• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
wife and I use puretalk usa for cell phone service, would like to have an android phone that uses wifi.  the Avail II, from bestbuy fits our budget needs.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/AT%26T---ZTE-Avail-II-3G-No-Contract-Mobile-Phone---Black/9826348.p?id=1219043331742&skuId=9826348

has microsd card slot that takes up to 32gb card (tried 64 and didn't recognize), slightly sluggish compared to my Samsung skyrocket.  Uses full size sim card, best tech for the lowest price with no contract.  Its an AT&T go phone (prepaid) just popped her puretalkusa sim in and bam works.

I would tho, do the following,
the att address book was like not loading at all, you could turn off the 'data' and it would always show up as a network error, or use this fix i figured out.

from the home screen, hit the right non screen button
manage apps
scroll the screen right untill you see "All" apps running
click on AT&T Phonebook,
click stop
click disable
reboot phone
FIXED!!!

again this is if your going to use this for anohter carrier other than at&t im sure with at&t it will work fine, but i refuse to pay a data plan, since wifi is everywhere, i dont need to send a mms, since i only pay $ 10 /month for cellphone bill

PS: also, this phone will not accept 64 gb microsd cards...and it takes a full size sim...i know about the 64 cause i tried...on the other hand, my i727 samsung skyrocket does take a 64 gb even tho it says it doesnt.

Member Summary

Android 4.1 JB cell phone
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Got one for my grandfather and got a galaxy S4 for myself.

rita3415 (Aug. 27, 2013 @ 3:15a) |

Get one of the other phones people have mentioned in this thread. They are much better options.

mase123987 (Aug. 27, 2013 @ 5:27a) |

Can any body tell how to upgrade android 2.3 to 4.1 jelly bean? Does it support Adobe Flash?

ocglasscraft (Aug. 27, 2013 @ 7:07a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Does this has normal SIM or microSIM? Thanks.

dgrade said:   Does this has normal SIM or microSIM? Thanks.
  read the OP post again, your answer is there.

If anyone has one of these, if you could run a CPU ident app and let us know what's under the hood, that'd be great.

It looks like a decent little phone except for the missing light sensor, which isn't the end of the world, and the skimpy 512MB RAM.  But I check out the specs on ZTE's website and there is no mention of CPU speed.  The only mention I can find of it online says the CPU is 600 mhz.  I've had enough experience with Android to know that trying to use a 600 mhz phone for anything other than dialing calls is like banging your head against a wall, just because it'll feel so good when you stop.

Maybe the Avail II has a faster CPU?  If it's 800 mhz or better this would probably make a fine spare/starter/kids phone.

So,all the AT&T phones don't have to be unlocked to use PureTalk?

anybody know of a cheap site to have this phone unlocked? I'd like to get one for T-Mobile. This would be a better back up than the $25 concord OfficeDepot has which runs on android 2.2.

miniklb said:   So,all the AT&T phones don't have to be unlocked to use PureTalk?
 PureTalK FAQ - How do I know if my phone is unlocked or compatible?

If your phone was through the following carriers, it is not compatible. Verizon/Alltel, Boost, Sprint/Nextel, MetroPCS, Virgin Mobile, Page Plus. If your existing phone was used with T-Mobile, TracFone, Net10 or other GSM providers, it will have to be unlocked to work with our services. To check to see if it is unlocked, simply place a different type of SIM chip in it. The phone will show that SIM carrier on your phone if your phone is unlocked. If your phone is AT&T or Cingular, our SIM chip should be compatible.

Off topic a little, but I noticed PureTalk is offering a free flip phone. But it was the first time I've looked at PureTalk, so maybe this is an everyday offer.

conncarl said:   If anyone has one of these, if you could run a CPU ident app and let us know what's under the hood, that'd be great.

It looks like a decent little phone except for the missing light sensor, which isn't the end of the world, and the skimpy 512MB RAM.  But I check out the specs on ZTE's website and there is no mention of CPU speed.  The only mention I can find of it online says the CPU is 600 mhz.  I've had enough experience with Android to know that trying to use a 600 mhz phone for anything other than dialing calls is like banging your head against a wall, just because it'll feel so good when you stop.

Maybe the Avail II has a faster CPU?  If it's 800 mhz or better this would probably make a fine spare/starter/kids phone.

Dude, there's an easier way. How bout just check the product description: 800MHz Qualcomm MSM7225A

Unrelated: Remember when cheap Android phones meant resistive touchscreens? Har, har, har.

Moneymitch said:   anybody know of a cheap site to have this phone unlocked? I'd like to get one for T-Mobile. This would be a better back up than the $25 concord OfficeDepot has which runs on android 2.2.

2.2? Why would you want to buy an obsolete device?

3.5" 480x320 screen - like the original iPhone. Very low res and very small screen. For a little more ($100) you can get the Nokia 520 or 521 (480x800 screen), which are vasty better and bigger phones, or for a little more ($150 on sale) LG Optimus L9 (960x540 screen) if you really want Android.

BennyZz said:   
Moneymitch said:   anybody know of a cheap site to have this phone unlocked? I'd like to get one for T-Mobile. This would be a better back up than the $25 concord OfficeDepot has which runs on android 2.2.

2.2? Why would you want to buy an obsolete device?

Actually this $79.99 phone is pretty much the same phone with some minor upgrades(512MB->4GB internal storage+Android 2.2-> 4.1).  Both have very below average hardware components like 262k colors display(this is the deal breaker to me) and 2MP camera(another deal breaker).   Photos are going to be much uglier with 262k display instead of the usual 16M, the low resolution of 480x320 also doesn't help (even for a small 3.5" display.)
Then with 512MB memory,  more demanding apps also may not run well. 
Therefore, the only reason to buy those phones is the super low price without requirements for any serious photo/camera usage. 
Personally I would not pay $80 for such low end devices.  Most low-end apps are compatible with Android 2.x anyway....Take Dolphin Browser Mini for example---it even runs smoothly on a Samsung Behold 2 with Android 1.6. (Check the description on Google Play, the latest version still supports 1.6).

WOW....appreciate all this great information..I am the worst @ tryin' 2 get the best deal on our common cell phones...

This is perfect for my 7 year old daughter who keeps asking for her own cell phone.  Hmmm...wonder if my 2 year old son is too young for one too.

conncarl said:   If anyone has one of these, if you could run a CPU ident app and let us know what's under the hood, that'd be great.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/AT-T-Avail_id6496

It's pretty bad phone.

If someone is looking for a deal, get MetroPCS Optimus L9 or F3 They run on T-Mobile network they cost around 100-129 after rebate. Very decent phones with 2400mah batteries 234ppi screen and 480 x 800 display resolution. No lag, very responsive, and runs JB.  Unlimited service for $40. Internet speed up to 30mbps download. For $50 you 2.5 gb of data, they also have a family plan discount of $5.

from phonescoop.com

Specs 

Modes  more detail WCDMA 850 / 1900
GSM 850 / 1900
Weight 4.4 oz   (125 g)
Dimensions 4.6" x 2.44" x 0.45"   (117 x 62 x 11.4 mm)
Battery Talk: 5 hours max.   (300 minutes)
Standby: 500 hours max.   (20.8 days)
1500 mAh LiIon, Removable
Display Type: LCD (Color TFT/TFD)
Resolution: 320 x 480 pixels
3.5"   diagonal
Colors: 262,144 (18-bit)
OS / Platform  Android 
version 4.1
Processor 1 GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon MSM7225A
Memory 4 GB internal storage, raw hardware
2.3 GB internal storage, available to user
512 MB RAM 

unnamedny said:   

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/AT-T-Avail_id6496 

It's pretty bad phone.

It may or not be a "bad" phone but that link doesn't offer any info that declares it a "bad" phone.
For the record that is the old model with a 600mhz processor vs the new model discussed here with a 800mhz processor.  

well, it's really cheap but it's function is not for it's price, i want more functions can be found.

and it takes a full size sim
dgrade said:   Does this has normal SIM or microSIM? Thanks.

in response to the earlier question of puretalk free flip phone

everyday offer in general.
I use their $ 10 /month plan, and about every 3-4 months I add a $ 50 in minutes to it....still cheaper than their (and any) unlimited plan for me, as I do use my phone a lot, but since rollover minutes never expire, and I don't have to pay data even tho its a smart phone (bad AT&T) its the best for our collective situations.  Sure I miss not being able to get data everywhwere (in car) but everywhere I'm at usually has free wifi anyway.

if you don't opt for the free flip phone, they give you a sim card, with more minutes on it.

Get a version of the Galaxy S2. You can get it used for $120, global unlock, easy modifications including under/overclocking great camera, pretty good screen, great development for hardware including extended batteries, case covers, screen covers.

AndrewNoNumbers said:   

Dude, there's an easier way. How bout just check the product description: 800MHz Qualcomm MSM7225A

Unrelated: Remember when cheap Android phones meant resistive touchscreens? Har, har, har.

I am 69 and do not remember those days, how old do you need to be?

tiger188 said:   Only $64.99 at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/AT-amp-Avail-Android-4-1/dp/B00EMHUAN4/ref...

Got 2....  

BB cancelled the order in 10 minutes  

Got one for my grandfather and got a galaxy S4 for myself.

Get one of the other phones people have mentioned in this thread. They are much better options.

Can any body tell how to upgrade android 2.3 to 4.1 jelly bean? Does it support Adobe Flash?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014