• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-safeguard-activator-rx-8-home-se...

A barebone security alarm that senses door opening for small house or apartment. $18 shipped from Groupon.

Got decent review on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Activator-RX-9-Infrasonic-Security-Silver/...

Groupon
See Groupon promo codes that earn 3.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
As others have indicated, there is no siren component. The only light/electronics it will trigger is the one directly plugged into it.

Summarized from description on Groupon:
In a Nutshell

Plug-in security scanner uses infrasonic-wave technology to detect subsonic sounds, trigger lights and electronics, and scare away intruders

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

what triggers it?

vickh said:   what triggers it?

Found this under Product Description on the Amazon page for it: "The device operates by detecting low-level sub-sonic air movement or vibrations (below the threshold of human hearing) created by the movement of air. If any door or window is being forced open, the RX-9 will detect these actions and automatically activate the alarm..."

Is thing reliable? Potential false alarms?

What if I have a silent fart? Will this get set off?

15% cb thru ShopDiscover

And just so everyone is clear, the RX-8 model has no audible alarm included. The RX-9 has the alarm included.

shampooguy said:   15% cb thru ShopDiscover

And just so everyone is clear, the RX-8 model has no audible alarm included. The RX-9 has the alarm included.

This item is not eligible for 15% ShopDiscover as it comes under Groupon Goods.

Just bought one, lets hope it works as advertised.

Wemic said:   vickh said:   what triggers it?

Found this under Product Description on the Amazon page for it: "The device operates by detecting low-level sub-sonic air movement or vibrations (below the threshold of human hearing) created by the movement of air. If any door or window is being forced open, the RX-9 will detect these actions and automatically activate the alarm..."

So sounds like my dog would hear then?
Is that below the threshold or above the threshold of human hearing - I forget?

good

But it 'sounds' like [pun intended] that a picture falling off a wall or even a piece of paper sliding off a table would cause the alarm to go off

I saw this yesterday and was wondering how does it turn on lights in rooms? I mean I understand it can be activate by motion or sounds in door/windows but how does the device turn own lights? It also says special wiring is not required so I am confused..

mnsweeps said:   I saw this yesterday and was wondering how does it turn on lights in rooms? I mean I understand it can be activate by motion or sounds in door/windows but how does the device turn own lights? It also says special wiring is not required so I am confused..

You plug in whatever device you want to turn on, into the device itself. It has a three prong port that you plug in the device of your choice into. So if you plug a radio into it, anytime it senses motion, it activates power to the radio and he radio will turn on, same with a light or whatever you choose.

I will pass as my house is close to 3000 sq ft ...

mnsweeps said:   I will pass as my house is close to 3000 sq ft ...
Whata shack

Al Gore

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014