**** SB6121 modem for $54.99 AR @newegg

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Linky

Regular price: $74.99
Save: $25.00 (25%)
$54.99 after $20.00 rebate card

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

MOTOROLA SB6121 SURFboard Cable Modem RJ-45
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
So, are you blaming the modem or Comcast for the way wireless signals travel through walls? Google "Increasing wifi ran... (more)

reddhead (Apr. 05, 2013 @ 11:03a) |

I have a Netgear Router Model Number: WNR2000 puchased in July last yr, but started using since 3 months along with this... (more)

MysteriousGirl (Apr. 05, 2013 @ 2:16p) |

Ok, I have found the solution. If you are on TWC in NC then don't buy this modem unless you want your speed cut in half.... (more)

markbyte (Apr. 05, 2013 @ 11:49p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you add $25.01 worth of stuff, the VALPAK10 coupon stacks to take $10 off.

I love me some Fatwallet... shopping these last week... N41

I recently got this modem replacing my old DOCSIS 2.0 with this modem's DOCSIS 3.0. Before, with the old modem my speed was 30mbps. After upgrading to this modem it dropped in half to 15mbps. Now I regret I got it. I don't think it's the modem itself I think the cable company has better control over this modem's bandwidth so they are now capping it whereas they were not before.

markbyte said:   I recently got this modem replacing my old DOCSIS 2.0 with this modem's DOCSIS 3.0. Before, with the old modem my speed was 30mbps. After upgrading to this modem it dropped in half to 15mbps. Now I regret I got it. I don't think it's the modem itself I think the cable company has better control over this modem's bandwidth so they are now capping it whereas they were not before.

I am also having the same experience with SB6141 modem (Provider is Time Warner Cable). Earlier with TWC provided modem, I uses to get 20-25Mbps. After upgrading to SB6141, my speed fluctuates between 0-15mbps (I am on 15Mbps plan).

Purchased an SB6141 from an eBay seller for $68.00. I had an SB5101(?) and did a speedtest immediately before switching to the SB6141 and after.

Time Warner Cable
Before: 24 Mbps download
After: 15 Mbps download

WTF?? I moved from DOCSIS 2.0 to 3.0 and got a speed reduction. Everything else being the same (e.g., upload speed, jitter)

jhuflyer said:   Purchased an SB6141 from an eBay seller for $68.00. I had an SB5101(?) and did a speedtest immediately before switching to the SB6141 and after.

Time Warner Cable
Before: 24 Mbps download
After: 15 Mbps download

WTF?? I moved from DOCSIS 2.0 to 3.0 and got a speed reduction. Everything else being the same (e.g., upload speed, jitter)


Yep, the same thing happened to me as I stated earlier. TWC was not enforcing data speed caps with DOCSIS 2.0 but they are enforcing it with DOCSIS 3.0.

Can I have your old modem? LOL

No wireless

How does the SB6121 compare to the SB6141?

mickey75 said:   Can I have your old modem? LOL

It belongs to TWC. But you can buy one just like it SB5101 off of Amazon used for $17. That's what I'm going to do. Once I get the SB5101 back online my speed will bump back up to 30mbps since they are not enforcing data caps for DOCSIS 2.0 devices.

CaptCaveman said:   How does the SB6121 compare to the SB6141?

Both models are able to channel bond up to four upstream channels, but the new model is able to channel bond up to eight down stream channels, a theoretical throughput capacity of 320Mbps (double that of the SB6121).

Is this true for Brighthouse as well, or just TWC?

What is the advantages of DOCSIS 3.0 (to end users)? If not for DOCSIS3.0, Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem can be had at Amzaon at $47.33 with free shipping, two years of warranty and great reviews.

I got this email from Comcast on 3/29

Dear Valued Customer,

Great news! We've increased your Internet speed!

Now the download speed on your Performance Internet service is up to 33% faster with speeds up to 20 Mbps and we have doubled your upload speeds up to 4 Mbps.

What does this mean for you? You now have more speed so everyone can get online and do more on their devices all at the same time. Stream HD movies and TV shows, download music and game online all at faster speeds. It's just another way we're continuing to keep you connected to the people and entertainment you care about.

To ensure your modem is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem and can take advantage of this speed increase, please click here.


I have been using a SB6121 for a while, and have not noticed a change from what I was getting before, DL around 24mb and UL around 3.2mb.

markbyte said:   jhuflyer said:   Purchased an SB6141 from an eBay seller for $68.00. I had an SB5101(?) and did a speedtest immediately before switching to the SB6141 and after.

Time Warner Cable
Before: 24 Mbps download
After: 15 Mbps download

WTF?? I moved from DOCSIS 2.0 to 3.0 and got a speed reduction. Everything else being the same (e.g., upload speed, jitter)


Yep, the same thing happened to me as I stated earlier. TWC was not enforcing data speed caps with DOCSIS 2.0 but they are enforcing it with DOCSIS 3.0.
IOW the $3/month opportunity cost of NOT purchasing a new modem with TWC Turbo service delivers a faster connection than the same service with one's own DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I guess I'll continue paying the $3/month and be satisfied.

excoriatorb said:   markbyte said:   jhuflyer said:   Purchased an SB6141 from an eBay seller for $68.00. I had an SB5101(?) and did a speedtest immediately before switching to the SB6141 and after.

Time Warner Cable
Before: 24 Mbps download
After: 15 Mbps download

WTF?? I moved from DOCSIS 2.0 to 3.0 and got a speed reduction. Everything else being the same (e.g., upload speed, jitter)


Yep, the same thing happened to me as I stated earlier. TWC was not enforcing data speed caps with DOCSIS 2.0 but they are enforcing it with DOCSIS 3.0.
IOW the $3/month opportunity cost of NOT purchasing a new modem with TWC Turbo service delivers a faster connection than the same service with one's own DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I guess I'll continue paying the $3/month and be satisfied.


But why not get an identical used modem from Amazon for $18? Then you won't have to pay the $4 monthly fee and you'll have the old speeds again.

Don't fall for this "rebate card". If you bought a Redmere HDMI cable from the posting here about 3 weeks ago as I did, you got scammed. Redmere went out of business 4 months before the "rebate sale"...they were just dumping the rest of their inventory on suckers who think they are getting a bargain with a rebate...that money is never coming.

belgique said:   Don't fall for this "rebate card". If you bought a Redmere HDMI cable from the posting here about 3 weeks ago as I did, you got scammed. Redmere went out of business 4 months before the "rebate sale"...they were just dumping the rest of their inventory on suckers who think they are getting a bargain with a rebate...that money is never coming.
There needs to be a mega-red button for the annoying bold type, let alone the content.

Newegg rebates are administered on their own behalf, not on the product manufacturer's. They very recently have offered rebates on Redmere cables, so I seriously doubt they would promote an offer like that and not plan of fulfilling the rebate. If you ran into a rebate snafu, you of course contacted the rebate processor and/or Newegg directly, right? What did they say when you explained your problem?

I have several Newegg rebates in process--including for Redmere cables--and all are being processed without issue.

organickiller said:   What is the advantages of DOCSIS 3.0 (to end users)? If not for DOCSIS3.0, Motorola SURFboard SB5101U DOCSIS 2.0 Cable Modem can be had at Amzaon at $47.33 with free shipping, two years of warranty and great reviews.

The potential for faster speeds. DOCSIS 3.0 is faster than DOCSIS 2.0.

2.0 supports up to 48 MBit, while as far as I can tell 3.0 has no theoretical maximum. (Obviously any given hardware config would have a maximum, but the protocol doesn't).

The caveat (and the reason I say "potential" above) is that most ISPs have an artificial cap on the speed - you have to pay more money to get higher speeds. If your ISP has you capped at 6 Mbit, then upgrading to a faster modem won't do much. It's like getting a faster car - you can only actually go faster if you're not driving on roads capped at 25 MPH.

oh wow, i bought the same modem for 100$...i wish i could return mine, but its too late....good deal

Like some other people, when I upgraded from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0, my Comcast speed went down from 22 Mbps to around 14-15 Mbps, but the next day, it came back normal as before, now I'm getting around 22 down and 4.5 up. I am on their performance plan.
I think I had to reboot my wireless router as well.

DirtCheap said:   Like some other people, when I upgraded from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0, my Comcast speed went down from 22 Mbps to around 14-15 Mbps, but the next day, it came back normal as before, now I'm getting around 22 down and 4.5 up. I am on their performance plan.
I think I had to reboot my wireless router as well.



I too upgraded from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0, my Comcast speed went down from 20+ Mbps to 12-15 Mbps with router. Called Comcast to check on this, said the new modem details(MAC and serial number) were not updated in the billing dept, not sure how not being updated in billing dept would bring down my speed.

If I check the speed directly from modem the speed is atleast 50Mbps (I am on blast speed), when checked with router in the same room, it is 28Mbps or so, and in next door room it is 12-15 and upstairs it is 2-3Mbps. Upstairs it is a headache, as my xbox gets disconnecting every other sec. Not sure how to correct this problem.

Gee, I feel guilty. I upgraded to the 6121 and, if anything, my speed increased. I'm a Cox customer at a rated speed of 15M. Speakeasy.net shows 32M down & 13.7M up.

I too upgraded from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0, my Comcast speed went down from 20+ Mbps to 12-15 Mbps with router. Called Comcast to check on this, said the new modem details(MAC and serial number) were not updated in the billing dept, not sure how not being updated in billing dept would bring down my speed.

If I check the speed directly from modem the speed is atleast 50Mbps (I am on blast speed), when checked with router in the same room, it is 28Mbps or so, and in next door room it is 12-15 and upstairs it is 2-3Mbps. Upstairs it is a headache, as my xbox gets disconnecting every other sec. Not sure how to correct this problem.
---

What kind of router do you have? Buy a good router, if this doesn't help then setup wireless bridge. My modem and router are in basement and I have no problem getting strong Wi-Fi signal from my first and second floor. I have ASUS RT-N66U router.

Great, just bought one.

People with the issues should call their respective carriers as there is special provisioning that needs to occur to get any faster speeds and many times when you just call in to activate the modem they don't bother or they are at a lower tech level and don't know. Just speak with tech. support. I heard, not a fact for sure just heard, that the DOCSIS 2.0 caps at around 38mbps so to get more than that you would need a DOCSIS 3.0 . I'm on "blast" speed from Comcast and with my DOCSIS 3.0 modem I'm getting 59-63 down and 11 up.


Good luck!

akbungle said:   People with the issues should call their respective carriers as there is special provisioning that needs to occur to get any faster speeds and many times when you just call in to activate the modem they don't bother or they are at a lower tech level and don't know. Just speak with tech. support. I heard, not a fact for sure just heard, that the DOCSIS 2.0 caps at around 38mbps so to get more than that you would need a DOCSIS 3.0 . I'm on "blast" speed from Comcast and with my DOCSIS 3.0 modem I'm getting 59-63 down and 11 up.


Good luck!



Yep ask them to make sure it has the most current firmware. They usually check/update when you call but as said many juts turn it on and don't check.

Logician1313 said:   CaptCaveman said:   How does the SB6121 compare to the SB6141?

Both models are able to channel bond up to four upstream channels, but the new model is able to channel bond up to eight down stream channels, a theoretical throughput capacity of 320Mbps (double that of the SB6121).


The 6141 is the white one, right? It also has Gigabit ethernet jack, other than that and the above-stated info, I havent been able to find any difference. Other than white looks better

MysteriousGirl said:   DirtCheap said:   Like some other people, when I upgraded from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0, my Comcast speed went down from 22 Mbps to around 14-15 Mbps, but the next day, it came back normal as before, now I'm getting around 22 down and 4.5 up. I am on their performance plan.
I think I had to reboot my wireless router as well.



I too upgraded from DOCSIS 2.0 to DOCSIS 3.0, my Comcast speed went down from 20+ Mbps to 12-15 Mbps with router. Called Comcast to check on this, said the new modem details(MAC and serial number) were not updated in the billing dept, not sure how not being updated in billing dept would bring down my speed.

If I check the speed directly from modem the speed is atleast 50Mbps (I am on blast speed), when checked with router in the same room, it is 28Mbps or so, and in next door room it is 12-15 and upstairs it is 2-3Mbps. Upstairs it is a headache, as my xbox gets disconnecting every other sec. Not sure how to correct this problem.


So, are you blaming the modem or Comcast for the way wireless signals travel through walls? Google "Increasing wifi range".

What kind of router do you have? Buy a good router, if this doesn't help then setup wireless bridge. My modem and router are in basement and I have no problem getting strong Wi-Fi signal from my first and second floor. I have ASUS RT-N66U router.

I have a Netgear Router Model Number: WNR2000 puchased in July last yr, but started using since 3 months along with this new modem(SB6121) I bought, for my Comcast service started this Jan.

The 50-60 Mbps speed that I mentioned is when I use the cable from the router to my PC directly (modem to router and then router to PC directly). This made me believe that my router too did not have any problems.

I am not a tech person and hence any help would be appreciated.

TIA

excoriatorb said:   markbyte said:   jhuflyer said:   Purchased an SB6141 from an eBay seller for $68.00. I had an SB5101(?) and did a speedtest immediately before switching to the SB6141 and after.

Time Warner Cable
Before: 24 Mbps download
After: 15 Mbps download

WTF?? I moved from DOCSIS 2.0 to 3.0 and got a speed reduction. Everything else being the same (e.g., upload speed, jitter)


Yep, the same thing happened to me as I stated earlier. TWC was not enforcing data speed caps with DOCSIS 2.0 but they are enforcing it with DOCSIS 3.0.
IOW the $3/month opportunity cost of NOT purchasing a new modem with TWC Turbo service delivers a faster connection than the same service with one's own DOCSIS 3.0 modem. I guess I'll continue paying the $3/month and be satisfied.


Ok, I have found the solution. If you are on TWC in NC then don't buy this modem unless you want your speed cut in half. On the DOCSIS 2.0 modems they have no way to enforce speed caps but on DOCSIS 3.0 modems they do. I bought this modem originally and saw my speed cut in half. I then went on Amazon and bought a used DOCSIS 2.0 modem (SB5101) and now my speed is back up to 30mps. TWC *knows* what's going on too because they tried everything to talk me into buying a higher speed plan. It's only $10 more, etc. They know you are going to get higher speeds with the DOCSIS 2.0 modem so they are trying to get more money for it. I just said no. Mission accomplished! I now have my regular speeds back and I will no longer have to pay the $4 per month rental fee. The used SB5101 modem only cost me $18 on Amazon.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014