rated:

Member Summary

home depot
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
AMEN!!!!

ineed3ofme (Oct. 16, 2013 @ 8:31a) |

So does the FATWALLET bounce ( Purchase online) have any effect if you try to get the invoice adjusted at pickup instore... (more)

normal1 (Dec. 03, 2013 @ 8:50a) |

You can now get the 10% discount online

This should allow you to be able to compound it with credit card Cash Back portal... (more)

Deals4Military (Jan. 17, 2014 @ 9:14a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I was under the impression that both Home Depot and Lowes give veterans 10% off year round.

esaba said:   I was under the impression that both Home Depot and Lowes give veterans 10% off year round.

not according to this fine print:

The Home Depot offers a Holiday Military Discount of 10% (up to a maximum of $500) off a single-receipt purchase at The Home Depot U.S. stores. The discount is available on the holiday weekends of Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day and Veterans Day to all active-duty, National Guard and reserve, retiree and disabled service members, honorably discharged veterans, and their spouses and dependent children. The customer’s valid military ID card or a valid DD214 Form must be presented at the time of purchase.

Redeemable for a 10% discount on a single receipt in-store purchase at The Home Depot® U.S. stores only. Discount is available on in-stock and special-order purchases with a maximum discount of $500 per transaction. Present your valid military ID card or valid DD214 Form to cashier at time of purchase to receive your discount. Discount applies to Special Buys unless otherwise noted. Discount does not apply to sales at HomeDepot.com, previous sales, gift cards, or sales of services, including freight, delivery or labor SKUs. Cannot be combined with any other offer, discount or promotion. Discount is for personal use only and cannot be received for business use. The transaction cannot be affiliated with a job name, Pro key tag or paid for with a commercial credit card account. Select products and SKUs are systematically excluded from the discount, including without limitation certain commodity products and value priced merchandise – see your local The Home Depot store for details. Not available for online purchases.

I always got it in store year around. If this is a change I'll just go to Lowes. That would be a bad move and create bad vibes.

esaba said:   I was under the impression that both Home Depot and Lowes give veterans 10% off year round.
I know Lowes is year round because my hubby uses his Lowes vet discount year round.

Lowes would not accept a DD-214 from me.

I found this about Home Depot and Lowes Military Discounts:

Both stores have basically the same policies, and offer two different, but related, discounts.

The military discount is supposed to be for active duty military,current reservists, National Guard members, retirees, disabled veterans and their families. It gives a 10% discount to eligible patrons every day.

The veterans’ discount is for any and all veterans. It gives a 10% discount to eligible patrons on selected patriotic holiday weekends such as Independence Day, Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day.

A lot of confusion seems to come from the fact that these are two separate discount groups within the same general program. Also, many stores have generously been offering the military discount to people who are actually only eligible for the veterans’ discount. As a result, many customers don’t know which discount is which and there is a lot of misunderstanding.

I am retired from active duty and I get 10% off from Home Depot and Lowes year round.

I have always been given the 10% discount any time by just showing my ID card.

Scifiguy123 said:   esaba said:   I was under the impression that both Home Depot and Lowes give veterans 10% off year round.

I found this about Home Depot and Lowes Military Discounts:

Both stores have basically the same policies, and offer two different, but related, discounts.

The military discount is supposed to be for active duty military,current reservists, National Guard members, retirees, disabled veterans and their families. It gives a 10% discount to eligible patrons every day.

The veterans’ discount is for any and all veterans. It gives a 10% discount to eligible patrons on selected patriotic holiday weekends such as Independence Day, Memorial Day and Veterans’ Day.

A lot of confusion seems to come from the fact that these are two separate discount groups within the same general program. Also, many stores have generously been offering the military discount to people who are actually only eligible for the veterans’ discount. As a result, many customers don’t know which discount is which and there is a lot of misunderstanding.

I am retired from active duty and I get 10% off from Home Depot and Lowes year round.

Also retired after 20 years of active duty and always get the 10% at both Lowes and Home Depot and have for years.

I tried buying a garage remote at Home Depot and the military discount would not take anything off.

After some arguing and phone calls, I learned from corporate that there are certain products that are excluded from any discounts. It's programmed into the computer as "non-discountable" and the price cannot be changed by anyone in the store.

So even if you are buying a product with a legitimate coupon or discount or price match that does not list any exclusions for the product you are buying, the computer will not discount it if the SKU is on this secret list of "non-discountable" items. Of course they wouldn't let me see the list because it's "confidential."

Want to see this for yourself? Try to buy this item at your local Home Depot store using any sort of discount. Computer will give all sorts of errors, and chances are your manager will say "I've never seen this happen before," try to manually adjust the price without success, and eventually give up and give it to you for free. At least mine did

ScifiGuy nailed it. There's nothing new about any of this. I'm not a retiree or disabled, so I'm technically only supposed to get the discount on Memorial Day weekend and Veteran's Day. My local HD always accepts my DD-214, though.

I have an old ID card that I flash at them for the veteran's discount.

HD and Lowes offer year round. I use it all the time

Veterans vs. ID card holders. Not complicated.

Scifiguy123 gave great info.
I am a disabled vet and on my id card it says "service connected". Other vets who are not disabled and who are in the VA health care system will have a id card but it lacks this identifier.

While both depot and Lowes have about the same corp policy many stores extend the discount to all veterans year round. it seems to be on a store level or regional level. My local depot has a info sheet from corporate with pictures of the exact location of the wording "service connected" for the cashier. My local Lowes requires a manager to visually inspect the id card and approve the discount.

Both Home Depot and Lowes use to give me a military discount with military id card. As of last fall on two different occassions Home Depot refused to give me a military discount. I asked why and they stated that their policy had changed. Lowes continues to give a military discount with id card.

The 'secret list' of non-discountable items is indeed confusing. Recently got a bunch of stuff, I'll tell you now that drywall and roll insulation did NOT discount. Packs of door molding, doors, joint compound DID.

Last year, I found that 250' of 14/2 wire did discount but 250' or 12/2 did NOT [or was it vice-versa, don't remember). Neither were on any special sale. Does that make sense?

MISTERCHEAP said:   http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=m...

link didn't bring anything up for me

here is what I found too: linky

OverRuled said:   I have always been given the 10% discount any time by just showing my ID card.

You must be the anti-climax guy.

woowoo2 said:   Lowes would not accept a DD-214 from me.

Because you wrote a check for 69 cents.

Didn't know it made a difference but my VA card does say Service Connected/Purple Heart. I usually don't use that though. I use my Uniformed Services ID.

We wrote checks for up to and including our lives.

spoke with Home Depot store manager... active military get 10% year round... veterans only on the holidays

camar0 said:   spoke with Home Depot store manager... active military get 10% year round... veterans only on the holidays
Unless you are a disabled vet that has "service connected" written on the id card.

When I show my id 75% of the time the cashier does not even check it. I did have one time the cashier would not apply the discount because I used a business debit card. She argued it was then not personal use. first time for that one...

i went to the store to get an item... online had item for ~279 and instore showed $329.... there apparently was a bath 15% off which is the difference... cashier at customer service said they would match online price but cannot do 10% military after.... hmmmm.... so called Home Depot on the phone and they noted u can get military discount on phone orders.... she took my order for 10% off the online price and didn't even ask my service...

gotta love confusion

I have Agent Orange exposure(nonhodgkins tumor removed 40 years ago) but no military disability rating. That one sends both Lowes and Home Depot into a real tailspin. Didn't have the patience to wait 6 years for VA to figure out what to do. SS was 9 1/2 months for almost the same money. As per usual no one knows what they are doing.

I am a Vietnam vet who has a VA ID card. From what I have seen, Lowes gives a 10% discount to active duty military, retired military and to all veterans who are receiving VA benefits. I've never had any problem at Lowes getting the 10% discount using my VA card, haven't found any non-discountable items yet. My VA card says "Service Connected" but according to the Lowes website that doesn't matter, just that you have the VA card to show you are receiving benefits. Haven't tried Home Depot yet, but I prefer Loes anyway. A couple times the Home Depot floor employee has told me to go down the street to Lowes because Home Depot doesn't carry that product.

camar0 said:   spoke with Home Depot store manager... active military get 10% year round... veterans only on the holidays

I'm a veteran (retired USAF) and get the 10% discount year round. Have never been refused or even questioned at a HD. I show the retired ID and get the discount.

I looked at the Lowes policy on line and it seems they don't require the VA card to say "Service Connected" you just need to be receiving benefits. They don't seem to have a $500.00 limit either.

This is directly from the Lowes web site...

Lowe's established the 10% Military Discount to support the men and women who are currently serving our country in the Armed Services and to honor Retired Veterans and VA Recipients. This 10% discount is also extended to the immediate family of those who are currently serving, Retired Veterans, or VA Recipients.
To qualify for the Everyday 10% Military Discount, you must:
Be currently serving in, or retired from, a qualifying branch of the Armed Services, or be the immediate family member of someone who is and have a valid military ID Card.
Or:
Be a veteran who receives VA benefits and have a valid Veteran Identification Card (VIC).
We honor all Veterans on three specific holidays: Memorial Day, 4th of July and Veterans Day. During these three holiday weekends, we extend the discount to all veterans who served honorably and who present a valid Form DD214 or other proof of service. The Lowe’s Military Discount is extended to the Veteran community on these three holidays only.
The Military Discount must be used on personal purchases only and cannot be used for Lowes.com purchases, previous sales, or the purchase of gift cards or services including product installations. It cannot be combined with the Lowe’s Price Guarantee, or promotions such as "Spend and Get," "New Mover," "Project Starter," "Your Choice," or discounts such as Quote Support Program (QSP) quotes.
1 Armed Services — US Army, US Navy, US Air Force, US Marine Corps, US Coast Guard, or the National Guard and who are in active, reserve, or retired status.
2 Retired Veterans and VA Recipients — Veterans who have retired after 20 years of service and/or those who receive VA Benefits
3 Immediate Family — Spouses and/or dependent children (up to 18 years old.)

Never had problem showing my VA (non-service connected) card at either year round. Maybe being in a big military town (Pensacola, FL) helps as both places/all locations see a lot of military Peeps.

More experience with military/veterans discount at HD: Tried using it on a large carpet + install purchase (close to $3K). It was only discounting on $2K of the purchase, explaining that $1000 of it was 'installation labor', not discountable. Which doesn't make sense, the total labor (with a special 'whole house' promotion) was only about $200, but for some inexplicable reason, the cost of the PADDING was lumped in with 'labor'.

But wait, there's more; this promotion gives you $37 installation, vs. the regular $97. That is applied as a $60 coupon at checkout, and the clerk said you can't apply 2 discounts, pick one or the other ($60 or $200, duh). Normally one would just separate the purchases, but in this case it's all bundled together so you really can't.

Finally, the service desk was being extremely persnickety about the forms of ID accepted, and the one being used wasn't on their official list - there IS no government-issued ID card for just plain veterans, and they wouldn't accept the county-issued picture ID card. Generally clerks at regular checkout do accept that.

The upshot, I expected to get the $37 installation plus some $300 discount. Even if they accepted the ID, the net savings would 'only' have been $140. Perhaps I could have argued this until the cops came, but you're fighting their corporate computer, the staff can't do anything to override that.

Yes, it's nice that many items get a discount, but I really wanted to take advantage of this large purchase. The next day I bought $200 worth of kitchen floor tile and supplies, and that all got discounted. So, finding $20 on the floor instead of $140 is still better than finding nothing (does that make sense?).

I think that Lowes and Home Depot should change their wording to read " not all honorable vets get the everyday 10% discount "
I'am a 6 yr Vietnam vet. and had to fight to get the 10% discount ."everyday"as stated...
I not only presented my DD 214, my drivers lic. and American legion and my VFW membership cards and when i said do you want to see my us passport they finally gave in.. How much proof do you want.......................
This is a slap in the face to all vets and should not be any discrimination .
Vets are vets and gave their time to our country to protect all.
Give this discount to all vets everyday, don't slap us in the face.

sam

My mother is a disabled veterans widow and has a military dependent card.  I have seen her on many occasions not just holidays receive a 10% discount on her purchases at Home Depot.  She shows her military dependent card at the register and always receives 10% discount regardless of the date.

I have that card to.. I had to go to Ft Jackson to the Strom Thurmond building to get mine (as the spouse of a 100% service connected veteran).. Before i had this card i would get some questions every now and then from Lowes and Home Depot.. Now i get discounts all over the place.. Before i buy i just ask if they give discounts to vets some do some dont... but it is worth the try  a lot of places like dunkin donuts for example will give u a 10% discount but they dont advertise it... 

eskight said:   I think that Lowes and Home Depot should change their wording to read " not all honorable vets get the everyday 10% discount "
I'am a 6 yr Vietnam vet. and had to fight to get the 10% discount ."everyday"as stated...
I not only presented my DD 214, my drivers lic. and American legion and my VFW membership cards and when i said do you want to see my us passport they finally gave in.. How much proof do you want.......................
This is a slap in the face to all vets and should not be any discrimination .
Vets are vets and gave their time to our country to protect all.
Give this discount to all vets everyday, don't slap us in the face.

sam

AMEN!!!!

So does the FATWALLET bounce ( Purchase online) have any effect if you try to get the invoice adjusted at pickup instore ?

You can now get the 10% discount online

This should allow you to be able to compound it with credit card Cash Back portals like discover or ebates for example

INSTRUCTIONS: you add it to your cart and click chat with representative. View the full details HERE

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014