• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Today (7/4) only use code "EMCXNXS99" for $10 off the OBI100, bringing it down to $29.99 with free shipping at Newegg.

Member Summary

Obihai OBI100
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Good to know, Tks!
Wish the code worked for OBI-110, but still in for one. Good deal.

calvin888 (Jul. 05, 2013 @ 1:41a) |

If you already have your Android device, and you feel comfortable carrying it around the house and keeping it charged, a... (more)

filmy (Jul. 05, 2013 @ 1:09p) |

I've been using this w/Google Voice for prob 2 years like a 2nd landline (as a VZ retiree I have a free copper fed phone... (more)

galvodog10 (Jul. 05, 2013 @ 2:30p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

in 4 one!

Missed out on the Fathers Day sale, so jumping at this one!

Thanks, OP.

How does this differ from MagicJack Plus? MJ charges $20 or so per year.

I've got the ooma, was going to grab another for the other house, but this is cheaper... How does it compare? Is the savings worth it?

yugpatel said:   How does this differ from MagicJack Plus? MJ charges $20 or so per year.
I think, not 100% sure, this hardware device allows you to access a google voice number thru your house phone. Google voice is free for now ... so its $20 cheaper than magic jack.

I have it with 30mb/sec down. It works okay. Sometimes people say they can't hear me. I am pretty sure its this device. I never had a problem with landline

If you use Google Voice this is free. Plus I've rarely had a problem with Google Voice. Granted, one never knows when Google will discontinue, or start to charge, Voice, but it is once again free for the rest of this year. But even if Google does pull the plug, there are a variety of services you can use with an Obi.

yugpatel said:   How does this differ from MagicJack Plus? MJ charges $20 or so per year.
MJ serv is $30/yr + tax. This is free if used with Google Voice.

This is the lowest price I've seen for the 100. Been using one with GVoice for over 6 months and works great. Voice quality is on par with other voip landlines I've used such as comcast, phonepower, etc.

Am in the midst of porting a home number from phonepower to GVoice via pagepluscellular. When done, I'll hook up another obi100 to GV and keep the existing home number.

This might be the only truly free home phone service available, no monthly taxes like the ooma or yearly fee like MJack.

I have one of these and it's worked quite well for over a year - never had to reboot/reset it in over a year.

NOTE: if you use the Talkatone app so you can use your GV on your smartphone/tablet without using cell minutes, the OBI device won't ring for incoming calls. Also, I noticed periodically people couldn't hear me after several minutes after I installed Talkatone on my iPad. Once I took Talkatone back off, everything is working fine again (the incompatibility with Talkatone, at least the ringing part, is documented in the OBI support Q&A).

Per the support document, GrooveIP has the same issue...

If you use the "official" GV app on your smartphone/tablet, everything works fine (but calls will once again use cell minutes and not data).

therugsucker said:   This is the lowest price I've seen for the 100. Been using one with GVoice for over 6 months and works great. Voice quality is on par with other voip landlines I've used such as comcast, phonepower, etc.

Am in the midst of porting a home number from phonepower to GVoice via pagepluscellular. When done, I'll hook up another obi100 to GV and keep the existing home number.

This might be the only truly free home phone service available, no monthly taxes like the ooma or yearly fee like MJack.

For home service, this is the cheapest way possible to go.

I have one of these and am perfectly happy with it. Call quality is fine. You can pair it with your Google Voice account, which as others have stated, is free for US/Canada calls until they decide to start charging.

A few things it does that some will find helpful:

-You can call between two OBI devices for free and without signing up for Google Voice or other VOIP services. This is great if you have friends or family overseas. If all parties get an OBI, you can call each other for free regardless of which country. You can take it with you if you travel a lot without having to change your number.

-OBI provides an app for your mobile phone that will let you connect to your OBI and make calls. So basically, you can be anywhere in the world with a wi-fi connection, use the app to connect to the OBI and make a stateside call for free without using your cell plan minutes.

in for 1

In for one as well, thanks!

my neighbor has interest in this, thanks op.

Work in India?

In41 thanks OP!

Use Free and low-cost VoIP services to lower your phone bills...Maybe to NOTHING!
Seduce me

pizzatriangle said:   I've got the ooma, was going to grab another for the other house, but this is cheaper... How does it compare? Is the savings worth it?

My Ooma Telo can't hear touch tones, which is a blocker when you're trying to do anything with automated systems. The call quality on the OBI with GV seems better than the Ooma's too. And my fax machine seems to work with the Obi/GV combo; I could never send or receive faxes on the Ooma.

As always, ymmv. I still have my ooma plugged in, though it's a tertiary line at this point.

I have an Ooma Hub (free before the taxes went into effect). Also have GV/Obi. I use the Obi 99.9% of the time, keep Ooma around for 911.

Google Voice and this is a really beautiful thing. Pair the Obi with an Ooma Hub to a 5-handset Panasonic 2-line cordless phone system, and you have free, 911-enabled phones throughout your house. And GV rings whatever lines (cell, work, etc) I want it to.

I don't know why everyone in the US doesn't port their number to GV immediately. It's amazing. No MMS on your mobile but hey, it's 2013!

Manny,
I had Ooma hub and the same problem. I spent countless days with Ooma tech support and they could not get it to work. I even purchased another Ooma hub via a fatwallet Radio Shack deal and still had the same problem. All my troubles went away once I purchased an Obi.
I think the price is fair but definately not a hd.

Oh, if your Obi stops ringing, delete the google talk in GV settings then re-add google talk using new device.

Honestly, is this any better than an Android device connected via WiFi and running GrooveIP or something similar?

er3456 said:   A few things it does that some will find helpful:

-You can call between two OBI devices for free and without signing up for Google Voice or other VOIP services. This is great if you have friends or family overseas. If all parties get an OBI, you can call each other for free regardless of which country. You can take it with you if you travel a lot without having to change your number.

-OBI provides an app for your mobile phone that will let you connect to your OBI and make calls. So basically, you can be anywhere in the world with a wi-fi connection, use the app to connect to the OBI and make a stateside call for free without using your cell plan minutes.
Good to know, Tks!
Wish the code worked for OBI-110, but still in for one. Good deal.

U.S. President George W. Bush speaks to Mexican President Vicente Fox
Disclaimer
hpmax said:   Honestly, is this any better than an Android device connected via WiFi and running GrooveIP or something similar?

If you already have your Android device, and you feel comfortable carrying it around the house and keeping it charged, and if talking on it won't interfere with your Web browsing or Angry Birds sessions, this isn't for you. But if you know someone who still uses analog telephones and isn't very tech-savvy (or just prefers the old ways), you could lower their phone bills dramatically with an OBI ATA and a VOIP service, without taking them too far out of their comfort zone--and, I'd expect, with fewer tech-support questions directed your way.

I've been using this w/Google Voice for prob 2 years like a 2nd landline (as a VZ retiree I have a free copper fed phone for life) and it works great..well worth the price

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014