• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
GreenWorks 27022 10 Amp 14" Corded Dethatcher $105 FREE SHIPPING

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030BG1HM/ref=oh_details_o00_s...

Amazon
Get Up to 6.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

greenworks
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Mulching grass clippings into the lawn does NOT cause thatch. They are beneficial and provide nutrients to the lawn.

Tha... (more)

DiamondJim22 (May. 30, 2013 @ 9:07p) |

Deal is over. It's back up to $142.45

srgtkenny (May. 30, 2013 @ 9:15p) |

Delivered is 2 weeks despite the projected delivery date and it worked great!
-Ken

srgtkenny (Jun. 15, 2013 @ 3:55p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

You beat me. Just ordered it.

Me too! I've been waiting for another deal. Too bad the delivery time is so far out. I guess I will plan to do the dethatching in the fall. That's the best time to do it anyway.

"Usually ships within 2 to 4 months."

Yeah, I know. But they are sold out everywhere. I'm OK waiting anyway. You don't want to do it in Summer. Fall is the best time.

I was just done with dethatching using a thatching rake. It worked fine, but really time consuming. This guy runs like mower. It'll pay itself within a season.

In 4 1

I ordered one in the beginning of May when it dropped to $102, or close to that price. I have not opened it yet, but was wondering when the best time was to dethatch. The other question was how often you need to replace the spikes as I only see them here for $69 for 18. Anyone know where to get more spikes when needed?

victorb said:   I ordered one in the beginning of May when it dropped to $102, or close to that price. I have not opened it yet, but was wondering when the best time was to dethatch. The other question was how often you need to replace the spikes as I only see them here for $69 for 18. Anyone know where to get more spikes when needed?

That $69 is inflated price by a 3rd party seller with bad reviews. Wait until amaz0n has in stock and buy from amaz0n. The regular price is around $15 if you buy from amaz0n.

I don't understand why, if thatch is such a problem, some mowers, such as the Greenworks 13 Amp 21" mower at Lowes, have a mulching mode, that leaves the mulch on the ground to become thatch.

Does it depend on what kind of grass you have?

in for one

Bought a new house in August, yard could use some love

9000 said:   I don't understand why, if thatch is such a problem, some mowers, such as the Greenworks 13 Amp 21" mower at Lowes, have a mulching mode, that leaves the mulch on the ground to become thatch.

Does it depend on what kind of grass you have?

yes...but basically de-thatching is a bad idea.
http://journaltimes.com/lifestyles/home-and-garden/the-root-of-i...
Core aeration works much better. Do that in spring and early fall, and your lawn will like that

Despite the common perception, allowing grass clippings to remain on the lawn does not contribute to thatch. In fact, mulching is the preferred method compared to bagging or side discharge, since the clippings break down fast and add nutrients to the soil.

Poor watering practices like frequent, short watering can contribute to thatch by encouraging shallow roots.
Poor fertilizing practices like too much nitrogen will cause excessive growth.
Regular aeration will also prevent excessive thatch buildup, among other benefits.
Thatch is also a good thing, when it's less than 1" thick since it blocks out weeds, protects, etc.

But for me, I think dethatching goes well with over-seeding.

Got one of these last deal and it works amazingly well. Runs like a vacuum cleaner; back and forth a few times over each area and it pulls up all the dead stuff. Follow up with the lawn mower to suck up the clippings.

Comes with a full set of replacement tines which should last awhile.

De-thatching always makes my bermuda grass look and grow better. Core aeration is helpful, too, but I see more fungus problems when thatch builds in our bermuda.

I find the best way to get rid of thatch in bermuda is in the winter when it's still dormant--scalp the crap out of it with a bagged mower. You get rid of the little "twigs" and you suck the thatch off the ground. The only hassle is that you'll have to empty the bag every dozen yards because it gets rid of so much crap! And wear a dust mask because the stuff flies every where!

The manufacturer on the Amazon page states: "Along the way, homeowners spill more than 17 million gallons of gas while refueling. That's equivalent to the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster. It's time to move beyond clumsy, harmful gas-powered mowers. It's time for GreenWorks to be your lawn tools for life."

Nothing against this product, but when they quote this ridiculous "statistic", it makes me laugh.

Works great. Bought it back in April when they had it for the same price (plus tax).

"Usually ships within 2 to 4 months." Is this what is actually happening?

Sorry for off topic. If I order other items together with this, will the other items ship first sicne this will not be shipped in at least 2 more months? The other items not total over $25 so I would like to combine them for the free super saver shipping.

Is the same thing as a verticutter / power rake? In other words, does it score the earth at all (for over-seeding)?

Got this last few months back and used it once. It really works, now the lawn looks much greener.
The only thing that I had to do, not sure of others, was every few yardsI run this detatcher, it shuts off, reset it back and it runs for few more yards. I used it only once, I think, lawn was a bit wet when I used it. I am planning to used it again in fall, will try on a dry day.

frett said:   The manufacturer on the Amazon page states: "Along the way, homeowners spill more than 17 million gallons of gas while refueling. That's equivalent to the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster. It's time to move beyond clumsy, harmful gas-powered mowers. It's time for GreenWorks to be your lawn tools for life."

Nothing against this product, but when they quote this ridiculous "statistic", it makes me laugh.
Based on how much fuel I spill every year from those stupid new gas cans, I'd say that's about right. Don't get rid of the mowers though; get rid of the gas cans!

Good suggestion! But now how do you fill...? Drag the mower to gas station?

dcwilbur said:   Based on how much fuel I spill every year from those stupid new gas cans, I'd say that's about right. Don't get rid of the mowers though; get rid of the gas cans!

Like this guy.

frett said:   The manufacturer on the Amazon page states: "Along the way, homeowners spill more than 17 million gallons of gas while refueling. That's equivalent to the 1989 Exxon Valdez disaster. It's time to move beyond clumsy, harmful gas-powered mowers. It's time for GreenWorks to be your lawn tools for life."

Don't laugh so quickly. GreenWorks is just quoting a real statistic by the EPA.

SOURCE: EPA Task Group on Environmentally and Economically Beneficial Landscaping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUjMNOWk914&feature=youtube_gdata_player

9000 said:   I don't understand why, if thatch is such a problem, some mowers, such as the Greenworks 13 Amp 21" mower at Lowes, have a mulching mode, that leaves the mulch on the ground to become thatch.

Mulching grass clippings into the lawn does NOT cause thatch. They are beneficial and provide nutrients to the lawn.

Thatch is caused by over fertilizing and watering too often and too shallowly. Causes excessive shoot growth at the surface. Cut back on fertilizer and water less often and more deeply when you do.

Deal is over. It's back up to $142.45

Dethatcher in action
Disclaimer

Dethatcher in action
Disclaimer
Delivered is 2 weeks despite the projected delivery date and it worked great!
-Ken

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014