• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Title says it all. You can combine smaller denominations of GCs to make $200, but I think two $100 GCs is the minimum most will want to go. Mine had a decent stack of $200 cards, but I saw on FT that many people are seeing $100 only. Limit is "1 per transaction," and the cashier allowed me to do 5 separate transactions. Summary:

-206.95 Cost of $200 gift card
+ 10.00 Instant Discount
-----------------------------------
-196.95 OTD price
+200.00 Loaded to BB
-----------------------------------
3.05 Net profit

Additional benefit: 1035 UR points via Ink card

OfficeMax
See OfficeMax discounts that earn Up to 4.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

OfficeMax $10 discount on >= $200 in Visa/MC Gift Card purchase
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Add Winn Dixie, CVS and Taco Bell to that list (where you can zero out Visa/Mastercard/AMEX prepaid cards)

vrb747 (Jun. 24, 2013 @ 12:48p) |

Pretty much all the grocery stores, but not Pathmark and it's sisters (SuperFresh, Waldbaum's ....).

aarzi (Jun. 24, 2013 @ 10:40p) |

When does this promo end? And for those with Serve accounts can this be loaded to the account or will it be rejected the... (more)

1brooklyn1 (Jun. 26, 2013 @ 12:53a) |

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I'm guessing in store only, correct? It's not a bad deal. I want to have some around for ordering stuff online and not using my "real card", but don't want to pay the fee to get the card, so this works well for me

In store only and there are ZERO 200 dollars Visa or Mastercard GC - NONE. OM has stopped carrying them for a LONG time now. The deal is 2 dollars for 200 dollars in Visa GC. The other GC are fine for those that want them, but there are NO 200 dollars Visa GC in OM.

utvfl said:   I'm guessing in store only, correct? It's not a bad deal. I want to have some around for ordering stuff online and not using my "real card", but don't want to pay the fee to get the card, so this works well for me

Good point. Added B&M to title.

raccah1 said:   In store only and there are ZERO 200 dollars Visa or Mastercard GC - NONE. OM has stopped carrying them for a LONG time now. The deal is 2 dollars for 200 dollars in Visa GC. The other GC are fine for those that want them, but there are NO 200 dollars Visa GC in OM.

Perhaps I was lucky with my store, but I got 5 $200 cards today, and there were probably 20 more available. May be rare, but it's not true that OM doesn't carry the $200 ones.

My bad - all the OM in my area seem to only carry 100 - thanks for the tip!!!

dukerau said:   Title says it all. You can combine smaller denominations of GCs to make $200, but I think two $100 GCs is the minimum most will want to go.Unless you have $200 cards at your local store, it doesn't seem worth it to buy multiples to combine to get $200 because each card will require activation fees. Even buying 2 $100 cards will be over $10 in fees correct? If so you'd either lose money or make very little for the effort involved.

triamarker said:   dukerau said:   Title says it all. You can combine smaller denominations of GCs to make $200, but I think two $100 GCs is the minimum most will want to go.Unless you have $200 cards at your local store, it doesn't seem worth it to buy multiples to combine to get $200 because each card will require activation fees. Even buying 2 $100 cards will be over $10 in fees correct? If so you'd either lose money or make very little for the effort involved.

Depends on what rewards you're getting. If you get 5x, then you'd still be making ~$8 per transaction when buying two $100 cards. As to effort involved, that varies from person to person.

great find op!

what is the ink card?

1035 UR points via Ink card

greatdeals_007 said:   what is the ink card?

1035 UR points via Ink card

Chase Ink business card. Earns 5x points per $1 spent at office supply stores.

Anyone know how long deal runs?

till end of week

has anyone else had a problem with this at the register? I found $200's but when they scanned one and rang it up it didn't take off $10...

Correct! They need to be "trained" to open their white book and it has a slip of paper with coupon tags that they need to scan. The 10 dollars does NOT come off automatically, they need to manually scan the code and then it works - what can I say they are lazy people...

I had an OM thrust ten of them at me when I just wanted two or three. They were holding gift cards behind the register. Another fellow told me he cleaned out 40 from the one 15 miles away.

I used to get these back when you could still cash out MaxPerks by buying gift cards. There are a few extra quirks with the Gift Card Mall Visas that are worth being aware of:

Authorizations are sometimes larger than the amount actually charged for no apparent reason (not just at restaurants where this is standard practice). If I paid $10 towards my Sprint bill the Gift Card Mall Visa would show a pending authorization of $11 or $12. This was irritating since with other prepaid Visa cards I'd usually zero them out by paying their remaining balance on my Sprint bill. I couldn't do this with Gift Card Mall unless I wanted to leave a small balance on the card!

They also arbitrarily deny transactions from certain merchants. I can't remember which merchant it was, but it was a common US company with nothing out of the ordinary. After the transaction was declined I called customer service for the card and was told that they don't allow transactions within whatever category that merchant was setup.

Those were the only problems I ran into, but keep the first point in mind if you go ahead with this deal. Would be a shame to "make" $10, only to negate the benefit by inadvertently leaving a balance on any of these cards.

Code isn't scanning so they have to enter manually and one at a time so only been doing 2-3 per visit. I might hit them one last time at the end of the week. I did have to fill out a form on the 3rd visit.

Is anyone actually using these for real spending? Most people that get them use them to feed birds or green lights, or buy money orders with them.

calwatch said:   Is anyone actually using these for real spending? Most people that get them use them to feed birds or green lights, or buy money orders with them.

i wonder what you are really trying to say

no go at my local OM for multiple transactions. They are adamant on 1 per customer per day limit. Worst of all this OM is 30 miles from my home.

In case you didn't know this deal continues for the coming week. Now good luck finding those $200 cards.

No OfficeMax in North Jersey or 50 miles of me, that sux.

even in South East PA, no luck with that.

i went to cottagegrove and bought 2k worth, leaving about 2k behind, then went back the next day to get more and someone already cleaned the remaining ones out lol.

Paid for the next round trip overseas.

In my local area one store had some $200 Visa GCs left today. The other was sold out.

crhptic said:   In my local area one store had some $200 Visa GCs left today. The other was sold out.In my neck of the woods, the trees were growing taller than usual.

Mailman said:   I used to get these back when you could still cash out MaxPerks by buying gift cards. There are a few extra quirks with the Gift Card Mall Visas that are worth being aware of:

Authorizations are sometimes larger than the amount actually charged for no apparent reason (not just at restaurants where this is standard practice). If I paid $10 towards my Sprint bill the Gift Card Mall Visa would show a pending authorization of $11 or $12. This was irritating since with other prepaid Visa cards I'd usually zero them out by paying their remaining balance on my Sprint bill. I couldn't do this with Gift Card Mall unless I wanted to leave a small balance on the card!

They also arbitrarily deny transactions from certain merchants. I can't remember which merchant it was, but it was a common US company with nothing out of the ordinary. After the transaction was declined I called customer service for the card and was told that they don't allow transactions within whatever category that merchant was setup.

Those were the only problems I ran into, but keep the first point in mind if you go ahead with this deal. Would be a shame to "make" $10, only to negate the benefit by inadvertently leaving a balance on any of these cards.

There are several merchants I am aware of where it's easy to zero out the card - their registers can check the available balance and authorize that amount on a purchase for that amount or larger. Places I know you can do this are: Walgreens, Staples, Target, Kroger, and 7-11.

crhptic said:   Mailman said:   I used to get these back when you could still cash out MaxPerks by buying gift cards. There are a few extra quirks with the Gift Card Mall Visas that are worth being aware of:

There are several merchants I am aware of where it's easy to zero out the card - their registers can check the available balance and authorize that amount on a purchase for that amount or larger. Places I know you can do this are: Walgreens, Staples, Target, Kroger, and 7-11.

Add Winn Dixie, CVS and Taco Bell to that list (where you can zero out Visa/Mastercard/AMEX prepaid cards)

Pretty much all the grocery stores, but not Pathmark and it's sisters (SuperFresh, Waldbaum's ....).

When does this promo end? And for those with Serve accounts can this be loaded to the account or will it be rejected the way all prepaid cards are?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014