• filter:
  • 1 23459
  • Page
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
   see QS for details, some issues with moderator removal of the original OP made this necessary. sorry.

FreedomPop
See FreedomPop coupons that earn $5.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Related Deals   People who viewed this deal also viewed these similar deals.

Member Summary

Talk (18.70kB)
Thanks Neilium
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Oh, I get it!

So here's the next question: Do SIP calls made with your R+ account use your R+ minutes? Based on language ... (more)

thc (May. 26, 2014 @ 9:53a) |

good question, in all the excitement that little detail escaped me. Afraid it does count towards your plan. 
(sorry, quot... (more)

Monkeybiz (May. 26, 2014 @ 11:50a) |

some tasty news from Ringplus, roaming coming Sept 1st. Still happy with Kate plan but I have several old Lyca sims stil... (more)

Monkeybiz (Aug. 15, 2014 @ 2:19p) |

Friendly reminder to all new users (especially to those who are undecided about which phones they plan to use):-You must make an outbound call within 24 hours.-For the 1st 7 days only, your free account must not have a 10 to 1 ratio of outgoing to incoming calls for 2 consecutive days. This rule is ignored if you make 17 outgoing calls within the 7 days. No need to worry if this sounds complicated. Just make 2-3 calls per day for the first 7 days. Need somebody to call?NOAA Weather Servicehttp://www.nws.noaa.gov/pa/recordedforecasts.phpListen to a short or a few minutes of a podcasthttp://podlinez.com/-After the 1st 7 days, the minimum usage is 1 outgoing call per 3 weeks. To support RingPlus (listening to ads), try to use you phone more often than the minimum to help keep this service free. 

RingPlus is an Ad-Supported Cell Service that Gives Users 300 Minutes and 50 Texts per Month for Free.
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/8/prweb11050966.htm 

RingPlus uses the Sprint network. This company inserts ads during the time you are waiting for the other party to pick up the call. Once the other person answers, the ad stops.

Freedompop is also scheduled to have free phone service that uses Sprint phones. Freedompop's offer is 200 minutes, Unlimited Texts, and 500mb per month. Calls will be done using mobile VOIP. No known at this time is whether or not Freedompop will allow BYOD at launch. Freedompop definitely will require an Android device. RingPlus does not have such a requirement.

Since there is nothing special required, any Sprint phone should work with RingPlus. That is everything except phones reported lost/stolen and iphones.

The free 300 minute and 50 texts per month is not a limited-time offer. In fact, the plan is to give users even more minutes and texts as the company signs up more advertisers.

There does seem to be a finite number of users RingPlus is allocating for this no-cost service. In other words: You snooze; You lose.

A credit or debit card is required in case the users goes over the limit of 300 minutes of 50 texts.

More details here

To take advantage of this great deal merely follow these 11 steps; it takes about 4 minutes to sign up.

1) First, a Sprint* device, like an Android, (No i Phones!) that is not currently active is required. For example, if one canceled their subscription to another company or upgraded and now have a phone that has no service.
2) Then, go to https://my.ringplus.net/users/sign_in and click “Check My Device".
3) Enter the ESN number located on under the phone’s battery. It’s the long number called the Hex or Dec number (either one).
4) If this phone is ready to become a RingPlus phone and is not active at the moment under a contract or service, it will go to the next page.
5) After this, follow the steps to set up an account by entering an email and making up a password.
6) Then, go to “Add a New Device” in the account.
7) The ICID is only necessary with a Galaxy S4.
8) Choose the “BOYSD plan”.
9) A credit or debit card on file is necessary. This is required in case of exceeding the limit and/or making international calls
10) For more minutes or to make international calls or to use the in-call translator, go to” top up" and put money on the account. It’s a good Idea to always have a little bit of money available (around $10) in case more than 300 minutes is needed.
11) Now set device to factory reset (videos for most handsets are on YouTube).
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
MISTERCHEAP said:      see QS for details, some issues with moderator removal of the original OP made this necessary. sorry.
  Yeah, was wondering about that...the topic alert had more info the the FW post...I figured it was because of the SD link you posted.

rated:
AcidSpectrum said:   
MISTERCHEAP said:      see QS for details, some issues with moderator removal of the original OP made this necessary. sorry.
  Yeah, was wondering about that...the topic alert had more info the the FW post...I figured it was because of the SD link you posted.

not by design, the new posting format auto hyperlinks everything. I was trying to clean it up when it got the kabosh. Progress = two steps forward, one step back at times.

rated:
Free calls worth hearing some craps, IMHO

rated:
Wonder if this will work with my old Droid X Verizon phone when I upgrade?

rated:
I signed up with an old Sprint phone (from ptel) to let my son use. Account is active, but no email and no service yet, but I suspect service may take 24 hours or more.

rated:
same thing...activated but phone can't make or receive calls yet.  i wonder if we need to input the new phone number into the phone or if we need to anything to the phone to make it work.

rated:
It accepted my VM HTC one V . How do I reset it/ program the phone ? https://support.htc.com/en-uk/100-HTC_One_V/0M0/050 does not get rid of VM crap

overage min. $?

port #?

rated:
Checked Sprint phone ESN and got the ALL OK.
Put in the registration info and get this:
The activation of HTC Phone failed:
Device service area could not be found, be sure your billing address is correct (CSA not available).
Edit and try the request again.

SOL i guess!

rated:
Cool. Got a email from RingPlus Voicemail voicemail@ringplus.net

4:31 PM (2 minutes ago)

A voicemail was received on Sunday, August 25, 2013 at 04:31 PM PDT.

Testing one two three.

A recording of your message has also been attached.

Do they have a CSR email?

rated:
Do you think someone could buy a new Virgin Mobile or Sprint prepaid phone and use this service, or does the phone have to have been activated, used and then removed from VM/Sprint plan in order to work here?

rated:
Interview with the founder. Sounds like Peter Sellers in Dr. Strangelove! Cool!

Thanks MrC. Interesting post as ALways.

rated:
HTC One V from VM, never was activated. looks like it works..

"Your Device Registration was submitted successfully. It will take a minute or two to verify your information and activate your device on the network. Refresh this page in a minute to see your new account."

rated:
cheap prepaid that would be compatible?

rated:
How much is cost per minute after you go over the 300 free mins.

rated:
Does this include roaming on alltel? or is it Sprint only?

rated:
I have it working on an old Platinumtel phone (which had been a paperweight with the change from Sprint to T-Mobile). Signed up on Ringplus website as described and was assigned a number. I couldn't get the phone to OTA download the correct profile/PRL to work with Ringplus so I did a manual factory reset using the MSL and then it worked (took a few tries for it to download correctly). So far so good, plays an advertisement instead of ringing the phone. It rounds all calls up to the nearest minute when counting calls in the log.

rated:
I think I will dig through my box of old phones and see if I have any Virgin or Sprint phones that will work. I can always use an extra cell phone around to hand a kid as a loaner.

This kind of reminds me of the ad supported free internet services that were all the rage ten or fifteen years ago.

rated:
anyone know how to configure data for htc one v and what are the charges?

rated:
Is this too good to be true? This post sends up redflags for me. 1. No where on www.ringplus.net website does it explain bring your own phone plan which states use with any plan. The main website states plans as follows 1. 4 cent plan which cost 19 dollars a month 2. Unlimited Basis for 39 dollars 3. Unlimited Super for 45 dollars. There is no mention of a free 300 minutes. I am only finding this information on blogs, facebook and posts like fatwallet not from the main website. If this is a proper plan, then Ringplus should put on their website. I can not find this. Caution, Caution, Caution. Let the buyer beware even on Fatwallet.

rated:
Ad supported and credit card info required, does NOT make sense to me.If it is FREE just shut off service when you have consumed 300 minutes. Without CC info big YES but with CC info big NO NO

rated:
flyhighutah said:   Ad supported and credit card info required, does NOT make sense to me.If it is FREE just shut off service when you have consumed 300 minutes. Without CC info big YES but with CC info big NO NO

Unless part of their business model is hoping you'll go over the limit.

rated:
I can't see this lasting for too long. I'll wait for the Freedompop service.

rated:
fud2 said:   Wonder if this will work with my old Droid X Verizon phone when I upgrade?
  In a word - NO, not unless you know how to magically make your verizon phone run on sprints network.

rated:
shallot said:   I can't see this lasting for too long. I'll wait for the Freedompop service.
  I'm with you - not a fan of "free service" that requires a credit card - however, that IS how they plan to make money I'm certain!  the deal breaker for me is that there is no data included on the free package.
if there were, I might bite.  On my TMo phone, I only use about 550 MB per month and got "cut off" of high speed 3 days before my month renewed, so I'm right on track with my plan for paid!

FP seems like a better alternative for me since the data will only be a backup - however, I have SO MANY cell phones, I'm not excited about having to purchase yet another one - so if BYOD works, I have well over a dozen virgin/Sprint/republic wireless devices that might work! 
I guess though, this might be a good thing to activate a phone and then throw it in the glove box and leave it as long as there's a charger close by - then I can test to see of my Republic Wireless devices can be recycled in some way shape of form.

rated:
just as an FYI, I punched in the IMEI of my Virgin Mobile HTC ONE V and it said Congratulations, your device will work on RingPlus! You can sign up and activate your device immediately by registering below. I'll try one of my republic wireless devices when I get home

rated:
I have the HTC One V from VM and was able to get the voice msg (could not hear anything, just white noise with a beep). I reset the phone, though the VM garbage are still there.
was anyone able to make/receive phone calls from the phone? There is no incoming/outgoing service, yet...

rated:
I activated an older VM phone (Kyocera Jax).  I had to manually enter the MSN and MSID numbers per their instructions: dial ##virgin# and edit & save. After the phone auto reset, it worked fine

rated:
It worked. After about an hour the MSL showed up on their website. I made an outgoing call and an incoming call to test it.

rated:
Cool
Thanks. The ringplus gave me some other number between ## # (something like ##123456#) and my phone disliked it.
The ##virgin# really works. Now I have another emergency phone

rated:
Thanks OP!!! I registered an old Sprint handset I had laying around, and followed steps 1-11. After step 11: factory resetting the phone, I am still not able to update PRL and it says connection timed out. I also manually updated the MDN and MSID successfully but when I did the factory reset, the ESN changed. I suspect this is why it cannot update PRL. Anyone know how to manually update the ESN on a LG Remarq?

Thanks for your help.

rated:
I punch in my numbers form my republic wireless phone and it says it will take it - I wonder though - how did you guys find the ##virgin# thing? might republic have a similar "unlock" code or program?!?!?!?!

rated:
created two accounts, one for my Sprint HTC Evo 4G that was laying around. And a new HTC One V that I never activated on VM. sweet deal.

rated:
I have a rooted never-activated HTC One V.
I registered with RP & got a phone number. But can't make or receive calls.
I haven't done #11 factory reset. Will I lose root when I do this?

rated:
I was able to activate by adding an old visa gift card I had that had a few dollars on it. They accepted it and the phone is working.

I'm sure quite a few people have an old gift card laying around with $1-$2 on it that will work.

rated:
nickk said:   I was able to activate by adding an old visa gift card I had that had a few dollars on it. They accepted it and the phone is working.

I'm sure quite a few people have an old gift card laying around with $1-$2 on it that will work.

that's genius - why didn't I think of that - I try to use my "spent" prepaid cards all the time and they don't work for everything.....i may try one that is empty - I can't imagine they'd put a hold on funds - they probably just see if all the "numbers match up"
I'll report back......I also suggest downloading an app that keeps track of your minutes and your texts - perhaps they have the ability to set limits to prohibit going over allotment?
I'm looking for those too!

rated:
I wish Sprint would stop whoring out their spectrum and instead focus on improving 3g speeds which has gotten worse over the past year and a half and the spotty LTE service is still slower than 3G on Verizon. Just saying. I know this isn't the place to vent so I promise I'm one and done on this. Thanks.

Edit to make this post more relevant to topic: just because its free (and still a great find OP), it doesn't mean you'll have great cell service.

rated:
so apparently the gift card I have with 28 cents on it worked - however, the phone looks like someone else may have fat fingered the number and it's on their account now?!?!?!  unless Republic Wireless used these guys for their service....it says my device is in use by customer xxxxxxxxxxxxx on account xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hmmmmmmm

rated:
lemonhead said:   so apparently the gift card I have with 28 cents on it worked - however, the phone looks like someone else may have fat fingered the number and it's on their account now?!?!?!  unless Republic Wireless used these guys for their service....it says my device is in use by customer xxxxxxxxxxxxx on account xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
hmmmmmmm

Hmmm... indeed. I'm Evan, the CTO over at RingPlus. Hopefully nobody else has grabbed your ESN; nefarious! But that error can also mean it's currently active on a different MVNO. Go ahead and contact support@ringplus.net and we'll see if we can get this ironed out.

And a huge welcome to all! Enjoy the service; hopefully you'll get more than you pay for.

Skipping 307 Messages...
rated:
some tasty news from Ringplus, roaming coming Sept 1st. Still happy with Kate plan but I have several old Lyca sims still kickin' at 2c/mn

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014