• Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Member Summary

SmarTech HD Portable Car Dash Camera
Thanks Funnyman1026
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Looks nice at first glance, but company seems to have vanished, or gone belly-up.

Can't find a single review.

Looks like it requires mounting over the rear-view mirror, illegal in CA for consumers. Even if a cop is unlikely to write it up, better to air on the safe side with a dashboard or corner-mounted cam.

used to have one of those. The LCD does not have to be open, so it can be mounted pretty much anywhere. The biggest problem with mine was that it would not start reusing SD-card once it is full, so i had to catch the moment and format it every time. Actually missed an accident that wasn't my fault (red light vs green light) but ended upi 50/50 because no proof. The original problem may have been fixed by the software by now.

If you really want a good reliable good car DVR buy one of those:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1FJ0HU4371

From the reviews on Amazon:

"...I was truly disappointed with this product even though I knew that it was only 20 bucks. I was determined to have a car cam and did much research but I could not find anything with good quality video in my price range. So after much thought, I started looking at phone apps that can do the same as this camera. To my surprise, there are so many apps out there that will act as a DVR. Like most phones these days, they actually have HD quality video. All i did was download a free app ( I like daily roads voyager) and I bought an iottie phone holder to attach to my winshield. Both work great and the videos are exactly what I wanted in a car cam..."

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014