• Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
eBay has this deal. This is the newest of the windows phone with super slick design.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251262172...

edit:

The image shown below is that of HTC 8S but the one they are actually selling is 8X which is the high end device.

Member Summary

HTC 8X Windows phone (46.83kB)
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
No offense but your logic doesn't make sense. I remember my mothers checkbook being stolen when I was young, something w... (more)

outtawhack (Apr. 20, 2013 @ 9:16p) |

Likewise no offense, but your perspective is a bit of a stretch in many places. First, a check book is not taken out a... (more)

WootHead (Apr. 21, 2013 @ 3:03a) |

I'm still using a Nokia 6730 from about 2007. I have unlimited data (non-smartphones) for $15/month through At&T. Unlimi... (more)

jaymez619 (Apr. 26, 2013 @ 2:37p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › HTC

Windows OS...pass

DSJ said:   Windows OS...pass

OS is Windows Phone, not Windows. Have you even ever used it extensively? Better yet, don't answer. Let's just discuss whether this is a good price for the phone instead of have an OS battle.

Nice deal for a great phone. If this would have had expandable memory or 32 gigs, would have been the best of the windows phones...

Looks like the AT&T bands.

mase123987 said:   DSJ said:   Windows OS...pass

OS is Windows Phone, not Windows. Have you even ever used it extensively? Better yet, don't answer. Let's just discuss whether this is a good price for the phone instead of have an OS battle.


I have a cheap Palm phone you should LOVE. Because we only want to discuss the price, not argue the OS.

The only people I've seen carrying around a Windows phone are IT nerds over 30.

dzer0 said:   The only people I've seen carrying around a Windows phone are IT nerds over 30.

Way to add to the thread.

the windows OS is pretty nice, like it better than ios and android

DSJ said:   Windows OS...pass
Take your comment to fan boy tech forums. Deals discussions only please.

dzer0 said:   The only people I've seen carrying around a Windows phone are IT nerds over 30.

So you take note as to what everyone else's buying when you decide which phone to get for yourself?

jaymez619 said:   dzer0 said:   The only people I've seen carrying around a Windows phone are IT nerds over 30.

So you take note as to what everyone else's buying when you decide which phone to get for yourself?


Actually that isn't a bad idea, it gives a good idea if you're going to have an ecosystem for your product in a year or two. Good luck getting support for Windows Phone 8 after Microsoft decides it's a failure and scraps the project, but I guess you can buy a Windows RT tablet and double down on the fail.

I used to own an HD-DVD add-on for my XBOX 360, and I might even have a Zune kicking around still.

dzer0 said:   jaymez619 said:   dzer0 said:   The only people I've seen carrying around a Windows phone are IT nerds over 30.

So you take note as to what everyone else's buying when you decide which phone to get for yourself?


Actually that isn't a bad idea, it gives a good idea if you're going to have an ecosystem for your product in a year or two. Good luck getting support for Windows Phone 8 after Microsoft decides it's a failure and scraps the project, but I guess you can buy a Windows RT tablet and double down on the fail.

I used to own an HD-DVD add-on for my XBOX 360, and I might even have a Zune kicking around still.


I see a lot of people (younger than 30) upgrade their phone every two years or less, especially if they damage their phone before they're eligible for an upgrade. Windows phones (nor iOS/Android) will not go obsolete overnight. I never heard of anyone worried about support for their phones; not even the PalmOS users when they suddenly went over the cliff.

Does it work for Virgin Mobile? Thanks

What's the best pre paid provider for this? Can it be used with the WalMart tmobile $30 plan? How do you get a sim for that? Thanks

No

Buy a Windows phone before April 30th and get a free 4gb Zune!!!!! Brown I think.

Holy data plan Batman. . . I still am using my 10 year old plain old Nokia. It doesn't even have a camera!

I actually love my Nokia. I can actually make phone calls even way up in the hinterlands of Northern Wisconsin where my kids just stare at their phone blinking. . "No Service". Then it's great fun to watch them go through texting withdrawal. And then if they happened to leave the charger at home, not even any game playing! Just messin' with ya gang. This seems like a pretty good deal on a newly released Vindows phone.

Seriously, I'm wondering if this is all really necessary or we are just falling into a big consumer trap of never ending phone purchases?

WootHead said:   Holy data plan Batman. . . I still am using my 10 year old plain old Nokia. It doesn't even have a camera!

I actually love my Nokia. I can actually make phone calls even way up in the hinterlands of Northern Wisconsin where my kids just stare at their phone blinking. . "No Service". Then it's great fun to watch them go through texting withdrawal. And then if they happened to leave the charger at home, not even any game playing! Just messin' with ya gang. This seems like a pretty good deal on a newly released Vindows phone.

Seriously, I'm wondering if this is all really necessary or we are just falling into a big consumer trap of never ending phone purchases?


Is any mobile phone truly necessary?

This is not a trap. Smartphones are relatively new and have been maturing quickly. There is a huge difference in the capabilities an features of a phone from year to year. It is starting to slow down in terms of hardware horsepower but the newest software will always work better on the newest hardware.

If you are happy with a dumbphone that's great but you are missing out on a lot of useful applications, like being able to deposit checks by taking a picture from your phone to GPS navigation better than any car or portable unit to reading your voicemails in a transcribed email b

Since smartphones are maturing and so widely adopted its grea t see devices like this at the 299-399 price point which IMO is where they should be so people can start buying their phones with contracts and subsidies so the big carriers can lower their prices for service like tmobile recently did.

outtawhack said:   
Is any mobile phone truly necessary?

This is not a trap. Smartphones are relatively new and have been maturing quickly. There is a huge difference in the capabilities an features of a phone from year to year. It is starting to slow down in terms of hardware horsepower but the newest software will always work better on the newest hardware.

If you are happy with a dumbphone that's great but you are missing out on a lot of useful applications, like being able to deposit checks by taking a picture from your phone to GPS navigation better than any car or portable unit to reading your voicemails in a transcribed email b

Since smartphones are maturing and so widely adopted its grea t see devices like this at the 299-399 price point which IMO is where they should be so people can start buying their phones with contracts and subsidies so the big carriers can lower their prices for service like tmobile recently did.


Yeah. . . I suppose the features you list are useful to some. I just bought a Pantech Element (for LOTS less than $300 - $400) and it will do most of what you mentioned including GPS and do 3G and 4G from AT&T. But my good ol Nokia works where most phones will not. Dumb Phone? Maybe. . but it is a PHONE. Not a technotoy.

I realize that tech keeps advancing. But I also think that it increase the risk of hacking your bank accounts ( photo check processing, , Yikes! ) and also is a bit of a consumer trap amongst the younger crowd who seem to be more peer presured to have the latest and questionable greatest. I've seen many in the under 30, or even over 30, crowd that HAVE to get new phones twice a year! That is a bit nutz.

I'm not missing out on much of anything in my opinion. And I don't care for the added risks of handling so much personal data over a device that can be hacked or so easily lost and stolen.

There are no apps for windows phones. Buy either Apple ios phone or an android phone. I believe that windows for smartphones is on the way out. So few manufacturers are using it.

Tronek said:   There are no apps for windows phones. Buy either Apple ios phone or an android phone. I believe that windows for smartphones is on the way out. So few manufacturers are using it.Currently 133,340 (I guess that counts as "no apps" to Apple Fan Boys, who have 30 versions of solitaire on their iPhone)

Windows Apps

My phone can beat up your phone.

What is the best app to make free VOIP call? Like GrooveIP for Android.

Windows phone 8 is pretty good mobile OS.

I believe this was the same argument that was made not to go with Android phones a couple of years back or Android tablets.

http://m.cowboom.com/index.cfm?page=details&contentID=1371353

CowBoom currently has the 8X from verizon, used, for $250 + tax + FS. I ordered one yesterday. It seems to also work with GSM using micro-sim card. Coupon green13 takes off another $10 but expires 4/22, and they have 1.5% FatWallet CashBack. If I don't like it, they have a 15 day free return policy, I used it before to return a laptop that turned out to be really too old looking when I received it. HTH.

WootHead said:   outtawhack said:   
Is any mobile phone truly necessary?

This is not a trap. Smartphones are relatively new and have been maturing quickly. There is a huge difference in the capabilities an features of a phone from year to year. It is starting to slow down in terms of hardware horsepower but the newest software will always work better on the newest hardware.

If you are happy with a dumbphone that's great but you are missing out on a lot of useful applications, like being able to deposit checks by taking a picture from your phone to GPS navigation better than any car or portable unit to reading your voicemails in a transcribed email b

Since smartphones are maturing and so widely adopted its grea t see devices like this at the 299-399 price point which IMO is where they should be so people can start buying their phones with contracts and subsidies so the big carriers can lower their prices for service like tmobile recently did.


Yeah. . . I suppose the features you list are useful to some. I just bought a Pantech Element (for LOTS less than $300 - $400) and it will do most of what you mentioned including GPS and do 3G and 4G from AT&T. But my good ol Nokia works where most phones will not. Dumb Phone? Maybe. . but it is a PHONE. Not a technotoy.

I realize that tech keeps advancing. But I also think that it increase the risk of hacking your bank accounts ( photo check processing, , Yikes! ) and also is a bit of a consumer trap amongst the younger crowd who seem to be more peer presured to have the latest and questionable greatest. I've seen many in the under 30, or even over 30, crowd that HAVE to get new phones twice a year! That is a bit nutz.

I'm not missing out on much of anything in my opinion. And I don't care for the added risks of handling so much personal data over a device that can be hacked or so easily lost and stolen.


No offense but your logic doesn't make sense. I remember my mothers checkbook being stolen when I was young, something which can't happen as easily on my smartphone. Or a ring of criminals who intercepted mail to extract checks and erase the ink so they could rewrite checks made out to cash.

Different era same problems.

I bought a an iPhone 5 with a subsidy from AT&T, used it for a few weeks, decided I didn't like it. I sold it on eBay for enought to buy a new nexus 4. Played with that and found android hadn't change enough since my last android device, sold it and still had enough for a lumia 920 new off contract.

Part of the reason people can afford to buy devices so often is the resale. And if carriers stopped subsidiing devices prices would come down even further and people would either upgrade more often or buy multiple devices.

Anyone on the fence about this phone should give it a try. Personally I think it needs another version before its ready for prime time but at least with Microsoft controlling the hardware specs you don't have to worry much about whether this will be upgradable in the future.

My father in law doesn't talk on the phone and uses his iphone solely for checking stock prices. He wouldn't buy a replacement if it was destroyed tomorrow but that doesn't mean tere aren't good uses for smartphones.

Look at how fast the bombing suspects were found in Boston. Do you think that would be possible withou lots of people recording high definition video and taking high definition pictures with GPS geo tagging on thir smartphones?

outtawhack said:   

No offense but your logic doesn't make sense. I remember my mothers checkbook being stolen when I was young, something which can't happen as easily on my smartphone. Or a ring of criminals who intercepted mail to extract checks and erase the ink so they could rewrite checks made out to cash.

Different era same problems.

I bought a an iPhone 5 with a subsidy from AT&T, used it for a few weeks, decided I didn't like it. I sold it on eBay for enought to buy a new nexus 4. Played with that and found android hadn't change enough since my last android device, sold it and still had enough for a lumia 920 new off contract.

Part of the reason people can afford to buy devices so often is the resale. And if carriers stopped subsidiing devices prices would come down even further and people would either upgrade more often or buy multiple devices.

Anyone on the fence about this phone should give it a try. Personally I think it needs another version before its ready for prime time but at least with Microsoft controlling the hardware specs you don't have to worry much about whether this will be upgradable in the future.

My father in law doesn't talk on the phone and uses his iphone solely for checking stock prices. He wouldn't buy a replacement if it was destroyed tomorrow but that doesn't mean tere aren't good uses for smartphones.

Look at how fast the bombing suspects were found in Boston. Do you think that would be possible withou lots of people recording high definition video and taking high definition pictures with GPS geo tagging on thir smartphones?


Likewise no offense, but your perspective is a bit of a stretch in many places. First, a check book is not taken out and used 30 or 40 times a day like many folks use a phone. In fact, many people do not or did not carry their check book everywhere they go. . . let alone in and out of their pocket every 10 or 20 minutes as some text addicts do. Therefore, a much higher risk of loss or theft dropping out of a pocket or being left on a Starbucks table. And the Chinese and other techo hackers have much more far reaching effects than a few criminals who might have gone through the trouble of check tampering. Phone unlock "services" and cloning? Technology has taken thievery to new heights compared to the two items you mention, not to mention ID theft which was unheard of not that long ago.

Different era, much more serious and far reaching problems.

As far as carrier subsidies and buying and selling phones . . . a big risk and doubtful that prices would remain stable long enough to not take a loss since prices drop dramatically in a very short time. But even if that can be done, occasionally, it just illustrates the lunacy and waste of producing one obsolete product after another. The "hop scotch" practice of buying one phone after another is part of the problem.

I never said anyone "on the fence" about this phone should avoid it. In fact, I said "This seems like a pretty decent deal on a recently released Windows Phone".

Each has their own use for the technology of phones today. Carrying around a smart phone with personal account numbers that have been entered for stock quotes and investment accounts just is more added risk in my opinion. I would not do it, but each to their own.

And the bombing situation in Boston and other terrorist attacks, would not likely been possible to coordinate to the extent that they are today, without the use of the free and easy use of today's portable smart phone tech. So, both cause and effect there. The same goes for the New York twin tower disasters and other terrible incidents in recent years. They were unheard, for the most part, before the 1990s.

Plus, this is all off topic now. It's clear you have your opinion and justification, as does anyone else.

WootHead said:   Holy data plan Batman. . . I still am using my 10 year old plain old Nokia. It doesn't even have a camera!

I actually love my Nokia. I can actually make phone calls even way up in the hinterlands of Northern Wisconsin where my kids just stare at their phone blinking. . "No Service". Then it's great fun to watch them go through texting withdrawal. And then if they happened to leave the charger at home, not even any game playing! Just messin' with ya gang. This seems like a pretty good deal on a newly released Vindows phone.

Seriously, I'm wondering if this is all really necessary or we are just falling into a big consumer trap of never ending phone purchases?


I'm still using a Nokia 6730 from about 2007. I have unlimited data (non-smartphones) for $15/month through At&T. Unlimited text and 150 anytime minutes come out to $50/month.

The OP posted another great deal on a smartphone but I'm still not ready to upgrade. I always say smartphones make people do stupid things. My coworkers mock me and my phone but can barely manage their bills, including rent. I work at a hotel and guests constantly place their smartphone on my desk as they ask how to get to Sea World which is less than 2 miles away. I once told a nagging guest to ask Siri and she complained to my manager.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014