• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Pantech Element (P4100) 16GB Tablet - AT&T (Scratch 'n' Dent) - for $143.96

20% off with coupon code SAVE20 Confirmed

Expires 04.16.13 -

$2 S&H or free shipping on 5 or more items

http://www.all4cellular.com/product/pantech-element-p4100-16gb-t...

Member Summary

pantech (23.50kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Sorry. . . . I meant ICS.

What does "tether" do and what is a safe way to do it?

WootHead (Apr. 20, 2013 @ 5:53a) |

All in all, I'm enjoying my Pantech Element. I really wanted a little larger size than a typical 7" tablet, and this 8" ... (more)

WootHead (Apr. 21, 2013 @ 12:17p) |

Thanks to the OP, I think that this has to be one of the best deals on a refurb/used tablet. This is our 3rd Tablet w... (more)

OrygunSunset (Jun. 03, 2013 @ 3:19p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In for One. Seems like a nice tablet. Pretty fast speeds based on tests I've seen at a few sites and comparable to even the Samsung Galaxy back last year. I like bargains like this that are high quality, were leading edge awhile ago, and still very comparable to tablets today. Also, the +8" screen size places it nicely in between the 7" tablets and 10" tablets.

Both Pantech and AT&T have websites with lot's of info and. . . .. update to Android ICS (Ice Cream Sandwich) Operating System.

The only tablets that are near this size and in this price range are no name units that seem to be cheap and problematic. AT&T still sells this unit in 3G and 4G service areas. I ordered one. So green for you.

Pantech Element P4100 Speed Tests

1.5GHZ Dual core processor:
1.5-GHz Qualcomm APQ 8060 CPU
1GB memeory with 16GB internal storage
32GB (64GB also?) Micro SD capable
Google Play
6,400mah Battery and up to 12 hours of run time (Longer Standby)
Possible AT&T appstore.

Plus More.. ..

Got mine today.

I have tried to put into it a sim card I removed from my at&t nokia lumia 920 windows phone. However the tablet cannot initialize sim/data.

Is this supposed to work or do I need to buy a dedicated plan from at&t ?

I think the Pantech Element needs to be activated and have an AT&T SIM installed specifically for the Pantech Element. You can;t just plug a SIM card in. You have to get an unlock code also, possibley and you might call AT&T to ask for the unlock code. People have done that, but tell them they will be travelling to Europe and want to use a local London or whatever phone service.

How is it so far. We would appreciate your impressions and does it have Google Play?

Oh. . . and you can find out a ton of info just by doing searches for "PAntech Element" and Pantech Element review". There are several forums with some posts on them.I searched for several before I bought mine. I still don;t have mine and I ordered last Friday.

AT&T checks IMEIs now, you need an AT&T tablet data plan.

I would pass unless you need a waterproof tablet. Android 5 is coming in less than a month, anything below Jelly Bean is going to become stale fast.

WootHead said:   I think the Pantech Element needs to be activated and have an AT&T SIM installed specifically for the Pantech Element. You can;t just plug a SIM card in. You have to get an unlock code also, possibley and you might call AT&T to ask for the unlock code. People have done that, but tell them they will be travelling to Europe and want to use a local London or whatever phone service.

How is it so far. We would appreciate your impressions and does it have Google Play?

I spoke with AT&T and I was told that they need to switch my phone plan to that device which I refused to do.

However they gave me an unlock code, but I only have AT&T sim card so I am not sure how to enter it because there is no "dialer". There are instructions how to do it here but again they do not show a dialer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4B85YTQh2k

My impressions. This is my first android device. It came in a shipping box with only the device and usb cable/power adapter. No manual, no box or any other accessories.

Its light, the size seems to be right. Its quite snappy. It came with android honeycomb 3.2.1. I upgraded it to ICS 4.0.4.

The only reason I bought it is to use it with a sim card from my phone (unlimited data). I am going to bit a bullet and buy a data service from ting and see if it is going to work that way.

I intend it to use it only on the go, so if I can't get a reasonably priced data plan on it quickly, I am going to return it.

tigi said:   The only reason I bought it is to use it with a sim card from my phone (unlimited data). I am going to bit a bullet and buy a data service from ting and see if it is going to work that way.

I intend it to use it only on the go, so if I can't get a reasonably priced data plan on it quickly, I am going to return it.

ATT have a $15/250MB plan that I used for two years for occasional use, but there is no way to activate mobile phone service if you stay with ATT, so I went to TMo and their $30/100min, unlimited text and data plan. If the Pantech has the physical ability to place calls, and you want to use it, then take it elsewhere.

I had one. SIM unlocks are cheap. Just tether it tho, IMHO.

The Pantech Element website has the update for Android ICS 4.04 at least. Many postive reviews and it can be rooted. It was a a great deal for $146.

tigi said:   

I spoke with AT&T and I was told that they need to switch my phone plan to that device which I refused to do.

However they gave me an unlock code, but I only have AT&T sim card so I am not sure how to enter it because there is no "dialer". There are instructions how to do it here but again they do not show a dialer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4B85YTQh2k

My impressions. This is my first android device. It came in a shipping box with only the device and usb cable/power adapter. No manual, no box or any other accessories.

Its light, the size seems to be right. Its quite snappy. It came with android honeycomb 3.2.1. I upgraded it to ICS 4.0.4.

The only reason I bought it is to use it with a sim card from my phone (unlimited data). I am going to bit a bullet and buy a data service from ting and see if it is going to work that way.

Well, the AT&T 3GB data plan is only $30 a month. Not too bad, but I've read where people have switched SIMs and used other data plans. There are instructions at several websites how to unlock and also get another SIM operational. There is a certain procedure to perform to get the new SIM working. You could try a prepaid SIM from some provide also, just to test.

beachfitrob said:   I had one. SIM unlocks are cheap. Just tether it tho, IMHO.

How do you tether it? Where can a person find out how to do that? Thanks.

Well, I got my Pantech yesterday and am happy with it. It looks like it is brand new. Narry a finger print or scratch on it anywhere. It came with differnt AC adapter/charger though, so maybe that's why it was a "refurb". Will now upgrade to Android ICS on the Pantech site and install some apps. I will probably root it also. Even with the stock OS on it it seems to run pretty smooth and responsive. Cameras (front and rear) and picture taking work great.

While this is unit is not the latest and greatest, it compares well with the pricier models and quality of Samsung S2 and has a larger screen. Very versatile, fluid and fast. There is always something new around the corner , but this is a far better unit than the no-name Androids out there and has a decent support website. I also got the BodyGlove nylon case/stand for $5 and a 16GB micro SD card for $11 on Amazon. I looked at a LOT of other Androids and this is by far the best quality/performance and size for this price.

I would rather spend $50 or $60 more on something like this than get a sub par Android for $80 to $120.

Hey guys,
Could this tablet be unlocked to be used with T-Mobile? If yes, any link to the DIY?
Thanks.

Yes it can. This unit comes with no SIM. Do some google searches and look on eBay. You will need at least 2 or 3 SIMs tho . Then, once unlocked yoe can pop in a T-Mobile Sim.

You need to buy unlock code from eBay, it will cost you 1$, make sure to provide correct IMEI from the settings , not from the back of the tablet, that number may be incorrect. You need any not ATT sim, to pop into the tablet, it will come up with a dialog - unrecorgnized SIM, type into your bought unlock code. You will need a micro SIM, or regular SIM cut to micro size, specs are on the net.

This unit is even better when the upgrade to ICS is done. Took me two tries. Pantec site must be busy and first download of Ice Cream Sandwich was incomplete and would not unzip. Another 45 minutes and unzipped and installed. Very nice tablet for under $150. Especially with dual core 1.5GHZ processor. 16GB internal memory, additional 16GB micro SD upgradable, two cameras, Google Play, nice 8" screen size, and more.

WootHead said:    Will now upgrade to Android Jellybean on the Pantech site and install some apps.

Can you post a link for a jelly bean update ? The only update I see on pantech website is for ICS:
https://www.pantechusa.com/upgrade/element/

Too bad the sale is over. But my phone use a full size sim card. So if I cut it to micro, is there an adapter so it would fit my phone?
Thanks,

alyosha said:   You need to buy unlock code from eBay, it will cost you 1$, make sure to provide correct IMEI from the settings , not from the back of the tablet, that number may be incorrect. You need any not ATT sim, to pop into the tablet, it will come up with a dialog - unrecorgnized SIM, type into your bought unlock code. You will need a micro SIM, or regular SIM cut to micro size, specs are on the net.

tigi said:   WootHead said:    Will now upgrade to Android Jellybean on the Pantech site and install some apps.

Can you post a link for a jelly bean update ? The only update I see on pantech website is for ICS:
https://www.pantechusa.com/upgrade/element/

Sorry. . . . I meant ICS.

What does "tether" do and what is a safe way to do it?

All in all, I'm enjoying my Pantech Element. I really wanted a little larger size than a typical 7" tablet, and this 8" 4:3 format screen works so much better than a 7" 16:9 format screen. Much more useful screen area. A few reviews also mentioned this aspect. After the ICS update, I did have a problem with the clock time not updating. I read that a reset would do it and not it works. Then, it even reloaded a few apps I had already installed from Google Play.

Wondering about battery replacement down the road. I tend to keep my electronics a lot longer than most folks and will do some searches for a battery and installing it. I also think the cameras work pretty well including video. This will be nice to put pictures on and take with me instead of a laptop. On that note, the 14" Acer laptop I have had for almost 3 years cost about $250 on a deal back then, but I added memory and extra battery so the total cost was higher. Two different applications, but I would never want to give my laptop up for a tablet.

Any others thoughts or observations? Has anyone come across any good web sites with more useful tips on this tablet or Android ownership? Please share.

Thanks to the OP, I think that this has to be one of the best deals on a refurb/used tablet. This is our 3rd Tablet we have added to our household over the last year, a 8" Pandigital Supernova (Best Buy Display model last fall $75 - a decent entry tablet better than (faster - more options than the 7" iView (754TPC) $59 from Newegg last BF it benchmarks 5X slower than this Tab and 2.5x slower than the Supernova.

I snagged a Panntech Element on eBay for $119 shipped LNIB - no scratches. Excellent Battery life. This tablet is fast enough to actually surf the web on (only tried WI-FI so far) I unlocked it with a code from e-Bay for $1. Going to order a Micro-Sim from either Straight-Talk or T-Mobile for . Bang for the Buck this beats all hands down.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014