• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

1Sale.com
See 1Sale.com discounts that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Alfa Super Wi- Fi Extender 1000mW 802.11b/g USB WiFi Network Adapter
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Alfa
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Rarely see this on sale, good deal; thanks OP.

arg just bought this for 20...sheesh

billtmore said:   arg just bought this for 20...sheesh

Considering the site you probably got the better deal.
Anyone know if this site improved any over the last year?

i dont know why it's called an extender? what i want is a more powerful wifi router!gonna try it to see if any free signals in my area. then i can cancel cable!i think i read somewhere reviews where these had problems like quitting after a yr or less or just DOA. prolly gets hot since high output! course high output DONT = high GAIN!

I have this Alfa Wi-Fi adapter. It definitely can see many more networks than my internal wifi card. Of course seeing a network and being able to reliably communicate with a network from 50 to 100 yards can be a challenge. I paid over $30 for this at 1 Sale a day last year.

I also got this over a year ago. Its definitely have a better range then the standard built-in wifi.

Have no idea if it will work for me but for 15 bucks...what the heck. In for 1. Thanks OP!

When I use this is it totally transparent? Meaning all I see is stronger networks, including my own? It's not like it gets its own SSID? I think I have a wired secondary access point in storage where you had to configure it as a secondary SSID / network. And then it was kind of a pain to have to choose which network in the house had the better signal depending where I was.

Bagofchips said:   When I use this is it totally transparent? Meaning all I see is stronger networks, including my own? It's not like it gets its own SSID? I think I have a wired secondary access point in storage where you had to configure it as a secondary SSID / network. And then it was kind of a pain to have to choose which network in the house had the better signal depending where I was.

This is only a WiFi dongle that is used to access an existing network. It is not a router or a Bridge (extender) like the WD one discussed on FatWallet in the past...

http://www.amazon.com/Net-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-universal/dp/B009...

Think of it as a stronger, more sensitive replacement for your built in wifi card that is in your laptop. When Alfa is using the term "extender" they only mean that what ever computer you plug the antenna into, you can access a network from a farther distance.

A real wireless network range extender like the one I posted a link to will rebroadcast your wifi signal through out your building or house so that you can access it everywhere, eliminating dead spots.

IEEE 802.11g/b, WPA/WPA2 compliant, attachable antenna

Only g/b not n

keep in mind no n

Probably obvious, but:

this is an adaptor, to be used with a single computer, rather than a repeater that picks up and rebroadcasts a signal. I would not call it a range extender.

not sure until I try it..but instead of plugging this directly into the laptop, I am under the impression I could use a USB will plug converter and plug this gizmo halfway between the router and where I use my laptop and just set it on the end table...does that make sense? it seems like everyone is posting that this is not its function

10 print "let me repeat",
20 print "this is not a repeater",
30 goto 10

You are just reiterating the Basic... lol... Pun intended...... Man, I crack myself up ..... OK, I will shut up now.
GeorgeT said:   10 print "let me repeat",
20 print "this is not a repeater",
30 goto 10

To understand recursion, one must first understand recursion...

Man, this site should be called Skinny Wallet! I'm in for one...

Geeks.com has a 300N 1W adapter for $30 or so.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014