• Go to page :
  • 1234 5
  • Text Only
video memory? https://www.google.com/#q=hp+desktop+beeping+8+times
saw that in the first listing

billtmore said:   video memory? https://www.google.com/#q=hp+desktop+beeping+8+times  
saw that in the first listing

Power button LED blinks 8 times with 8 beeps - BIOS or CMOS problem (ROM)
I've already tried Clearing the CMOS.

Not sure what to do next.

saw this on the same page
Beeps Description
1 Memory timing failure
2 Memory parity error
3 Memory read or write failure
4, 5, 6, 7 Fatal errors related to the operation of critical motherboard components - such as the CPU.
8 Video memory
AMI bios
I hate computer snafus

On the same page, they have "Example of LED conditions: click a menu item to view the condition"
Under there, the symptoms shown under "Invalid ROM Image Detected" is exactly what I am experiencing!

Further googling as well as HP_Support-site searches reveal there may be some utilities from corrupt ROM... wil ldig into those.

Meanwhile, I have contacted MoofiWoot, and have been assigned a trouble ticket. Not sure what they will recommend. Would hate to return this for a refund!

So Office 2013 was pre-loaded. This standard?
Any value to keeping it if we don't have a subscription?
I've already installed open office.

cubexco were you not putting in a dif video card and hard drive? is that when you got the error? if so you could go back to original config. wish i was an expert but i would be struggling too!!

billtmore said:   cubexco were you not putting in a dif video card and hard drive? is that when you got the error? if so you could go back to original config. wish i was an expert but i would be struggling too!!
All this is still with the original config. No hardware change at all.
As suspected, MoofiWoot came back with "we do not have any more units, but here's a prepaid return shipping label"....

I've posted this problem on the HP(dot)com support site too. Let's see if someone there responds.

i will be googling over the weekend ugh that was good of them to send you a prepaid there will be more computer deals as we get closer to Christmaqs..who knows maybe you will bump into a better config with and i5 at the same price

billtmore said:   i will be googling over the weekend ugh that was good of them to send you a prepaid there will be more computer deals as we get closer to Christmaqs..who knows maybe you will bump into a better config with and i5 at the same price
I agree, it is nice of them to send a prepaid return label and there's always that better deal down the road.
My searches so far, lead me to believe there is a way to run some UEFI tools off a USB Flash Drive, and recover from the corrupt BIOS. Trying to find the proper way to do it.

cubexco said:   I powered up the PC and it booted up to the USER screen. Win8 had already been activated (?)
Started updating drivers, rebooted a couple of times.
While updating the BIOS, it froze. So, I waited for about 5-8 mins and finally used the Power Button to switch it off and restart it. Upon restart, it beeps 8 times, during which the power LED stays yellow. After the 8 beeps, the power LED turns blue but no video on my monitor

Any ideas what I can try now?

From where did you obtain BIOS to upgrade the system. If it's from HP.com, that's the problem. It appears these systems aren't using genuine HP BIOS, or have had parts of the BIOS wiped clean, which may prevent HP BIOS from functioning. You may have bricked your system.

billtmore said:   i read something about making a recover usb with an empty 8 gig usb stick so I ordered a couple flash drives. I think i read it under recovery in the control panel. but i am sure someone with much more experience will reply
The process is described nicely here for both USB sticks and DVD discs:
http://www.howtogeek.com/131907/how-to-create-and-use-a-recovery...

An 8gb USB stick works perfectly (including copying the original RECOVERY PARTITION). During the process of creating the recovery USB stick, when you get to the CHECKBOX for copying  the RECOVERY PARTITION (which is  located on the PC's internal HDD),  I strongly recommend selecting this option. That'll copy the contents of that partition over to the USB stick (in addition to the rest of the recovery stuff that Windows 8 creates).  Once copied over to the USB stick, you can delete the RECOVERY PARTITION from the internal hdd, freeing up almost 15GB of space (which can then be extended onto one of your existing partitions).  You may want to create a few RECOVERY USB sticks first (before deleting the RECOVERY PARTITION off the internal HDD), as who knows how long data actually lasts on USB flash drives.

After creating my Recovery USB stick, I decided to "Reset My PC" using the Windows 8 built-in function for doing so. That process restored the PC back to true factory fresh settings (before a user account was created) while retaining all drivers and pre-installed software, such as Office 2013.  Interestingly, it also retained the same Windows Activation Date.

Finally, for those who loathe the Metro Interface, you can get the Start button back w/ StartIsBack . It includes a free 30 day trial, then $3 for a registered version (good for 2 PC's) or $5 for a registered version (good for 5 PC's). Also found a few hacks for it, where one hack resets the 30 day window (but deletes your customized StartIsBack settings), another hack replaces some of the package's DLL's files, effectively causing it to function as a registered product (without losing your customized settings).

http://www.classicshell.net/

I used this to bring the start bar back, its free. Love it!

I would also be curious where Cubexco got the Bios Update as I was thinking of doing this myself! Maybe not anymore.

Regardless, this systems screams! Used Acronis to backup the C Drive and then loaded it to a SSD... Now we are cookin.

Rick505 said:   Processor AMD FX(tm)-6200 Six-Core Processor 7.5
Determined by lowest subscore

Memory (RAM) 10.0 GB 7.5
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 7570 6.7
Gaming graphics 6887 MB Total available graphics memory 6.7
Primary hard disk 1349GB Free (1382GB Total) 5.9
Windows 8 Single Language

I replaced all of the pre-installed (PC3-12800) RAM with 2 kits of PNY Optima 8 GB Kit (2 x 4GB), PC3-10666  (so 4 x 4GB total) as I already had this RAM sitting around. Alhough it's slower rated RAM than what the system came with (PC3-10666 vs. PC3-12800), I figured 16GB (of true dual channel RAM) was better than 8GB (of dual channel ram) or 10GB (of likely non-dual channel ram) for my needs. I also like that the PNY RAM has heat spreaders.

Even w/ the "slower" PC3-10666 RAM installed, I get the identical Windows Experience Index scores which Rick505 got in quote above. I haven't yet run a more in-depth performance benchmark but am anyway not worried about a speed hit due to (marginally) slower RAM.

TheDiggler said:   From where did you obtain BIOS to upgrade the system. If it's from HP.com, that's the problem. It appears these systems aren't using genuine HP BIOS, or have had parts of the BIOS wiped clean, which may prevent HP BIOS from functioning. You may have bricked your system.
 The new BIOS was from HP.com

Apparently, I should be able to create a HP_TOOLS partition on a USB drive and install their "UEFI Support Environment", however, the creation utility fails. Wonder if it's because I'm running the utility on my Win7 PC.

cubexco said:   Apparently, I should be able to create a HP_TOOLS partition on a USB drive and install their "UEFI Support Environment", however, the creation utility fails. Wonder if it's because I'm running the utility on my Win7 PC.
Given that it needs to be a FAT32 or FAT partition, I seriously doubt it matters from what OS you're creating that partition from. You should be able to create it under Win98, Win2000/ME, WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8, etc.

Also noticed you started a thread @ HP's Support Form (link). Hopefully one of the gurus there will be able to provide better guidance.

H8-12534 Motherboard BIOS_REC Jumper Block
Disclaimer
TheDiggler said:   Given that it needs to be a FAT32 or FAT partition, I seriously doubt it matters from what OS you're creating that partition from. You should be able to create it under Win98, Win2000/ME, WinXP, WinVista, Win7, Win8, etc.

Also noticed you started a thread @ HP's Support Form (link  ). Hopefully one of the gurus there will be able to provide better guidance.

Yes indeed, that's the thread I started. Not much help coming forth there, yet.

I was finally able to create the HP_TOOLS USB Drive by using a different USB thumb drive, but do not know how to boot up the PC into that drive. I've tried the "WIN Key + B" as well as the "4 Cursor keys" options.
Meanwhile, I noticed the motherboard has a block of jumpers labelled BIOS_REC. Seems like, this block of jumpers could be used to recover the BIOS, but I cannot find any information on how to use those jumpers.

TheDiggler said:   
An 8gb USB stick works perfectly (including copying the original RECOVERY PARTITION). During the process of creating the recovery USB stick, when you get to the CHECKBOX for copying  the RECOVERY PARTITION (which is  located on the PC's internal HDD),  I strongly recommend selecting this option. That'll copy the contents of that partition over to the USB stick (in addition to the rest of the recovery stuff that Windows 8 creates).  Once copied over to the USB stick, you can delete the RECOVERY PARTITION from the internal hdd, freeing up almost 15GB of space (which can then be extended onto one of your existing partitions).  You may want to create a few RECOVERY USB sticks first (before deleting the RECOVERY PARTITION off the internal HDD), as who knows how long data actually lasts on USB flash drives.

Regarding the highlighted statement above, it seems that copying the RECOVERY PARTITION (from the internal HDD) over to the RECOVERY DISK (USB stick) does not actually let you restore your system back to its factory fresh settings. I tested out my USB stick to do exactly that, trying various BIOS options (AHCI vs. IDE, Legacy Mode vs. Secure, etc.), and in all cases I kept getting the error: "Unable to reset your PC. A required drive partition is missing."

Thankfully, I made a complete backup of the PC fresh out of the box (using third party backup software), so I restored the PC from that backup. Even after doing a FULL SYSTEM RESTORE (inclusive of RECOVERY PARTITION), when booting from the RECOVERY DISK (USB stick), it still doesn't let the system be restored back to its factory fresh settings! Specifically, it continues to give the same error message about the missing required drive partition! At this point, I have no idea what useful purpose a RECOVERY DISK (USB stick) serves.

New recommendation: DON'T DELETE YOUR RECOVERY PARTITION (located on internal HDD) until/unless the issue w/ the RECOVERY DISK (USB stick) above gets resolved!

Here's a few threads on this subject:
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2334119 
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2350875

Kingston ValueRAM 4GB 1600MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL11 DIMM Desktop Memory KVR16N11/4
Disclaimer
8 gig of cheap compatible ram - Kingston value 2 pack of 4 gb - $40.

I ordered this from 3rd party for $25 after Amazon assured me it is a 2 pack. Well, they sent one stick instead of 2 so Amazon refunded my money, I installed it and it works.   

Anyone want to offer on the 2 gb stick I pulled out, shoot me a pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084IEU60/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I timed bootup w/the timer on my Iphone so this is approximate, but before installing the Evo SSD my bootup was about 35 seconds, shutdown 22 seconds.  Its now booting in 18 seconds, shutting down in 12.  Bear in mind I haven't installed much on my system yet other than virus software and Itunes so I dont have much running in my startup, but after quite a bit of tweaking my Samsung performance benchmark is as follows:

Sequential Read (MB/s):  533
Sequential Write (MB/s):  493
Random Read (IOPS):  5513
Random Write (IOPS):  38537

( I am running the Evo on Sata0, and a WD Black 1TB on Sata1)

well like i said somewhere I read that the HD are the bottleneck in the system so you have beaten that!thanks for taking the time to time it good to know if i see a deal on an SSD

You're welcome.

Just a heads up to all, when modifying BIOS make sure you access via Escape key as suggested at bootup, not the old familiar HP F10 key. I learned the hard way you'll see the old interface w/F10, but I couldn't get the ssd drive running well until I configured from Esc.

I sent an email to a sales rep @ Patriot inquiring about memory for our system; I pasted his reply below if any of y'all are considering upgrading to 16 or 32GB.

>>These Patriot kits will work for your system, 2 kits for a total of 32GB.
PSD316G1333K
PSD316G1600K
>>

thirddowndraw said:   8 gig of cheap compatible ram - Kingston value 2 pack of 4 gb - $40.

I ordered this from 3rd party for $25 after Amazon assured me it is a 2 pack. Well, they sent one stick instead of 2 so Amazon refunded my money, I installed it and it works.   

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0084IEU60/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

No longer listed as a "2 pack" in the product image (which is the only place I previoulsy saw it indicating that it was a "2 pack").

TheDiggler said:   
thirddowndraw said:   8 gig of cheap compatible ram - Kingston value 2 pack of 4 gb - $40.

No longer listed as a "2 pack" in the product image (which is the only place I previoulsy saw it indicating that it was a "2 pack").

This was a mess - 2 different CSR's assured me it was for 2 modules and twice Amazon sent sent only one. So after 3 orders (1 was third party) and 1 return and 2 refund,s I ended up with 2 sticks for the advertised price.  

Anyone else's dvd drive sound like a outboard in need of a tune-up?

• Get reliable performance from the AMD FX-6200 six-core processor
  • 6GB DDR3 memory – For multitasking power, expandable to 32GB
  • 1.5TB SATA hard drive has plenty of space to store your digital albums, music library and rich media files
  • Radeon HD 7570 graphics card with 2GB DDR3 dedicated memory for lush images with stunning detail
  • USB 3.0 has transmission speeds of up to 5 Gbit/s, which is 10 times faster than USB 2.0
  • SuperMulti DVD±RW drive – watch movies on your computer; read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats
  • The front-panel multimedia card reader makes it easy to transfer photos, music, and other files to and from your digital camera and other peripheral devices
  • Connect to a broadband modem or router with wired Ethernet, or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the built-in 802.11b/g/n wireless connection
  • Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3s players
  • Windows® 8 makes the things you do every day easier

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014