Sears $25 gift Cards at Rite Aid

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Sears $25 gift cards at RiteAid have a $10 reward on each with a limit of 2 per card. Other cards have a smaller amount eg. Chilis $25 has a $6 reward. This week only.

Sears
See Sears coupons that earn 6.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

Sears $25 gift Cards at Rite Aid
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

In the ad, it says you get a $10 +UP for $50 in selected gift cards (Sears is one of them). Can you personally confirm the $10 +UP is printing when you only buy a $25 gift card?

It should be noted that you will only get the +UP back if this deal is in your local Rite Aid ad. There is a 4-page supplement of extra deals that are appearing in some markets and this deal is in that supplement. So make sure the deal is in your ad or you might not be a happy camper when no +UP prints and gift cards are not returnable.

In the past, RiteAid in my area have not been allowed to use credit card to pay for these. This is outside Philly, PA.

tajar96 said:   In the past, RiteAid in my area have not been allowed to use credit card to pay for these. This is outside Philly, PA.
My local Rite Aid here too in So Cal will also not let you pay with a credit card. It is Rite Aid policy I believe to only let you pay in cash or with a debit card when buying a gift carf....although if you did swipe a credit card and they let you pay that way it would go through with no issues.

They tried to pull that with me one time but I told the manager I was hearing nothing of it.
Invited him to call corporate HQ while I waited and he backed down.

Needless to say CCs at RA is definitely hit or miss.
I have a good relationship with my surrounding stores because I come in when deals like this are on and chat up the staff.
I know all about their grandchildren and ankle problems.

Needless to say, this particular deal isn't being advertised in my area (no supplemental insert in this week's ad or signage on the GC rack) so Im SOL.
Maybe next time.

Showing only $10 +UP for $50 in selected gift cards incl Sears  ... so not on 25, atleast as shown inweekly ad

Advt says select gift cards, not sure which all are included. I'm interested in some Amazon, Subway and Dominos gift card.

tajar96 said:   In the past, RiteAid in my area have not been allowed to use credit card to pay for these. This is outside Philly, PA.

This has been discussed/debated in a few other recent cc-GC-related threads.  While we haven't come to any definitive conclusions on FW, I've found that pointing store managers to the cc processing companies' Merchant Agreements is helpful.  I believe AMEX's Merchant Agreement disallows this practice of discriminating what a customer can and cannot use their AMEX cc to purchase (see section 3.1 here).  In other words (assuming I understand the agreement, and as discussed with AMEX on several occasions), if they want to take AMEX, they have to take AMEX... not pick and choose what they will take the card for.  YMMV.

/2 cents

The manager corrected the deal and we needed to purchase another Sears card for the $10. The others for restaurants are $6 for the $25 card.

I've contacted Rite Aid about their gift card payment policy. Here is the reply I've received:

POLICY

Rite Aid will accept cash, credit, and debit cards as a form of payment for prepaid card sales and reloads.

Prepaid cards, Rite Aid gift cards, and checks are not accepted as forms of payment for other prepaid cards.

Rite Aid does not accept manual entry of credit card or debit card numbers for prepaid card purchases. The credit card or debit card used for payment must be present at the time of sale.

I think that stores are getting confused about the law that states you cannot buy a Visa/MasterCard type prepaid card with a credit card and their actual policy. They are told not to take credit cards for those types of cards, and all they here is "don't take a credit card for a gift card."

I'm tired of the inconsistency!

pancreaspants said:   I've contacted Rite Aid about their gift card payment policy. Here is the reply I've received:

POLICY

Rite Aid will accept cash, credit, and debit cards as a form of payment for prepaid card sales and reloads.

Prepaid cards, Rite Aid gift cards, and checks are not accepted as forms of payment for other prepaid cards.

Rite Aid does not accept manual entry of credit card or debit card numbers for prepaid card purchases. The credit card or debit card used for payment must be present at the time of sale.

I think that stores are getting confused about the law that states you cannot buy a Visa/MasterCard type prepaid card with a credit card and their actual policy. They are told not to take credit cards for those types of cards, and all they here is "don't take a credit card for a gift card."

Could you please print a PDF of the email you received (redacting your private info, of course) and post it here?  This is the kind of thing we need to carry into the stores when the cashier shoots us down at cc purchases.

Not available here in NY. I went there today looking for it.

pancreaspants said:   I've contacted Rite Aid about their gift card payment policy. Here is the reply I've received:

POLICY

What law?

I believe it has something to do with money laundering.

What law?
  I believe the Feds passed a law that disallows the purchase of Visa/Mastercard type prepaid cards with a credit card.  It is to prevent money laundering.  I'm not 100% on the law, but I think that is where the confusion about the sale of gift cards comes from.  As for the policy I received from Rite Aid, I only have it in an email.  I filled out a form on their website with my question, and they replied to it.  Below is the entire email with my original question at the bottom:

Jessica, Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I do apologize for any confusion or inconvenience regarding the purchase of prepaid card in our stores. The following is taken from our Prepaid Card Policy:

POLICY

I hope this clears things up for you. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Thanks,

Gordon Snyder

Rite Aid Customer Support  

Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:04 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Message From Website: Store Customer Service - Other Store Question
 Area of interest:
Store Customer Service

Selected topic:
Other Store Question

First Name:
Jessica

Last Name:
xxxxxxx

Email Address:
xxxxxx

Home Phone Number:

Mobile Phone Number:

Cell Phone Number:
810xxxxxxx

Zip Code:
48xxx

Hello, I often purchase music and gaming gift cards from Rite Aid (cards like iTunes and Xbox Points). There seems to be some discrepancy in the payment policy of these cards. I prefer to pay by credit card, and the majority of the stores have allowed this. There is a store or two in my area that will not take credit cards for these particular gift cards. I know it is law to not accept credit cards for prepaid VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, and Discover. This law does not apply to gift cards for specific uses and stores like the ones that I am purchasing. I would like to know what Rite Aid's policy is on this. The stores in my area do not seem to agree on what the policy is, so that is why I'm asking here. Thank you for your time and consideration on this issue. I have been shopping at Rite Aid for years, and I will continue to do so almost every week. - Jessica

pancreaspants said:   
  What law?
  I believe the Feds passed a law that disallows the purchase of Visa/Mastercard type prepaid cards with a credit card.  It is to prevent money laundering.  I'm not 100% on the law, but I think that is where the confusion about the sale of gift cards comes from.  

POLICY

Thanks for posting the email contents.  I was hoping you could print the actual email to a PDF rather than cutting and pasting.  As pasted text, it doesn't hold as much weight if I present it to a store manager since the contents could very easily have been changed by me or anyone else.  A printout of your PDF would look more "legit."  I'll contact RiteAid directly.

As for your statement highlighted above... it is contradicted by Rite Aid's response to you (their policy could certainly be in violation of law, but why?).  If you believe there is a federal law on the topic, please post a reference link.  "I believe there is a law" adds to the "it must be true, it's on the Internet" phenomenon.  BTW, I have spent considerable time researching the subject, and I have NOT found any state or federal regulations that support this claim.  In the case of California, there are a couple of statutes that _potentially_ say the opposite, and support the consumer's right to use credit cards for such purchases.  I have a message into the CA Attorney General's office to get clarification of the issue.

Labboypro, you should contact RA yourself with the same inquiry and mention the store by name (store number). Not only will you get the same response but you may also get them to contact the store in question and cause them to take corrective action.

pancreaspants said:   
  What law?
  I believe the Feds passed a law that disallows the purchase of Visa/Mastercard type prepaid cards with a credit card.  It is to prevent money laundering.  I'm not 100% on the law, but I think that is where the confusion about the sale of gift cards comes from.  As for the policy I received from Rite Aid, I only have it in an email.  I filled out a form on their website with my question, and they replied to it.  Below is the entire email with my original question at the bottom:

Jessica, Thank you for taking the time to contact us. I do apologize for any confusion or inconvenience regarding the purchase of prepaid card in our stores. The following is taken from our Prepaid Card Policy:

POLICY

I hope this clears things up for you. Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. 

Thanks,

Gordon Snyder

Rite Aid Customer Support  

Sent: Thursday, October 17, 2013 4:04 PM
To: Customer Service
Subject: Message From Website: Store Customer Service - Other Store Question
 Area of interest:
Store Customer Service

Selected topic:
Other Store Question

First Name:
Jessica

Last Name:
xxxxxxx

Email Address:
xxxxxx

Home Phone Number:

Mobile Phone Number:

Cell Phone Number:
810xxxxxxx

Zip Code:
48xxx

Hello, I often purchase music and gaming gift cards from Rite Aid (cards like iTunes and Xbox Points). There seems to be some discrepancy in the payment policy of these cards. I prefer to pay by credit card, and the majority of the stores have allowed this. There is a store or two in my area that will not take credit cards for these particular gift cards. I know it is law to not accept credit cards for prepaid VISA, MasterCard, AMEX, and Discover. This law does not apply to gift cards for specific uses and stores like the ones that I am purchasing. I would like to know what Rite Aid's policy is on this. The stores in my area do not seem to agree on what the policy is, so that is why I'm asking here. Thank you for your time and consideration on this issue. I have been shopping at Rite Aid for years, and I will continue to do so almost every week. - Jessica

Thank you for the explanation

There's no such law forbidding buying prepaid cards with a CC. Please stop spreading that nonsense.

BrianGa said:   There's no such law forbidding buying prepaid cards with a CC. Please stop spreading that nonsense.
  I never once stated it as an absolute fact.  The feds passed new gift card laws a number of years ago, and I thought that was one of them.  Could I be wrong?  Absolutely.  The important part added to this post is the actual Rite Aid gift card policy that no one was clear on.  As for the Visa/Mastercard thing, I'm not sure.  Never have been, never claimed to be.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014