• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
This 'hot deal" is for pseudo-audiophiles on a budget. All those loooking for inexpensive home theater receivers, etc. for two or three hundred dollars will need to look elsewhere.

Emotiva is a fairly new high-end audio manufacturer and direct seller. Well, actually I believe their products are manufactured in China, but not designed there. Serious audiophiles don't consdier Emotiva true audiophile quality mainly because their prices are far too low. Audiophiles will routinely pay $1000-$10,000 for speaker cables and interconnects. Emotiva sells 300w x 2 power ampliers for $800, for example. And good ones, at that.

Emotiva has several sales each year. Usually one for each major holiday. I'm not sure Halloween is a major holiday, but they're running a sale now. I couldn't find an expiration date, but I know from experience sometimes they run out of product before the end of the sale. However, if you e-mail them and ask nicely, they will often extend the sale price until their next shipment arrives. This is how I bought my XPA-2 two-channel amplifier. For the money, I don't think you'll be able to find a better, or even equivalent, new two-channel power amplifier this powerful and this refined. For most of us it will be overkill, because it's a monster, but I still love mine (for the value and performance). I recommend the USP-1 preamplifier to go with it. There's nothing to match this two-channel preamplifer for the price (new).

Take note that many of Emotiva's products have a five year transferable warranty, which is a major advantage. As far as I can tell there is no sales tax and no shipping charge.

Their products hold up well on the used marketplace. The USP-1 preamp is available now for $369 (shipped, no tax). You will frequently see used examples on eBay and audiogon selling for $275-$325...and actually selling for that price. Plus shipping. So if you buy one and don't like it, you won't lose much if/when you sell it.

Many of their products are on sale now. This is the largest discount you will find on Emotiva products. At least I have never seen or heard of better discounts than during their sitewide sales events.

The two pieces that caught my eye are the two Emotiva products I own:

Stereo Preamplifer, 2 channel, USP-1, $369.00 was $429.00 http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/usp1

Stereo Power Amplifer, 2 channel, XPA-2, $799.00, was $899.00 http://shop.emotiva.com/collections/amplifiers/products/xpa-2-ge...

Emotiva's home page is at emotiva.com .

Member Summary

Emotiva
Thanks Farfisa850
Disclaimer
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have owned two pre-amp processors of theirs and a five channel preamp.
I had unresolvable problems with the upgraded pre-amp/processor and wasted a lot of time on it and finally sent it back for a refund
after they "fixed" it but it was the same when it got back.
Also had problems with the power amp...had to send it back and they fixed it.
Their PreAmp processors are very difficult to set up and since the video goes through them
before it goes to your tv, there is a 3 second blank screen before you see your program.
I got rid of it all and got a Denon receiver from accessories4less.com and am quite happy.

Sorry to hear you had problems.

I remember reading there were problems with at least one of their digital processors a while ago. I'm not into digital processors of any sort, so can't comment on Emotiva's. The XPA-2 power amplifier and USP-1 preamplifer (non-digital) examples I own have been one-hundred percent reliable and perform beautifully. The reviews have been almost universally favorable.

I also have a two or three year old Denon 5.1 HTH receiver I use in my TV room, and frankly I had trouble with it clicking on and off repeatedly...I mean hundreds of times in a ten minute period. Can't recall the model number. If anyone is interested, I'll look it up. I was very lucky, because while I was reading an A.mazon review of the receiver, I discovered that a few people had the identical problem, and were told by Denon to spray compressed air into the headphone jack. This seems preposterous, but wonder of wonders...it worked! It's been working perfectly for several months....after spraying the jack.

Audiophile=idotphiles. They pay whatever for the perceived "quality" of sound from heaven. On sale stuff from Polk/Frys and Onkyo/Denon work for my normal ears. Personally, I think "new high-end audio manufacturer and direct seller" does not go together.

I tend to agree that many so called audiophiles are somewhat silly, if not downright naive or even stupid.

However, that is not to say that there is not a significant difference between consumer oriented equipment...I won't name names in an effort to prevent this topic from becoming a typical audio gear argument...and "better" equipment. With a little listening practice, most people can hear the difference. However, many people don't think it's worth spending more for "better" equipment, even though they may hear a difference.

do you work for this company?

Care to elaborate on this "listening practice" that would enable me to hear the "Broadband frequency response: : 5Hz to 100kHz" compared to the typical 20Hz-20kHz? Honestly, it's hard to bite at $800 for only 2 channels of 300W, but I bet the "1,200VA toroidal transformer" could make it a good heated seat on a cold winter night.

KuoH

cga said:   With a little listening practice, most people can hear the difference.

I've got a few of their products and if you're in the market for more performance than the typical Japanese AVR, Emo gear is hard to beat. I can confirm the HDMI switching issues and taking a few seconds to sync. My $1k Yamaha AVR takes a bit less but still not instant...not that I switch inputs more than once during normal daily use.

PutThatCoffeeDOWN said:   do you work for this company?
That made me laugh. No, I don't work for, or have any affiliation of any sort with the company.

KuoH said:   Care to elaborate on this "listening practice" that would enable me to hear the "Broadband frequency response: : 5Hz to 100kHz" compared to the typical 20Hz-20kHz? Honestly, it's hard to bite at $800 for only 2 channels of 300W, but I bet the "1,200VA toroidal transformer" could make it a good heated seat on a cold winter night.

KuoH

cga said:   With a little listening practice, most people can hear the difference.

You can't hear the difference between the two frequency response ranges, except that the wider frequency response of the better amp is an indication of its higher quality and better performance,in most cases, anyway. If you really can't hear the difference between a good amp and a cheap, mass marketed one, that would not be that unusual. In that case, you should stick with something less capable. There is definitely a point of diminishing return with audio equipment. For example, a $1000 amp/receiver should sound better than a $200 model, and be worth the extra money. Ditto a $5k vs a $1k amp. But the difference between a $10k and a $5k amp will be hard to hear.

Emotiva amps are very well built, they can easily last for many years and outlive several generations of TVs. The prices are very reasonable, but if you don't really care about sound quality, go with generic consumer stuff like Sony or Denon. For each their own.

I have 4 Emotiva products not going to get in a silly battle over the in's an out of music, but after searching for 2 channel audio equipment for a decent price this is where I ended up. I currently own a XPA-2
UPA-200, USP-1 and a XDA-2 and very happy with the purchases

KuoH said:   Care to elaborate on this "listening practice" that would enable me to hear the "Broadband frequency response: : 5Hz to 100kHz" compared to the typical 20Hz-20kHz? Honestly, it's hard to bite at $800 for only 2 channels of 300W, but I bet the "1,200VA toroidal transformer" could make it a good heated seat on a cold winter night.

KuoH

Well, you have to start by "opening up" your ears and trying to hear everything. Seriously. Listen to Rehab, which is probably in your music library. Do you hear the bells? Did you even notice them? How about the strings? Can you hear the sound of the bell resonates and tails off? They're sort of immaterial to the song, but it can add enjoyment to the song because you're hearing what the engineer (and presumably, the artist) wanted. To be honest, I never noticed the strings until now, how about that.

The downside to better equipment is you hear artifacts. I'm listening through ATH AD700, and when I pay attention I can hear all kinds of artifacts at iTunes+ (256k aac). I suspect that a lot of the money spent by audiophiles is to ensure a clean signal path, so they know that any sound they hear is actually part of the recording and not some kind of equipment problem.

Well put. I agree with you mannyv.

I would add that mp3 or lossless music files are not the best way to judge equipment. I prefer Bluray or DVD, a CD, vinyl, or even a tuner. Most of my listening through my "serious" two-channel system is through a vintage analog FM stereo tuner. Even though the frequency response of FM stereo is only 50hz to 15,000hz (if memory serves) I can pinpoint subtle differences in equipment, assuming a good recording is being broadcast, and if the station comes in full quieting.

Halloween sale is still on. Didn't expect it to last this long.

Picked up a XPA-200 just for the rears in a 7.1 setup. UPA-200 would have been fine but at the $399 pricing went for the beefier unit. Using with XPA-5 amp and still using the UMC-1 processor which works just fine. There is a little delay in start-up and HDMI handshake with devices that requires you to tweak your learning remote to accommodate the delay, but you get used to it after a while and picture and sound quality is worth it. Few quirks along the way but all in all system works fine. Upgraded from Denon AV receiver in 2010.

delhel said:   Audiophile=idotphiles. They pay whatever for the perceived "quality" of sound from heaven. On sale stuff from Polk/Frys and Onkyo/Denon work for my normal ears. Personally, I think "new high-end audio manufacturer and direct seller" does not go together.
If you had a real/serious listening session at a real high-end store (not like the set up at Best Buy/Magnolia), you would not have posted this.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014