• Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
shooooooooooooooooooot OOS

TRex23 said:   
rigor said:   http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/...    

quickspecs in html: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/productbulletin.ht...   

just throw a cheap video card in man! low profile x16 you can easily do 35 watt with active cooling (check for clearance) - cheapo GT630 or GT640 (GK104/GDDR5/64bit/4gb) would be great!

My son is really thinking about getting this.  But I have a question about your suggestion for a video card to add-on.  The GT630 (and, I assume the GT640) say that they need a 300W power supply.  This unit has a 240W power supply.  I don't understand the whole 35W thing, other than the HP specs say that the maximum draw (?) I guess, from the slot is 35W.  Can you say with confidence that one of these cards would work in this unit?  Any other suggestions for video cards as well?  Thanks in advance.

From my 10+ years experience building and fixing computers; I don't see it being a problem what so ever.  They are recommending a 300 W power supply because of the cheap quality of some units out there.  For instance, my Nvidia 9800GT says it wants a 500W PSU minimum; but I've been running it 3+ years on a Corsair 430W.

Those low power cards aren't going to add enough draw to cause problems.  I'm willing to bet if you ordered this model with a video card installed they would still give you the same PSU.

anndesikis said:   shooooooooooooooooooot OOS
They still have some B grades for $134.99
B GRADE 

I ordered one of the B Grade ones for my mom. She just wants something to do some Facebook and browsing on. The three day shipping is $9.99 instead of the $4.99 on the OPs deal but the free shipping option is available as well.

Anyone know if I can install XP or another version of Windows on this before going online and "activating?" I want to give the Windows 7 professional discs and key to someone else.

Hound said:   Anyone know if I can install XP or another version of Windows on this before going online and "activating?" I want to give the Windows 7 professional discs and key to someone else.
Hmmm, good question. I am not sure if this comes with Win7 32 bit already installed???
BUT, if you haven't yet tried Linux Mint 15 for FREE (a favorite FW option) and have an extra HD to play with, I think you will be amazed at how fast Linux is and how intuitive the user interface is, somewhere between Windows and Mac.

Well, nice surprise. Opened the box today and there is room below the DVD drive to accept another HD. There is already a power plug there. Just need a drive plug as there are plenty of ports on the motherboard.
Anyone see a reason this wouldn't work? Heat etc?? I am not that much of a techie. I do have various 3.5 SATA drives and a 64G SSD lying around.

brusbrother said:   Well, nice surprise. Opened the box today and there is room below the DVD drive to accept another HD. There is already a power plug there. Just need a drive plug as there are plenty of ports on the motherboard.
Anyone see a reason this wouldn't work? Heat etc?? I am not that much of a techie. I do have various 3.5 SATA drives and a 64G SSD lying around.

You should be fine with another drive.  Here's some helpful info on the chassis, etc  hp info  
Mine arrived today also.  I'm surprised by the cleanliness and condition of the unit.  It has a WD Blue 250gb 7200 rpm drive in it dated Dec 2012.  2 Win 7 DVD's, a 32 and 64 bit.  Says for a refurbished PC only.  The key label is on the computer, placed over the original.  It came with the 64 bit version preinstalled.

Does Windows 7 32 or 64 bit come preinstalled?
Is there a benefit to use one over the other with this rig?
Once you activate one version does the other version become useless or can you install it later on the same (or other) computer?
Edit: Sorry I didn't read your last line about 64 bit preinstalled. So far I only installed another HD and used Linux Mint 32 bit.
What is the best way to maximize the benefit of having these two discs? Are they good on other HP computers or other makers?

Can someone suggest a graphics card for this system ?

Malhotrasoft said:   Can someone suggest a graphics card for this system ?

I installed this, "Sapphire Radeon HD 6450 1GB GDDR3 Low Profile".  Yes, there are much better cards for the same or less money, but others have mentioned this card as being good for low wattage power-supply systems like this HP.

It comes with a piece that allows you to split it into two pieces so that it will fit.  So far I've had no problems. 

Note that most stores have a $10 rebate that expires on Nov. 30th.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014