• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
LiveMocha is a free attempt to replicate Rosetta Stone. Today they are selling the actual Rosetta Stone for the language of your choice (unrelated to your LiveMocha signup). No discount for downloading over standard shipping.

LiveMocha members, check your email in case the links are personalized. I assume the link and discount will work for non-LiveMocha members, but if it doesn't, the site is free to join.
http://www.rosettastone.com/lp/livemochas5us2/

The URL indicates it is part of the June 12 campaign, but I don't know when it expires.

Of course the hardcore FW way is to use the free service exclusively. But as the promotional email points out, they can be used to compliment one another.

Edit: spelling, brevity.

Member Summary

Rosetta Stone 1-5
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
If you don't know the language, how can you know? Perhaps they are accurate and faithful translations!

SelfGovern (Jun. 18, 2013 @ 3:14p) |

Unfortunately the Deal Expired on June 17th.... I was too late.

JCM2013 (Jun. 19, 2013 @ 10:09a) |

JCM2013,

It LOOKS like you missed it, but you didn't really. The page is still up, and they still honor it (I ordered ton... (more)

jaidex (Jun. 23, 2013 @ 12:40a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Thanks OP!

Worked like a charm. In for Spanish for Latin America.

Worked for Mandarin chinese. Thanks!

Not available for Japanese. Sigh.

Here are the languages offered:

Chinese Mandarin
English American
English British
French
German
Italian
Russian
Spanish Latin America
Spanish Spain

Other languages are "on sale" for $349 for Father's Day. I need to start learning Japanese for work, so I may have to take them up on it.

Are these courses really effective?

Worked just fine for non-LiveMocha members. Thanks OP!

Is this product worth it?

In looking at their website, the online version is $239 for 12 months
Assuming you were willing to focus and complete in a year this looks like a better deal

caramelito said:   Are these courses really effective?

The standard price-points offer a six month money back guarantee... not clear if the $199 offer includes that guarantee as well.

YMMV. Some swear by then, but if they were a silver bullet, everyone would be using it. It's going to boil down to discipline and expectations. Real-world experience is essential to being real-world fluent.

Hot deal.....finally pulled the trigger!

Just for reference, how much was this when it was posted a few weeks ago? And how much for the student version?

Rosetta Stone is the most well known app to learn other languages, and it's usually listed around $400. Based on Amazon history, Spanish is currently at $325 but usually fluctuates between around $370 to $470. This is a good deal on the program if you're looking to pick it up.

That said, I'd try a free program first. Most people decide to learn a language, drop $$$ on Rosetta Stone, and then end up giving up after the first few lessons. My girlfriend has been using duolingo to learn Spanish and it has been really effective for her. The site is free because they make money by crowd-sourcing translation, so while you're doing the test lessons, you're also translating things.

Is there a good app for cantonese? I still can't believe Rosetta Stone doesn't offer it, with Cantonese being the dominant chinese language used in the US anyway.

I'm a member of a couple of Toastmasters clubs. We often get people who have learned English in another country (or here, but it was not their native tongue).

Is there a program or online course you would recommend to help with accent reduction?

Missed the Amazon one a few weeks ago. $199 seems like the best deal I have seen. Even Groupon had it on sale the other day for more.

Thanks OP.

In for 1.

My sister tried the Japanese version of it and really was not impressed. Lang-8 and other free websites and certain books were more helpful. Also just finding people on Twitter and such with similar likes that you could talk with helps as well.

asuka said:   Not available for Japanese. Sigh.

Chinese Mandarin
English American
English British
French
German
Italian
Russian
Spanish Latin America
Spanish Spain

Other languages are "on sale" for $349 for Father's Day. I need to start learning Japanese for work, so I may have to take them up on it.

They are sending me emails offering the Greek course for $199. May be targeted, but may be worth a phone call if you want to try for a different language.

I honestly think its great and a local Catholic school here touted their early language Spanish program. When I toured the school, guess who was teaching Spanish to the kids? Prof. Rosetta Stone! Can you believe it?

satchelsofgold said:   asuka said:   Not available for Japanese. Sigh.

Chinese Mandarin
English American
English British
French
German
Italian
Russian
Spanish Latin America
Spanish Spain

They are sending me emails offering the Greek course for $199. May be targeted, but may be worth a phone call if you want to try for a different language.

Yeah, the one they mentioned in my promotional email was not on the list. I called and they said that they can apply it to other languages, too, but that only the 5-level languages are in the list online.
tldr; in order to purchase a non-5-level language with this promotion, you have to purchase over the phone (i.e. without Cash Back)

looks like a totally hot deal
I can get get Mandarin and learn. WIll come in handy when I'm watching my kung fu flicks where I won't have to rely on subtitles (the English dub versions can be quite terrible)

russ0519 said:   Is there a good app for cantonese? I still can't believe Rosetta Stone doesn't offer it, with Cantonese being the dominant chinese language used in the US anyway.

Not really, Cantonese is only dominant in the older Chinatown area, such as in NYC, San Fran, etc. Elsewhere, Mandarin is more common. Unless you plan to do business in Hong Kong area, I wouldn't bother with Cantonese.

thedbn said:   <snippage> (the English dub versions can be quite terrible)
If you don't know the language, how can you know? Perhaps they are accurate and faithful translations!

Unfortunately the Deal Expired on June 17th.... I was too late.

JCM2013,

It LOOKS like you missed it, but you didn't really. The page is still up, and they still honor it (I ordered tonight).

You have to call the number at the top of the page and tell them you're calling about the "Special Offer from LiveMocha".

They will ASK YOU what the price is (they aren't allowed to tell you), I would recommend you have the page up when you call.

Just in case you don't have it, here is the page address:

http://www.rosettastone.com/lp/livemochas5us2/

Good Luck!

Jaidex

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.