• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=15725436

its no weller but im sure works for a lot of things

RadioShack
Need a RadioShack coupon that earns 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

RadioShack Pro Line 15W Soldering Iron
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer

Miscellaneous Features

Supported Languages   English

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

3-wire grounded power cord for safety and possibly for anti-static (no info about the latter).

These are great for soldering tiny surface mount parts.

If you can find this helping-hands solder station with magnifier at your local store, it'll help hold what you're soldering and magnify it, too.

Helping Hands magnifier $23.98 at RS B&M

J L 60 Watts Soldering Iron, UL listed
Disclaimer
60w Soldering iron

If you have Amazon Prime this is $7.85 with 2-day shipping

$3.99 at Harbor Freight for similar item but not exactly the same.

Duck here come the HF haters...

I have the WLC100 Weller 40-watt iron station for serious use, but these are handy for small jobs or the average hobbyist who only needs to solder the random wire every now and then. For solder, I use Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 63/37 .031" when working on guitars, amps, and most electronics. Just be sure to vent the fumes (very toxic).

is good.

Nothing beats a butane powers soldering iron for quick jobs IMHO.
At least 2-3x more than this item but worth every penny.

sportsfan64 said:   If you can find this helping-hands solder station with magnifier at your local store, it'll help hold what you're soldering and magnify it, too.

Helping Hands magnifier $23.98 at RS B&M

Amazon has this for $89.99 so I think this is a good deal...three stores around me have them in stock so they are still available!

VETS dont forget that RS gives you 10% off everyday.

$6 replacement tip is where Radio Shack will make the money in the long run.

Handy for delicate work, 15 watts & grounded is good for circuit boards (surface mount devices).
Can file a copper tip to a sharp point for extremely fine work (tiny leads from chips).
Go to ~25 watts for general purpose circuit board use (parts with leads going through the board).
Grab the 80 watt iron for stubborn jobs (thick wires, sheet metal).
DIY Hot air reflow setup for BGA (flaky north bridge/south bridge on a motherboard).
Propane torch with a spreader fixed some old sdram dimms. Spread some flux, & watch that the chips don't float away....

Tilt said:   $6 replacement tip is where Radio Shack will make the money in the long run.

. . .

DIY Hot air reflow setup for BGA (flaky north bridge/south bridge on a motherboard).
Propane torch with a spreader fixed some old sdram dimms. Spread some flux, & watch that the chips don't float away....

Another iron is on clearance, a 30W pistol grip model for $3.48: model 64-2066

Do any electronics soldering with a propane torch outdoors because burning circuit board material is awful and lingers and lingers and ...

Those $6 replacement tips are iron plated and for a casual user can last years without needing anything but tinning and cleaning, while plain copper and even chrome plated tips will erode in just a few days. But $6 is slightly more than even some Weller and Hakko tips.

I don't know how good Harbor Freight soldering irons are, but I once bought a $2 piece of junk at Fry's with a power cord just 3' long. Its handle got uncomfortably hot,its barrel turned blue, and it burned out in a month of light use. I don't think it was UL or CSA approved.

I just read about the hazards of solder fumes. Can someone recommend a good Solder Fume Extractor?

with holidays upcoming this comes in handy for the decorations WE R putting up

In for 1. For crafts.

And the review on Amazon even says to buy it at Radio Shack for this price. lolz

russellt said:   $3.99 at Harbor Freight for similar item but not exactly the same.

Duck here come the HF haters...

I HF..Saves me $$$$

Even if you don't do soldering, this iron can be good for mending plastics that can't be glued, such as nylon, polyethylene, polypropylene, and polycarbonate, which are found in cars.

GreenTrash said:   60w Soldering iron

If you have Amazon Prime this is $7.85 with 2-day shipping

60W is hotter and not intended for lower heat soldering (solid state components, circuit boards, etc) I got a 25W weller from Home Depot and even it is a bit too hot.

how did this guy get so much green for posting something that is intended for a different purpose in a thread about an obvious low heat iron?

This one is better than the Amazon or Harbor Freight one discussed above. But yes if you need it for wood or craft work, don't buy it. Its great for electronics circuit board soldering. This one has a ceramic heating element and is very quick to heat, and holds heat very nice. I was surprised for a 15W from RadioShack. Its very good for its price I got it for $15 sometime ago when I did not want to give my son Hako fx888D for his casual electronics projects. Watts is not everything for a good soldering iron. BTW anyone looking for tip alternative, these fits the Hako 900m series tips which are available all over.

Picked up the soldering iron & the helps hands. Thanks OP

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014