• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
There is a 10% off any one item coupon that Staples emailed, which should cover the tax making this a slight mm.

1brooklyn1 said:   There is a 10% off any one item coupon that Staples emailed, which should cover the tax making this a slight mm.Also, today's paper coupon has the 5/27 expiration date, which matches the rebate.

Moby99 said:   I went to Staples and presented the coupon and the cashier entered code 866957 and my balance was $0.00. He said I didn't need to complete a rebate form because the coupon/code took it off automatically. On my receipt it has the coupon code 866957 under the item and then 0.01. Anyone else experience this?

I had the same thing happen a couple months ago. Was weird but i was happy

aarzi said:   Maybe he will get in trouble, or he might be taught how to avoid such mistakes in the future. Either way, it's his fault. Why would you try to cover his fault? What if he was working for you in your store?
As for donating, you cannot give away what is not yours. What are you, a modern-day robbin' hood?

Why isn't his? He did nothing wrong, and as far as you know the cashier didn't either.

The sad part is you have no idea if it was a cashier mistake, a system mistake, or some sort of limited test they were running. lucky for us that never stops you from assuming you do know....

Even if it was a cashier error, I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would prosecute someone for accepting an under-ring in this circumstance. He can do what he wants with it.

aarzi said:   What are you, a modern-day robbin' hood?Nice modernization on the man from Sherwood forest.

Dano

aarzi said:   emp1 said:   aarzi said:   Why would it not go well? And what is so hard about explaining that you never paid for it?Wouldn't that might get the cashier in trouble? So by doing the "right" thing might end up screwing the cashier over. I guess he could always just sneak it in, whats the point of doing a "return" when there is no item to return anyway.
I had that happen to me at Sears with in-store pickup once, I wanted to return the item and apparently the guy never marked the order that I picked it up so when I went to do a return I couldn't because I never picked it up. The guy had to do "pick-up" and then return right away, if I wouldn't have wanted to return the item I would have never ended up paying for it, lol.
... and ethics be damned.
They did ask if everything was fine and were assured that it was correct. Not like they tried to hide it. Then their is their time and gas to return it and rectify the issue.

Bottom line, Staples needs to get rid of these non-inventory skus. In existence for at least 6 months and the cashiers are still screwing up these transactions. Sometimes the customer "wins" but mostly the customer loses when the cashier does not get the sku entered correctly. Seen more of the latter than the former.

I am with you Math. If anyone is to blame it's Staples for making things so complicated that their own people can't figure it out. It's funny that other stores are able to load coupons right to loyalty accounts electronically and even accept gift cards online, but for some reason these guys who's motto is "that was easy" still manage to over complicate the simplest things.

mathfaster said:   Bottom line, Staples needs to get rid of these non-inventory skus. In existence for at least 6 months and the cashiers are still screwing up these transactions. Sometimes the customer "wins" but mostly the customer loses when the cashier does not get the sku entered correctly. Seen more of the latter than the former.Works better for us when there is a percent off coupon to use, so I am OK with keeping them. Maybe they just need to train their cashiers better. I used one a few weeks ago and the cashier had never seen one before and had to ask another cashiers (of course he would not listen to me). Of course, if they actually READ the coupon, it would tell them exactly what to do.

billrubin said:   Of course, if they actually READ the coupon, it would tell them exactly what to do.

I now use my $0.01 back-to-school highlighters to mark the cashier instructions on all coupons. I haven't had any coupon entry errors since.

billrubin said:   Of course, if they actually READ the coupon, it would tell them exactly what to do.I don't think we want to encourage cashiers to read coupons.

aarzi said:   emp1 said:   aarzi said:   Why would it not go well? And what is so hard about explaining that you never paid for it?Wouldn't that might get the cashier in trouble? So by doing the "right" thing might end up screwing the cashier over. I guess he could always just sneak it in, whats the point of doing a "return" when there is no item to return anyway.
I had that happen to me at Sears with in-store pickup once, I wanted to return the item and apparently the guy never marked the order that I picked it up so when I went to do a return I couldn't because I never picked it up. The guy had to do "pick-up" and then return right away, if I wouldn't have wanted to return the item I would have never ended up paying for it, lol.
Fate is strange. I had a similar situation to the person who got the free ream of paper. I went to Kohl's to exchange a carbonation cartridge. I got it for free instead of $15. Well it would have been around $4.xx after $10 Kohl's coupon and 15% coupon. The CSR rep said it was free. I said it should be $15 for an exchange. She called someone and no one knew hot to handle it and they said they just exchange them. Don't think so and told them so. In the end they just gave it to me for free. They are $15 at Staples and BBBY both of which I have exchanged cartridges with in the past. Ethics? Was I supposed to stand there all night until they figured it out?

mathfaster said:   aarzi said:   emp1 said:   aarzi said:   Why would it not go well? And what is so hard about explaining that you never paid for it?Wouldn't that might get the cashier in trouble? So by doing the "right" thing might end up screwing the cashier over. I guess he could always just sneak it in, whats the point of doing a "return" when there is no item to return anyway.
Fate is strange. I had a similar situation to the person who got the free ream of paper. I went to Kohl's to exchange a carbonation cartridge. I got it for free instead of $15. Well it would have been around $4.xx after $10 Kohl's coupon and 15% coupon. The CSR rep said it was free. I said it should be $15 for an exchange. She called someone and no one knew hot to handle it and they said they just exchange them. Don't think so and told them so. In the end they just gave it to me for free. They are $15 at Staples and BBBY both of which I have exchanged cartridges with in the past. Ethics? Was I supposed to stand there all night until they figured it out?
Retail is a tough business and it sounds like you really worked to make it right and they decided to not hassle over the $4.xx. Kohl's makes it very easy to return products and seem focused on getting customer service right to retain their customers. Your time is valuable and they most likely made the decision to write-off the loss to keep you as a satisfied customer. Don't forget they are used to dealing with a problem going the other direction which is a real pain.

Moby99 said:   I went to Staples and presented the coupon and the cashier entered code 866957 and my balance was $0.00. He said I didn't need to complete a rebate form because the coupon/code took it off automatically. On my receipt it has the coupon code 866957 under the item and then 0.01. Anyone else experience this?

I second that. That's exactly what happened to me when i used that type of dummy coupon a few months ago. Since then i lost interest in dummy coupons as it has no value in getting rid of the reward coupons (and i also don't need more paper to take up the space).

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014