• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

SAMSUNG ML-D2850B High Yield Toner Cartridge Black - Newegg.com
Disclaimer
Hello, FWers-

I know this deal is of use to a relatively small fraction of FW readers, but I'm also pretty confident that there's a disproportionate number of people on this forum who use the same printer I do because its supplies are so inexpensive (and I think I got my first one on a FW deal).

The printer is the Samsung ML-2851ND, and it's one of the cheapest monochrome lasers out there on a per-page basis. It has wired networking, it duplexes, it's compact, and it has a pretty serious duty cycle (I think 30K pages per month?) for a home/home office printer. It's also discontinued, replaced by a model with lower-capacity and yet higher-priced cartridges. But this isn't a posting for the printer -- it's a posting for the toner cartridges.

Genuine Samsung ML-D2850B cartridges (5000 page yield)are usually around $100 at Newegg and higher elsewhere. At the moment, however, they're $87.99 and have free shipping. In addition, code FALLSAVINGS3 takes $30 off $150, so:

$175.98    (cost for two cartridges)
-$30.00    (discount with FALLSAVINGS3, good thru 10/31)
=$145.98 shipped for two, plus tax in some states (but not mine!)

That's $72.99 per cartridge for genuine Samsung carts -- less than 1.5 cents per page. And don't forget FatCash for another 1% back!

Samsung ML-D2850B toner cartridge 

Yes, generics are cheaper, but they often have issues with print quality. If you really want to bring your printing costs down, I've also found that these can generally be refilled once without any image quality issues (no drilling/melting required to refill; there's a removable plug to refill and kits are cheap).

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Unfortunately, paying for a single cartridge more than the printer cost is not a FW deal.
The printer is super in features and printing but simply not worth the maintenance cost.
I got the same original FW deal for this printer model for $40 but later realized that cartridges are very costly and packed it up in garage.
So I bought a more basic HP in another FW deal and I can get cartridges less than $10 on sale.
Later I jumped on the Brother bandwagon for the cheap ink!

Do what I did - sell your Samsung printer as "used item" in eBay/Amazon - I was *shocked* someone was willing to pay > $300.
(yes! Someone who wanted that exact model was willing to pay for it and mine was in mint working condition with original toner
and I even had kept the original box etc and so the buyer was happy).

This is probably veering off topic, but...the printer wasn't cheaper than the toner cart on a per-page basis...it came with a 1500-page starter cart, so even at $40, the per-page cost was more than 2 cents a page.

It all depends on your needs, I guess...we print around 40K pages a year from my home biz. 95% of my prints are duplexed, so I need that feature. My first one of these printers wore out at around 110,000 pages. I have 50,000 so far on the 2nd one, and a 3rd is in the closet. Do you know of a laser printer that duplexes with a lower per-page cost, HP or otherwise? I haven't found any inkjets with the speed (especially while duplexing -- pages need to dry) or lifespan...I was surprised to discover that the manufacturer's life expectancy on my Canon inkjet (in the service manual, but not the owner's manual) is 6K pages!

I did my homework a couple of years ago on per-page costs and this one came out best. Times change, I realize, and if there's a cheaper option for my biz, I'd love to hear about it!  Are the HP toner cartridges OEM or generic? If you're willing to use generic toner carts, they are available cheaply for this printer as well, but in my experience the print quality suffers with generics. When speed isn't an issue and/or I need color, I stick with my Canon, which has ink carts that are around a buck apiece (and the clerks at Staples give me $2 credit when they're empty!)

By refilling the toner once, getting FAR paper cases when they come up, and paying $100ish for a printer that lasts 100,000 pages, I think I have my costs minimized. rkfwc, I'm going to guess that you print a lot less than I do, in which case there are certainly other options to consider.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014