• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Refurbished: Roku 2 XS 1080p HD Streaming Media Player W/ Motion Sensor Control Angry Birds -
Disclaimer

Newegg
See Newegg discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Sam's Club has a better deal on a new unit

zander57 said:   Sam's Club has a better deal on a new unit
  Gas, time, membership...

I got a question. If I have a blu ray on my computer and want to wirelessly stream it to my TV downstairs but need something like a large buffer (and some loading time to do so), would this do?

Also what are Channels for Roku? I imagine you have to pay for those channels a subscription?

How would it work with newer MKVs and ISO files?

My current setup is a PSMedia server and TVersity transcoding to my PS3 which sometimes detects the server and sometimes doesn't. It also is super slow at loading.

itzcuzimuslim said:   I got a question. If I have a blu ray on my computer and want to wirelessly stream it to my TV downstairs but need something like a large buffer (and some loading time to do so), would this do?

Also what are Channels for Roku? I imagine you have to pay for those channels a subscription?

My current setup is a PSMedia server and TVersity transcoding to my PS3 which sometimes detects the server and sometimes doesn't. It also is super slow at loading.

Most channels are free.  I've never paid for one.

It doesn't actually play the MKV or ISO, you would need a server/pc to host and stream those via DLNA -- somehting like Plex Media Server works very well.

I used to use PS3 + PMS, this would be similar for local content.  The selling point is all the remote stuff.

dehemke said:   Most channels are free.  I've never paid for one.

+1.

Because Comcast will soon be turning off QAM HDTV here, if they do not offer a discount promo for upgrading to their own HD converter box, I will be cutting the cable and going completely with streaming and OTA.

Will be missing a boat load of live sports and sports talk, but will be saving $80 per month thanks to Roku.

We really like our Roku 2 XS, and have an Amazon Prime subscription for unlimited streaming of really outstanding programming. Highly recommended combo. We recently discontinued our DirecTV service due to unavailable signal at a new residence. We had hesitated for a long time to "cut the cable," but are SO GLAD we finally did. We don't miss it at all. Ironically, DTV has called us 6 times to ask us why we discontinued their service! During the last such call, I told them AGAIN that their tech couldn't get a signal at our house, and that this call had better be their last....

itzcuzimuslim said:   I got a question. If I have a blu ray on my computer and want to wirelessly stream it to my TV downstairs but need something like a large buffer (and some loading time to do so), would this do?

I really hate this new editor.  How do I split the quoted part and respond separately to different points?

1) No the Roku will not stream your BR player to another television.
2) Lots of channel lists on the right margin of http://thebeersoncomcast.wordpress.com -- scroll down to 4. Internet TV, look for Roku channels.  many are free, but the good ones cost money...go figure...
3a) There is a USB port and you can play files off an attached drive.  Specs here.
3b) You can stream files off a server like Plex.  Plex + Roku is great as long as you do not have to transcode -- transcoding can disappoint depending on your files and server.

good price but its not the version 3 thats been out for a long time already with a much nicer interface and faster processor

anndesikis said:   good price but its not the version 3 thats been out for a long time already with a much nicer interface and faster processor

Version 3 is also 2X the cost...pretty tough to argue it is 100% better than the 2XS.

anndesikis said:   good price but its not the version 3 thats been out for a long time already with a much nicer interface and faster processor
The Roku 2 XS is my favorite Roku. It has composite and hdmi outputs, so it works with older televisions as well as modern HDTVs. You can use the composite audio to drive an auxiliary input on a home theater so that you can turn your tv off while enjoying internet radio or your MP3 collection on the Roku. The XS also has a usb port, so you can connect a usb disk full of videos or MP3s. The R2XS also has both wired and wireless ethernet. In my experience, the wireless radio is very good. Reburbs are good as new! Roku warrants refurbs with the same 90 warranty you get with a new model and the refurbs are mostly open box returns, so the discount is real. I had a problem with a remote which came with a refurbished Roku 2 XS. I clicked the chat link on the Roku support page and, after a few minutes of troubleshooting, they shipped me a new remote. Roku stands behind their refurbs.

The Roku 2's cpu is fast enough to decode 1080p.  The R3's faster CPU is useful only to play [awful] games and scroll through the menus VERY fast.  R3 users complain that the interface lags so much after a few hours of scrolling really, really fast that they have to reboot the machine.

The R3 sets up its own wireless network to send signals from the remote to the Roku and audio from the Roku to the remote.  Each R3 has it's own WLAN.  Do you really want four or five additional wireless networks competing with your microwave?  

And, yeah, you can get two of these for the price of one R3.

cpabster said:   

Version 3 is also 2X the cost...pretty tough to argue it is 100% better than the 2XS.

yeah it is 2x the cost but its been out for some time , soon there will be a new release to that and 2 xs will really be old as even now it is.. I imagine a computer from few yeas ago would cost less than one today, so you get what you pay for...

2xs older version 3 been out for many months, soon a new release ,, meaning 2xs very old like getting windows 95 vs windows 7

dehemke said:   

It doesn't actually play the MKV or ISO, you would need a server/pc to host and stream those via DLNA -- somehting like Plex Media Server works very well.

I used to use PS3 + PMS, this would be similar for local content.  The selling point is all the remote stuff.

How much end up cost you per year?  I am new to this service and assume you need to pay some type of fee to get activate or monthly/yearly service.

speedy777 said:   
dehemke said:   

How much end up cost you per year?  I am new to this service and assume you need to pay some type of fee to get activate or monthly/yearly service.

nope once you buy the unit its free all though there a some premium channels like Netflix and others that charge a fee,, abut yet some that go around the system..

Oh and I love my Roku 3 !

anndesikis said:     nope once you buy the unit its free all though there a some premium channels like Netflix and others that charge a fee,, abut yet some that go around the system.

Another +1.  Have 2 Roku's going. $40 each and no extra cost at all other than electricity (and possibly HDMI cables).  If you do not count electricity, they are $0 per month.

anndesikis said:   
cpabster said:   

yeah it is 2x the cost but its been out for some time , soon there will be a new release to that and 2 xs will really be old as even now it is.. I imagine a computer from few yeas ago would cost less than one today, so you get what you pay for...

2xs older version 3 been out for many months, soon a new release ,, meaning 2xs very old like getting windows 95 vs windows 7d

The main difference is the Roku 3 vs this Roku 2 is the Roku 3 has a new processor inside.  From what I've read, the processor is 5 x faster than the Roku 2.  What that means in terms of user experience I have no idea.   I've never used any Roku, but they look pretty cool.

JiggleTheHandle said:   
anndesikis said:     nope once you buy the unit its free all though there a some premium channels like Netflix and others that charge a fee,, abut yet some that go around the system.

Another +1.  Have 2 Roku's going. $40 each and no extra cost at all other than electricity (and possibly HDMI cables).  If you do not count electricity, they are $0 per month.

I know this is an old post, but I just got 1 and in process of setting it up.  It ask to enter the code at Roku.com/link.  Then fill out personal information and credit card so I am not sure there will be any fees or not.  Can someone tell me if there is some type of fee if not subscribe to Netflix, etc..

speedy777 said:     I know this is an old post, but I just got 1 and in process of setting it up.  It ask to enter the code at Roku.com/link.  Then fill out personal information and credit card so I am not sure there will be any fees or not.  Can someone tell me if there is some type of fee if not subscribe to Netflix, etc..

It's been a long time since I set up my Roku's, but I don't think I was every charged anything.

I think that for one of the setups, I may have noticed a way to skip putting in credit card info.
If I couldn't, I would setup a one time used credit card with a $1 limit.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014