• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Staples 3TB Toshiba Canvio USB 3.0 External Hard Drive $90 with coupon code 43326

Linky

Staples
See Staples coupons that earn Up to 2.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
I've done this with other drives...be aware your warranty will be voided.

With a 3 year warranty there is a decent chance... (more)

BenH (Nov. 03, 2013 @ 1:04a) |

Expired.

steamduck (Nov. 03, 2013 @ 9:42p) |

Great deal, I bought two of the Toshiba. I'll probably take it out of the enclosure. Reviews seem to indicate the enclos... (more)

thinkN (Nov. 04, 2013 @ 7:20p) |

Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

The site does not accept the coupon code. Saying it needs a 16 digit code.

Waiting for Black Friday. What do you think we will see 2TB and 3TB drives go for? I'm out of space.

wwNYC said:   The site does not accept the coupon code. Saying it needs a 16 digit code.
​They are having a bug in the system due to recent site update.
Place the order and then call/chat to get $20 refunded.

mymiura said:   Waiting for Black Friday. What do you think we will see 2TB and 3TB drives go for? I'm out of space.
  I actually predict they'll be slightly more expensive.The last couple years BF deals haven't really been deals. Gotta take advantage of the truly good deals whenever they show up

The coupon code works now.

Don't forget about the $25 off $75 from Amex to make this even better.

what 25 off 75 amex

Lousy hard drive, poor quality, fails after short term use.

Logged into my Amex, don't see any Staples offer...

anyone know if we can shuck the external casing and use this internally?

Reviews on Newegg are not too good (Text). According to one review, the internal drive is a DT01ACA300, which also has pretty mediocre reviews (Text)

Need to be careful with large hard drives such as these with such compressed platters of data.

You better not be counting on it as a vital backup solution, because these are more likely to go out on you than an internal 1TB-2TB hard drive.

donsanedrin said:   Need to be careful with large hard drives such as these with such compressed platters of data.

You better not be counting on it as a vital backup solution, because these are more likely to go out on you than an internal 1TB-2TB hard drive.

Thats bull, External hard drive failures are mostly caused by user damage and inadequate cooling. External drives are the almost the same exact as their internal counterparts, only difference is the enclosure. 

and yes external hard drives can be removed and used as internal drives.. just make sure the external is actually a sata or ide or whatever you need first by doing research.

Good Deal under $90 for 3TB! got 1 thanks

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-149-389&SortF...
See reviews - more 1 star reviews than 5 star at Newegg. The reports of drives failing quite often isn't normal for this.

Sweeter with new $25 off of $100 coupon today!

Finally got it.

Coupon code emailed to me was 5928-6711-0528-8928

adorable said:   http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=22-149-389&SortF... 
See reviews - more 1 star reviews than 5 star at Newegg. The reports of drives failing quite often isn't normal for this.

I'd take online reviews with a grain of salt. You are more likely to get people complaining about a drive failing than raving about it online when it does what it's supposed to do, store data. I would also be wary of an n= 79 sample size in what is a commodity product.

$90 for a 3TB drive with a 3 year warranty is about the best I've seen around. I went ahead and purchased one to backup my HTPC.
Just arrived from Staples in a shipping box that was 2x the size as the drive with NO packing material inside. That means the internal box was being knocked around pretty good.

I'm not too worried yet as the drive heads should be parked when the drive is powered off. I'm in the process of copying over about 1TB of data from one system that I need to migrate over to the system this will backup. Even at only 5400RPM this is likely quicker than transferring it over my WiFi.

These external drives are mostly meant for *backup* - so even if the failure rate is worse than average (which I doubt - read enough and you will find people railing against every single manufacturer) what you are loosing are your backups and not your primary data. Anyone who is trusting data that can't be lost to a single drive (no RAID or backups) are always going to be in for trouble.

That fact that Toshiba still gives a 3 year warranty when most others have dropped to 1-2 means a great deal to me.

Great! I just order one. It is one of the best deal of its kind.

Yes you can break the casing on this and use it internal.

I just did the exact thing myself, you can even drop another drive into the casing.
The adapter for USB and power is just a small card that plugs into the SATA port on the
drive.

No issues.

stiltner said:   Yes you can break the casing on this and use it internal.

I just did the exact thing myself, you can even drop another drive into the casing.
The adapter for USB and power is just a small card that plugs into the SATA port on the
drive.

No issues.

I've done this with other drives...be aware your warranty will be voided.

With a 3 year warranty there is a decent chance the drive my fail and you can get it replaced free...but only if it is in the case,

The other drives I've done this on I was carefully able to extract the drive without damaging the casing, so I can put it back in if I need warranty repair.

Expired.

Great deal, I bought two of the Toshiba. I'll probably take it out of the enclosure. Reviews seem to indicate the enclosure is faulty.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014