• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Meritline.com
See Meritline.com coupons that earn 3.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

USB Car Charger
Thanks VBMcGB
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Last time I got one the plastic housing broke the second time I tried to remove it

There is some truth to safety issues with using cheap quality accessories...

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57595435-37/after-a-death-appl...

I've also had very poor luck using cheap chargers (although not nearly as bad as the woman who was killed). One time a car charger blew a fuse in my car. I only buy brand name chargers now. Fortunately, Amazon has real Motorola brand stuff cheap (just make sure you buy directly from Amazon and not some 3rd party listing who may or may not be selling the real thing).

The details of her death are unknown, and unknowable considering that the quality of news that might reach us from there makes USSR-era Pravda seem honest and accurate by comparison. However, it seems extremely unlikely that the thin-gauge wires used in a cheap Chinese charger can carry enough current to hurt someone even if the charger can somehow make such high amperage (which it can't regardless of how it malfunctions). I suppose a lightning strike could send enough low-amperage high-voltage static electricity through those extremely thin wires to mess up a pacemaker in the same way that shuffling one's feet on carpet might make it possible (doubt it).

However, an ultra cheap charger could certainly blow fuses/breakers and could conceivably move enough electrons to damage your phone.

I've been using chargers from Dollar Tree and my only complaints are low charge rate (not enough current) and falling apart (one instance of which resulted in a metal piece falling out in the car's 12v socket, shorting it and blowing a fuse).

So...anybody have link for a high-current (1+ amp), reasonable-quality 12v USB power adapter for a few bucks shipped?

Someone had tested a cheap power supply ("charger") from eBay and found out that the output current is not even DC!

Having said that, it is unlikely that a car charger taking a 12V input would have the same issue. But I would measure the current just to be sure.

thc said:   
So...anybody have link for a high-current (1+ amp), reasonable-quality 12v USB power adapter for a few bucks shipped?

Keep an eye on Newegg, they will have really expensive adapters, occasionally with rebates that make them free. I got the macally one some time back (14.99, free after rebate) that is pretty good. I think there is also a Newegg FAR thread in this forum.

thc said:   So...anybody have link for a high-current (1+ amp), reasonable-quality 12v USB power adapter for a few bucks shipped?
Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for or if $6.82 qualifies as "few", but I've been very happy with this unit.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Vehicle-Adapter-micro-USB-Charger...

Just remember, if you buy it from a seller other than Amazon and it is not as described, be sure to complain to the seller and get your money back and report them to Amazon for selling a different product than is listed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014