• Go to page :
  • 1 23
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

FreedomPop Free Wireless Internet Hotspots and USB Stick Modems Deal of the Day | Groupon
Disclaimer
Hello everyone,

I thought this was a great deal for anyone looking for a Freedompop hotspot or modem. Groupon is selling refurbished modems for a discounted price.

• $19.99 for a Freedom Stick Bolt 4G USB modem (PXU1960) ($49.99 list price)
  • $34.99 for a Freedompop Overdrive Pro mobile hotspot (SRA-SPOT-SP-01R) ($59.99 list price)
  • $49.99 for a Freedom Sleeve Rocket 4G mobile hotspot for iPod touch (IMW-C870W) ($99.99 list price)
  • $49.99 for a Freedom Spot Photon hotspot (IMW-C910W) ($99.99 list price)

All options include 2GB of free data for the first month, and 500MB of free data for each following month. For any extra data used, you will be charged on a pay as you go basis. An optional automatic top-up feature will fund your credit account $10 the first time you get within 100MB of the monthly capacity limit. This feature is enabled by default, but can be turned off at any time.

http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-freedompop-wireless-internet-hot...

Enjoy

Groupon
See Groupon coupons that earn 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

FreedomPop Wireless Internet Hotspots and USB Stick Modem
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Contacted Freedompop, they offered me a replacement battery, takes a week to get it, problem solved - hope that's it.

twinwoods (Oct. 08, 2013 @ 3:48p) |

He never answered what will happen to these devices once WiMAX goes dark.

Mastayau (Oct. 16, 2013 @ 11:37p) |

Got any stacks of paper that you're worried will blow away?

cestmoi123 (Oct. 17, 2013 @ 11:13a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Freedompop uses Clear's WiMax network and works pretty darn well in the areas where you get signal. Was able to watch Netflix on a drive from Austin to Dallas with only a couple dead spots.

Read some of the other threads on these Freedompop offers... they make you go through hoops to cancel the paid service and drop down to the free 500MB.

I suggest using a temporary credit card so you can cancel it if needed.

Good Luck!
SteveG

jeffreye said:   Freedompop uses Clear's WiMax network and works pretty darn well in the areas where you get signal. 

I agree. It is worth noting, however that the WiMax network is scheduled to be turned off forever in 2015. The WiMax modems will be obsolete at that point.

Have had the freedom pop hotspot since it became available in OC (9 months or so). Added their $2.99 / mo option for improved performance from the beginning. Very good for me as a standby - had a couple of business trips where hotel wifi sucked. Really bailed me out. Great service.

asuwest2 said:   Have had the freedom pop hotspot since it became available in OC (9 months or so). Added their $2.99 / mo option for improved performance from the beginning. Very good for me as a standby - had a couple of business trips where hotel wifi sucked. Really bailed me out. Great service.

They charge extra to get "improved performance"?

So those who does not pay this, they get "crappier" performance?

Was thinking about getting it, but having one more product to lug around
so I stick with tethering as I always will have my phone with me.

I use PDAnet app on my Samsung3 that lets me tether for free (of course data over 2gb a fee apply)

What is the major difference between the Overdrive and Photon hotspots?

Overdrive is 3G/4G while Photon is 4G only.

excoriatorb said:   
jeffreye said:   Freedompop uses Clear's WiMax network and works pretty darn well in the areas where you get signal. 

I agree. It is worth noting, however that the WiMax network is scheduled to be turned off forever in 2015. The WiMax modems will be obsolete at that point.

Where'd you get this info from?

sgogo said:   Read some of the other threads on these Freedompop offers... they make you go through hoops to cancel the paid service and drop down to the free 500MB.

I suggest using a temporary credit card so you can cancel it if needed.

Good Luck!
SteveG

This is true. It is very difficult to reach their customer service and they do not return calls as far as I can tell. I tried for a week to cancel the paid trial service and go to the free 500MB service but never could. Now I am waiting to see if they will continue to bill me after I cancelled the account.

The wireless data service does work but their customer service does not.

Glenn

vetaldj said:   Overdrive is 3G/4G while Photon is 4G only.
  So, why would one pay $15 more for Photon if Overdrive can handle 4G also? Is there an advantage with Photon versus Overdrive. I am ready to pull the trigger but am not sure which one to commit to.

I think this deal is better:
3/4g hotspot and 1 extra gig of data the first month for the same $35
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1291979/

FWIW, the free plan includes only 4G WIMAX which is spotty, depending on location... For 3G (wider coverage) you need to buy a monthly plan...

Does any one know if Freedompop would be introducing LTE hotspots any time soon? And expected pricing?

I think Freedomspot does have LTE hotspot as http://www.freedompop.com/LTEhotspot shows.

yay. now my Sprint service will suck even more!

JonnyRock said:   I think this deal is better:
3/4g hotspot and 1 extra gig of data the first month for the same $35
http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1291979/

what's the difference between overdrive and MiFi 4082. I see overdrive gets 2 GB free data, and MiFi 4082 gets 3 GB free data the first month, but product wise, what's the difference?

So none of these is the 4g LTE hotspot?

coolVariable said:   So none of these is the 4g LTE hotspot?
No. That's a different device retailing for $149.

love4money said:   

So, why would one pay $15 more for Photon if Overdrive can handle 4G also? Is there an advantage with Photon versus Overdrive. I am ready to pull the trigger but am not sure which one to commit to.

Still looking for an answer...!

love4money said:   
love4money said:   

The Photon is MUCH smaller. Other than that, basically nothing.

If all I want is the free 500 MB/month as backup, is there a "how-to" guide somewhere out there? Thanks.

vanheve2 said:   
love4money said:   
love4money said:   

The Photon is MUCH smaller. Other than that, basically nothing.

Thanks so much! Stand-by battery life would be different too (with the size) I presume?  

Good luck for you if you have Freedom Pop. You need to deposit $99.00 for modem, when you cancel You need keep good box and instruction you nay lost that money if you don't have good box.. 

Renton said:   Good luck for you if you have Freedom Pop. You need to deposit $99.00 for modem, when you cancel You need keep good box and instruction you nay lost that money if you don't have good box.. 
  Unless I am somehow mistaken (please correct me) They no longer charge a deposit and return it when you send them back the modem. 
Modems are now purchased and are yours to keep. It appears you can change your service online through their web portal. 
I have not yet received my mifi but I was not charged $99 only the fee for the device.
I was able to turn off the auto top up on the website so I assume it wold be just as easy to cancel. 

I just ordered the OverDrive Pro for $37.61 after taxes shipped to San Diego, CA. It looks like I'll be using practically 3G only. I plan on just getting the $3.99/mo for 500MB along with rollover for an additional $3.99/month (20GB max accumulation).

ShopDiscover offers 15% CB on Groupon.

JimsEmptyWallet said:   If all I want is the free 500 MB/month as backup, is there a "how-to" guide somewhere out there? Thanks.
  da thread

ablang said:   
excoriatorb said:   

Where'd you get this info from?

It's been discussed all over HowardForums. A lot of people avoid the WiMax phones at Virgin Mobile because of this. Here's a discussion at a Sprint forum with some more detail about Sprint's and Clear's plans for the WiMax network.

For $34 vs $150 I think I would buy the wimax one today and worry about 2015 in 14 months
As LTE becomes more common I would think the $150 LTE hotspot would go down in price by 2015

works pretty well. good bang 4 the buck

Sprint is so dumb. Nextel, wimax.
Freedompop was shady as hell to me but service is good if you have solid signal. Be sure to check your clearwire map.

for light users, the www.YourKarma.com service uses the same unit, with no monthly fees. I've had mine for months and used it on many vacations with no refill needed yet.

jeffreye said:   Freedompop uses Clear's WiMax network and works pretty darn well in the areas where you get signal. Was able to watch Netflix on a drive from Austin to Dallas with only a couple dead spots.
  you shouldnt be watching Netflix when driving

Re: LTE vs. Wimax. If you have Wimax coverage in the places you care about, then by all means go for that device. I have found decent Wimax coverage downtown in major cities covered by that network. If you don't have Wimax coverage, but do have Sprint LTE coverage, then obviously that is the way to go if you want 4G.

Wimax coverage:
http://www.clear.com/coverage

Sprint LTE coverage:
http://shop2.sprint.com/en/shop/why_sprint/4g/4g_lte_coverage_li...

mike54721 said:   Sprint is so dumb. Nextel, wimax.

WiMax looks like a bad choice now. But Sprint's long-term plan is to repurpose the 30,000+ Clearwire towers into LTE towers. That could give them an LTE network that rivals Verizon's.

love4money said:   

because the overdrive has the 3G fallback where the photon does not - although you pay extra for the 3g availability service ($3-$4 a month, i just forget) so like me, I don't have any Sprint 4G availble to me ANYWHERE in Arizona (I've tested it at my home and at client sites and it stays in 3G mode)

lanwarrior said:   
asuwest2 said:   Have had the freedom pop hotspot since it became available in OC (9 months or so). Added their $2.99 / mo option for improved performance from the beginning. Very good for me as a standby - had a couple of business trips where hotel wifi sucked. Really bailed me out. Great service.

They charge extra to get "improved performance"?

So those who does not pay this, they get "crappier" performance?

The service is a completely optional for our customers who want even faster download speeds. Our service is generally fast enough for our users, although some people enjoy the increased speeds and decide to pay the extra monthly fee.

love4money said:   What is the major difference between the Overdrive and Photon hotspots?

Overdrive is 3G/4G while Photon is 4G only.

The main difference is that the Photon is 4G only and the Overdrive is a 3G/4G device. The Overdrive though also has an LCD screen on the device which displays real-time information about your connection and device.

Skipping 41 Messages...
Mastayau said:   He never answered what will happen to these devices once WiMAX goes dark.
  Got any stacks of paper that you're worried will blow away?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014

It's time for an upgrade!

After a decade on our current platform, we're upgrading our plumbing. The site will be down for a few hours starting at 10PM CST tonight.

At FatWallet we strive to bring you the best coupons, deals and Cash Back. So please come back and check us out.