• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

WD My Net Wi Fi Range Extender
Disclaimer
*I marked this as YMMV because there is no free shipping on this item unless you order over $50 (otherwise, shipping is $9.995) and availability for instore pickup may be limited. [ETA: When inventory is temporarily out of stock, this is much less YMMV since OD allows you to backorder with free shipping: "Temporarily out of stock. Order now to pick up at your nearest store or we'll ship when available." (thanks dniksich)]

WD My Net Wi-Fi® Range Extender     

Model: WDBAPK0000NCH-HESNProvide complete Wi-Fi accessibility through your home network with this range extender

• Expand your wireless network to areas with a weak or missing signal for uninterrupted connectivity throughout your home.
  • 3 x 3 antenna array delivers HD video streaming, fast file transfers, lag-free video chatting and more.
  • 2.4GHz and 5GHz selectable dual-band. 
  • Up to 450Mbps data transfer rate for optimum performance. 
  • No software required.  Setup is as easy as pushing 2 buttons.

Office Depot
See Office Depot promo codes that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Western Digital My Net
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Got the same cancellation message on the 2 I had back-ordered as well.
Oh well, can't always get the good deal.

WaywardTraveller (Sep. 20, 2013 @ 6:45p) |

Yep, got the cancellation email also I guess we can now safely say this deal is dead

dniksich (Sep. 21, 2013 @ 8:45a) |

I hadn't seen this thread but walked into Office Depot just to see what was available.    This was marked down to $8.97.  ... (more)

newz54 (Nov. 21, 2013 @ 4:15p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Ordered1 on backorder but did get free shipping.

dniksich said:   Ordered1 on backorder but did get free shipping.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll update the OP.

I think they listed a feature you aren't going to ever get on a router:

Find the right spot easily.
The dual Thunderbolt ports allow you to daisy chain more drives for more speed and higher capacity. Connect a Thunderbolt display and other Thunderbolt-enabled peripherals to achieve maximum efficiency and productivity.

Never been a huge fan of WD's networking gear... but for the price, I think I'll give it a chance.

THX OP, backordered two with free shipping.

Thank you, nice find.

Thanks for the post fivetalents...this is the price Staples had a month ago but they sold out! so in for one on back order

Thanks got 1

I got one. Got home set up is a breeze. Works amazingly great! Full bars now around the whole house. Thanks op

i have a smart tv but the wifi is not that great upstairs.  will this boost the wifi connection on this tv?

Do I need a WD router for this to work? I have an asus rt-n66u.... been trying to turn my old router running tomato into a wifi extender.... no luck. so i i can use this WD, it would do nicely.

For what it may help check out the manual

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705081.pdf

I doubt you need a certain brand. From what I see it just kinda blends in and once you have it set up it doesn't show up as a separate device. It actually uses the name of your main router which amazed me. I thought I would have to keep connecting and disconnecting to different device but in my wifi search on my device just my main router shows up but with full signal .

Do I need a WD router for this to work? I have an asus rt-n66u.... been trying to turn my old router running tomato into a wifi extender.... no luck. so i i can use this WD, it would do nicely.

Yes... putting it half way, between your router and whatever device is currently having issues may resolve most of your connectivity issues. If you're having connectivity issues and you have dual band, I recommend you stay with the 2.4 GHz setup. The 5GHz setup is greatly affected by walls and other obstacles. Of course, if you don't have a dual band router, forget what I said about 5GHz. You'll be dealing exclusively with 2.4GHz.

MeIsCheap said:   I think they listed a feature you aren't going to ever get on a router:

Find the right spot easily.
The dual Thunderbolt ports allow you to daisy chain more drives for more speed and higher capacity. Connect a Thunderbolt display and other Thunderbolt-enabled peripherals to achieve maximum efficiency and productivity.

I have a feeling this is a mistake in the product description. It doesn't match the picture next to it and it makes no sense. I would like to see what happens if I could connect a Thunderbolt monitor right to my network...

nice deal op

fwbrowser said:   Do I need a WD router for this to work? I have an asus rt-n66u.... been trying to turn my old router running tomato into a wifi extender.... no luck. so i i can use this WD, it would do nicely.

Yes... putting it half way, between your router and whatever device is currently having issues may resolve most of your connectivity issues. If you're having connectivity issues and you have dual band, I recommend you stay with the 2.4 GHz setup. The 5GHz setup is greatly affected by walls and other obstacles. Of course, if you don't have a dual band router, forget what I said about 5GHz. You'll be dealing exclusively with 2.4GHz.

To fully answer your question, no you do not need a WD router.   you need a wireless router.  The setup was fairly easy, (took 2 tries) but connected easily with my Motorola surfboard modem, and gave me full bars upstairs, where I used to struggle. 

found one in store, and should have bought 2 at that price.

Wads

gmangut said:   I got one. Got home set up is a breeze. Works amazingly great! Full bars now around the whole house. Thanks op
  Just a heads up...  just because you have full bars doesn't necessarily mean you have a great connection.  In fact, you might not be online at all.  I use an extender in an out building on my property because I get a really weak signal from my home router out there.  Sometimes, the signal is so weak that the extender can't connect at all.  However, when I'm in the out building, my phone, tablet and laptop all say I have full bars... but the full bars are my connection to the extender, which isn't connected to the router, so I can't connect to the internet.  This extender is great to amplify a signal, as long as the signal is strong enough to reach the extender.  If the signal is really weak there may be times when the extender can't connect to your network.  

Note the Amazon  and  Staples  reviews   are not the most thrilled.  And yes ...this is true of most WiFi products ..but yo might want to glance at a few.
Still plan to get one ..   but  just a heads up.

waste of money . bought from Staples last month for around $20 and return it after trying it for a 15 days.

dseth said:   waste of money . bought from Staples last month for around $20 and return it after trying it for a 15 days.
  Why ?   What was wrong ?
Educate us ... share !

Deal dead?!?  Can't get it to add to cart!

Edit: I chatted with a rep through their online Chat ... He told me he couldn't help with placing the order, since the website won't allow making the purchase from some stores.  I said I'm not trying to purchase from a store, or even to have it shipped to a store for instore pickup.   I want it shipped to me, like the add-to-cart error said I could select.  Basically, he said no dice if the website isn't allowing it. 

Sk8terboy said:   Deal dead?!?  Can't get it to add to cart!

Edit: I chatted with a rep through their online Chat ... He told me he couldn't help with placing the order, since the website won't allow making the purchase from some stores.  I said I'm not trying to purchase from a store, or even to have it shipped to a store for instore pickup.   I want it shipped to me, like the add-to-cart error said I could select.  Basically, he said no dice if the website isn't allowing it. 

Sorry to hear that. I just tried to add it to my cart and on the first try it worked ("This product has been added to your cart"). Only one of 9 stores around me show in stock instead of the 7 stores with stock yesterday. The good news is that when I click on my cart, the item is there. The bad news (depending on how you look at it) is that it is back in stock, so shipping is no longer free under $50.

muskiemyke said:   gmangut said:   I got one. Got home set up is a breeze. Works amazingly great! Full bars now around the whole house. Thanks op
  Just a heads up...  just because you have full bars doesn't necessarily mean you have a great connection.  In fact, you might not be online at all.  I use an extender in an out building on my property because I get a really weak signal from my home router out there.  Sometimes, the signal is so weak that the extender can't connect at all.  However, when I'm in the out building, my phone, tablet and laptop all say I have full bars... but the full bars are my connection to the extender, which isn't connected to the router, so I can't connect to the internet.  This extender is great to amplify a signal, as long as the signal is strong enough to reach the extender.  If the signal is really weak there may be times when the extender can't connect to your network.  

Very true indeed but extender also shows on the side how much signal it's getting from the actual main device . Mine views halfway and I've tried it in the worst dead spots and still receive connection with about only a 10% tops decrease in speed which is not a problems for me instead of not having signal at all.

NLA for me in KC.

What's really nice about this device is that it can get its connectivity from Ethernet if you want.

OOS online.

went to the store they had 2 no indication on the shelf that these were 14.99 but indeed they were thanks again..hope it works for me.

Scored!

I looked online yesterday and it said my store had three in stock..went to my store and guess what...they had three there..lol
Sticker on the end cap listing the price still stated it was in the $70.00 range but it range up correctly.

Now to learn more about home networking as I am having one heck of an issue with everything....from my brand new modem to the Airport Extreme...I have yet to install this because of those issues.....UUGGHHH
(Subtle hint if anyone has a good site to learn more about all of this..lol)

Never tried their wi-if stuff b4. I'd be interested to know if it has any issues.

UPRRSLO....I seem to find a big split whenever I look at comments for any type WIFI device. not sure why some are hugely successful and others are total failure...maybe technical skills???

billtmore said:   UPRRSLO....I seem to find a big split whenever I look at comments for any type WIFI device. not sure why some are hugely successful and others are total failure...maybe technical skills???

Almost always it's people tech skills that make or break this type of product. To be fair, some things SHOULD be simpler while others are just beyond average folks who then write poor reviews of a product because THEY couldn't get it to work though it actually works fine (or better) for those who can.

Now listed on the website as "Not Sold Online" and "Sold in stores only"

Got one!!!   Had been looking for a deal on one of these for months!  Thanks!!

Heads up to folks getting in on this. I ordered the one from Staples last month. Set up was a breeze AFTER getting the manual from their website (no manual comes in the box). However, the darn thing kept dropping my wifi signal. It would lose the signal almost once every two hours and then I would have to power it off and on to get the signal back. It'd take about 2 minutes to reconnect. Anyway, I figured I got a dud, so exchanged it for another one. It's now been about 3 weeks and it has not dropped the wifi signal once so if you got a lemon, definitely try doing an exchange before committing to a full return.

By the way, the strength indicator on the side is practically worthless. It shows three dots (i.e., half way) no matter how far the system was from my wifi router. It could be sitting right next to the router or two floors up from the wifi router in the garage and it would still show three dots.

I'm glad that so many people were able to get in on this deal. Thanks to everyone who provided technical insights into this device and even those who asked the questions that prompted people to post their advice. When mine is finally shipped, I'll be rereading this thread, LOL.

in 4-1, backordered! Thanks OP!! GREENN!!

there was a very detailed setup procedure that i emailed to my daughter who is going to try to set this up on her own
maybe it will be helpful
it is the 2nd review down by Rbhatta
http://www.amazon.com/Net-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender-universal/product...

Skipping 21 Messages...
I hadn't seen this thread but walked into Office Depot just to see what was available.    This was marked down to $8.97.  Got last one.  wow.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014