• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Enjoy

Link 

Best Buy
Need a Best Buy coupon that earns 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

chromecast
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Yes, get the Chromecast app from the App Store.  It'll throw your iPod into WiFi Direct mode to initiate the connection ... (more)

HotSalami (Sep. 09, 2013 @ 10:58a) |

Thanks. Got it and it worked!
I see only Netflix and youtube in the app. How do I get other things(if any)?

mugambo (Sep. 10, 2013 @ 9:38a) |

No other apps yet -- gotta wait.  You can try the Google Cast extension on Chrome (desktop only).  That'll mirror a tab ... (more)

HotSalami (Sep. 11, 2013 @ 4:10p) |

asuka said: Netflix codes are no longer included in Best Buy units.
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I get an error message:

  • Google - Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player is currently unavailable, to continue please Remove  the item from your Cart.

Worked for me. In for one.

Worked for me as well.

if I don't like it .... how'd they handle a return in store for this??

Just worked for me as well. Cancelled my Amazon back order.

Actually got in this time. Got 2 (1 shipped to my bro and 1 for me).

got one too. thanks

eighteenRabbit said:   I get an error message:

  • Google - Chromecast HDMI Streaming Media Player is currently unavailable, to continue please Remove   the item from your Cart.


  Got the same message the first time.  Cleared my cart and it worked the second time...

In 4 One. Thanks.

Hopefully it ships soon.

flamingonut said:   Just worked for me as well. Cancelled my Amazon back order.
In for one. Did the exact same thing. Awesome!

Just ordered 1 successfully as well. Here's to hoping it's a worthwhile device. I bought the RocketFish Miracast receiver from BB few weeks ago and the device is awful. I think Miracast is just not ready for primetime.


Realized I have 20 is reward certs...no brainer to try.  Thanks, in for one!

keep in mind they have blocked local streaming for now:
http://gizmodo.com/google-is-crippling-chromecasts-best-feature-...

RML51 said:   Saw this article today and thought buyers might want to know...

Google breaks ChromeCast's ability to play local content    -  http://www.muktware.com/5857/google-breaks-chromecasts-ability-play-local-content-updated    
 

  I knew somebody would bring this up. I saw this reported in a few places and all of them have the story wrong. Anybody who knows anything about the chromecast knows that it is not marketed as a device that let's you stream local content. It is an internet media device that lets you stream from approved providers and anything else through Google Chrome. These developers hacked the API and created an app that allowed the streaming of local files (sans Chrome) and then made headlines when Google blocked their hack. IMO, It's not right to blame Google for this. They did not "remove" functionality since they never promised that functionality to begin with.

I feel that I am one of the few people who honestly can't think of a use for this thing. If I am primarily limited to Netflix and YouTube, I am not interested. I understand that it can also stream from Chrome, but I am still not sold. Can someone who is super excited for this please let me know what your plans are for it?

they didn't promise this, yet.  but they did take it away, no matter how you put it.  i assume it is to get more content providers on board.

Godis1coolguy said:   I feel that I am one of the few people who honestly can't think of a use for this thing. If I am primarily limited to Netflix and YouTube, I am not interested. I understand that it can also stream from Chrome, but I am still not sold. Can someone who is super excited for this please let me know what your plans are for it?
  Why do you hate Netflix and YouTube so much?

Thanks! Was OOS so quick last time, so glad to see it's back! In for one.

worked for me, thanks!

Godis1coolguy said:   I feel that I am one of the few people who honestly can't think of a use for this thing. If I am primarily limited to Netflix and YouTube, I am not interested. I understand that it can also stream from Chrome, but I am still not sold. Can someone who is super excited for this please let me know what your plans are for it?
  
If you don't like Netflix or YouTube it's probably not for you.  My experience (using Chromecast since I bought it launch day) is that streaming from a desktop, laptop or tablet through Chrome to the device is very laggy & produces poor quality.  I hope they find a way to improve it.  I bought it primarily for Netflix on a TV that I didn't already have Netflix capability on.  I'm excited to see what else they add, like HBOGO, etc.  There are also rumors that Google will bid for the rights to broadcast NFL games (DirecTV's exclusive agreement expires after the 2014 season).  Who knows what all will be developed for Chromecast.  For $35 including 3 months of Netflix (that I pay for anyway), I couldn't resist the temptation to try it out.

Sold out between the time I clicked "Add to Cart" and typed in my address.

Once i went to pay said cart empty

Yeah that was fast...

johnny98 said:   
Godis1coolguy said:   I feel that I am one of the few people who honestly can't think of a use for this thing. If I am primarily limited to Netflix and YouTube, I am not interested. I understand that it can also stream from Chrome, but I am still not sold. Can someone who is super excited for this please let me know what your plans are for it?
  Why do you hate Netflix and YouTube so much?

  
I don't hate either of them, I use both. I already have them on my tvs, either built in or through a bluray player. So $35 for another device to do something I already can do wasn't a huge selling point. With how fast these things keep selling out, I figured there must be some other use that people are so excited for...
raringvt said:   
Godis1coolguy said:   I feel that I am one of the few people who honestly can't think of a use for this thing. If I am primarily limited to Netflix and YouTube, I am not interested. I understand that it can also stream from Chrome, but I am still not sold. Can someone who is super excited for this please let me know what your plans are for it?
  
If you don't like Netflix or YouTube it's probably not for you.  My experience (using Chromecast since I bought it launch day) is that streaming from a desktop, laptop or tablet through Chrome to the device is very laggy & produces poor quality.  I hope they find a way to improve it.  I bought it primarily for Netflix on a TV that I didn't already have Netflix capability on.  I'm excited to see what else they add, like HBOGO, etc.  There are also rumors that Google will bid for the rights to broadcast NFL games (DirecTV's exclusive agreement expires after the 2014 season).  Who knows what all will be developed for Chromecast.  For $35 including 3 months of Netflix (that I pay for anyway), I couldn't resist the temptation to try it out.


Thanks, I like both services, but am not really in the need for another device to access either service. I was hoping to hear that there were others apps that had already added streaming capabilities. I wanted this to become an AirPlay competitor. It sounds like it may get there in time, but for now I will hold off.

you could always stream adult content from the web from your mobile device to the big screen.....

I need an option to watch content from my laptop browswer to my tv without a cable. Will this work? Is there any other options? Websites such as fox.com, etc. that carry tv content on them.

I use my ChromeCast to stream Google Play Music from my Android devices to my TV. I also use it with the Chrome plugin (Works on PC/Mac, not phone) to cast any tab to my screen. That works reasonably OK for most things I've done, including videos that play in your browser (ie flash based sites).

I got this last time BestBuy had any, including the three month Netflix code. I would get another (as I actually do move my Chromecast now in between TVs) for the $35 price if it included another 3 months of Netflix (so I could stack up to 6 months then)

basic question, with the Netflix code, is there any expiration on activating the code? Was gonna wait to get one when I get a new TV but by then the offering of the code may be pulled for good.

peste386 said:   
RML51 said:   Saw this article today and thought buyers might want to know...

Google breaks ChromeCast's ability to play local content     -  http://www.muktware.com/5857/google-breaks-chromecasts-ability-play-local-content-updated     

  I knew somebody would bring this up. I saw this reported in a few places and all of them have the story wrong. Anybody who knows anything about the chromecast knows that it is not marketed as a device that let's you stream local content. It is an internet media device that lets you stream from approved providers and anything else through Google Chrome. These developers hacked the API and created an app that allowed the streaming of local files (sans Chrome) and then made headlines when Google blocked their hack. IMO, It's not right to blame Google for this. They did not "remove" functionality since they never promised that functionality to begin with.

  
Post is also misleading since in that article they confirm that Google will allow this.
http://www.muktware.com/5860/confirmed-chromecast-will-be-able-p...

mosmos said:   basic question, with the Netflix code, is there any expiration on activating the code? Was gonna wait to get one when I get a new TV but by then the offering of the code may be pulled for good.
  The code will expire 12/31/2013.

back in stock now go go go!

In for one.......

Sold out...says try instore

Just got one - thanks OP!

jsssm said:   
peste386 said:   
RML51 said:   Saw this article today and thought buyers might want to know...

Google breaks ChromeCast's ability to play local content       -  http://www.muktware.com/5857/google-breaks-chromecasts-ability-play-local-content-updated       

  I knew somebody would bring this up. I saw this reported in a few places and all of them have the story wrong. Anybody who knows anything about the chromecast knows that it is not marketed as a device that let's you stream local content. It is an internet media device that lets you stream from approved providers and anything else through Google Chrome. These developers hacked the API and created an app that allowed the streaming of local files (sans Chrome) and then made headlines when Google blocked their hack. IMO, It's not right to blame Google for this. They did not "remove" functionality since they never promised that functionality to begin with.

  
Post is also misleading since in that article they confirm that Google will allow this.
http://www.muktware.com/5860/confirmed-chromecast-will-be-able-p...

  That doesn't confirm that Google will allow local content to be streamed.

30 units arrived at the Beavercreek OH (45430) last night

Skipping 25 Messages...
No other apps yet -- gotta wait.  You can try the Google Cast extension on Chrome (desktop only).  That'll mirror a tab to the Chromecast.  It's a little laggy.  In my experience, it seems to work slightly better on a Mac, for some reason.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014