• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
BN slashed prices for their 7" Nook HD, down to $149, and the 9" HD+ is $179. They also suddenly became relevant and competitive again by adding Google Play to their tablets, instead of forcing customers to buy their limited and overpriced apps, and added Google Chrome as their browser. Prices available online and in-store. Also available for that price at Target and Best Buy. Both models come with SD slot for extra storage, but neither has cameras.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/nook/379003208

Member Summary

Nook HD
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts

miserly (May. 21, 2013 @ 2:46p) |

Can you provide a link to the instructions you used? I want to do this but find the links very daunting...

Thanks!

osiris3mc (May. 22, 2013 @ 9:41p) |

try my last one. got CM10.1 hybrid and it has been more stable than the first CM10 intall.

miserly (May. 23, 2013 @ 6:13p) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

More folks should buy this tablet. The Nook HD+ screen is gorgeous and video and games run great. I don't want to be the only one who owns one. Did I mention how good the screen is?

I have really enjoyed mine and I love the dual boot option

bestbuy amd target have them on sale too.

Chuck73 said:   More folks should buy this tablet. The Nook HD+ screen is gorgeous and video and games run great. I don't want to be the only one who owns one. Did I mention how good the screen is?

How does it compare to the iPad screen?

namlook said:   Chuck73 said:   More folks should buy this tablet. The Nook HD+ screen is gorgeous and video and games run great. I don't want to be the only one who owns one. Did I mention how good the screen is?

How does it compare to the iPad screen?

It's half the price and the screen is 90%+++ as good as Crapple IMHO.

The screen on the nook hd+ is pretty legit.

256 pixels per inch on the nook vs 264 ppi on the ipad.

if you compare them to the closest sized ipad, the ipad mini, it comes to 256 vs 163 ppi on the ipad mini, which is the main reason I decided to go for the Nook, since I do a lot of ebook reading.

Good point on the ipad mini, but the nook hd+ at 9 inches is closer to the ipad in size than the ipad mini (9.7'' ipad vs 9'' NH+.... Vs .... 7.9'' ipad mini vs 9'' NH+)

The ipad mini is closer to the nook hd's 7 inch size.

in for 1 on HD+. would love to get a stable CM port.

Saw this on SD and ordered w/$90 off card the wife got in the mail as a B&N member. Got the HD+ for $90 + tax. I ordered online and used the code on the back of the card. One time use and up to 3 or 5 items (I can't recall the limit). Yee haw!

Will the Nook HD I buy from BestBuy have Google Play?

Will the Nook HD I buy from Target or BestBuy have Google Play? Or do I have to order from BN to get the upgraded software?

They are all the same.

Does anyone know if it means you can run Kindle on it?

kickerstarter said:   They are all the same.

Does anyone know if it means you can run Kindle on it?

That's an interesting question. There IS a Kindle app after all. I just can't see B&N allowing that to happen. Either way, I may have to look at this. Thanks for the heads up!

Yes, I have the Kindle app and it works fine. It also comes with Google Books installed, so BN obviously decided that opening up their software was necessary to compete with other tablets, even if it cost them app and some book sales. I think their hope is the tablet will get people into the BN ecosystem and buy their books and magazines, just as the Kindle Fire is sold at a loss to get people to buy Amazon stuff.

The Google software update is done after you set up the new Nook, in the background...you can see it updating the device software in the settings. Then it gets Chrome as the default browser, Gmail, Google Maps, Youtube, and other Google apps. At the same time, if you've bought Nook apps they still are there, which is nice.

My god this deal is hot. I bought mine for $239 on black Friday, and rooted it for google play. But to come like this out of the box for another $60 off is awesome. The screen is very nice. I compared it side by side with an iPad retina and I couldn't tell the difference.

Just picked one up last night. It's awesome. Does anyone know if you get a discount as a B&N member? Mine expired and I didn't want to renew last night because I was not sure if it applied to the purchase of a Nook. Thanks!

Hey guys, if you have discover CashBack, you can redeem $135 for $150 in e-gift cards to B&N instantly. Saves you $15 on either of these. Makes them $134 & $164.

$199 for 32GB HD+ and free shipping at bestbuy.com:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=12187374...

EDIT: well that went fast just like yesterday (OOS online), but still available for store pickup. BB's price is $10 cheaper than direct from B&N.

I assume that this cannot be used with Amazon Prime. Would be nice...

in researcing CM10, i have found these guys https://www.n2acards.com/nook-hd-plus-mail-or-download and http://www.rootmynookhd.com/shop/index.php.
basically getting you CM10 on a SD card, with minimal fuss. any reviews? are they worth it or should i get from CM myself? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2062613

miserly said:   in researcing CM10, i have found these guys https://www.n2acards.com/nook-hd-plus-mail-or-download and http://www.rootmynookhd.com/shop/index.php.
basically getting you CM10 on a SD card, with minimal fuss. any reviews? are they worth it or should i get from CM myself? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2062613

I think I'm going to DIY. But if you want to buy from N2A you can check this video.
search for "N2A HD+" on youtube and the video is the first one.

There is also a discount code "theebookreader" that gives 10% OFF for. (says 15% on youtube but looks like the current discount is 10%, just tested)

There are also a number of other N2A videos on youtube.

Note also B&N has released Google Play support so in most cases you may not even need to hack the stock rom.

Klauven said:   Hey guys, if you have discover CashBack, you can redeem $135 for $150 in e-gift cards to B&N instantly. Saves you $15 on either of these. Makes them $134 & $164.
Thanks. But I'd like to reserve Discover CashBack for gift cards with at least 20% bonus... I'll use AMEX membership rewards as I have a hard time finding any use of those points...
AMEX also offers BN e-certificates now that promises to be delivered within 3 hours.

ups just delivered!

Killer prices, has me contemplating selling the Nexus 10 for an HD Plus with hopefully some bucks to spare...

I'm having trouble getting good info on whether certain apps like Kindle are blocked and whether they can be installed via rooting, etc. Assuming that some apps won't run due to hardware issues, are there any imposed restrictions by B&N and can they be gotten around?

Bummer that natively installed custom ROMs aren't further along, I wouldn't even be hesitating if they were. Can anyone with knowledge share how solid the SD card CM10 is running on the HD Plus? Does everything work and does it run smooth? I still have my old 7" Nook Color that was a really nice budget tablet with CM7 and later CM10, but a few things like the screen touch responsiveness were never quite up to snuff with the 'real' tablets. My kids use it now for angry birds and bad piggies, has held up rather well.

EDIT - missed the earlier post on Kindle working, nice. Does it show up in Play or was rooting/sideloading necessary?

SlyDawg said:   Killer prices, has me contemplating selling the Nexus 10 for an HD Plus with hopefully some bucks to spare...

I'm having trouble getting good info on whether certain apps like Kindle are blocked and whether they can be installed via rooting, etc. Assuming that some apps won't run due to hardware issues, are there any imposed restrictions by B&N and can they be gotten around?

Bummer that natively installed custom ROMs aren't further along, I wouldn't even be hesitating if they were. Can anyone with knowledge share how solid the SD card CM10 is running on the HD Plus? Does everything work and does it run smooth? I still have my old 7" Nook Color that was a really nice budget tablet with CM7 and later CM10, but a few things like the screen touch responsiveness were never quite up to snuff with the 'real' tablets. My kids use it now for angry birds and bad piggies, has held up rather well.

EDIT - missed the earlier post on Kindle working, nice. Does it show up in Play or was rooting/sideloading necessary?

You can see from the following video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTllevc0asA

I believe you lose about 10% performance based on Quadrant benchmark. (stock 31xx, CM10 on SD 27xx)

Nexus 10 is more future proof IMO. I now feel like I wasted too much $$ on tf700t.
Yes. tf700t is more versatile but I feel it is still not a full replacement of a laptop. All of my tablet turned out to be mainly media consumption frontends.
(reading, movies, web browsing, gaming, and light e-mail.) If they had the 9" nook at $179 I would have gotten it last year.

Thank you, that was a pretty solid review for the N2A equipped HD+.

My thoughts on the N10 echo yours on the tf700t, for what I mainly use it for it really was not worth $500. Google is not supporting it like they should so I really wonder how future proof it really is - pogo charger took forever to show up and the one you can buy isn't even an official Samsung or Google product. Chrome crashes constantly, tablet crashes and reboots periodically as well. This is Google software on Google's official tablet, and these problems are still not fixed after 6 months, that's pretty lame. Also a bit disconcerting is how hot one area on the screen gets when viewing web pages with a lot of animated content or playing certain games, literally hot enough that it is uncomfortable to the touch - that cannot be good for the screen, or CPU/GPU where it is likely coming from.

Anyway, not to derail the thread with my Nexus 10 griping (sorry).

I bring that stuff up because it kind of emphasizes how good this deal is, though. The minor issues that the N2A Nook HD+ had in that youtube video do not seem to be that bad especially considering that it has a great screen and probably does 95% of what my Nexus 10 does at less than half the price. The good news, and what might encourage people who are on the fence about getting this, is that this price change and resulting large number of sales this week will probably create a larger user base and thus more incentive for the developers to get CM10 polished and working perfectly on these newer Nook tablets. I would be surprised if the few existing issues with the ROM don't get sorted out within a couple of months.

While I know this might be considered an question with an obvious answer, I seriously would like to know. Can this be used with Amazon Prime video? I realize that it is doubtful but if it were somehow true, it would suddenly become significantly more interesting to me. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Alfb said:   While I know this might be considered an question with an obvious answer, I seriously would like to know. Can this be used with Amazon Prime video? I realize that it is doubtful but if it were somehow true, it would suddenly become significantly more interesting to me. Thanks for any help you can provide.
I got Amazon Prime video working on my HTC Amaze phone running ICS 4.0 (using Dolphin browser with Adobe Flash Player).
It's quite a bit more hacking for the Nook if you don't want to void your warranty(rooting).
Instructions are here for those interested in sideloading Dolphin and flashplayer.

https://nookdeveloper.zendesk.com/entries/21943338-nook-develope...

In summary, it can be done but not as easy as using it with Kindle Fire HD. If you want Amazon Prime video it is best to use Kindle Fire HD.
The KFHD also has an HDMI output so you can watch the video on a bigger HDTV. (cable sold separately for $8.5)

Thanks for the information. I was afraid if available it would be iffy whether I wanted to go to the trouble. I have considered the Kindle Fire but the price on the Nook currently is better and I am on the fence as to whether I want a tablet already. If only Fire included an SD and was open to Google Play and the same price as the Nook is. If only wishing made is so....

For anyone who wants to buy the Nook HD or Nook HD+(16GB), don't miss your FatWallet CashBack for BN Nook.
http://www.fatwallet.com/Barnes-and-Noble-coupons/
Looks like Cash Back sale just started yesterday.

If you want the 32GB HD+, Best Buy has it for $10 less at your local stores.

rj51 said:   
The Google software update is done after you set up the new Nook, in the background...you can see it updating the device software in the settings. Then it gets Chrome as the default browser, Gmail, Google Maps, Youtube, and other Google apps. At the same time, if you've bought Nook apps they still are there, which is nice.

Google Maps without GPS? That's interesting...

GTFan said:   $199 for 32GB HD+ and free shipping at bestbuy.com:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?type=product&id=12187374...

EDIT: well that went fast just like yesterday (OOS online), but still available for store pickup. BB's price is $10 cheaper than direct from B&N.

If you figure in the 6% CashBack, it is just about the same $196.46 vs $196 at Best Buy ($3.00 Cash Back)

can someone speculate what's the hole in the HD+ for?

Skipping 24 Messages...
osiris3mc said:   miserly said:   ok. followed instructions between the threads and was able to get CM10 running on my nook. WOW. it's such an upgrade and SO fast. loving it.

Can you provide a link to the instructions you used? I want to do this but find the links very daunting...

Thanks!

try my last one. got CM10.1 hybrid and it has been more stable than the first CM10 intall.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014