• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Just bought one. Thanks.

In for 1.
I had my Garmin for over 3 years. Updating the map would cost even more than this TomTom unit. for 50 bucks, I get a nicer GPS with Lifetime Map update. Thanks OP.

Thanks OP,in for one! Not very often you get to a deal that is that good and that old and get to pick it up! Made my day!

Got mine today. Plugged in for 2 hours to charge, register etc. Now, doesn't power up unless plugged in!

I just got mine. It doesn't come with the traffic cable and Amazon has it for around $27, but even then I don't know if it will work without being charged on the side. I tried to conect it to my computer with the usb cable that it came with and TomTom software doesn't pick it up. I tried using another usb cable and no go. I guess this might be the reason it went back. So, it is going back to BB.

ElGuache said:   I just got mine. It doesn't come with the traffic cable and Amazon has it for around $27, but even then I don't know if it will work without being charged on the side. I tried to conect it to my computer with the usb cable that it came with and TomTom software doesn't pick it up. I tried using another usb cable and no go. I guess this might be the reason it went back. So, it is going back to BB.
Did you connect to a regular USB port and not a hub or a USB port on a monitor or keyboard?? This warning is in the owners manual if you ever get around to downloading it!
You'd think that sort of important info would be in the package or a quick install guide??
I have an old TT 720 (hacked it to a 730) that's still going strong so I can do without this brick. Back it goes to BB.

brusbrother said:   ElGuache said:   I just got mine. It doesn't come with the traffic cable and Amazon has it for around $27, but even then I don't know if it will work without being charged on the side. I tried to conect it to my computer with the usb cable that it came with and TomTom software doesn't pick it up. I tried using another usb cable and no go. I guess this might be the reason it went back. So, it is going back to BB.
Did you connect to a regular USB port and not a hub or a USB port on a monitor or keyboard?? This warning is in the owners manual if you ever get around to downloading it!
You'd think that sort of important info would be in the package or a quick install guide??
I have an old TT 720 (hacked it to a 730) that's still going strong so I can do without this brick. Back it goes to BB.

Thanks for the info, it worked. I have never had that happened before. The only thing now is "should I spend the $27 to get the traffic cable"?

ElGuache said:   brusbrother said:   ElGuache said:   I just got mine. It doesn't come with the traffic cable and Amazon has it for around $27, but even then I don't know if it will work without being charged on the side. I tried to conect it to my computer with the usb cable that it came with and TomTom software doesn't pick it up. I tried using another usb cable and no go. I guess this might be the reason it went back. So, it is going back to BB.

Thanks for the info, it worked. I have never had that happened before. The only thing now is "should I spend the $27 to get the traffic cable"?

It may be that the auxiliary or USB hub ports provide less power.
From what has been said on this thread, it seems like traffic is a waste of time and $. You will be spending half as much more than you paid for the entire unit! Is $27 for Lifetime Traffic or just a cable that will eventually require a subscription??

Well...
Bonus time, it has voice recognition for commands.

Appelski said:   Well...

Yup, pretty slick too. My old TT 720/730 Go required you speak state, city, number separately. This recognizes in one sentence.
Returned mine to BB. Battery doesn't work/hold charge. Rep. promised expedited shipping but shipping messed up so they are giving me a $30 BB Gift Card. Geesh, even better than FW cash! What to buy? What to buy?

Got mine today, and the only issue so far was that the lifetime map activation code showed up as expired. All it took was a quick and easy call to customer service to get it straightened out. Here's the number in case anyone else runs into the same issue: 866-486-6866.

brusbrother said:   Appelski said:   Well...

Yup, pretty slick too. My old TT 720/730 Go required you speak state, city, number separately. This recognizes in one sentence.
Returned mine to BB. Battery doesn't work/hold charge. Rep. promised expedited shipping but shipping messed up so they are giving me a $30 BB Gift Card. Geesh, even better than FW cash! What to buy? What to buy?

Drats. Now the replacement is back ordered!

MissCrabette said:   Got mine today, and the only issue so far was that the lifetime map activation code showed up as expired. All it took was a quick and easy call to customer service to get it straightened out. Here's the number in case anyone else runs into the same issue: 866-486-6866.

Mine seemed to exhibit some of the battery issue others are talking about, but once it got enough juice from the computer, it seems to stay on.

Oh, and hey, $10 off at tomtom.com for registering! What do I want now???

My map code worked too. Thanks again, OP!

When the unit is plugged in or even running on battery, is there any light to indicate that it is charging?

Mine seems working fine. But after I've entered the promotional code for the lifttime map updates, the web site kept saying "Internal Server Error". Has anyone seen this problem?

I think it's case sensitive.

jolapo said:   Mine seems working fine. But after I've entered the promotional code for the lifttime map updates, the web site kept saying "Internal Server Error". Has anyone seen this problem?

I have a TomTom One 3'rd edition (about 5 years old) and navigation is great in that. But the maps are old, so I decided to buy this. Got mine last week and went on a road trip right after I got it. There seems to be a serious issue with navigation on this. I got the latest map updates before the trip. some examples
- missing POIs. Programmed it to a Target store, but ended up in the middle of a neighborhood
- Instead of making a right turn at a 4-way, it instructed me to go straight do a turn, come back to the same 4-way and make a left turn
- It'll ask me to make a left/right turn and just as I'm approaching the junction, it'll recalculate and give me new instructions.

Looks like something is seriously wrong with the routing algorithm

I just got mine today. But it does not have lifetime maps. I was sent just a 1435, with UPC 0636926056472

Bestbuy of course says there's nothing they can do and the original link is gone.

Did you call tomtom? Their customer support are very helpful.

timmie88 said:   I just got mine today. But it does not have lifetime maps. I was sent just a 1435, with UPC 0636926056472

Bestbuy of course says there's nothing they can do and the original link is gone.

jolapo said:   Did you call tomtom? Their customer support are very helpful.

timmie88 said:   I just got mine today. But it does not have lifetime maps. I was sent just a 1435, with UPC 0636926056472

My Lifetime Maps came in the form of a piece of paper with serial code number that read "Do Not Discard". Geesh, how stupid do they think I am? Yup, I ignored it at first.
Anyways, I've been dealing with BestBuy.com to get a replacement for mine which arrived with a dead/nonchargeable battery. In the course of conversations (too many), with timmie88 in mind, I asked if they could view the original ad and they said they could. Asked if they would send me a copy they said they would ask back office. Never got it. They have the original ad. Why be such a yutz and not honor the agreement?

MissCrabette said:   Got mine today, and the only issue so far was that the lifetime map activation code showed up as expired. All it took was a quick and easy call to customer service to get it straightened out. Here's the number in case anyone else runs into the same issue: 866-486-6866.

I couldn't find any lifetime maps paper in my packaging. I called the number you listed, and they set me up without any fuss. Great service!

Wow I'm impressed. I called TomTom and they activated my lifetime.

Bestbuy only gave me the option to return the item (no exchanges since they are out of them).

I got mine with lifetime maps code - updated it online and downloaded the latest greatest maps
IMHO it sux!! my 7 year old Garmin (7 year old maps) is able to find the address that this one doesnt ..
I wish there was a way to GREEN the deal but RED the product
In this case GREEN for the OP it is a good deal RED for the product

Now to return it to BB hopefully can return to store without any issues.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014