• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
RigidBot 3D Printer
For close to a regular printer price you will get Rigidbot 3D Filament Printer $345+$50 ship on Kickstarter

NOTE:This will shipped on December 2013. Please read the kickstarter and the project rules and terms before pledging the amount

Rigidbot is in the last day of their Kickstarter project and it passed the $1,000,000 mark (I've got NO connection to the team, just an interested backer).

ORIGINAL Link is http://slickdeals.net/f/6020684-Rigidbot-3D-Filament-Printer-with-10inx10inx10in-volume-340-50-ship-Kickstarter

I'd been looking at making my own RepRap style printer, but had been following some of the Kickstarter projects since volume purchases definitely give buying power. I found that there was no way I could buy the parts for this one anywhere close to the offering price here. The Rigidbot is a Fused Filament style printer with a 1,000 cubic inch print volume (10" cube). This is a significantly larger print volume than most low cost units out there (they also have a 12x16x10 unit). What makes this a slickdeal though is the stretch goals that have been hit (and is about to be hit) that really push it over the top. The printer includes a 1kg spool of PLA, an upgraded power supply, and is on track to get the heated bed thrown in as well this afternoon. PROJECT FUNDS AT 6PM Central time so take a quick look

Specs:
build volume 10"x10"x10"
Filament Size: 1.75mm
Nozzle Size: 0.35mm
High resolution (layer height): 0.1mm (100 microns)
Material: PLA, ABS, Laywoo-D3, Nylon 618
Power supply: 12v 30A

The cheapest unit is a kit (assemble yourself) which is in many ways preferred if you want to understand and expand your printer. But you can also buy these fully assembled and calibrated. All printers include 1kg of PLA

Price:
$345 10"x10"x10" Kit
$465 10"x10"x10" Assembled
$550 12"x16"x10" Kit
$735 12"x16"x10" Assembled
Add $50 in USA and $90 International for shipping

Options (no extra shipping needed)
Extra PLA $25 each or 5 for $100 (shipping included only on first 5 extras)
Z-rod upgrade for even smoother prints $50
LCD/USB reader/controller for completely off-line printing $125 (kit) $175 (assembled)

When submitting a pledge, you select which printer you'd want, and then in the pledge amount enter the TOTAL cost of the printer, options, and shipping. The creator of the project then sends out a survey at the end of the funding period to verify which options your "extra" pledge money is for. So for 10x10x10 kit, z-rod, and shipping, you'd enter a pledge amount of $340+$50+$50=$440.

Member Summary

3D printer (42.99kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
The rigidbot will have a heated build plate, it was the 1 million dollar stretch goal. It should be able to print with ... (more)

dreamlogic (May. 11, 2013 @ 9:26p) |

Just be aware that most Kickstarter projects come in extremely late. I've backed three projects, one didn't work at all ... (more)

android (May. 14, 2013 @ 2:40a) |

We have two Makerbots. Printing can be a pain, filament is touchy.
Pretty simple to download from THINGIVERSE and print w... (more)

EvilWizardGlick (May. 14, 2013 @ 6:38a) |

This is a fantastic price for a solidly built 3D printer. Sub $400 to enter, shipped.

nords said:   This is a fantastic price for a solidly built 3D printer. Sub $400 to enter, shipped.
You are right.
If any person interested in 3D printing then this is great deal!

4 more hours to go..

Any way to do without joining Amazon payments?

You can contact the creator by emailing him so that he can able to help you.

Yeah, I bet he's busy about now. Hoping someone has done this. I ended up using Amazon payments, but I'm not happy about it. How do you add the extras? I just piled the money in, but could only select the printer itself.

Very frustrating first time around...

I don't see how it can be accurate enough w/ those injection molded corners.
After you put it together, how do you know if it's in tight enough? Or if you pushed it in too hard and deformed the plastic?

You have to put one single amount after hitting manage my pledge option

$340 +$50 = your pledge amount should be $390

add $50(for Z-Rod this is really necessary as per some 3D senior members) then your pledge amount should be $440

if you want more filament then

add $25 per kg or $100 for 5kg (you can choose colors later) then your pledge amount should be either $465 or $540

upon completion of the campaign or at a later time, they'll e-mail us a survey to ask what extra amount is for.

Please remember Kickstarter is not a store and read about how it works before pledging

Cool, in for one. Why not.

This is essentially paying ahead for beta testing a new design printer. Paying ahead nearly six months or more.
And if there are any problems with manufacturing or design it either pushes back the release date, or kills the project.
Smells like big gamble to me.

Warning: only 10"x10"x10". You won't be able to print your own ICBM with this model.

EvilWizardGlick said:   This is essentially paying ahead for beta testing a new design printer. Paying ahead nearly six months or more.
And if there are any problems with manufacturing or design it either pushes back the release date, or kills the project.
Smells like big gamble to me.

You are exactly right if you think in terms of buying an item but in terms Kickstarter it is a new concept so that a common man or small companies with ideas creates a working prototype and asks for support so that they can make it to big level. In terms of backers they might get the product at an earlier date at a cheaper price.

I've kickstarted items before, including a 3D printer which was supposed to ship back in September 2012. I have yet to receive it due to production delays. I have no doubt I will receive it eventually, but just keep in mind that the more successful the project the more likely it will experience production delays.

Specifically, say you need a fairly unique part to produce your 3D printer (circuit boards, motor controllers, whatever). You shop around and find 15 different stores selling the part, each of which say they have a quantity of 10 in stock and can ship it to you tomorrow. Unfortunately, those stores don't actually have that inventory. That inventory is at their supplier, and they plan to have their supplier drop-ship the item directly to you. So after your wildly successful kickstarter, you order the full 150 you need, expecting to have them within a week. Instead, you get 10 parts from the first store, and the remaining 140 parts are on backorder for 2 months while the supplier takes their sweet time producing the remaining 140.

Anyway, just keep in mind that a fair degree of patience is needed. I don't think there have been ANY kickstarters over $1 million that have shipped on time.

gurunani said:   You have to put one single amount after hitting manage my pledge option

$340 +$50 = your pledge amount should be $390

add $50(for Z-Rod this is really necessary as per some 3D senior members) then your pledge amount should be $440

if you want more filament then

add $25 per kg or $100 for 5kg (you can choose colors later) then your pledge amount should be either $465 or $540

upon completion of the campaign or at a later time, they'll e-mail us a survey to ask what extra amount is for.

Please remember Kickstarter is not a store and read about how it works before pledging

Thanks for the response.

Sure, Kickstarter isn't a store, but really, no suggestion after all this time for a comment box for the pledge, where you could spell it out or just say "love your idea"?

http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

Please don't post kickstarters as "deals". Kickstarter is not a store.

I have a printrbot+ they are much harder to operate than most people expect. If you are not extremely tech savey, don't even dream of touching one. The pieces they produce are not as good as their injection molded counter-parts, and are significantly slower and more expensive to produce!

That said, I am able to design and print something in a couple hours. If I don't like it I can tweek it and reprint relatively cheaply. I don't need to wait for the print to ship to me to see it. My children love the toys that I'm able to print with them. This is a prototypers dream and I would argue it a must for any good shop.

It's awesome to be able to go to the dollar store gram some cheap toys, rip out the motors in them, and build your own inventions. (Parts are a lot cheaper when you recyle them from other toys, even new ones from the $ store.)

Well, actually, the injection molded corners should be more about rigidity and ease of assembly. The homing should be more toward the center of the robotics module, so accuracy is highest at the center, where you should co-locate the center of your part. The extrusions that go into the corners should be a slip fit that bottoms out.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   http://www.kickstarter.com/blog/kickstarter-is-not-a-store

Please don't post kickstarters as "deals". Kickstarter is not a store.

Please ignore HSHP. I never would have known, if not for gurunani. I may end up regretting it in the end, but with any luck, I'll have this in time for Xmas.

Other things to know. Current ship date is November estimated. Can only do PLA not ABS, no heated pad. 10 x 10 x 10 is actually quite big. It seems like a nice setup there are about 3-4 other printers in the $500 range.

For those that don't want to wait for a Kickstarter project, Staples has now started to carry the CubeX 3D printer, for $1300.

The rigidbot will have a heated build plate, it was the 1 million dollar stretch goal. It should be able to print with ABS, though you'll probably still experience some warping without a heated chamber.

I'd avoid the cube printers unless you have a way to avoid their chipped filament cartridges (I use an Afinia Printer)

Just be aware that most Kickstarter projects come in extremely late. I've backed three projects, one didn't work at all (and was late), the other was late and worked so-so, and the third is over a year late and not even close to ready. I'd really recommend against buying anything there. You are better off either buying retail (discounted of course) where you can see reviews, and return a defective product. Or just wait for the Kickstarter project to become a real product from a real company, and then buy it. Kickstarter is a place for earnest but it seems misguided inventors, who have little experience in production and manufacturing.

Remember, it's not a deal if a) it doesn't work, or b) you never get it, or c) you get it years later, when other better products are already on the market.

Table83 said:   I have a printrbot+ they are much harder to operate than most people expect. If you are not extremely tech savey, don't even dream of touching one. The pieces they produce are not as good as their injection molded counter-parts, and are significantly slower and more expensive to produce!

That said, I am able to design and print something in a couple hours. If I don't like it I can tweek it and reprint relatively cheaply. I don't need to wait for the print to ship to me to see it. My children love the toys that I'm able to print with them. This is a prototypers dream and I would argue it a must for any good shop.

It's awesome to be able to go to the dollar store gram some cheap toys, rip out the motors in them, and build your own inventions. (Parts are a lot cheaper when you recyle them from other toys, even new ones from the $ store.)

We have two Makerbots. Printing can be a pain, filament is touchy.
Pretty simple to download from THINGIVERSE and print what is shared.But, the mesh or .stl may not always be correctly done. Sucks to get three quarters through a print and have it screw up because of bad mesh.
I'm setting up our Shark CNC machine.
I'm hoping to do the toy thing.
CNC can cut metal, which greatly expands my horizons.
In theory between the Makerbots and the Shark not mush is out of reach.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014