• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
On the fence, but thinking to get this to step up from Surface RT, and run Win apps.

$50 coupon code: S50W510
Also $50 rebate and $12 back in FatCash.

Oh, yeah, you want to get to it...

W510

Tiger Direct
See Tiger Direct promo codes that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Acer Iconia W510-1620
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Acer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Link?

Doh!

Thanx db! Now I'm on the fence with ya! lol!

Ouch, only 32GB? How much space will you even have left for programs after the base install?

magnafides said:   Ouch, only 32GB? How much space will you even have left for programs after the base install?

Shell out another 20 bux for a 32GB microSD and you have doubled it...

Which means Windows8 tablets are going to have a big price drop soon.

Kujira said:   Which means Windows8 tablets are going to have a big price drop soon.

Kind of what I'm thinking. Either Bay Trail or i3 tablet for a reasonable price before long.

I got the w510-1666 at http://www.rakuten.com/ a few weeks ago for $460. It is the 64gb version of this. I like it so far although I would recommend getting the keyboard dock.

nickk said:   I got the w510-1666 at http://www.rakuten.com/ a few weeks ago for $460. It is the 64gb version of this. I like it so far although I would recommend getting the keyboard dock.

I assume you didn't get the dock with, at that price? I've seen a lot of negative professional reviews for the dock. That was part of what kept me on the fence.

For some reason, I just can't ever associate anything with an Atom processor as being powerful enough.

BamBam0099 said:   For some reason, I just can't ever associate anything with an Atom processor as being powerful enough.

You are not far off on this observation. You are limited to 32 bit operation and perhaps also 2GB of RAM, so its not just like a slower i5. These are slightly faster netbooks, not tablet laptops like the surface pro is.

When the next gen of low power core i chips are in production these devices will be actually have very usable computing capability as well as iPad or Android like battery life. Perhaps the embedded SSDs will be a more useful 128 and 256GB capacity as well.

I would love this in a 4x3 screen form factor to. Wide screen is ideal for a DVD or streaming video players but not for tablets where you use on screen keyboards.

magnafides said:   Ouch, only 32GB? How much space will you even have left for programs after the base install?

You can get the 64 gb model for $50 more or put in a 32 gb card.

after installing office 2013 pro plus on it, and Adobe acrobat pro 11, I have about 6gb free on the 32gb internal drive.
I do have a 32gb sd card but find this tablet has issues with SD, often will make the sd disappear for a few seconds at random intervals. Tried several known good micro sd and they all show the same issue so I think its issue with acer hw or firmware.

Note this thing has some strange issue with the Netflix app. (not going directly to Netflix website, but using the app from the windows 8 store) if you watch a move it works fine, if you watch something with multiple episodes, when it changes from one episode to another, often it'll crash the whole machine, the screen will go black for a few seconds, then it'll bring you back to the login screen again and often reset many of your settings.

I bought one of these 32gb models during the Christmas deals (I think it was 399?) and it's a decent tablet but if you have used a iPad it's quite frustrating to use. The apps aren't there, the web browsing is less friendly, and things just feel off and annoying when I used it. I hate apple with a passion but the feel of their products is just superior. This tablet can certainly run windows applications, and Microsoft may even continue to update Windows 8 to a usable point. I found issues where the keyboard won't pop up when it should, and other things that just make it very frustrating to the point of going to a desktop instead! The 32gb was a little tight with Office installed as well and the wifi was a little buggy. Build quality however is pretty good and it looks and feels nice.

If you can wait I'd suggest doing so, the next generation should be near.

I have the 64GB version and like someone else mentioned, Get the dock. With the dock it's a handy and very usable ultra portable laptop / tablet. If you spend any time at all in the desktop, which is where I spend most of my time, then you really need a decent keyboard and track pad and I'd recommend the dock.

It's a very usable little system. The touch screen is very responsive and it has great battery life. The speed is better than I expected. It's no powerhouse, but it isn't a netbook from a few years ago.

Personally I find web browsing quite speedy and enjoyable on this thing. Unfortunately you have to use IE to really get the most of out if as Chrome doesn't support touch. IE is surprisingly responsive though and I'm getting over having to use it. Having USB ports is a real bonus. I've been using USB Ethernet adapters, a serial adapter and flash drives which all work flawlessly with no need to install additional drivers.

It does have a few quirks that annoy me, like there is no ability to hibernate the system. It has excellent battery life at over 8 hours on most days for me, but it still uses a fair bit of juice just sitting in sleep mode.

Without the dock any Windows 8 system (at least in the desktop) will be quite limited and frustrating IMO. With it, its a pretty versatile little system. Not perfect, but not bad.

willp2 said:   It does have a few quirks that annoy me, like there is no ability to hibernate the system. It has excellent battery life at over 8 hours on most days for me, but it still uses a fair bit of juice just sitting in sleep mode.

Is hibernate just not enabled?

Also, does anyone know if this is limited to SDHC, or can you use SDXC? Seems 32GB extra might not be enough, and certainly it would make sense to get 64 or 128GB if you are going to pay for more capacity.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.