• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

ASUS 10.1
Disclaimer
ASUS 10.1" Transformer Book T100 with Detachable Keyboard - $331.49 After Cash Back
($389.99 - 15% Cash Back)

*MUST use www.shopdiscover.com  to get 15% Cash Back from Groupon"

Additional 5% Cash Back available for those who are registered for the extra 5% back for online purchases.  (5% caps at $1500 in online purchases from Oct - Dec 2013)

Linky   

This tablet comes with the new Intel Atom quad-core processor (Bay Trail) and a detachable keyboard.

The battery life is rated at 11+ hours which I think is pretty good.

Also, it is 3 oz lighter than the Lenovo Lynx K3011

• Product number: T100TA-C1-GR
  • Detachable 10.1" HD IPS tablet and notebook
  • 1.86Ghz Intel Atom Bay Trail-T Z3740 quad-core processor
  • 2GB DD3 memory
  • 64GB SSD hard drive
  • Windows 8.1 OS and free copy of Microsoft Office
  • 11-hour battery
  • Unlimited ASUS web storage for one year
  • Condition: new

Member Summary

tablet
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
    • Manufacturer › Asus
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Pretty good deal. It's a full Windows 8.1, so regular x86 windows programs will work. Screen resolution is "meh" compared to iOS or Android tablets in this range, but then again you get Windows compatibility.

Just note that this is a budget tablet/hybrid so it doesn't have the usual digitizer/stylus of Windows 8 tablets.

I myself need the digitizer to do my work/sketch diagrams, so I'll pass until something else comes along.

If someone owns this, I would love to hear about performance, real life performance and not stats. (Esp because x86 programs need a lot more CPU power to be "responsive"; does Bay Trail fit the bill?)

Just upgraded my Surface RT to Surface 8.1 RT. I don't know if it just me but The Start Button is a joke. Instead of clicking on the Desktop Tile to show the desktop, you click on the Start button to show the desktop. It does not show any context menu like the Win 7 or the older OS.

HKSturboKid said:   Just upgraded my Surface RT to Surface 8.1 RT. I don't know if it just me but The Start Button is a joke. Instead of clicking on the Desktop Tile to show the desktop, you click on the Start button to show the desktop. It does not show any context menu like the Win 7 or the older OS.
Microsoft thought that people missed the start button. In reality they missed the start menu, rejecting the metro interface on all but the tablets. Sad. But you know what? Microsoft knows what's best for you... or so they think.

As for this device... it's the netbook debacle all over again.

HKSturboKid said:   Just upgraded my Surface RT to Surface 8.1 RT. I don't know if it just me but The Start Button is a joke. Instead of clicking on the Desktop Tile to show the desktop, you click on the Start button to show the desktop. It does not show any context menu like the Win 7 or the older OS.
  No, it's just you. If you right click the start button you get all the old familiar Win7 options except for entering a file search.

Thanks OP, this appears to be an excellent deal. BestBuy has the 32gb version listed online. I would probably like to see it in person there before I buy. Also, it doesn't have a rear facing camera. But I have a Nokia Lumia phone which takes great pictures, and with SkyDrive all pictures are immediately available on all devices. So I think I this won't be an issue.

wow i just bought this on Amazon for 400

TellyTubby said:   
Microsoft thought that people missed the start button. In reality they missed the start menu, rejecting the metro interface on all but the tablets. Sad. But you know what? Microsoft knows what's best for you... or so they think.

The joke is that when Apple does it, fans rejoice.  When Microsoft does it, they are some how the villain.  

There's just no win in this situation.  I cant tell you how many people blame Windows for their own mistakes.  It's more often than not.

GWBush said:   
TellyTubby said:   

The joke is that when Apple does it, fans rejoice.  When Microsoft does it, they are some how the villain.  

There's just no win in this situation.  I cant tell you how many people blame Windows for their own mistakes.  It's more often than not.

When Apple does it, they give customers what they want... or they make them want they have. Microsoft, on the other hand, are completely oblivious to customer wants.

thanks

Nice find, thanks OP!

throwexception said:   Pretty good deal. It's a full Windows 8.1, so regular x86 windows programs will work. Screen resolution is "meh" compared to iOS or Android tablets in this range, but then again you get Windows compatibility.

Just note that this is a budget tablet/hybrid so it doesn't have the usual digitizer/stylus of Windows 8 tablets.

I myself need the digitizer to do my work/sketch diagrams, so I'll pass until something else comes along.

If someone owns this, I would love to hear about performance, real life performance and not stats. (Esp because x86 programs need a lot more CPU power to be "responsive"; does Bay Trail fit the bill?)

Max Screen Resolution 1366*768

Pretty familiar with Bay Trail. It's the first Atom that isn't lame.

Awesome deal. Makes iPad 2 seem like a joke at $299.

For those who complain about the missing "Start Menu" just add $5 to the price and download "Start 8".
This app basically will make the start button behave in a very similar way as with Windows 7 and
it only takes a couple of minutes to install
 There are other programs that can do this for free like "Classic Shell" but I think "Start 8" is the best alternative.. .

xpolarx said:   For those who complain about the missing "Start Menu" just add $5 to the price and download "Start 8".
This app basically will make the start button behave in a very similar way as with Windows 7 and
it only takes a couple of minutes to install
 There are other programs that can do this for free like "Classic Shell" but I think "Start 8" is the best alternative.. .

Classic Shell was updated due to 8.1, and the integration seems seemless. I would try it before spending 5 bux.

gtdad said:   
  No, it's just you. If you right click the start button you get all the old familiar Win7 options except for entering a file search.

Thanks OP, this appears to be an excellent deal. BestBuy has the 32gb version listed online. I would probably like to see it in person there before I buy. Also, it doesn't have a rear facing camera. But I have a Nokia Lumia phone which takes great pictures, and with SkyDrive all pictures are immediately available on all devices. So I think I this won't be an issue.

Thanks.  I was hoping to see the traditional Start context menu as to to Control Panel menu.  Another option to this is "Windows Key + x"  which also brings up the same menu.

excluding games, can this basically be a full featured notebook?

elptrainerny said:   excluding games, can this basically be a full featured notebook?
  Basically, yes

However, take into consideration that the keyboard will be smaller than those you can see in larger laptops

elptrainerny said:   excluding games, can this basically be a full featured notebook?
  Basically, yes

However, take into consideration that the keyboard will be smaller than those you can see in larger laptops

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014