• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
MAGLITE S5D036 Heavy-Duty 5-D Cell Flashlight, Red for $15.48

http://www.amazon.com/MAGLITE-S5D036-Heavy-Duty-Cell-Flashlight/...

High quality rugged aluminum case
Spare bulb conveniently placed in tailcap of light
Light adjusts from flood to spot with just a twist of the head
All joints sealed with O-rings to prevent moisture
Limited Lifetime warranty
Choose Amazon.com from the list of sellers on the right. Eligible for Free Super Saver Shipping.

Member Summary

MAGLITE S5D036 Heavy-Duty 5-D Cell Flashlight
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
No DVI either!

UkeDoggie (May. 05, 2013 @ 10:35a) |

There's a hack available to add an HDMI port for direct output to your television.
Works best with LED sets; not recommen... (more)

SelfGovern (May. 07, 2013 @ 3:09p) |

Back in stock at $15.48+FS again!

nomonies (Jun. 27, 2013 @ 1:58p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Just when I needed a flashlight

+1 thanks OP

These are great "Assault Flashlights" get them before they are banned.

I believe I have the black version of this, and it was awesome when we had a power outage a few weeks back.

I used to have the 6D model and it was awesome. This is without any doubt worth $16.

Not LED

Yep, not LED. The largest LED you can get is 3D

meh, I have pocket lights that are brighter than this thing...pass.

ezwrighter said:   meh, I have pocket lights that are brighter than this thing...pass.
Yeah, I carried a 3 D cell maglite in my pickup for years, got a bitty five dollar china led flashlight and it's brighter by a considerable amount, gave that big monster away.

Buy the LED upgrade and you'll have the best weapon/tool in your car.

Agreed. The only reason to get this is if you indeed need a weapon+flashlight. Or perhaps as a collector's item.

But can those little lights break out windshields to rescue wreck victoms??? My heavy four cell Kel=light bought in
1967 has little of original anodized finish left but it served me very well and still does. When our state police
went to rechargeable Maglites we would laugh when the things felll apart or an officer tried to subdue a perp and
the thing was too light. There is a Kel-lite club or two and some are actually rebuilding and refnishing them.
I had a five cell and it was too cumbersome on a gunbelt loop so carried the four cell. Guess the advertised
light is about as good as we can do today.

Get a LED Maglite
MagLite ST3D016 3-D Cell LED Flashlight, Black

Shows $26.63 for me, plus $5.95 shipping and fondling

chinaonnitrous1 said:   Buy the LED upgrade and you'll have the best weapon/tool in your car.

From what I see on Amazon, the LED upgrades fit old 4-6 D cell Maglites, not a new one like this one.

I wonder if the entire head of a 3D LED Maglite would attach to the body of one of these standard 5Ds?

conncarl said:   Shows $26.63 for me, plus $5.95 shipping and fondling

Must select $15.48 seller.

I'll have to check if the one under my driver's seat is LED or not. Don't really remember. Anyway, these Maglites, LED or not, are awesome flashlights.

Get the LED Maglite from Costco. Spend a little more. Better performance.

lithdoc said:   Yep, not LED. The largest LED you can get is 3D

Compatible LED are cheap and will convert this to a much more longer batt life.

ezwrighter said:   meh, I have pocket lights that are brighter than this thing...pass.

Yep, I'm with you on this one. If anyone want a weapon disguise as a flashlight then this is a good deal. But if you want light performance then get CREE LED flashlight using 18650 batt.

internetle said:   Get the LED Maglite from Costco. Spend a little more. Better performance.

Or buy the Feit/Cree 3C twin pack.

Twice as bright as the maglite, better for smaller hands, and you get a spare!

dkd711 said:   These are great "Assault Flashlights" get them before they are banned.

I have a neighbor who is an pilot for a major airline. He brings a 3-D Maglite with him in the cockpit for this exact reason.

Thanks for the tip on upgrading to LED. I have to get out my old maglite that is not being unused and see if I can improve it!

Here's an upgrade I did when they were on sale last year:

Malkoff LED drop in

Great deal! Thanks OP, got one for my son to keep in his car.

fatwhitton said:   Thanks for the tip on upgrading to LED. I have to get out my old maglite that is not being unused and see if I can improve it!
I just lost at least 1% of my brain cells trying to figure out what it means to have a flashlight that is not being unused. Ouch!

dkd711 said:   These are great "Assault Flashlights" get them before they are banned.
Most (maybe all) pistols are more compact. Even a shotgun is: http://www.serbu.com/legacy/shorty.htm

JiggleTheHandle said:   chinaonnitrous1 said:   Buy the LED upgrade and you'll have the best weapon/tool in your car.

From what I see on Amazon, the LED upgrades fit old 4-6 D cell Maglites, not a new one like this one.

I wonder if the entire head of a 3D LED Maglite would attach to the body of one of these standard 5Ds?

FYI the 6-cell version is available in a box instead of the blister pack for $23.36. The basic 140 lumen focusable TerraLUX TLE-6EX LED bulb for 4-6 cell Maglites is $16 or the non-focusable 1000 lumen 3 LED TerraLUX TLE-310M-EX upgrade for 4-6 -cell Maglites is $63. $86 total price for a 1000 lumen 6-cell Maglite car-club is a bargain! But even $41 total for a 140 lumen 6-cell car-club is a deal. I recommend spending the extra $8 for the 6-cell and getting one of the two TerraLUX upgrades. Good reviews on Amazon and Candle Power Forums.

If you don't need it for self defense I'd just go with a smaller, lighter, handier, brighter 190 lumen Fenix LD22 for $47. FWIW I ordered the 6-cell Maglite plus the TerraLUX TLE-310M-EX for my car (plus the glass-breaker cap off eBay), but I also keep a Fenix in my car and every room of my home plus my bug out bag.

sholling said:   I'd just go with a smaller, lighter, handier, brighter 190 lumen Fenix LD22 for $47.

I bought 2 Fenix LD-22's via Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon) when the price dipped down to $39, but both were DOA.

From a local sporting store a Fenix I bought earlier this year was factory sealed in plastic and had to be cut open. The package had a USA address. The Fenix flashlight inside functions perfectly.

However, the 2 from Amazon arrived in a non-sealed cardboard box and only had a Chinese address. Both of them had no sign of life. Both of them had grit in the tailcap threads.

I wish Amazon always showed an image of the packaging rather than the bare product.

JiggleTheHandle said:   I bought 2 Fenix LD-22's via Amazon (fulfilled by Amazon) when the price dipped down to $39, but both were DOA.

From a local sporting store a Fenix I bought earlier this year was factory sealed in plastic and had to be cut open. The package had a USA address. The Fenix flashlight inside functions perfectly.

However, the 2 from Amazon arrived in a non-sealed cardboard box and only had a Chinese address. Both of them had no sign of life. Both of them had grit in the tailcap threads.

I wish Amazon always showed an image of the packaging rather than the bare product.

That's sucks getting DOAs. Whenever possible I make sure that Amazon is the actual seller so that I know I'm not getting a knock-off from a 3rd party and so far I've had great luck with no DOAs and no problems ever with my 2 TK35s, TK10 and TK11, 5 LD20s, PD20 & PD32 (my two EDCs depending on where I'm going) and HP11 headlamp. I did have an E05 weld itself closed when the AAA battery developed a leak but I never liked that one anyway and tossed it out. It gets freaking dark where I live so I have power failure lights and flashlights in every room of the house.

fatwhitton said:   Thanks for the tip on upgrading to LED. I have to get out my old maglite that is not being unused and see if I can improve it!

The TerraLUX 2-3 C/D cell compatible (they have a 4-6 cell unit to) puts out 140 lumen for $17 with no hacking on your light. Not the brightest solution in the world but still about 2-2.5 times the output of the stock bulb. I have them in 2 of my old Maglites and a S&W knock-off and they make a nice improvement.

f2000sa said:   Not LED
No DVI either!

UkeDoggie said:   f2000sa said:   Not LED
No DVI either!

There's a hack available to add an HDMI port for direct output to your television.
Works best with LED sets; not recommended for Plasma technology screens.

Back in stock at $15.48+FS again!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014