• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Guys, any other ms options w/o ap (don't have a b anymore) and bb (recently closed serve, have to wait) to start with?

Raj4Deals said:   Sams Club Discover Card doesn't qualify for 5% Cash Back for online purchases.

That gave me an idea. Will Sams Club purchases online count? I've just got the regular Discover card and not the Sams one.
If it does count...... what about in store pickup?
I don't see many ways to get discounts at Sams and Discover took away the membership card deal .

Bought $1500 gc from giftcardmall.com. Discover said they would credit my account with $75 Cb , next cycle. Am planning to lod these GCs onto my BB.

oradbatic said:   Bought $1500 gc from giftcardmall.com. Discover said they would credit my account with $75 Cb , next cycle. Am planning to lod these GCs onto my BB.
   Ok, what is BB? Wow, this thread has a lot of codes- the only 2 I figured out are SD (shop Discover), and I can't recall the other already! Oh, cb=Cash Back

Blackberry, I'm guessing.

Freeduh said:   
oradbatic said:   Bought $1500 gc from giftcardmall.com. Discover said they would credit my account with $75 Cb , next cycle. Am planning to lod these GCs onto my BB.
   Ok, what is BB? Wow, this thread has a lot of codes- the only 2 I figured out are SD (shop Discover), and I can't recall the other already! Oh, cb=Cash Back

A couple of more to help you.... GC = gift card and OP = original poster .

Connman said:   Blackberry, I'm guessing.
BB = Bluebird  

Thanks y'all! 'BB = Bluebird' ? That's crazy- thanks for the link. I'd never heard of it before and I have an Amex card! WalMart in bed w/ Amex is too much for my mind to absorb at the moment so I'm out!

Anyone tried funding serve account via discover? Is that coded as online purchase and got 5% back?

nanga said:   Anyone tried funding serve account via discover? Is that coded as online purchase and got 5% back?

Might work, but it may be categorized as "services" which won't count. Discover told me only products will get Cash Back. Why don't you try a small amount to test (like $5). Then check next statement.

I recently bought a few physical products off eBay, used PayPal to pay (Discover card as payment) and they were all coded as "services." I called Discover to complain. They said they would put note on account and it should be credited within two billing cycles. Sucks.

likethemcheap said:   Will gift card purchase at target.com or WalMart.com qualify? The terms are not clear.

Pretty sure they do not have visibility into what you bought.  ShopDiscover is different because the merchant has certain terms and conditions and decides if you met them and then sends the money to Discover who credits you.  Even then, I'm not sure that ShopDiscover has visibility into what you bought; money spent on gift cards simply doesn't get reported to them.

That said, I have to ask... What the heck is AP?

As a side note, I'm curious why people like gift cards so much.  The best gift card I've seen on their website (neglecting the Shell card, which was in a league of its own) is probably $25 Staples for $20.  But the fundamental problem is if I buy something at Staples I'm paying 6% sales tax and passing up on 5+% CashBack.  So, let's say I get $200 of gift cards which I want to monetize with FAR.  I'm losing 11% off the top, plus the cost of the stamp, and if I get a visa gc then I have to pay another 2.7% to monetize that.  So is it worth more than cash?  Yeah, it is... but its at best 1.1:1 and an extra pain in the butt.  What am I missing?

hpmax said:   That said, I have to ask... What the heck is AP?This.

hpmax said:   What am I missing?Not much: (1) sales tax is not universal, (2) some $-off coupons stack with FAR, (3) a $25 Staples GC costs $20, but can be sold for $21-22. Lands End can be similarly gamed / upgraded for more value. Sams Club was good too, but I think it's gone now. Most of the time it's not worth the hassle.

One other note -- anecdotal evidence from my statements suggests that statement credit counts against the quarterly bonus category. I spent $500 last year in a 5% category and redeemed $100 cb as a statement credit in the same cycle, and only received bonus on $400 (I've reconciled all cb -- it wasn't a timing issue). I didn't want anyone looking at my account over $5 so I let it go, but since then I plan on requesting checks instead of statement credit.

hpmax said:   
dollarshort said:   
hpmax said:   
unit9174 said:   I don't get it on my Discover Open Road card.

Yes, quarterly bonuses only apply to Discover More and Discover It.  Open Road has long since been abandoned, might as well convert the card to an It.  That's what I did.

That's what I did too, but in hindsight I wish I had kept that card and just applied for the It card. I miss the 2% back at restaurants.

Meh...  There are a few 2% on everything cards out there, and 3% on restaurants, and then Discover and Chase rotate 5% on those, and USBank can give you 5+% on restaurants... There's nothing about Open Road that you can't do better elsewhere.

I'm wondering how serious they are about no-utilities or government products or services (how about fines for instance).

Paid my ComEd electric bill last month.  No 5% on the utility charge, but did get 5% on the $2.50 BillMatrix charge for the convenience fee.

Chris.

PutThatCoffeeDOWN said:   
nanga said:   Anyone tried funding serve account via discover? Is that coded as online purchase and got 5% back?

Might work, but it may be categorized as "services" which won't count. Discover told me only products will get Cash Back. Why don't you try a small amount to test (like $5). Then check next statement.

I recently bought a few physical products off eBay, used PayPal to pay (Discover card as payment) and they were all coded as "services." I called Discover to complain. They said they would put note on account and it should be credited within two billing cycles. Sucks.

Just confirming that Serve load coded as Service and didn't generate 5% Cash Back. Talking to CSR was no help.

Anyone try IRS tax for the 5%?  Last year worked, but this year the offer states: does not apply to government products or services, -- and IRS taxes are coded as "government services."  Actually everything coded as "services" seems to be excluded now.  AP is still merchandise.

Also the 5% online shopping (Oct-Dec 2013) does not appear to apply to online grocers. Got my statement WalMart.com got 5% CashBack from purchase of electronics item, but not a WalmartToGo order of mostly but not all groceries. After the kind and helpful rep researched it on the phone today, she noted my account to give me the 5% which would a be $5+ additional dollars CashBack (the difference) on that purchase within 2 billing cycles. Also asked for a planned Dec order with Giant Peapod.com, rep said the 5% does not apply to that either. The rep said the etailer has to be on their list to get the 5% CashBack under this 4Q13 program. When questioned further, most large etailers included, but some smaller ones are not.

Forgot to ask her, anyone with experience here purchasing something from Wayfair.com and got the 5% CashBack under this 4Q13 program or not? Got a furniture purchase to do with them soon. If not, using a different credit card with at least a 1% reward.

All my Lowe's online order that I chose to pick up instore did not generate 5% CashBack, even though they were indeed ordered online.  Very annoyed.

They also make it difficult to see which transactions are and are not included. You end up having to do some math to figure out what subset of transactions comes out to the total you got.

ctliu517 said:   All my Lowe's online order that I chose to pick up instore did not generate 5% CashBack, even though they were indeed ordered online.  Very annoyed.
I had the same thing with Home Depot. Also some tickets I bought for a performance at a local theater showed up as the theater itself, rather than the ticket website that they use for online orders.

So did giftcardmall work or did you need ask for a manual adjustment?

chrispitude said:   They also make it difficult to see which transactions are and are not included. You end up having to do some math to figure out what subset of transactions comes out to the total you got.
  during my math, any transaction that was "manually" entered and not an "online" point of sale was excluded.  even after that, their math is screwed up.

It looks like I'm short for the second month in a row, after requesting corrections for the first month. Really annoying.

From the terms:
Offer does not apply to government products or services, education providers, utilities, or travel.

Does paying one's insurance premium online qualify? Seems like it should.

yoregano said:   From the terms:
Offer does not apply to government products or services, education providers, utilities, or travel.

Ask a magic 8-ball for what will and will not qualify. You will get a better answer. Discover randomly decides when to honor their terms.

billrubin said:   
ctliu517 said:   All my Lowe's online order that I chose to pick up instore did not generate 5% CashBack, even though they were indeed ordered online.  Very annoyed.
I had the same thing with Home Depot. Also some tickets I bought for a performance at a local theater showed up as the theater itself, rather than the ticket website that they use for online orders.

Going thru shop discover for Home Depot generates that 5% CashBack for online orders picked up, but not the 5% for online shopping this quarter. Doesn't make sense.  Discover needs to address this.

They also need to start disclosing which purchases generated CashBack on the bill.

Slightly OT, After this $75 CB thing, I'll have $400+ from Discover. What's the best options (value) to get the funds out?

I've been trying to stick with the 'stuff' guideline.  An insurance premium isn't something you can touch, so I wouldn't count on it passing muster (aka, I'll take the for sure 1% over the maybe 5%)...
I almost think that "government products or services..." should have been worded as "government products, services..." since it seems like any any services aren't included.

Connman said:   

I've been trying to stick with the 'stuff' guideline.  An insurance premium isn't something you can touch, so I wouldn't count on it passing muster (aka, I'll take the for sure 1% over the maybe 5%)...
I almost think that "government products or services..." should have been worded as "government products, services..." since it seems like any any services aren't included.

I've considered the same thing about that comma, should it be "government products or services" or "government products, services,...". Therein lies the rub. As the terms are currently worded, it seems things should be okay. But alas, we're all uncertain.

yoregano said:   
Connman said:   

I've considered the same thing about that comma, should it be "government products or services" or "government products, services,...". Therein lies the rub. As the terms are currently worded, it seems things should be okay. But alas, we're all uncertain.

Last year I paid my annual alarm monitoring company bill and it did not give me 5% Cash Back.  It was listed under services.

Agreed on being very difficult to know what qualifies and what doesn't.

I always link through ShopDiscover when purchasing Online and about 1/2 the time I have to followup a month or so later with an Online Discover CS Chat to ask why my Cash Back (CB) funds were never credited to my account.  After the Online Chat they usually appologize for the inconvienance and I see the rewards credited to my account in the next few days, however this is very annoying to almost ALWAYS have to do this.  I just hope they don't try the same mess with this years "Online Shopping" CB rewards because I'm practically at the $75 max.

Last Christmas (2012) my buddy and I both bought >$1000 flat screen LED TV's when ShopDiscover CB was at 10% and both of us had to jump through all kinds of hoop to FINALLY get our CB rewards, months after Christmas.  I'm sure there are plenty of others out there that have had the same experience.  It's a deceptive business practice for DiscoverCard to offer a ShopDiscover CB service to entice you to purchase through them and then Reluctantly give you your earned rewards.  It wouldn't supprise me if there is a Class Action Suit brought against them down the road for this questionable practice.

pezgarden said:   Slightly OT, After this $75 CB thing, I'll have $400+ from Discover. What's the best options (value) to get the funds out?

The best way you see fit? It's hard to tell you that because we don't know what your interests are.

To me, the best value is the $40 car rental certs from national that I can get for $20. National takes it without any questions asked, and it's like doubling my CB redemption.

I always link through ShopDiscover when purchasing Online and about 1/2 the time I have to followup a month or so later with an Online Discover CS Chat to ask why my Cash Back (CB) funds were never credited to my account.  After the Online Chat they usually appologize for the inconvienance and I see the rewards credited to my account in the next few days, however this is very annoying to almost ALWAYS have to do this.  I just hope they don't try the same mess with this years "Online Shopping" CB rewards because I'm practically at the $75 max.

Last Christmas (2012) my buddy and I both bought >$1000 flat screen LED TV's when ShopDiscover CB was at 10% and both of us had to jump through all kinds of hoop to FINALLY get our CB rewards, months after Christmas.  I'm sure there are plenty of others out there that have had the same experience.  It's a deceptive business practice for DiscoverCard to offer a ShopDiscover CB service to entice you to purchase through them and then Reluctantly give you your earned rewards.  It wouldn't supprise me if there is a Class Action Suit brought against them down the road for this questionable practice.

I must agree with this assessment...  I got my 5% online shopping CashBack but not my discover shopping portal CashBack.  I had to initiate a chat also... We'll see if this resolves anything.

kvs25 said:   
pezgarden said:   Slightly OT, After this $75 CB thing, I'll have $400+ from Discover. What's the best options (value) to get the funds out?

The best way you see fit? It's hard to tell you that because we don't know what your interests are.

To me, the best value is the $40 car rental certs from national that I can get for $20. National takes it without any questions asked, and it's like doubling my CB redemption.

Are there problems combining discount codes with the certificates?  My impression is that you can't reserve first and pay with the certificate later.

Zedok said:   
I always link through ShopDiscover when purchasing Online and about 1/2 the time I have to followup a month or so later with an Online Discover CS Chat to ask why my Cash Back (CB) funds were never credited to my account.  After the Online Chat they usually appologize for the inconvienance and I see the rewards credited to my account in the next few days, however this is very annoying to almost ALWAYS have to do this.  I just hope they don't try the same mess with this years "Online Shopping" CB rewards because I'm practically at the $75 max.

I must agree with this assessment...  I got my 5% online shopping CashBack but not my discover shopping portal CashBack.  I had to initiate a chat also... We'll see if this resolves anything.

IMO this is usually because of using a coupon or other promotion, which technically invalidates ShopDiscover. I won't say ShopDiscover is exactly reliable, but the times I don't use a coupon, the success rate is significantly higher. I don't consider it deceptive at all, the terms & conditions before you link to a merchant clearly state exclusions.

You can't really blame Discover because the way affiliate marketing works is if the merchant doesn't pay Discover, they shouldn't have to pay you. At least they do a fair job of manually making good if you feel like harassing them.

I'd have to double-check on the next statement, but I've had good success with the Q4 5% online shopping bonus (including in 2012). Surprisingly, paying my cable bill even qualified.

There is some bad news though, they are canceling Secure Online Account Numbers. They did it once before, but I doubt it's coming back this time.

Lot of my online purchase didn't qualify. Including donations, ticket, medical bills. All counted as service. Got burned hard.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014