• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Very affordable price on this Tablet!

XELIO 7" Android Tablet With 4GB Memory @ Walmart - $39.00
compare at $62.55
Free Store Pick up

(FatWallet Deal Hunter staff posts are certified ad-free. No money, bribes, or candy have been accepted.)

Walmart
See Walmart coupons that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

XELIO 7" Android Tablet With 4GB Memory
Thanks erohrer
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
nope. not relevant. superfluous chatter. talking about freebies at some event (that understandably you feel very special... (more)

hakujin (Sep. 29, 2013 @ 7:58p) |

perfect for my children, ordered 3 for christmas, they will be thrilled. thank you.

cptbarkey189 (Sep. 30, 2013 @ 2:34p) |

Ordered it site to store at my local WalMart but it was delayed so I called customer service and they contacted the stor... (more)

Hornrw (Oct. 01, 2013 @ 7:15p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

When comparing with the other offer from OD,, other than the 8/4 GB memory difference, what would the main points be on this to look at? I want to purchase a tablet for a child.

got 1 thanks ( great tablet for beginner's or a child )

I have not heard about this brand name before, so I want to get some idea about this and about the performance. The price is looking very less, but still I want to make sure if it is worth trying.

The Nextbook brand of tablets at WalMart work well - I've had their 4gb/7" version for a few months. Run games, youtube, etc well. The only thing its missing is bluetooth, but most are at this price point. I paid $69 for mine in June.

Make sure it has the play store app already on it.

sgogo said:   Make sure it has the play store app already on it.

Most likely won't but it won't be hard to install it.

Went for pickup but not ready gave me a RCA 7" instead with same specs. Can't find any reviews.
First impression... it's not the Apple of my eye

A lot of compromises to hit the $39 mark.
Xenio: No google play store, 800x480 non-IPS screen, 512MB RAM, 4GB onboard memory, single-core CPU @ 1GHz, 2.8AH battery, no automatic OS updates, any user support forums?, build quality?, one year warranty backed by whom?
Nexus 7 (2012): Google play store, 1280x800 IPS, 1GB RAM, 8GB onboard memory, quad-core CPU @ 1.3GHz, 4.5 AH battery, automatic OS updates, large user support base, quality build, one year ASUS warranty.

Other questions:
- Is 512MB RAM enough? My Nexus 7 has 609MB RAM in use at the moment.
- 4GB memory isn't a lot. My 8GB Nexus 7 showed 5.9GB free when new - that's about 2GB tied up with the OS and stock apps. A 4GB tablet might leave you with only 2GB of memory free.
- Can you move apps to an SD card on this tablet? From what I've read so far, the answer is no - it's only good for storing music, pictures, and videos.

It seems the only thing in this tablet's favor is the price.

MelissaAnne said:   

Most likely won't but it won't be hard to install it.

You might be surprised how hard it is. Adding Play store to tabs that don't have it requires rooting and the gapps infrastructure. The biggest challenge with these off-brands is the USB driver.

WalMart link shows $59 for much more interesting Xelio: 9' and 8gb !!

thanks, I was waiting for BF but at this price I'll bite, it has double the ram of my Polaroid 7"

Here's a link to How-To article on getting CyanogenMod and gApps on the Xelio:
Link

4 gig is not a lot of memory, but it depends what you want to do with it. That is what the sd slot is for. You can also download an app called move to sd which runs most of your apps off of the sd card. The sum of the breakdown is these generally come with 2-2.5 gig of preloaded os and apps. The remaining memory is for additional apps and operations. If you are going to load it down with games and apps, yes you need more memory. If you only want a few more apps, not a problem. Pictures, mp3s, documents are saved to the sd file. These would make a much cost effective reader than buying both a kindle and a nook. I've got a 6 yr old android with 2 gig and a 400mhz processor. I've got the kindle and nook apps on it. It is a great reader, pretty good solitaire, but is pokey on the internet and email. I guess it all depends what you want.

Buckmann said:   Website: http://xeliotablet.com/            

A lot of compromises to hit the $39 mark.
Xenio: No google play store, 800x480 non-IPS screen, 512MB RAM, 4GB onboard memory, single-core CPU @ 1GHz, 2.8AH battery, no automatic OS updates, any user support forums?, build quality?, one year warranty backed by whom?
Nexus 7 (2012): Google play store, 1280x800 IPS, 1GB RAM, 8GB onboard memory, quad-core CPU @ 1.3GHz, 4.5 AH battery, automatic OS updates, large user support base, quality build, one year ASUS warranty.

Other questions:
- Is 512MB RAM enough? My Nexus 7 has 609MB RAM in use at the moment.
- 4GB memory isn't a lot. My 8GB Nexus 7 showed 5.9GB free when new - that's about 2GB tied up with the OS and stock apps. A 4GB tablet might leave you with only 2GB of memory free.
- Can you move apps to an SD card on this tablet? From what I've read so far, the answer is no - it's only good for storing music, pictures, and videos.

It seems the only thing in this tablet's favor is the price.

Puh-lease... enough of the pro nexus 7 crowd softbashing all other deals. nexus 7 not worth its price point, starting at $199 for 16GB no thank you; your 8 not even available anymore but a similarly spec'd HiSense Sero 7 Pro is w/ expandable storage at $129

Still, it's easy to find value at $39, on so many levels. running JB, 512MB just cuts it on JellyBean phone/tablet on trim housekeeping. 4GB vs 8GB? Both nothing to write home about 'good enough' for practical basic use of either. Xelio has microSD so where's the issue? yes apps can be on external. install links2SD, partition card and woila: up to 64GB of additional storage. the problem isn't the hw, it's the sw; Jellybean a departure from external microSD . CPU can prolly be OCed w/ a little dev work; hopefully some interest on this one at xda, havent checked. only con to me is i doubt xbmc will run well on it given hw acceleration on android is very fragmented by hw specs. maybe mx player could yield some good results tho...

Looks great.

I'm in for two for the kids.
At this price, hey.
Thanks OP.

Nice tablet for the kiddies. I picked up 3 of these tablets for my grandsons a few months ago. They LOVE them. It was very easy to put the google playstore on them. I'm a grandmom and it took
less then 30 minutes to put it on all 3 tablets. Picked up Micro SD cards for $6 at Big Lots for each of the tablets to give them 8GB of storage.

Excellent!

Nice deal, cant beat it for the price.

isn't 9', 8gb for $59 an even better deal?
http://www.walmart.com/ip/XELIO-9-Tablet-With-8GB-Memory/2370934...  

Good deal for BASIC tablet.  Got it though own original Nexus 7 bought from Staples before new version came out for $125 (allowed stacking of coupons).

Why is Wallymart charging $3 more for Cali disposal fee when Staples didn't charge me for that?

Can get apps from Amazon store.

From Wallymart review:

If you want to google play store all you have to do is go to your settings and allow the installation of non market apps. Then go to your phone's browser and go to www.4shared.com.  Then search for google play store apk wait 20 seconds for the download button to appear. Click on download. When the download is complete click on it. It will ask you if you want to install. Click confirm and bam google play store is now installed. Simple as that.

SinglePapa said:    isn't 9', 8gb for $59 an even better deal?

Low screen resolution of 800 x 480 - same as 7" version and running older Jellybean 4.0 instead of Ice Cream Sandwich 4.1.

Boxed 7' were given out to first 80 comers (before noon) at Sept.26 CioSynergy at Affinia NYC. Both of my children accessed PlayStore on theirs, although I don't think they are expertly at all lol

SinglePapa said:   Boxed 7' were given out to first 80 comers (before noon) at Sept.26 CioSynergy at Affinia NYC. Both of my children accessed PlayStore on theirs, although I don't think they are expertly at all lol
  Can't make out what you are trying to tell us.  What is a boxed 7'?  Who is CioSynergy and what is Affinia?   Does this have anything to do with the tablet being sold b y Wal-Mart?

Not sold. These units were given out like nothing, to every attendee. On the same day, Kindles were given out at TruthInVirtualization at the Hilton. Not to mention the raffles: Affinia event had about a dozen of real tablets, Hilton had three. Microsoft office at 1290 Sixth raffled latest $300 Fujitsu scanner at Sharepoint workshop, HP gave as many polos as one could carry at a Slate cocktail, plus most of us got $200 at Focus Suites for opinion group on printers. A typical Weekday as far as IT giveaways. Sorry nothing on weekends

The point about this particular tablet: it must be pretty worthless to WalMart and such, if they gave 80 units to just that one show. Although my kids are happy with these so far, third day using...As far upgrading to a 9' Xelio for $20 at WalMart, my friend says:

I guess so, but it does not have Bleutooth and many other features. But not bad for that price-point.

Better off with a brand name like Nexus or Samsung. Better support, Big user community, Faster Processor / Chipset, Better Quality and higher resolution screen and Auto OS upgrades.

BPH789 said:   
SinglePapa said:    isn't 9', 8gb for $59 an even better deal?

Low screen resolution of 800 x 480 - same as 7" version and running older Jellybean 4.0 instead of Ice Cream Sandwich 4.1.

you mistakenly switched the two. Ice Cream Sandwich is the older version.  Agree tho, this is a better deal, extra 1" doesn't mean much to me, especially if there's no bugless JB roms on XDA, as it's noticeably more feature rich than ICS
SinglePapa said:   Not sold. These units were given out like nothing, to every attendee. On the same day, Kindles were given out at TruthInVirtualization at the Hilton. Not to mention the raffles: Affinia event had about a dozen of real tablets, Hilton had three. Microsoft office at 1290 Sixth raffled latest $300 Fujitsu scanner at Sharepoint workshop, HP gave as many polos as one could carry at a Slate cocktail, plus most of us got $200 at Focus Suites for opinion group on printers. A typical Weekday as far as IT giveaways. Sorry nothing on weekends

The point about this particular tablet: it must be pretty worthless to WalMart and such, if they gave 80 units to just that one show. Although my kids are happy with these so far, third day using...As far upgrading to a 9' Xelio for $20 at WalMart, my friend says:

I guess so, but it does not have Bleutooth and many other features. But not bad for that price-point.

Better off with a brand name like Nexus or Samsung. Better support, Big user community, Faster Processor / Chipset, Better Quality and higher resolution screen and Auto OS upgrades.

Highlighted the only relevant part to this thread. 

1. who cares? most don't at this price point.
2. who cares? most don't at this price point
3. who cares? current speed more than sufficient for most chores.
4. yes, better screen for 5x the cost. I should hope so.
5. who cares? most don't at this price point 

I can't believe how much value people here attach to Google's consumer array, it's mind boggling to me.

U r hard to follow: 4 "who cares" and 1 what? What 5x cost? Question was whether $59 for 9'/8gb was better than $39 for 7'/4gb

Well news flash a lot of products are "given out like nothing" every single day. But that's not relevant to this at all.

SinglePapa said:   U r hard to follow: 4 "who cares" and 1 what? What 5x cost? Question was whether $59 for 9'/8gb was better than $39 for 7'/4gb
i was replying to your comments on sammy & nexus in order, not tht hard to figure out, lol

Might be relevant to assessing the real worth of this particular tablet. I was surprised this Thursday to see WalMart boxes at the Affinia event; but here we are: WalMart even offers this tablet for $39 retail...That 80-piece shipment could have been at even less or even a free promo

Or, more accurately, the real cost of the devices (whatever was paid for the 80 units) was/is subsidized by the spending of the companies who attend ($$$) and send their employees to these conferences and events.

I'm thinking that's more likely.

The dozen sponsors each had their own REAL tablet drawing during evening cocktail: IPods, gift cards, just to collect attendee biz cards. Event was free, and if I knew that the Android tablet promised for early arrival (before noon) was worth $39, I wouldn't bother

So basically, other than 4gb vs 8gb, they have two different operating systems. Is it worth the extra $20 for the 9" or do as the grandma mentioned, and just get the 4gb and buy extra SD needed?

SinglePapa said:   Might be relevant to assessing the real worth of this particular tablet. I was surprised this Thursday to see WalMart boxes at the Affinia event; but here we are: WalMart even offers this tablet for $39 retail...That 80-piece shipment could have been at even less or even a free promo
nope. not relevant. superfluous chatter. talking about freebies at some event (that understandably you feel very special about) doesn't have any bearing whatsoever here on this deal. 

The 'real worth' of this uber cheap tablet is whatever the price is at the time. It seems VERY cheap and other than display quality differences, it's comparable to many low/mid end android tablets with MicroSD and JB as a nice bonus. Great for a kid and also can accomplish many uses for a competent techie.

I will say this though. doesn't appear to be any dev/community on this one over at xda, so that kinda stinks.  I wouldn't get the 9", just the 7"

perfect for my children, ordered 3 for christmas, they will be thrilled. thank you.

Ordered it site to store at my local WalMart but it was delayed so I called customer service and they contacted the store, the manager substituted a 7 inch Nextbook which is a much better product, for the same price, $39.99...score! Added $4 to the total for two year protection plan. Not too shabby a deal but YMMV depending on the Manager of the particular WalMart.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014