• 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Dell Inspiron i15RV-477B - $279.99 ***EDIT: NOW $279.99***

or its slightly bigger brother

Dell Inspiron i15RV-6190 - $299.99 ***EDIT: NOW $299.99***
(thanks to 'forzaINTER' for the find)

Both of these laptops are basically the same model except for the CPU & the hard drive. They are also some of the best deals I've seen since last years Holiday sales (the $289.99 one admittedly a slightly better deal). They are not rockets (although the $289.99 one is a bit faster), but for the average user they both will do just fine, besides I'm sure they will feel like a rocket compared to that old XP machine you've been nursing along. Bought a couple of these for clients with basic needs and they love them. Especially since I set them up with a little program called Start8 that works flawlessly & allows you to bypass the whole 'Metro" thing. At this price & Start8, there is no reason to keep suffering with a slow PC.

Start8 Link

Best Buy Link to $279.99 Laptop
Best Buy Link to $299.99 Laptop

Specs ($269.99):
-Intel Celeron processor 1007U(1.5GHz)
-4GB DDR3 memory (expandable to 8GB)
-DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
-15.6" WLED high-definition display
-320GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
-Intel HD graphics
-Built-in Native HD 1.0MP webcam with digital microphone
-8-in-1 media reader
-2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports
-Ethernet LAN & Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
-Bluetooth 4.0 interface
-Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit

Specs ($289.99):
-Intel Pentium processor 2117U(1.8GHz)
-4GB DDR3 memory (expandable to 8GB)
-DVD±RW/CD-RW drive
-15.6" WLED high-definition display
-500GB hard drive (5400 rpm)
-Intel HD graphics
-Built-in Native HD 1.0MP webcam with digital microphone
-8-in-1 media reader
-2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports
-Ethernet LAN & Wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
-Bluetooth 4.0 interface
-Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit

Don't forget the FatWallet 1.5% rebate for Best Buy.

Member Summary

Inspiron i15RV-477B
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I actually think the deal in the link below is the hottest at the moment (Dell vs. Toshiba discussion aside)
FW Forum Top... (more)

TheNastySheriff (Jul. 27, 2013 @ 9:34p) |

Dell - Inspiron 15.6" Laptop - 4GB Memory - 320GB Hard Drive - Black
$279.99
Free Shipping

DaysFan (Jul. 28, 2013 @ 12:36p) |

In for another one! Thank you for the updates!

nycdart25 (Jul. 28, 2013 @ 2:10p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Dell
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

This is at least a dual core Celeron.

Yeah, I was a bit surprised at the speed the thing scooted along.

Here's a list of comparable CPU's:

Midrange CPU Benchmarks

You can find this laptop's CPU (Intel Celeron 1007U) @ 1434.

You can use ClassicShell for free, don't need to buy Start8. Been using that and shared it with all my friends who are on Windows 8 too.
$299 new laptops can be found pretty often (at Staples, generally) but $269 is a pretty good price for a new laptop.

Chose Start8 over ClassicShell at first because I found Start8 to be more worry free (for clients), but just took another look at ClassicShell & it looks pretty good & solid now.
May have to reconsider....although $4.99 doesn't break the bank either, but this is FatWallet & every dollar counts.

For those interested in ClassicShell:
ClassicShell Link

Thanks to 'pitflyer' for the ClassicShell heads-up.

Cheap enough to finally give Windows 8 a whirl to see if I like.

celeron => no good.

Too slow. Core i3 haswell or Core i5 ivybridge is the minimal these days.
Most tables are faster than celeron.

fatxman said:   celeron => no good.

My guess is you haven't used a Celeron in about ten years. I have several dual core Celerons that are based on Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge and for basic use they are just fine.

Thanks OP! Just in time. Toddler just spilled water on the wife's laptop...

ahallfatwallett said:   fatxman said:   celeron => no good.

My guess is you haven't used a Celeron in about ten years. I have several dual core Celerons that are based on Ivy Bridge or Sandy Bridge and for basic use they are just fine.

It makes me wonder why Intel hasn't abandoned the "Celeron" name and invented something else for these chips. Just that word turns off a whole bunch of people w/o, in many cases, a valid reason.

Minimal for who?

Choosing the right computer is all about matching a persons computing needs with a their budget. Obviously, this laptop is not for the more advanced users out there, but I think most advanced users are well aware of this. However, I have many clients on a strict budget still nursing along Windows XP machines that are 100 times slower than this laptop.

Do I tout this as the best computer they can buy? No, of course not. But I do tell them this is a great deal considering their computer usage & budget. If speed was the only variable in the equation, then my job of advising clients would be much easier. My responsibility as the trusted "computer guy" (and as a FW poster) is to make the best judgement based on all variables.

How are these dual core celerons when it comes to running streaming videos like YouTube hd?

joselito80 said:   How are these dual core celerons when it comes to running streaming videos like YouTube hd?

With the exception of gamers, 90% of society can't/won't overwork a Celeron processor. Most people are talked/suckered into pricier laptops they don't need. Don't fall for the marketing hype.

Disclaimer: posted by someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

ZombieHunter said:   joselito80 said:   How are these dual core celerons when it comes to running streaming videos like YouTube hd?

90% of society can't/won't overwork a Celeron processor. Most people are talked/suckered into pricier laptops they don't need. Don't fall for the marketing hype.

Are you saying that it should be able to handle 1080p video from YouTube?

joselito80 said:   ZombieHunter said:   joselito80 said:   How are these dual core celerons when it comes to running streaming videos like YouTube hd?

90% of society can't/won't overwork a Celeron processor. Most people are talked/suckered into pricier laptops they don't need. Don't fall for the marketing hype.

Well, the processor is capable, but the screen is only capable of 720p. It is 1366 x 768 resolution. You can't go any higher than the resolution of the screen. if you watch a 1080p video, it will be downgraded to 720p.

ZombieHunter said:   joselito80 said:   

Well, the processor is capable, but the screen is only capable of 720p. It is 1366 x 768 resolution. You can't go any higher than the resolution of the screen. if you watch a 1080p video, it will be downgraded to 720p.

But it could be plugged into a 1080p monitor via HDMI. Would the video card support 1080p resolution? I'm guessing it would.

The CPU could no doubt handle 1080p video easily. However, with integrated graphics? Not sure about the performance, though as of Sandy Bridge, integrated graphics with Intel CPUs offer much better performance than past generations. Perhaps it would be fine. But I doubt an i3 would really be much better.

I'm not used to seeing all this green for Celeron. Hmmm.

Well, how about this laptop at Best Buy?
Dell I15RV-6190 Laptop, Internet Security Software, Sleeve, Mouse & Flash Drive Package $289.99 with free shipping.

Intel Pentium Processor 2117U (2M Cache, 1.8 GHz)
4 GB DDR3 RAM
500 GB 5400 rpm Hard Drive
15.6-Inch Screen; Windows 8

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+I15RV-6190+Laptop%2C+Internet+S...

anonguy said:   It makes me wonder why Intel hasn't abandoned the "Celeron" name and invented something else for these chips. Just that word turns off a whole bunch of people w/o, in many cases, a valid reason.

Intel has established the name "Celeron" as a budget CPU with less performance. They NEED some people to think of it as slow - otherwise, why would anyone buy a laptop with an i3 or an i5? Not to say an i5 wouldn't offer better performance than the Celeron, but CPU performance is all relative. Today's Celeron is much faster than Celeron of ten years ago, but then again, today's i5 is much faster than the Pentium 4 from ten years ago as well.

Ten years ago, people were making the same buying decisions they still make when buying a laptop. People for whom budget is their primary constraint have always put cost ahead of performance. People who can afford a little more will need some incentive to buy a more expensive laptop. A slightly faster CPU plus larger HD, more RAM, better sound, etc. are all bundled together at higher price points to offer these incentives, just like car options for the same model.

I guess you could say there are TOO many CPU performance levels today. Speaking only of Intel: Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5, i7...plus, there are different variations of the top three. I don't know why they want so many - seems to confusing even to me. But you definitely want a "slow but cheap" option and Celeron is still it.

ZombieHunter said:   
With the exception of gamers, 90% of society can't/won't overwork a Celeron processor. Most people are talked/suckered into pricier laptops they don't need. Don't fall for the marketing hype.

Not sure if I would go as far as 90%, but I would agree with the general gist of the comment.

Regarding YouTube, I don't even use the 1080p setting 99% of the time (720p or lower is just fine with me) & I have an i7-950 @ 3.07GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX480, & Time Warner Roadrunner Turbo. Many folks don't even have the bandwidth to handle streaming 1080p, not to mention most videos on YouTube are not even shot at 1080p quality.

I think we can all agree that this laptop will not win any speed trials, but categorically calling this machine too slow is just not accurate. It's a great deal & a fine laptop for most normal users.

forzaINTER said:   I'm not used to seeing all this green for Celeron. Hmmm.

Dell I15RV-6190 Laptop, Internet Security Software, Sleeve, Mouse & Flash Drive Package $289.99 with free shipping.

4 GB DDR3 RAM

If you look up the CPU performance on cpubenchmark.net the Celeron CPU mark is 1434 and the Pentium is 1921 - so maybe about 25% faster (those are benchmarks - that doesn't mean in real life the Pentium is always 25% faster. Most users may not notice any difference). The only other difference I noticed is a slightly larger hard drive. Is that worth $30 more? Up to you. If you are thinking about say upgrading the hard drive to an SSD someday anyway, maybe the hard drive suze is irrelevant.

forzaINTER said:   I'm not used to seeing all this green for Celeron. Hmmm.

4 GB DDR3 RAM

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+I15RV-6190+Laptop%2C+Internet+S...

The Pentium 2117U actually has a better Passmark benchmark rating than the Celeron:
Pentium 2117U = 1921
Celeron 1007U = 1434

Not a bad find either.

EDIT: DANG! This thread is moving faster than I can type. lol 'ahallfatwallett' beat me to it below.

Speaking only of Intel: Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5, i7...plus, there are different variations of the top three. I don't know why they want so many - seems to confusing even to me. But you definitely want a "slow but cheap" option and Celeron is still it.

Not to mention there are different frequencies for each of these and there have been 4 generations of each. Nehalem, Sandy Bridge, Ivy Brigde and the current, Haswell.

ahallfatwallett said:   forzaINTER said:   I'm not used to seeing all this green for Celeron. Hmmm.

4 GB DDR3 RAM

If you look up the CPU performance on cpubenchmark.net the Celeron CPU mark is 1434 and the Pentium is 1921 - so maybe about 25% faster (those are benchmarks - that doesn't mean in real life the Pentium is always 25% faster. Most users may not notice any difference). The only other difference I noticed is a slightly larger hard drive. Is that worth $30 more? Up to you. If you are thinking about say upgrading the hard drive to an SSD someday anyway, maybe the hard drive suze is irrelevant.

So you are saying the one I posted is 25% faster?, has a bigger hard drive, is $20 more, and you get free stuff with it?
Like I said, that seems like a lot of green for this $269.99 laptop he posted.

TheNastySheriff said:   ZombieHunter said:   

Not sure if I would go as far as 90%, but I would agree with the general gist of the comment.

Regarding YouTube, I don't even use the 1080p setting 99% of the time (720p or lower is just fine with me) & I have an i7-950 @ 3.07GHz, 24GB RAM, GTX480, & Time Warner Roadrunner Turbo. Many folks don't even have the bandwidth to handle streaming 1080p, not to mention most videos on YouTube are not even shot at 1080p quality.

I think we can all agree that this laptop will not win any speed trials, but categorically calling this machine too slow is just not accurate. It's a great deal & a fine laptop for most normal users.

Well said.

Here is an i3 ASUS bundle for $289 from BB
(2nd Gen Intel Core i3-2370M dual-core CPU at 2.4GHz)

includes: Laptop, Case, Wireless Mouse, 8gb flash drive.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ASUS+X55C-SI30301N+Laptop%2C+Interne...

ZombieHunter said:   Here is an i3 ASUS bundle for $289 from BB

I thought this one was out of stock since last week?

forzaINTER said:   ZombieHunter said:   Here is an i3 ASUS bundle for $289 from BB

Yeah, still out of stock.

Shipping: Not Available

Store Pickup: Not Available

forzaINTER said:   forzaINTER said:   ZombieHunter said:   Here is an i3 ASUS bundle for $289 from BB

Shows in stock for me for delivery. YMMV, I guess depending on area.

ZombieHunter said:   forzaINTER said:   forzaINTER said:   ZombieHunter said:   Here is an i3 ASUS bundle for $289 from BB

Shows in stock for me for delivery. YMMV, I guess depending on area.

How?
I clicked his link and it says the following:

All things considered, is the $289.00 one a better choice than the $269.00 one? I am looking for a basic laptop for e-mail, Internet surfing, possibly to play some DVDs. My little HP one -- from 2008, with a 10-inch screen -- that I purchased used last summer from a friend for $100.00 is running VERY slowly. It has 1GB of RAM. Sometimes it can take ten minutes to load a page on Internet Explorer.

I am reluctant to spend the money on a new one, and I am also considering purchasing additional RAM and adding it. The computer can go to 2GB, so I would need to purchase 2GB. I don't know whether I should spend the money to try this (which would be cheaper than purchasing a new one), or give up and purchase a new one. In which case, which of these two Dells would likely be a better choice?

Thanks OP -- in for one of the $269 Dell's. My old Acer has lost use of it's USB ports and has been basically dying over the last few months. Free pick up in store a big plus!

ljw394 said:   All things considered, is the $289.00 one a better choice than the $269.00 one? I am looking for a basic laptop for e-mail, Internet surfing, possibly to play some DVDs. My little HP one -- from 2008, with a 10-inch screen -- that I purchased used last summer from a friend for $100.00, is running VERY slowly. It has 1GB of RAM. Sometimes it can take ten minutes to load a page on Internet Explorer.

I am reluctant to spend the money on a new one, and I am also considering purchasing addition RAM and adding it. The computer can go to 2GB, so I would need to purchase 2GB. I don't know whether I should spend the money to try this (which would be cheaper than purchasing a new one), or give up and purchase a new one. In which case, which of these two Dells would likely be a better choice?

Get rid of yours.

The $289 one is Slightly better than the $269 one for only $20 more, but you are getting a better processor, wireless mouse, case, and flash drive. worth it in my opinion.

Thanks, ZombieHunter. In retrospect, the $100.00 for the used one seemed like a good idea, but it wasn't running this slowly when I purchased it. I don't know what has caused that to happen, and I am reluctant to spend any more money on it. I was tempted to try purchasing the extra RAM, though, because it's cheaper than purchasing a new computer, and I am very cost-conscious.

I'm going to go to BB today and take a look at the $289.00 one. (I'd also have to learn Windows 8 with that, but I guess I'd figure it out.)

Thanks again.

ZombieHunter said:   ljw394 said:   All things considered, is the $289.00 one a better choice than the $269.00 one? I am looking for a basic laptop for e-mail, Internet surfing, possibly to play some DVDs. My little HP one -- from 2008, with a 10-inch screen -- that I purchased used last summer from a friend for $100.00, is running VERY slowly. It has 1GB of RAM. Sometimes it can take ten minutes to load a page on Internet Explorer.

I am reluctant to spend the money on a new one, and I am also considering purchasing addition RAM and adding it. The computer can go to 2GB, so I would need to purchase 2GB. I don't know whether I should spend the money to try this (which would be cheaper than purchasing a new one), or give up and purchase a new one. In which case, which of these two Dells would likely be a better choice?

Get rid of yours.

The $289 one is Slightly better than the $269 one for only $20 more, but you are getting a better processor, wireless mouse, case, and flash drive. worth it in my opinion.

I agree with 'ZombieHunter'. The $289 laptop is a slightly better deal. The slightly faster CPU, slightly bigger hard drive, and the extra goodies make the extra $20 worth it (although the goodies for me really don't add much).

Also, regarding your old laptop, I wouldn't recommend spending any more money on upgrading/fixing it. Fixing, building, supporting computers/clients is what I do for a living, and my best advice often times is don't bother fixing/upgrading an old PC. I know I'm talking myself out of a service call many times, but in the long run it's the right thing to do, and it builds my reputation as the "trusted computer guy" of the area and hence gets me more referrals.

Additionally, my experience with clients that call me saying their computer is running so slow is that 95% of the time they have a virus. They then tell me 95% of the time: "but I have (fill-in overpriced brand name antivirus)". I then say, it really doesn't matter what AV you have, today's viruses just go right by pretty much all of them anyway. That's another reason I don't recommend my clients to go out and spend $69.99 a year on a AV suite like Norton 360 or Kaspersky Pure, or the like. Not that those products are that terrible, it's just that there are very good free alternatives out there that do just as good a job & will most likely bog your system down a lot less. However, If someone is not comfortable downloading & installing free AV's then the AV suites are fine. Again, there is a product to suit every need. The task is to properly match the right product with the right person. You will find many people will disagree with what I have said, but that's my humble professional opinion. Good luck.

Thanks, Nasty Sheriff.

I use the free AVG anti-virus product. It's not showing that I have any viruses.

I've been doing some online reading about whether adding RAM is worth it. It would cost about $35.00, I think. One of the sites I looked at demonstrated how to check Task Manager to see if I am using close to my limit of RAM with the 1GB. It looks like I am, if I'm understanding it correctly.

$289.00 is a lot for me to spend, since my principal computer is my desktop, and the mini-laptop that I bought used for $100.00 was meant to be one I only used occasionally, which is why I thought $100.00 was a reasonable amount to spend. However, I am finding that I enjoy using the laptop more than I thought I would, and it is handy for things when I don't want to spend time sitting at my computer at my desk.

I'm kind of regretting having spent the $100.00 on the used one, but I would have to tell myself that I used it for a year, which is less than $10.00 per month for its use.

Since I don't appear to have any viruses, I guess my options are to spend the $35.00 and try adding RAM to the old one, or really splurging on the new $289.00 one. For a cost-conscious person like me, that's a big deal.

I really appreciate your expert advice. I'm going to go to BB today and look at the the $289.00 and then think about it and decide -- should I go for it???

Thanks for sharing so much valuable information!

ljw394 said:   My little HP one -- from 2008, with a 10-inch screen -- that I purchased used last summer from a friend for $100.00 is running VERY slowly. It has 1GB of RAM. Sometimes it can take ten minutes to load a page on Internet Explorer.

It's likely to run much faster if you reinstall Windows, and faster yet if you max out the RAM. If you received an installation disk with it, or if your friend can find the disk, the reinstallation should be easy. If you carry your little netbook around a lot, you may regret buying something bigger and heavier.

When I visit Staples, they seem to always have a pile of vouchers at the register, offering a free "PC tune-up". Since you're strongly considering getting rid of your netbook, it may be a good idea to try that service (remove any naked pictures of yourself/mate first). You can resist the inevitable up-sell, right?

About the antivirus, Microsoft Security Essentials is free "forever" so long as you have a legit copy of Windows. You might also try Malwarebytes; there was a good deal on it posted yesterday, or there's a lesser version that's always free.

Taurus and Crown Victoria => no good. Too slow. Mercury Sable or Mercury Marquis is the minimal these days.

You might also try a different anti-virus since each one covers somewhat different viruses.
I had Norton AV 6 years ago and had similar slowing of a PC.
I figured Norton was doing this since Norton has a reputation for bogging down your system.

I took Norton off and put Kaspersky AV on and immediately found the virus that was bogging down my PC.

Recenty my PC was slowing down alot.
Kaspersky really was slowing my system since it checks with Russia everytime you load a web page or open an app on your PC.
I took Kaspersky off and put Panda on and immedately found the bad virus.
Then I took Panda off and put AVG on and it immedately found another virus!

So each program has its own strengths and weaknesses!
But you can only have one program on your PC at a time, since they conflict with each other.

So switching AV every other year might be a good choice.
You can get most of the big name AV free after rebate almost any day of the week. These deals are right here on fatwallet right now and every day.

TheNastySheriff said:   Minimal for who?

Choosing the right computer is all about matching a persons computing needs with a their budget. Obviously, this laptop is not for the more advanced users out there, but I think most advanced users are well aware of this. However, I have many clients on a strict budget still nursing along Windows XP machines that are 100 times slower than this laptop.

Do I tout this as the best computer they can buy? No, of course not. But I do tell them this is a great deal considering their computer usage & budget. If speed was the only variable in the equation, then my job of advising clients would be much easier. My responsibility as the trusted "computer guy" (and as a FW poster) is to make the best judgement based on all variables.

Agreed completely from pretty much the same situation. It's all about performance per dollar and fitting a persons needs with the proper equipment. I'd say 90% of users (and even myself aside from encoding blu-ray on my desktop) would find there is plenty of power in these lower end laptops to do nearly everything you will ever need. People are way to often oversold by B&M salesmen who tell them of all the stuff they need but actually will never really use.

Great deal on a Dell, heck at these prices I'll snag anything that is not HP!

Skipping 56 Messages...
In for another one! Thank you for the updates!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014