• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

SYLVANIA SYNET07526 VIA 8505
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Received mine today. I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Wi-fi setup was straightforward - just need to specify my conn... (more)

chuckster (Apr. 10, 2013 @ 8:57p) |

The battery life is actually pretty decent. You kinda have to charge it like a full 16 hours before getting its full pot... (more)

greling (Apr. 14, 2013 @ 10:29a) |

How long is your battery lasting with Android 2.2?

chuckster (Apr. 14, 2013 @ 10:32a) |

Refurbished
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

IDK why OP had red when I came on here, whoever gave OP red is a richard cranium.

This is great for $30 for anyone with a younger kid that needs something low value to goto like fisherprice.com.

Sure is a slow POS but still for the price its not bad.

does this work with simcity?

Refurbished

rickt86 said:   IDK why OP had red when I came on here, whoever gave OP red is a richard cranium.

This is great for $30 for anyone with a younger kid that needs something low value to goto like fisherprice.com.

Sure is a slow POS but still for the price its not bad.

I didn't give him red, but I would not recommend this even at $30.

With 128M of ram and no graphics card, I am not sure you can even surf many sites.

SteveG

Don't forget to add the extended warranty for $44.95.

Limit 99995 per customer :/

What's the other color available?

cows123 said:   Don't forget to add the extended warranty for $44.95.

I'll sell a warranty for $35. If the item is broken, i'll buy you a new one for $30 = $5 profit :/

Would be great as a dedicated personal journal... Doogie Howser style.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxazXHUOHNw

Step by step instructions for Android OS upgrade

CAUTION: Adult language.

No HDMI out ruins it!

Is this better or worse than my 2005 Laptop that I still use today?

Necromancer said:   Is this better or worse than my 2005 Laptop that I still use today?
Probably *much* worse. I have a 2001 laptop that I still use that has a 2GHZ processor in it and is capable of running Windows Server 2003. This thing had Windows CE preloaded on it which was the core of the Windows Mobile operating system. The amount of memory as well as the processor speed ensure that the user experience when browsing all but the simplest of web site would be terrible. I suspect that Flash sites will perform poorly if at all on this system.

This thing was sold in places like Walgreens and other convenience stores and were intended to capitalize on the "netbook craze" that has since become the "tablet craze" where every retailer from the smallest gas station to places like Wal-Mart feel they have to offer a gadget in the under $100 range and then people actually buy them as impulse purchases.

You might be able to make the case if you are an electronics wizard that the sum of the parts makes this a worthwhile device if you plan to use it for spare parts for other electronic items, but just the labor to remove the parts would make it unattractive to me and you can probably guess that the quality of the internals are probably fairly poor at this price point.

I'd have to agree with another poster, not worth it at any price unless paperweights are more expensive.

ViveLeRoi said:   Necromancer said:   Is this better or worse than my 2005 Laptop that I still use today?
You might be able to make the case if you are an electronics wizard that the sum of the parts makes this a worthwhile device if you plan to use it for spare parts for other electronic items, but just the labor to remove the parts would make it unattractive to me and you can probably guess that the quality of the internals are probably fairly poor at this price point.

Yep, mine has been a worthy donor. The battery replaced my aging GPS battery, the charger works great on a portable DVD, and Dremeling a little bit on the case has made it into an worthwhile shell/kickstand for a Nexus. Shame, the case was the nicest part of it.

How is this just for instant messenging (IM) ? Are there any good client software ? I wouldn't dare do web browsing on it but might be good for just an IM machine due to the keyboard.

vegetation said:   How is this just for instant messenging (IM) ? Are there any good client software ? I wouldn't dare do web browsing on it but might be good for just an IM machine due to the keyboard.

Can't you do that on your phone?

I'm curious if this thing would run bluestacks and just use it for an android app player.

Seems like a decent price for someone who wants to drop archlinux arm on it

http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1553

I bought one before. Do not waste your money on this garbage.

I have come across a few of these over the years. I am a cable technician and every Christmas some opportunistic person will run an ad in the local paper offering brand new laptops for $100, the day after Christmas the phone number in the ads stops working.

In my experience they have a high hardware failure rate, in stock form aren't terribly useful even as a light internet browser, as they don't seem to properly support Flash or much of anything from that last ten years. The best comparison I can think of to these are the Internet Appliances of the late nineties.

Please remember that this device does not come with Windows XP or even 98, it comes with Windows CE, which was designed for PDA's and very early smartphones.

ETA: I am not giving red on this deal, because for $30, it is a functioning machine that could be of use to some people with very specific needs (I suspect this would make a decent VT100 emulator if there is a USB to Serial dongle driver available for CE).

ViveLeRoi said:   Necromancer said:   Is this better or worse than my 2005 Laptop that I still use today?
Probably *much* worse. I have a 2001 laptop that I still use that has a 2GHZ processor in it and is capable of running Windows Server 2003. This thing had Windows CE preloaded on it which was the core of the Windows Mobile operating system. The amount of memory as well as the processor speed ensure that the user experience when browsing all but the simplest of web site would be terrible. I suspect that Flash sites will perform poorly if at all on this system.

This thing was sold in places like Walgreens and other convenience stores and were intended to capitalize on the "netbook craze" that has since become the "tablet craze" where every retailer from the smallest gas station to places like Wal-Mart feel they have to offer a gadget in the under $100 range and then people actually buy them as impulse purchases.

I'd have to agree with another poster, not worth it at any price unless paperweights are more expensive.

Yeah my 2005 laptop is nearly 2 ghz with 2 gb of RAM, and every other spec maxed out for that time period. HD sucks but other than that it is good. My screen also is 1920x1200 (HD before HD was hip lol).

This Netbook could have been awesome if it had a 1 ghz processor and you could put whatever OS you wanted on it. I'd run Ubuntu for the speed alone.

The geek in me couldn't resist. In for $30 worth of fun/frustration.

ViveLeRoi said:   I'd have to agree with another poster, not worth it at any price unless paperweights are more expensive.

This, exactly. And I used to own one.

Completely worthless. Red even at free.

This is a great computer to give to a kid if you don't actually want to have using a computer. This would be top of the line in 1996 or in the slums of Zaire but it's useless otherwise.

shank said:   vegetation said:   How is this just for instant messenging (IM) ? Are there any good client software ? I wouldn't dare do web browsing on it but might be good for just an IM machine due to the keyboard.

Tell me what phone offers a keyboard with the same sized physical keys?

vegetation said:   shank said:   vegetation said:   How is this just for instant messenging (IM) ? Are there any good client software ? I wouldn't dare do web browsing on it but might be good for just an IM machine due to the keyboard.

I don't know, but I bet if one is found it won't fit in your pocket!

vegetation said:   shank said:   vegetation said:   How is this just for instant messenging (IM) ? Are there any good client software ? I wouldn't dare do web browsing on it but might be good for just an IM machine due to the keyboard.

Bluetooth Keyboard http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Bluetooth-Keyboard-8-9-Inch-A...

Just for laughs I tried pairing this keyboard with my Motorola Razr Maxx. It seems to work just fine

I've hacked this thing to run Android 2.2 and now it's pretty sweet. The stock OS of Windows CE, however, sucks.

Received mine today. I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Wi-fi setup was straightforward - just need to specify my connection password. Afterwards, I was able to use the included browser to access my Gmail account and do a few Google searches. Loaded up a 16GB SD card with some photos and video - slideshow of JPEGS was fine and the .WMV video file played with no problems, but I wasn't able to play an MP4 video file since there was no codec installed.

The major downside at this point is that battery was only good for about an hour. I may be able to stretch that a bit by turning off Wi-Fi and other options, but since this is a refurbished unit I think the battery is fairly worn out. An external battery might be another solution; I have one, but it doesn't have the correct DC plug for this unit.

The capabilities of this $30 unit are limited, but still useful. But don't buy one thinking that is comparable to a laptop or modern netbook, or even an smartphone - think PDA.

chuckster said:   Received mine today. I'm actually pleasantly surprised. Wi-fi setup was straightforward - just need to specify my connection password. Afterwards, I was able to use the included browser to access my Gmail account and do a few Google searches. Loaded up a 16GB SD card with some photos and video - slideshow of JPEGS was fine and the .WMV video file played with no problems, but I wasn't able to play an MP4 video file since there was no codec installed.

The major downside at this point is that battery was only good for about an hour. I may be able to stretch that a bit by turning off Wi-Fi and other options, but since this is a refurbished unit I think the battery is fairly worn out. An external battery might be another solution; I have one, but it doesn't have the correct DC plug for this unit.

The capabilities of this $30 unit are limited, but still useful. But don't buy one thinking that is comparable to a laptop or modern netbook, or even an smartphone - think PDA.

The battery life is actually pretty decent. You kinda have to charge it like a full 16 hours before getting its full potential (kinda ridiculous). It has even better battery life when running Android as an OS.

greling said:   
The battery life is actually pretty decent. You kinda have to charge it like a full 16 hours before getting its full potential (kinda ridiculous). It has even better battery life when running Android as an OS.

How long is your battery lasting with Android 2.2?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014