• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I just bought a refurbished Motorola SB5101 modem off of eBay for $16 shipped. TWC recent monthly modem fee increase from $3.99 to 5.99 was the last straw especially after the original $3.99 fee had been instituted for less than a year. I'm on the Lite plan so a DOCSIS 2.0 is all I really need. Replacing an Arris TM620A. In less than 3mos, I will have recouped the price of the modem. Plus I'm getting a 10% increase in d/l speed because the Motorola is better engineered.

Lite/Standard plans only require a DOCSIS 2.0 otherwise I would have been tempted to try a DOCSIS 3.0 with its bonded channels to see what kind of added performance I would have gotten.

Gizmodo article that lists approved modems

TWC installation guide when you switch modems

edit: one more deal.
$65 shipped deal on SB6141

Member Summary

Motorola SB5101
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer

Motorola SB5101
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Try CL, if you live around metro areas and has free time to drive around.

b16899 (Aug. 08, 2013 @ 1:38p) |

Seller raised price of all items for sell to $4000. It seems he can't process so many orders in short time period.

CSREwallet (Aug. 09, 2013 @ 6:14a) |

JOXU (Aug. 12, 2013 @ 2:23p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

That's one OLD modem... If you are paying Comcast $6/mo, you better atleast get a Docsis 3.0 modem..
This is not even on Comcast's supported list anymore.. It may already by categorized as EOL..

Edit - According to http://mydeviceinfo.comcast.net/?e=1 device is EOL. It may work, but I would still rather get SB6141 or SB6121 if I had to get a new modem today.. It will be more expensive, but will serve you a much longer time IMO. EOL FAQ: http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/end-of-lif...

No idea if TwC still supports this modem though.

walletLess said:   No idea if TwC still supports this modem though.

They do, for "Lite, Basic and Standard Service Plans," just as the OP specified.

Dude, read what I wrote. TWC is Time Warner Cable. Lite/Standard plans gain no additional benefit since they are capped. The modem may be old but it's still approved, has better performance than TWC provided AND at $16, is almost throw away equipment.

I priced a SB6141 and new one (nice deal) would have costed me $65. Not worth it.

I've been running this modem for just about ten years with TWC on their turbo plan. I get 32-33Mbps down (2Mbps upload cause of cap). Thing is still running like a champ!

Very nice deal! Wish there was once like that when I subscribed for Comcast. Don't need the modem now (and hope mine will be going strong for a long time) but green for a great deal.

I didn't know they were increasing their modem lease fee. I bought a modem (the SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0) right after I got their letter about the $3.99/mo starting, and haven't looked back. In retrospect, now that the fee is going to be $5.99, I'm saving even more money.

All you need to do when the modem comes is hook it up, and call TWC with the "HFCID" and they'll switch your service over to it. Then you'll need to return the old modem. Sooner the better - I took too long and they charged me $70 for the old modem, which of course they refunded as soon as I turned it in.

I just returned old modem. I'm in Manhattan and went to the 23rd street. It was PACKED. Looks like TWC is doing ok, which makes it kinda skivvy that they decided to use this backhanded way to raise rates. Read someplace, they stand to make addtl $150 million this year on the price bump. They were probably emboldened by the fact that Comcast is charging $7/mos.

What really irritated me was that the old modem Arris TM620A is DOCSIS 2.0 and worse performer than the Motorola. You think at $4/mos ($48/yr) or $6/mos ($72/yr), they would spring for a DOCSIS 3.0.

Here's the link to the SB6141 if any TWC members want to go that route. SB6121 isn't on the "approved list" for purchased modems.
$65 shipped deal for SB6141

S105dude said:   I didn't know they were increasing their modem lease fee. I bought a modem (the SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0) right after I got their letter about the $3.99/mo starting, and haven't looked back. In retrospect, now that the fee is going to be $5.99, I'm saving even more money.

All you need to do when the modem comes is hook it up, and call TWC with the "HFCID" and they'll switch your service over to it. Then you'll need to return the old modem. Sooner the better - I took too long and they charged me $70 for the old modem, which of course they refunded as soon as I turned it in.

does anyone know if this works for brighthouse ?

The 6121 is on the approved list in Charlotte, NC. I just printed it out this weekend, getting ready to switch from AT&T dsl.

Has anyone tested out the theory that a DOCSIS 2.0 will perform faster on a capped plan than a 3.0 because they can't cap a 2.0 modem?

I just purchased a refurbished Cisco DCP3010 from eBay for $35 to replace my SB5101 with Cox Communications. Did an online self activation to replace the modem. Works great!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CISCO-DPC3010-EPC3010-DOCSIS-3-0-8x4-CABLE-MODEM-COX-SUDDENLINK-MINT-CONDITION-/350811857306?pt=PCC_Modems&hash=item51ae04219a

Actually, 6121 is only on the leased list of approved modems. For purchase, it looks like only the Motorola's one are approved. Read the Gizmodo article.

You'll notice that the list of "approved for retail" modems list is much shorter than the "approved for rental list," which means that Time Warner will rent you an older, outmoded POS, but they won't approve it for use if you bring your own hardware to the party.

rsmars said:   The 6121 is on the approved list in Charlotte, NC. I just printed it out this weekend, getting ready to switch from AT&T dsl.

I have an extra SB5101 from garage sale. I just wanna test if it works and then sell it. Will it be troublesome if I call TWC to test and then switch back to my current modem? Thanks.

Probably can work but kinda hassle. I was on hold for like 20 minutes, rep said they were getting a ton of calls on conversions.

kuelllin said:   I have an extra SB5101 from garage sale. I just wanna test if it works and then sell it. Will it be troublesome if I call TWC to test and then switch back to my current modem? Thanks.

eldustman said:   I've been running this modem for just about ten years with TWC on their turbo plan. I get 32-33MB's down (2MB's upload cause of cap). Thing is still running like a champ!

I think you meant 32-33Mb not MB

lwlee said:   Actually, 6121 is only on the leased list of approved modems. For purchase, it looks like only the Motorola's one are approved. Read the Gizmodo article.

You'll notice that the list of "approved for retail" modems list is much shorter than the "approved for rental list," which means that, as per usual corporate fuckery, Time Warner will rent you an older, outmoded POS, but they won't approve it for use if you bring your own hardware to the party.

rsmars said:   The 6121 is on the approved list in Charlotte, NC. I just printed it out this weekend, getting ready to switch from AT&T dsl.

Didn't read the Gizmodo article, but I did go to the TWC page for "Buy your personal Internet modem". Both the 6121 & 6141 are currently on the list.

Kinda confusing, it seems 2 different TWC sources showing different info.

rsmars said:   lwlee said:   Actually, 6121 is only on the leased list of approved modems. For purchase, it looks like only the Motorola's one are approved. Read the Gizmodo article.

You'll notice that the list of "approved for retail" modems list is much shorter than the "approved for rental list," which means that Time Warner will rent you an older, outmoded POS, but they won't approve it for use if you bring your own hardware to the party.

Didn't read the Gizmodo article, but I did go to the TWC page for "Buy your personal Internet modem". Both the 6121 & 6141 are currently on the list.

Excellent Post OP!

You posted a great deal and posted the links that tell how to take advantage of the deal - love it!

At this price, got 1 as a backup to my SB6121. If it suddenly dies, I'm covered for a bit.

Thanks OP!

Works for Carolina's TWC - I am using this for last 6 months. I am glad that I bought it when TWC instituted the modem fee in first place

There's a 'make offer' button. Can anyone tell us their offer that was accepted?

damn it, I just bought one from Amazon. How trustworthy are refurnished electronics from eBay? Haven't bought anything from eBay for ages.

lwlee said:   I just returned old modem. I'm in Manhattan and went to the 23rd street. It was PACKED. Looks like TWC is doing ok, which makes it kinda skivvy that they decided to use this backhanded way to raise rates. Read someplace, they stand to make addtl $150 million this year on the price bump. They were probably emboldened by the fact that Comcast is charging $7/mos.

What really irritated me was that the old modem Arris TM620A is DOCSIS 2.0 and worse performer than the Motorola. You think at $4/mos ($48/yr) or $6/mos ($72/yr), they would spring for a DOCSIS 3.0.

Here's the link to the SB6141 if any TWC members want to go that route. SB6121 isn't on the "approved list" for purchased modems.
$65 shipped deal for SB6141

Yeah, I wasn't happy that they started charging for my modem that was OLD, ran hot, and constantly disconnected my VoIP line which required a reset of my router. My VoIP has been solid with my new SB6121 and my same Linksys router from before. I picked up a SB5101 from Amazon, used, for under $20 for my relative when he signed up for TWC RoadRunner service. I told him I'll get him a modem and he just trusts me when I tell him it's better this way. He's got the 'lite service so the 5101 is perfect. I still have two more relatives who are leasing their modem who I need to help buy their own.

Really, if you're on TWC RR service, do yourself a favor and buy a modem. Paying $6/mo is stupid. I've had RoadRunner for probably ten years now and will have it for a long time to come = BIG $$ saved.

mooseranger said:   damn it, I just bought one from Amazon. How trustworthy are refurnished electronics from eBay? Haven't bought anything from eBay for ages.
Depends on seller. If things go south you can always ask for eBay buyer protection

Great deal thanks op.
One questions sort of related I guess. I would like to purchase a TimeWarner HDTV box to avoid the rental fee. Are there any options out there? for some reason I am having trouble finding what models are accepted for purchase.

The eBay link I provided is a seller with 99.7% positive feedback, over 5600 transactions. Offers a money back guarantee on the modem. Has sold 82 as of last count and still has more than 10 to sell. So it appears he's refurbishes these modems.

I actually bought my modem from a similar vendor with similar stats, high pos fdback, lots of transaction, guarantee but the guy decided to bump up his price by $8 to around $24-$25. Probably thought he cash in more because of the TWC fee debacle. So I can't recommend him any longer. Just too many other ppl selling lower.

mooseranger said:   damn it, I just bought one from Amazon. How trustworthy are refurnished electronics from eBay? Haven't bought anything from eBay for ages.

Green for you OP. Called to complain today about my modem lease fee increase with TWC. Got a pathetic $3mth discount.

This will pay for itself in less than 3 months.

Thanks!

Thanks OP!!!
I was so mad when I heard about the increase and started bidding on modems last weekend. Now I'm glad I lost those auctions!

Great deal!

Thanks for the link to the SB6141! Funny... first time the shipping was $8, then I did some research (about 20 minutes) and clicked again and this time it was $5 shipping. Grabbed one immediately.

Any deal on SB6121?

Maybe should have a spare in case my current SA-Cisco DPC2100R2 dies. Been using it years for TWC (internet only). They still rent these old modems - whether it's on the current list seems irrelevant,
but TWC has no respect for their customers.

Nice deal OP. Got it for $15.24 shipped. Payoff in less than 2 months is a no-brainer.

can I use this with my Cox cable?

mmarcuse said:   Has anyone tested out the theory that a DOCSIS 2.0 will perform faster on a capped plan than a 3.0 because they can't cap a 2.0 modem?Exceedingly unlikely. DOCSIS 1.0 supported caps:
http://www.cablelabs.com/cablemodem/primer/

Marc

saavyfw said:   can I use this with my Cox cable?

Dude, keep that between you and your wife.

I believe I'm running this same modem on comcast and get 25-30 Mbps despite it only being DOCSIS 2.0 it still works fine, maybe i could get 30-40 on a 3.0 but I'm fine with what I've got.

saladdin said:   saavyfw said:   can I use this with my Cox cable?

Dude, keep that between you and your wife.

haha

Skipping 26 Messages...

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014