• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

HD Homerun Dual
Disclaimer
HDHomeRun DUAL - High Definition Digital TV Tuner (Network Attached) HDHR3-US (Black) by SiliconDust
Free HDMI cable w/ purchase, limited offer

Have one and love it - paid a good deal more for mine last year.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815345007

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

SiliconDust HDHomeRun DUAL HDHR3-US
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Can someone please comment on how this can be used as a practical application?

I am confused if you can receive cable (free) by having this device? For example, if I subscribe to Satellite TV, but then I buy one of these, would I be able still watch "over the air" channels for free, even though I am not a subscriber of my local cable company?

Having OTA channels via antenna is not practical for me, so this might be another option.

I understand I would not getting paid cable channels...I am just interested in the local channels I would get for free if I had an antenna.

bigittyben said:   Can someone please comment on how this can be used as a practical application?

I am confused if you can receive cable (free) by having this device? For example, if I subscribe to Satellite TV, but then I buy one of these, would I be able still watch "over the air" channels for free, even though I am not a subscriber of my local cable company?

Having OTA channels via antenna is not practical for me, so this might be another option.

I understand I would not getting paid cable channels...I am just interested in the local channels I would get for free if I had an antenna.

If your cable is clear QAM (i.e. works w/modern tv's w/no set top box), this will work for those cable channels.

It depends on your proximity to the broadcasting locations. See http://www.antennaweb.org/ to see if this can be of any use to you. You will probably want to use windows media center as the front end for the device if you find you're in a good location.

As far as being a useful tool for cable customers - - this thing isn't very useful (any more). Most cable companies have either crippled or removed ntsc broadcast altogether. I used to record the networks on this, and then cable on my HDHOMERUN prime, but my cable company dropped the HD broadcasts so all i can use it for is overflow for sd recording of the handful of channels still offered.

And as a side note, I have no idea why this is being offered with an HDMI cable -- It could only serve to confuse a customer into thinking that this device could be plugged directly into your tv. It can't.

Either deceptive or not very smart... not so good, Newegg. Next time, bundle it with user choice of a high quality splitter, or a small ATSC antenna.

I got this for $59 with free shipping from J&R last Friday, sans the unneeded HDMI cable, when for some reason it dropped from $79.99 for a few hours (on Amazon). Came yesterday, quick setup, then programmed my new HTPC and it started recording last night.

As noted, many cable companies scramble everything now, I bought this to cut the cord and save over $645 a year (with the HTPC).

Unfortunately it looks like most if not all of the advances and new features they are coming out with this year are going to only work with the prime model (needs cable card).

Decent price for the HD HomeRun Dual. This is mostly for OTA Antenna reception. You can get QAM-type cable, but as has been stated, cable companies are trying to get rid of that. No Cablecard support for this one.

In Windows Media Center, stations that I get 6/6 bars on with my internal Avermedia receiver card (2 receivers in the card like the HD HomeRun Dual) only come up as 5/6 or 4/6 with the HD HomeRun Dual. I experienced this with three different HD HomeRuns, so the receiver is ok, but not the most sensitive. YMMV.

In January, SiliconDust announced the dual-tuner OTA/clearQAM HDHR4-US. The HDHR4-US will serve as a DLNA source and transcode to h.264. If you want an OTA solution and don't need to feed your SageTV installation or PS3, this is a good price on an excellent network tuner.

I would think in the long run getting a quad tuner card would be best since you have to pay monthly for that cable card anyway and it's nice to have the 4 tuners if needed.

the price difference is nothing to sneeze at but if you want more than 2 tuners than it will end up costing you more in the long run to buy two of these instead of one of these. (Unless you are trying to do over the air but then again if you are trying to do over the air then why buy this tuner card when the non cable card tuners are cheaper?)

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1245253/

us said:   I would think in the long run getting a quad tuner card would be best since you have to pay monthly for that cable card anyway and it's nice to have the 4 tuners if needed.

the price difference is nothing to sneeze at but if you want more than 2 tuners than it will end up costing you more in the long run to buy two of these instead of one of these. (Unless you are trying to do over the air but then again if you are trying to do over the air then why buy this tuner card when the non cable card tuners are cheaper?)

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1245253/

I don't know what you see as cheaper. I needed an OTA tuner, no cable card capability, and buying this for $59 (I got it last Friday from J&R) is a great deal. I don't need any media extenders, I just needed this to go with my HTPC.

us said:   (Unless you are trying to do over the air but then again if you are trying to do over the air then why buy this tuner card when the non cable card tuners are cheaper?)Because this can serve 2 PCs at one time? I have it feeding signals to 2 WMC7 HTPCs.

excoriatorb said:   us said:   (Unless you are trying to do over the air but then again if you are trying to do over the air then why buy this tuner card when the non cable card tuners are cheaper?)Because this can serve 2 PCs at one time? I have it feeding signals to 2 WMC7 HTPCs.Exactly, I have one set up for every PC/laptop in the house.

Although I mostly used it linked to MC computer by the TV that serves as the DVR, it's nice to be able to sit out on the porch with a laptop and watch TV when I want.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014