Voting History
rated:
free SmithMicro Voila
free Parallels 9 upgrade

must view price in-cart - $59.99

use promo code: CMEY1234 - brings it to $29.99

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832714033 

Newegg
See Newegg discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I know how people should spend their money and will tell them

If you have the money and like Apple, by all means go for ... (more)

Matrim33 (Oct. 07, 2013 @ 12:31p) |

Mine came in today.  I filled in the form on the website.  Sent my Newegg receipt that they emailed to me.  I now have a... (more)

TowHead (Oct. 09, 2013 @ 10:35p) |

I just wanted an upgrade from 8-9 so this did the trick for me- just typed in serial and was emailed upgrade code in a f... (more)

huntergather (Oct. 10, 2013 @ 7:30a) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

What a GREAT deal... Thanks OP !  N 4 1

I'm in.  Thanks.  

Me too, but the small print in the upgrade offer says OEM is not eligible? Newegg will be sending me a copy of 9 if not!

Wow, better than paying for the official upgrade path...and you get an extra copy. May be in.

Thanks OP!

Before spending the money, try Virtualbox.
It's free, and is at least 90% as good as the other products.

JonnyRock said:   Before spending the money, try Virtualbox.
It's free, and is at least 90% as good as the other products.

VirtualBox is neat - but it isn't nearly as excellent as is Parallels.  There's a new product by these guys, by the way, that will let you use Mac or Windows, called Parallels Access, on your iPad.  I've used Parallels Access and it's nothing short of astounding.  Check it out here.

I've tried VirtualBox and have never been successful with it except for the most simple applications.  For example, I've had Windows environments extended with the .NET environment fail to load in VirtualBox at all.  

90% is hyperbole.  19% is closer to the truth.

Unless you need graphics acceleration, Virtual Box is generally fine. It's not the speediest thing in the world, but it's pretty good for what it is. I've got it set up for several office workers, where they're using a .NET piece of software. No problems, and I don't believe I did anything unusual to get it going.

Parallels is a great product made by an awful company. If all you ever have to do is use the software, you'll think they're the bee's knees. If you have to deal with their people--be it for support or if a rebate/upgrade isn't smooth--buckle up. It's a rough ride.

Parallels Desktop nearly twice as fast as VirtualBox.
20% faster than VMware Fusion.
Best VM on Mac.
That I can say If you care about speed.

Carefull with such blanket statements. Benchmarks are only meaningful when directly comparing the same virtualized software. Anything else is just marketing.

Not sure if you will get the upgrade since this is the OEM version and there is no hardware being purchased with it. I contacted Newegg and they just refer you to the manufacturer to find out. If you have an .edu email address you can just get parallels 9 at the student price of 50% off right now ($39.99):
http://estore.onthehub.com/WebStore/OfferingsOfMajorVersionList....

Its every year event.
I upgraded 7 to 8 last year.
So I'm sure that.

AlviDDS said:   Not sure if you will get the upgrade since this is the OEM version and there is no hardware being purchased with it. I contacted Newegg and they just refer you to the manufacturer to find out. If you have an .edu email address you can just get parallels 9 at the student price of 50% off right now ($39.99):
http://estore.onthehub.com/WebStore/OfferingsOfMajorVersionList....

It worked for me from this deal. I submitted the upgrade request this morning and received the Parallels 9 download instructions and key shortly thereafter.

i dont think this will work with the upcoming mac os

kiddk1 said:   i dont think this will work with the upcoming mac os
Version 9 will, which New3gg is advertising as a free upgrade. But yeah, this from the T&C is their out. Basically, you won't get the "free" upgrade and Newegg will not accept an open box return once you discover this sad fact:

• Parallels Desktop 8 for Mac OEM Version when either purchased together with hardware or other approved software products. Customer must supply proof of purchase of hardware/software when requesting their free of charge upgrade.

Good luck with the fight, purchasers. 

Yup, overspend on a piece of over-priced hardware so you can spend more to make it compatible back with the rest of the world and call it a deal. The reality distortion field is as strong as ever. But it's the honorable thing to do. Yup...

GWBush said:   Yup, overspend on a piece of over-priced hardware so you can spend more to make it compatible back with the rest of the world and call it a deal. The reality distortion field is as strong as ever. But it's the honorable thing to do. Yup...
  Why even check the deal out if you don't have the machine, you troll. Last I checked, no one in this forum asked if they should get a Mac or PC. BTW, ask anyone who runs windows on boot camp on a Mac machine, and you'll find it runs better. Go troll around somewhere else.

GWBush said:   Yup, overspend on a piece of over-priced hardware so you can spend more to make it compatible back with the rest of the world and call it a deal. The reality distortion field is as strong as ever. But it's the honorable thing to do. Yup...

If I wanted someone to tell me how to spend my money, I'd talk to my wife.

I'm in ... thanks!

From what I've read on every deal Newegg does like this with each upgrade version, the software they bundle the OEM version with does indeed satisfy the "approved software" required to quality for the free upgrade.

AlviDDS said:   
  Why even check the deal out if you don't have the machine, you troll. Last I checked, no one in this forum asked if they should get a Mac or PC. BTW, ask anyone who runs windows on boot camp on a Mac machine, and you'll find it runs better. Go troll around somewhere else.

Apple owners get so defensive. No one put a gun to your head to raid your kids college fund to go Apple.

Matrim33 said:     
Apple owners get so defensive. No one put a gun to your head to raid your kids college fund to go Apple.

If the cost of a computer will make or break you, I'm betting there's no college fund.

It's like anything in life. Different people have different needs, tastes, and incomes.  Some people feel they know what is best for others, and have a strong desire to tell other people what they should be doing with their lives.  Others waste less time that way.  It's one thing when someone asks for recommendations--otherwise it's just getting upset that people don't see things your way.  Might be a little bit of envy involved, too, if a person doesn't have the means to match their desires.  They may not desire whatever it is they're publicly scorning, but part of "not understanding" why someone would buy something is envy of the ability to spend on something seemingly unnecessary.  (People will, naturally, deny this.  Pride's cost is often honesty.)

Like I said, telling other people how to spend their money is best left to spouses.  Anything else is just bad manners.

The promo code CMEY1234 has expired and is no longer valid.

If the cost of a computer will make or break you, I'm betting there's no college fund.

It's like anything in life. Different people have different needs, tastes, and incomes.  Some people feel they know what is best for others, and have a strong desire to tell other people what they should be doing with their lives.  Others waste less time that way.  It's one thing when someone asks for recommendations--otherwise it's just getting upset that people don't see things your way.  Might be a little bit of envy involved, too, if a person doesn't have the means to match their desires.  They may not desire whatever it is they're publicly scorning, but part of "not understanding" why someone would buy something is envy of the ability to spend on something seemingly unnecessary.  (People will, naturally, deny this.  Pride's cost is often honesty.)

Like I said, telling other people how to spend their money is best left to spouses.  Anything else is just bad manners.

I know how people should spend their money and will tell them

If you have the money and like Apple, by all means go for it. But if you don't have the money, it may be a bad choice. One of my employees blew over $1000 on an Apple laptop he had to have. Bought it on credit and always asks for advances on his paychecks and complains about money all the time. I asked him what he uses his laptop for, he said using the internet. When I dug a little deeper he said he wouldn't want to be seen at Starbucks with a lame laptop.

IMO the above scenario is a problem that I am hoping we are teaching our kids not to fall for. Like kids with no money brandishing $200 shoes. Apple makes great products, but they are a luxury product. You pay a premium for their products. You can get a similar product for less, but it's not as "cool". I don't hate Apple, but they have become a brand that exemplifies our societies need to have the latest and greatest whether we have the money or not.

Mine came in today.  I filled in the form on the website.  Sent my Newegg receipt that they emailed to me.  I now have a download link and activation key for Parallels 9.  Emailed to me within 2 hours at 8:00 pm PDT.

Thank you OP.

EDIT:

The activation email I received has the following text:

NEW! Applify™ Your Universe. As a “Thank You” for being part of the Parallels Community, we are happy to offer you a six month no-charge subscription to our latest product, Parallels Access™. Parallels Access for iPad lets you use your desktop applications as if they were designed for your iPad, wherever your roam. Upon installation of your new version of Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac, your subscription to Parallels Access will automatically be activated. You will be given instructions on how to download from the App Store. It is that simple! To learn more about the exciting features of Parallels Access, click http://www.parallels.com/products/access 

I just wanted an upgrade from 8-9 so this did the trick for me- just typed in serial and was emailed upgrade code in a few hours...never even opened software..

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014