• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

sherwood (66.70kB)
Disclaimer
•490W total power
70W RMS x 7 @ 0.7%, 1kHz for powerful audio.
•Dolby Digital and Dolby Pro Logic sound decoders
Provide an immersive soundscape.
•On-screen display
Along with a standard remote simplifies operation.
•Built-in AM/FM digital tuner
With 30 station presets lets you program your favorites for simple one-touch recall.
•HD Radio-ready

LINK

Best Buy
See Best Buy coupons that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Staff Summary

That's an awesome price (especially considering it has HD Radio) and I was ready to pull the plug until I checked the reviews. They weren't bad - 4 star average - but this kills it for me:
http://www.amazon.com/SHERWOOD-RD-7405HDR-7-1-Channel-Dual-Zone-...
"This receiver has 2 HDMI inputs which led me to believe that I could connect it with an HDMI cable and have wonderful sound. I later learned that the HDMI inputs are only a switch for video and do not tune the audio. You must use the optical or coax inputs to tune the audio and miss out on the real sound. For instance, my blu ray disk offered me a choice of 7.1 surround or 2.1 surround and since I only had optical inputs I could only use 2.1 surround.I could however use the optical input and get 5.1 surround but only with the non-blu-ray disk. The choice was good sound or good picture but not both. I felt like a fool for thinking the HDMI inputs would actually let me connect with an HDMI cable."

Another review mentioned the same thing.

I already have a good 2 speaker system. This stupid video-only HDMI thing means I won't be upgrading to this.

The video only HDMI kills it for me too. I would have been all over this if it weren't for that.

Decent receiver for a nice price. Thanks OP. Beware though that the HDMI inputs are only switched to the HDMI output, it does not support HDMI audio decode. So if you connect an HDMI source, the audio won't be played through the receiver. I was hoping to get this one as my current Pioneer does not do HDMI but this is a killer. If you don't care about this, it's a good buy.

Evander said:   That's an awesome price (especially considering it has HD Radio) and I was ready to pull the plug until I checked the reviews. They weren't bad - 4 star average - but this kills it for me:
http://www.amazon.com/SHERWOOD-RD-7405HDR-7-1-Channel-Dual-Zone-...
"This receiver has 2 HDMI inputs which led me to believe that I could connect it with an HDMI cable and have wonderful sound. I later learned that the HDMI inputs are only a switch for video and do not tune the audio. You must use the optical or coax inputs to tune the audio and miss out on the real sound. For instance, my blu ray disk offered me a choice of 7.1 surround or 2.1 surround and since I only had optical inputs I could only use 2.1 surround.I could however use the optical input and get 5.1 surround but only with the non-blu-ray disk. The choice was good sound or good picture but not both. I felt like a fool for thinking the HDMI inputs would actually let me connect with an HDMI cable."

Another review mentioned the same thing.

I already have a good 2 speaker system. This stupid video-only HDMI thing means I won't be upgrading to this.

Read more carefully. There is no HD radio. It has a connection for it, not the receiver.

This is a waste of money compared to what can be had for just a bit more. Bad deal.

Almost pulled the trigger until I read your guy's posts, thank you so much for saving me money!

Great deal if you don't need the modern inputs!

Even with my new Pioneer which does everything over HDMI, I use my tv's optical out to it and surround sound works fine. That's always an option FYI, but yes more hook up options would be nice on this one!

Some TVs only output 2.1 sound over optical.

A receiver should last a long time. Best to get something modern, that has a better chance of being compatible with any devices you may buy in the foreseeable future.

If you really only want something as limited as this one, have a look at CL. You'll find many great older receivers that lack HDMI for low prices. Much better quality and sound, and if you toss in an HDMI switch it is basically the same thing.

I will look at CL if you will tell me what it is.

I'm guessing craigslist

I have this receiver, it does have HD radio.

Another feature I don't see listed on bestbuy is it also has dual zone capability, assuming RD-7405HDREFURB is just the refurb model number of the same RD-7405HDR, the HDR in the model number stands for HD radio. You drop down to 5.1 if you are using 2 for the second zone however.

http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=252-218 Parts Express shows the backside for inputs.

If you dont need the HDMI as posted previously, I would recommend it at this price. The HDMI and the user interface for the second zone audio inputs are my only major complaints.

This model is the RD7405HD and does not have the HD radio.

This model is not RD7405HD. It is RD7405HDRefurb.

Sherwood does not make a RD7405HD according to their website, which leaves us to guess whether this is a refurb of RD7405 (no HD radio) or RD7405HDR (HD radio)
I am going with RD7405HDR, they likely reused the R from HDR to start out "refurb". Why would they add HD infront of Refurb for no reason?
Zooming in on the Bestbuy model picture shows RD7405HDR, of course the picture could be wrong.

The description is pretty clear--"HD ready." That's industry-speak for, "hey, it's got a plug for this, now let's sell them it as an accessory."

All I know is that my Sherwood had to be repaired soon after I got it.Often the settings are not saved and have to be reselected again.this is for input select between digital audio, analog etc soit has to be reset allmost everytime.I would not recommend this brand. The name Sherwood was sold yearsago to the Chinese. It is not an American company. The chinesebuy names like Philips as a Chinese name on that receiver wouldnever sell as they have a reputation for poor quality controlText

I have news for you. None of these electronics are built in America.

I dont think that is news any more, the alarms went off years ago and it has silence.

MitchFlorida said:   I have news for you. None of these electronics are built in America.

Just got mine, it's RD7405HDR

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014