• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details...

Not sure if this has already been posted, but I found this on TigerDirect today. I've never used Total Defense myself, so I can't vouch for it's usefulness. Still, $49.99 (plus shipping and tax) for Windows 8 alone should be worth the effort trying to get back that $70 rebate.

Tiger Direct
Need a Tiger Direct coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Windows 8 (44.41kB)
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
It would obviously be free as it's an update. Rumors say that MS is Keen on making Windows blue common for Windows Pro, ... (more)

rockymast (May. 25, 2013 @ 1:44p) |

You do have to activate and you can use a prepaid card that only has a bit over $1 left on it. Still remember to cancel... (more)

frackish (May. 25, 2013 @ 3:52p) |

Agreed, I came to my conclusion after a conversation with the sales representative at TigerDirect. It seems best to err ... (more)

nkonfya (May. 30, 2013 @ 5:14p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Seems like this post should be getting more attention. Also it seems this is the full version OEM of Windows 8, not the upgrade (best price you could find for a boxed upgrade last year was $40 and this is only $10 for full version plus includes security software). I don't need it but very good price

Yup! It's a full Windows 8 OEM license. Not an upgrade. I don't think you'll be able to find Win8 for less than $80 anywhere else right now.

Any ideas if Windows Blue will be a free upgrade or not?

I have no idea. Originally, I was under the impression that Windows Blue was supposed to be a patch for Windows 8, as opposed to a totally new version of Windows.

NOTICE: A subscription must be activated at time of rebate redemption

Yeah. I think that's common for Total Defense rebates, unfortunately. I believe it'll ask for your CC during activation without charging you anything for the first year. Just make sure you don't auto-renew, especially if you're not planning to keep Total Defense anyway.

I tried it and it actually broke my windows 8 system until I figured how to uninstall it.

LOL I don't see myself needing another copy of Windows 8 anytime soon, and I already have KIS and Trend Micro installed on all my devices. However, if I HAD to install Total Defense just to claim this particular rebate myself, I would probably install it in a VM (even if I didn't already have other AVs installed on my PC), so I can get rid of it easily.

If you can't install Windows in a VM or don't have a spare computer lying around, install Total Defense in the new system you're building (with your new copy of Windows 8), activate the subscription, claim the rebate, and re-install Windows 8 again. It's the same hardware so you should be able to re-install Windows 8 as much as you want.

What is meant by OEM? Will this install on any system without having a previous version of Windows?

Original Equipment Manufacturer, and yes, it'll install in any system, provided your hardware can handle Windows 8.

FatWallEEE said:   Original Equipment Manufacturer, and yes, it'll install in any system, provided your hardware can handle Windows 8.

Thanks!

Just confirmed that you DO NOT have to enter your Credit card info in the software for the rebate to work. Matter of fact, you dont even have to take the CD out of the case, everything you need to complete the rebate is on the back of the user manual, and your invoice details.

$70 rebate. Do not give them any excuse to avoid paying.

AV subscription confirmation email is part of my Total Defense rebate submission.
Used a rebate payment credit card to activate the antivirus subscription.
Subscription won't be cancelled until after the rebate $ is in my hands.
Even have a secondary machine running the AV software.

Edit. Please be careful with this rebate:
OFFER CODE: TDI-10218 "TERMS & CONDITIONS"
"The product must be activated prior to rebate redemption. Activation requires a valid credit card in order to establish your software subscription. Subscription fees will be automatically charged to your account upon expiration of the initial term. You may cancel your subscription at any time. Total Defense will verify that the product has been activated prior to issuing the rebate".

If it was the Pro version for this price I'd be buying. But this one means no WMP, right?

Plus it looks like it is now $69.99 AR now too unless I am missing something.

Please confirm these are the same instructions that you are looking at to fill out the form:

1. Print this form
Please print and mail this form to us.

2. Enclose all documents
Attach all the required proof of purchase
documentation to this rebate form and place everything in a mailing envelope.

3. Mail it
Attach the label displayed below to your envelope. Envelopes without a proper label may not be delivered and processed.

4. This Submission Requires (please be sure to include all necessary documentation):
Signed Rebate Form
Original UPC Barcode Label
Copy of Receipt/Invoice
Activation Code or Copy of Welcome Email (Activation code can be found on the back of your user guide)
Proof of purchase of qualifying bundle purchase

5. Confirmation
A confirmation email that includes your tracking number for this rebate has been sent to the email address you provided. You will receive additional updates as your rebate status changes. Please allow 1 to 2 weeks after mailing your rebate application to receive an update to your status.

Edit: Maybe we got the same bundle at different times. I got it when they were offering both for $70 AR. Maybe the rules change when you got it at $49.99 AR?

^The (PDF) rebate on TigerDirect still looks the same as the one I previously attached to this post, and if you look at the fine print, it does say "Total Defense will verify that the product has been activated prior to issuing the rebate." Part of the instructions you have also says "Activation Code or Copy of Welcome Email" which kind of implies they expect you to at least activate your subscription and get a welcome email.

Edit:
Forgot to mention, the price of the Windows 8 bundle DID change to $70(AR) around a week after I posted this. There is/was another similar bundle with Windows 7 for $50(AR), but I'm not sure if it's still available on TigerDirect, though. I believe somebody else may have posted it on the forums.

When i go there now it says:
Final Price:
$69.99 After Rebate

Ah, thanks for pointing that fine print out. Although I alreadt sent out my rebate, I'll activate my copy now to avoid any holdups.

kickerstarter said:   Any ideas if Windows Blue will be a free upgrade or not?
It would obviously be free as it's an update. Rumors say that MS is Keen on making Windows blue common for Windows Pro, RT and WP8. Developers would love that!

nkonfya said:   Just confirmed that you DO NOT have to enter your Credit card info in the software for the rebate to work. Matter of fact, you dont even have to take the CD out of the case, everything you need to complete the rebate is on the back of the user manual, and your invoice details.You do have to activate and you can use a prepaid card that only has a bit over $1 left on it. Still remember to cancel the subscription, though.

Agreed, I came to my conclusion after a conversation with the sales representative at TigerDirect. It seems best to err on the side of caution and activate your software if not already done so before sending out your rebate. Although I activated it, I forgot to include my welcome email in my envelope. I sent everything else in that they explicitly asked for on the checklist. Ill let everyone know if it works out for me in case anyone else forgot.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014