• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Product DescriptionCraftsman DC Garage Door Opener: Dependable Like Nothing ElseBacked by Diehard power, this Garage Door Opener DC Belt system delivers smooth opens, secure closes and powerful illumination even when the rest of the house is pitch black. Solid, dependable and loaded with cutting edge technological features, this opener senses movement in the garage and turns the light on for you. In addition to lighting your path, it displays the time and temperature along with displaying info in multiple languages.The built-in PosiLock® System delivers a level of tightly sealed garage security that you’ll wish the rest of the house had, and if you’re short of keys, no problem. With a wireless, keyless entry pad system, just punch in your four digit pin code and gain access to your garage in seconds. Powerful, convenient and backed-up to weather power outtages, the Craftsman DC Garage Door Opener delivers every time you pull into the drive way. Go ahead, strap this machine to your garage ceiling and get dependable operation that’s built Craftsman tough.  

• Includes power unit, two remotes, control console, wireless keyless entry pad, battery back-up unit, safety sensors, rail, hardware, operators manual
  • The Craftsman Garage Door Opener DC Belt with 3/4 HPS® works even when there’s a power outage
  • Belt drive and DC motor for ultra quiet operation and soft-start/stop performance
  • DieHard® DC Battery back-up is always charged allowing door control, safety sensors and remote controls to operate on battery power for 20 open/close cycles
  • Includes 2 Security +® 3-function remotes are perfect for multi-car families
  • LCD Smart-Motion Detecting control console opens and closes door from inside garage while sensing your presence and turning on opener lights automatically
  • Provides time, temperature, light and lock settings and system diagnostic messages
  • Wireless keyless entry pad allows access to garage without a key or remote using a secure 4-digit programmable PIN
  • Security +® Anti-Burglary Coding rolling code changes every time button on the remote is pushed
  • PosiLock® System securely locks door when it is down preventing intruders from entering garage
  • Manual Release Capability allows you to manually open or close garage door
  • Safety reversing sensors create an invisible beam that senses any obstruction in the way of the closing door and automatically reverses door before contact is made
  • HomeLink® with QuickTrain™ Technology
  • Light delay feature turns lights off after a maximum of 4-1/2 minutes
  • Extension kits to complete installation for 8' and 10' doors are available
  • Professional installation available
  • Weighs 38.9 lbs.
  • Warranty: 10 year motor; 3 year parts

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-dc-belt-drive-garage-door-opener-with/p-00953918000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

This product comes with:

Sears
See Sears promo codes that earn 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

craftsman (84.44kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Cycling the batteries shouldn't help, lead-acid batteries don't like to be cycled.

If you don't like the battery, you don... (more)

HappyScrappyHeroPup (Sep. 03, 2013 @ 7:23p) |

I noticed that on this unit, after properly setting the open and closed stop positions (which are electronic and not mec... (more)

rsuaver (Sep. 04, 2013 @ 5:23p) |

Thanks. Just ordered one to replace a 20+year craftsman that is pretty loud in our new home. Hope the installation isn't... (more)

brokedude (Sep. 10, 2013 @ 9:38a) |

Link to manual here
  • Also categorized in:

Any codes/coupons to sweeten the deal?

NOTE:  Used the 15off plus $3 off in shop rewards that just came out and bonus 25% points...  Will replace a 20+ year Genie chain drive recently started to fail.   But need new springs as the ones I put in about 8 years ago are a bit week.  Opening the door halfway thru closes the door pretty fast.  IRRC I just bought them based on the color of the existing ones instead of properly weighing them.  PITA to change but did it once, so I can do it again...

I have this and it is quieter

SAVE15 = Save $15

rsuaver said:   Any codes/coupons to sweeten the deal?
  SAVE15 for $15 off $75, bringing it to $164.99 total

Dont forget 10% discover discount

Is this unit noisy?

I replaced an old chain drive opener with this one and let me tell you, HUGE difference. No longer have to worry about waking my small children by opening/closing the garage door.

I just put two of these up in our new build. Very quiet and easy to install. The first one took quite a bit longer to install as I had never put one up and the instructions were very confusing, to me anyway. I think they could have done a bit better with the instructions. The second one went up in about 2 hrs. I bought mine when they were on sale back in January or so for 199, I think. Then in March they went on sale for 169 +/- and I called Sears to get the new sale price. They didn't want to do it but I said then I'll just return and rebuy as they haven't been open and the manager said ok. I'd recommend this door.

Does the motor run on DC ?
How about the lights?
If DC.... What kind of bulbs then?

Appelski said:   Does the motor run on DC ?
How about the lights?

Believe its DC backup, primary source is AC.

I would think they would use a DC motor if this is designed to run on battery backup.

bm22 said:   I would think they would use a DC motor if this is designed to run on battery backup.

yes, but this doesn't run on DC 24/7, obviously it's plugged into some outlet source for juice, even if that juice charges the battery.

How about the lights?

Updated summary with proper link to the manual.  Takes regular bulbs and 110 3 prong plug

MISTERCHEAP said:   
bm22 said:   I would think they would use a DC motor if this is designed to run on battery backup.

yes, but this doesn't run on DC 24/7, obviously it's plugged into some outlet source for juice, even if that juice charges the battery.

The motor is DC and will be driven by a power supply and/or  motor controller built into the unit. When you lose AC power it is much simpler to control or drive a DC motor from battery power.

Is 3/4 HP too much for a single garage door? The one I have now is 1/2 HP.

It's not too much....it lifts at a constant speed....just because your door is small it isn't going to pick it up any faster.

I heard the backup battery is useless because you don't loose power that often. When you out of power...the battery already dead.

speedy777 said:   I heard the backup battery is useless because you don't loose power that often. When you out of power...the battery already dead.

Loose power?

In general, I was researching couple of months back and guys at my home installed Belt Drive Lift Master, it is quite and my Chamberlain is like big tractor running, so Belt Drive indeed is good and battery backup comes very handy once in while. For me it happened only once in five years when I neeed it. Good deal.

Wow thanks a lot OP! Mine 15+ years old is dying and I need a weekend project.

SAVE15 knocks the sale tax off for me

speedy777 said:   I heard the backup battery is useless because you don't loose power that often. When you out of power...the battery already dead.
  It charges the battery constantly. It even has a display showing how full the battery is, I just checked mine, it's 3 bars (out of 3).

I have seen it show less than 3 bars before, but that was only once and the power didn't go out at that time.

So every time my power has gone out, the battery backup has worked for me.

The battery back up is good and bad. I have one of these. It is a little older than the current model but works the same. My problem is that the battery goes bad. Even when never used. I installed mine about 3 years ago and I just installed the 3rd battery. Aftermarket batteries run anywhere rom $15-$75. I was told to simulate power outages in order to cylce the battery and it "should" last longer.

I have a 9' wide x 8' high garage door. Will this opener work, or will I need an extender?
Most newer homes have the wider opening than years ago.

This deal makes it cheaper than the one without battery backup.  The motion sensor panel is a plus and a decent warranty.

SSi said: Is this unit noisy?
No. You would bearly hear it. Just make sure to clean the garage door tracks and install good & quiet rollers.

I wonder how long this deal will be available for. I need one for my new house, but we aren't getting the keys until 9/20, and I don't feel like adding this box to the movers list.

Thanks OP, I'll give this a try, my wife's door has been acting up lately.

"Craftsman DC Garage Door Opener"
"Garage Door Opener DC"
"Craftsman DC Garage Door Opener"
"Garage Door Opener DC"

I don't see DC mentioned anywhere, but the motor is DC because when there's battery backup, it's probably easier to use a low voltage DC motor than a high voltage AC motor because a 12VDC-to-120VAC inverter would have to be rated for over 600W.    OTOH the lightbulbs are 120V, even though 12V bulbs are readily available at every car parts store. 

This is a quiet opener because all Chamberlain/Craftsman/Liftmaster belt drive units are made to be quiet.  It's not the type of drive that determines the noise level but the motor, and the main factor in noise seems to be the brushes, which are enclosed to muffle them.  Sears used to have an demo display in their stores that let people compare their belt drive and chain drive openers by operating the motors, but neither motor was attached to a chain or belt.  Actually even the chain drive Chamberlains made now are quiet.

The batteries are lead-acid, just like the kind used in computer backup supplies, so they don't last long.  Also some people have complained that failing batteries swell up and start dripping on their cars, despite the batteries being sealed and the openers having a plastic enclosure for the battery.

8' segmented track doors probably need an extension kit, about $45 from Sears or $27 from Sam's Club.  OTOH many 1-piece pivoted 8' doors will open and close fully with just the standard 7' track.

Unit is SO quiet... Installed it over the long weekend... Couple of notes:

* Some items are packed inside the unit itself where the bulbs would go (the remote sensors and external wireless keypad)
* Brackets for drywall ceilings are not included - you'll need to get one and corresponding mounting bolt/nut/washer to mount to the included brackets
* Belt tensioner shown on the manual is different than what was packed. The online instructions (posted above) do correspond on how to properly install it.

rsuaver said:   =13px* Belt tensioner shown on the manual is different than what was packed. The online instructions (posted above) do correspond on how to properly install it.

One way to verify the tension of flat belts is by pinching the belt by hand, roughly midway between the pulleys, and twisting.  A lot of belts will twist almost exactly 90 degrees when the tension is right.

Cycling the batteries shouldn't help, lead-acid batteries don't like to be cycled.

If you don't like the battery, you don't have to install it, it'll work fine without it.

This motor is "DC" because honestly, they're cheaper for the same performance now. This motor can provide speed when lightly loaded and it can step down in speed, increasing the torque when the door binds. AC synchronous motors only operate properly at one speed when driven directly off AC power as an normal-style garage door opener does.

This allows them to claim 3/4HP with a motor that doesn't nearly output 3/4HP nor consume the 500W it would take to do so. It provides the lifting capacity of a 3/4HP AC synchronous motor, but it has to step down in speed to do it. I never see mine step down except when running off battery.

Servo-driven motors like this one http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brushless_DC_electric_motor are much quieter than AC synchronous motors, they don't make the "grinding" vibration typical for low-frequency motors (60Hz of AC power) and that makes them a lot quieter.

Why are "DC" motors cheaper now? Because they are smaller. Smaller means less materials in it, which means less cost. It means less cost to ship it and the motors are always shipped from overseas now (whether the unit is Made in the USA or not). So the motor is a bit cheaper, but it's quieter and the speed controller/inverter required to drive it now is the same price or cheaper than the price difference between an AC synchronous motor and this smaller controller-driven motor.

HappyScrappyHeroPup said:   
This allows them to claim 3/4HP with a motor that doesn't nearly output 3/4HP nor consume the 500W it would take to do so. It provides the lifting capacity of a 3/4HP AC synchronous motor, but it has to step down in speed to do it. I never see mine step down except when running off battery.

I noticed that on this unit, after properly setting the open and closed stop positions (which are electronic and not mechanical trigger like my older model) it slows down when closing and before reaching the ground.

The panel does indicate the time and temperature and does mention code status like returned from power or battery charging.  Very pleased with it and hope it lasts at least half of what the other unit I had lasted (25+ years).

Thanks. Just ordered one to replace a 20+year craftsman that is pretty loud in our new home. Hope the installation isn't too difficult. I've never installed one before. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014