• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Best Buy
See Best Buy discounts that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Samsung Chromebook
Thanks djrsn00
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Geek squad refurbished is like saying a six year old fixed an F-16 jet.

ZombieHunter said:   Geek squad refurbished is like saying a six year old fixed an F-16 jet.
Geek squad: "We ran a registry optimization program from our super secret USB thumb drive. Everything is so fast right now, it's like a brand new computer!"

Me: ChromeOS doesn't have a registry, kiddo."

Geek squad: "It's certified, sir. That will be $99."

What's the difference in using a $75 dual core Dell e1505 or 1501 off eBay and booting a live "persistent" linux distro from USB? I can install Google Chrome Web Browser since it has the latest Adobe Flash player built-in. I've liked using Peppermint 4, all flavors of Ubuntu, Ultimate Edition 3.5, all Linux Mint, and most versions of Puppy. Doesn't need a hard drive and you can add another USB drive for extra storage, or live in the clouds.

dynocesar said:   What's the difference in using a $75 dual core Dell e1505 or 1501 off eBay and booting a live "persistent" linux distro from USB? I can install Google Chrome Web Browser since it has the latest Adobe Flash player built-in. I've liked using Peppermint 4, all flavors of Ubuntu, Ultimate Edition 3.5, all Linux Mint, and most versions of Puppy. Doesn't need a hard drive and you can add another USB drive for extra storage, or live in the clouds.

Those decade-old Dells are thicker, weigh twice as much, and have 1/4 the battery life (if the battery is brand-new)

I don't trust the Geek Squad as far as my 1 yr old nephew can throw them. I built a computer for a friend. It stopped working after 2 years. She took it in, was told that the motherboard was bad and she needed to replace the system. I drove the 400 miles to her house, unhooked the ATX power supply from the motherboard, held down the power button for 30 seconds, plugged the power supply back into the motherboard, hit the power button and the system immediately booted. The system is still running without any problems 2 years down the road from that "fix".

This is a amazing deal for someone that isn't tech savvy or someone that is worried about viruses.

Arise thread, thread arise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ9dtZ8lYww 

I bought this the first time the geek squad "refurbed" these. It had a down arrow key that was barely functional, popping off over and over again until it was lost. Now I have no down arrow.

1) Anyone know where to get a cheap replacement
2) This chromebook is amazing. My daughter uses it and her ipad sits unused.....

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014