Bodum clearance at JC Penney 75% off. YMMV.

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 123 4
  • Text Only
It's not different than buying the grinder separately. If you are rotating multiple coupons/stores, I guess it just makes everything more efficient and easier since it's limited on one $10/$25 per transaction. I guess it was easier for me.

aarzi said:   
coolbreeze said:   Yeah, went a bit nuts. Not pictured: a ton of simplehuman stuff (sensor soap pumps, like 10 pump friendly soap packages, coffee, etc).
All 3 stores that I went to, the soaps were past their expiration dates.
coolbreeze said:   In order for the $10 off $25 to work on a transaction with an electronic (i.e. grinder) just plan out the purchase so that you have at least $25 worth of other stuff (french press, knife, etc) during checkout. If you just try to buy the grinder or coffee maker alone, it won't work. Add a french press and knife, it will work just fine.
How is this different to buying the grinder separately? The coupon applies to the non-grinder portion of your purchase, and not to the grinder.

I had no idea soap expires. What happens when it expires? Is it suddenly trash? (sarcasm, it's fine - simplehuman just wants you to throw away and buy more). It's soap, not raw meat.

Expired soap is a complete non-concern for me. At $3.99 for sensor pump friendly soap, I was in like flynn.

Loses it's aroma. Cleaning ability depreciates.

aarzi said:   Loses it's aroma. Cleaning ability depreciates.
  At the price, good by me. Hell, I eat expired food and life to tell the tale.

All I said was that the stores I went to had soaps past their expiration dates. There was no dig at you. Do what you please, but don;t defend yourself unnecessarily.

Well you replied that it loses it's aroma and doesn't clean as well. I was just conversing. Good by me, that's for sure. Not defending soap, lol.

Anyone know if there are any burr grinders left in JCP Herald Square or in Jersey City? I just found out about this awesome deal! I tried calling multiple times today, but no one picked up.

shaggymutt said:   
f2000sa said:   Any new 10/25 CPN?

Will drop by tonight to see whether there is any new markdown.

Just curious, but did anyone succeed in convincing the JCP reps to sell them the giant Bodum french press that some of the stores had as a decoration? The one that held about 5 gallons?

I called Bodum and a rather amused rep asked one of the other reps, coming back to say that it was apparently made of the same materials as the smaller french presses they sold. Now whether I'd actually trust it enough to pour gallons of boiling water into it... hmm. I guess it's moot, since the manager at my local shop said theirs was slated to go back to Bodum. But did anyone manage to get this item?

Employees said they wouldn't know how to ring it up without a SKU.
Eventually they put up a sign saying it's not for sale and that Bodum wants it back.

On another note, listening to the JCP Q3 earnings conference call, they said they're continuing to "clear out" all the unpopular (read: expensive) merchandise purchased under prior management.
Guess we should look out for more clearance fire sales at JCP in the near future as they make room for cheaper brands. CEO said they will continue clearing out old merchandise (at a loss) until Spring 2014, especially in the home department. Maybe we need a thread for JCP home department clearance.

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2013/11/07/jc-penney-comparable-sales-rise-0-percent-in-october/     

They said October 2013 had the first increase in same-store sales in 2 years.

"Penney said changes in its home department are starting to resonate, with the unit seeing the greatest percentage sales increase among all of its divisions in October."

Lol. Maybe the Bodum clearance had something to do with it.

Best line from the conference call: "Some people have accused us of giving the products away [...] that's just not true"

gd78 said:   Employees said they wouldn't know how to ring it up without a SKU.
Eventually they put up a sign saying it's not for sale and that Bodum wants it back.

I love that they were getting asked so many times that they put up a sign. That was the coolest coffeemaker I'd seen in a long time.
Best line from the conference call: "Some people have accused us of giving the products away [...] that's just not true"

Discounts were good for some items, lousy for others. If the CEO wanted rid of the stuff, though, he couldn't have asked any more for it - they had really gone all-in on that stuff and the customers clearly weren't interested at anything like the original price.

Hey, according to the news reports, they also had some kind of office supply line called "Ordning & Reda." I don't recall seeing that in the JCP's I visited, but I was pretty focused on Bodum. Did you see any of that while cruising around?

aarzi said:   
coolbreeze said:   Yeah, went a bit nuts. Not pictured: a ton of simplehuman stuff (sensor soap pumps, like 10 pump friendly soap packages, coffee, etc).
All 3 stores that I went to, the soaps were past their expiration dates.
coolbreeze said:   In order for the $10 off $25 to work on a transaction with an electronic (i.e. grinder) just plan out the purchase so that you have at least $25 worth of other stuff (french press, knife, etc) during checkout. If you just try to buy the grinder or coffee maker alone, it won't work. Add a french press and knife, it will work just fine.
How is this different to buying the grinder separately? The coupon applies to the non-grinder portion of your purchase, and not to the grinder.

Soaps have expiration dates?

shaggymutt said:   
Discounts were good for some items, lousy for others. If the CEO wanted rid of the stuff, though, he couldn't have asked any more for it - they had really gone all-in on that stuff and the customers clearly weren't interested at anything like the original price.

No one in his/her right mind should be paying MSRP for that stuff.  I was in the market for a burr grinder, but I would've waited until it reach (or got close to) the Ama$on low (which was around $60, I think, for the burr grinder).  Would I have run out to JCP for that price?  Maybe?  ($38 OTOH ...)

Hoogineer said:   

Exactly. JCP's prices were one big reason the stuff wasn't moving in the first place. $400+ for a stand mixer? At that price it had better be a high-end KitchenAid.

shaggymutt said:   
gd78 said:   Employees said they wouldn't know how to ring it up without a SKU.

I love that they were getting asked so many times that they put up a sign. That was the coolest coffeemaker I'd seen in a long time.

Hey, according to the news reports, they also had some kind of office supply line called "Ordning & Reda." I don't recall seeing that in the JCP's I visited, but I was pretty focused on Bodum. Did you see any of that while cruising around?

Yup, I found a whole stash. It was located next to the salon and optometrist and item pickup counter (hidden away in a corner).
They had bags, notebooks, ipad cases, passport holders, etc.

Although it was leather, it just felt really cheap so I didn't buy anything. It's like if H&M or Ikea made stationary.
Prices weren't amazing either.

Still have some Bodum at my JCP in Oregon. Also lots and lots of Ordning in the same weird place at previous poster found it. Lots of clearance of all sorts of household stuff, lamps, pots and pans. Haven't been in JCP in years but really liked what I saw, too bad most of it was on clearance. I think they didn't give it enough time. Classier, if that means anything, than Target.

I don't think Bodum, and especially the Ordning, items fit in with the demographic shoppers in the stores around me. Perhaps Penney stores in higher-end malls, etc. but most people that I've even mentioned these to weren't at all familiar with Bodum (and especially Ordning, I had to look that up myself!).  Hate to say it, but in a way we've become such a disposable society that even if the Bodum is worth a higher price due to quality, most people I know just buy the cheapest and when it breaks, buy another one. Ha, don't get me started on that issue!

Same result in Jersey City: I left one grinder for someone else should they want it. There are a ton of bodum items though, but just one green grinder.

Don't bother calling, the jerk on the line said they had none.  I just got the burr grinder because that's all I needed. I'll leave the rest to anyone who needs it. =)

Happy holidays!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014