Disclaimer

Amazon
Get Up to 3.0% Cash Back in the Following Departments:
Member Summary

kindle
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
YES, there was a Kindle fire HD THAT WAS SOLD TWO MONTHS AGO, AND IT DOES HAVE A FRONT FACING CAMERA.  I purchased two o... (more)

jeanie304 (Nov. 19, 2013 @ 11:14p) |

Is this the same one on Best Buy for $99?

JediFreeStuff (Nov. 26, 2013 @ 8:32p) |

This was a very active quest amongst us....wow...now I have see this in person first after all this discussion.

MIGHTYMACHONE (Dec. 17, 2013 @ 5:53p) |

• Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Nice deal. Especially if coupons stack.

Rooting time.

I have a 1st generation Kindle Fire.  These are notorious for having a problem with the microUSB charging port, and mine developed the same problem.

I contacted Amazon and although it was out of warranty, they offered to discount a new one.  $100 off high end models, or $50 off lower end models.

Even their 7" HD 16Gb refurbished model was $129, so $79 after the discount they were willing to offer.  I passed.

This seems like a great price for a new unit on BF.  Maybe I can get Amazon to match it, then deduct another $50.    I really doubt it though.

which kindle fire is this gonna be? do they even make the first gen ones anymore?? with the "$169" value it looks like the fire hd 16gb with special offers.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CU0NSCU/ref=fs_jw
if so its a decent tablet for under 100$ or would you suggest a different model for the under 100 range? (i refuse to get the coby or super crappy tablets after the pandigital fiasco i got)

ronj75 said:   which kindle fire is this gonna be? do they even make the first gen ones anymore?? with the "$169" value it looks like the fire hd 16gb with special offers.
if so its a decent tablet for under 100$ or would you suggest a different model for the under 100 range? (i refuse to get the coby or super crappy tablets after the pandigital fiasco i got)

As explained in the other thread, it is the new 16GB model.

ronj75 said:   which kindle fire is this gonna be? do they even make the first gen ones anymore?? with the "$169" value it looks like the fire hd 16gb with special offers.

According to StaplesGuy , who allegedly works for Stapl3s and who commented in OP's cited website, it's going to be a 1st gen non-HD Kindle Fire.

I don't see anywhere where Staples has provided the original price or the memory size. All we have to go on is a picture. That picture is of a Kindle Fire HD. The 1st gen Fire and the Fire HD look different and the picture on Staples ad is clearly a Fire HD.

Kindle Fire 7
Disclaimer
If you click on the link in the ad, you get this page: Oh Hi, I'm a Kindle Fire HD 7" 16gb!!!     So yeah, very good deal. This may be the BG thingy I go for. Merry Christmas, mom!

wordgirl said:   If you click on the link in the ad, you get this page: Oh Hi, I'm a Kindle Fire HD 7" 16gb!!!      So yeah, very good deal. This may be the BG thingy I go for. Merry Christmas, mom!

What link are you talking about?  The link at bdads.net?  When I look at the ad on the Staples website, there isn't any link.

Does Staples typically put their BF items online, or is this gonna be in-store only? I have no Staples near me.

dennisfuller said:   I don't see anywhere where Staples has provided the original price or the memory size. All we have to go on is a picture. That picture is of a Kindle Fire HD. The 1st gen Fire and the Fire HD look different and the picture on Staples ad is clearly a Fire HD.

wordgirl said:   If you click on the link in the ad, you get this page: Oh Hi, I'm a Kindle Fire HD 7" 16gb!!!         So yeah, very good deal. This may be the BG thingy I go for. Merry Christmas, mom!
Is the image from the actual ad? Since the only thing we've seen is that image and not an official ad from Stapl3s itself, I don't think it's safe to definitively say that it's one or the other. By linking to StaplesGuy's comment, I was simply pointing out the possibility that it could very well be the 1st gen, not the 2nd gen as is being widely claimed.

Personally, going only by the photo, I think it's the 1st gen because there doesn't appear to be a front-facing camera on the device.

fantosho said:   
dennisfuller said:   I don't see anywhere where Staples has provided the original price or the memory size. All we have to go on is a picture. That picture is of a Kindle Fire HD. The 1st gen Fire and the Fire HD look different and the picture on Staples ad is clearly a Fire HD.

wordgirl said:   If you click on the link in the ad, you get this page: Oh Hi, I'm a Kindle Fire HD 7" 16gb!!!          So yeah, very good deal. This may be the BG thingy I go for. Merry Christmas, mom!
Is the image from the actual ad? Since the only thing we've seen is that image and not an official ad from Stapl3s itself, I don't think it's safe to definitively say that it's one or the other. By linking to StaplesGuy's comment, I was simply pointing out the possibility that it could very well be the 1st gen, not the 2nd gen as is being widely claimed.

Personally, going only by the photo, I think it's the 1st gen because there doesn't appear to be a front-facing camera on the device.

Neither the 1st gen or HD have cameras.  The picture in the Staples ad is a Fire HD.

Yep Dennisfuller...you've got it right it seems

If you click on the OP link above, http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Staples/Ad, it takes you to the Staples BF ad. When you hover over the Kindle photo, a window pops up with a hyperlink that's named, "Details". When you click on Details, it says: "Staples has the Kindle Fire 7'' HD 16GB Tablet, Wifi (New) you need for home office or business. FREE delivery on all orders over $19.99, plus Rewards Members get 5 percent back on everything!"

Sweet!

Ok I don't know too much about tablets. I want to get one for my wife for Christmas and was lucky enough to land the 1st Gen Google Nexus 7 32gb. I need to know if the kindle fire or another tablet in this price range would be a better option. Thanks for any help

Kindle Fire HD camera
Disclaimer
dennisfuller said:   Neither the 1st gen or HD have cameras.  The picture in the Staples ad is a Fire HD.
The Kindle Fire HD (2nd gen) does indeed have a front-facing camera. The 1st gen does not.

Edit: I uploaded an image that will hopefully clear this up.

fantosho said:   
dennisfuller said:   Neither the 1st gen or HD have cameras.  The picture in the Staples ad is a Fire HD.
The Kindle Fire HD (2nd gen) does indeed have a front-facing camera. The 1st gen does not.

Edit: I uploaded an image that will hopefully clear this up.

I'm not an expert but maybe the 1st gen Fire HD had a camera and the 2nd gen Fire HD doesn't? Look at the Amazon Kindle page and you will clearly see that Fire HD has no camera.  Same for the Staples site.

With that being said, the Staple full add has been leaked and it's clear to me that this is NOT a Fire HD.  The full add gives us the Staples product number 984032.  This product number is not currently available on the site.  I did some Googling and found the information below from an old Fatwallet post which shows this Staples product number used in reference to the non-HD Fire.  $79 for a tablet with 8Gb of storage and no-SD card?  I wouldn't pay them $50 for this.

Kindle Fire 7" with Special Offers [984032] LINK for info purposes only 
--- Model: 53-000401
--- 7" multi-touch color display; 1024x600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, IPS (in-plane switching) technology
--- 8GB internal storage, approximately 5.5GB available for user content
--- Dual-core, 1.2GHz OMAP4430 processor 

dennisfuller said:   I'm not an expert but maybe the 1st gen Fire HD had a camera and the 2nd gen Fire HD doesn't? Look at the Amazon Kindle page and you will clearly see that Fire HD has no camera.  Same for the Staples site.

With that being said, the Staple full add has been leaked and it's clear to me that this is NOT a Fire HD.  The full add gives us the Staples product number 984032.  This product number is not currently available on the site.  I did some Googling and found the information below from an old Fatwallet post which shows this Staples product number used in reference to the non-HD Fire.  $79 for a tablet with 8Gb of storage and no-SD card?  I wouldn't pay them $50 for this.

--- 7" multi-touch color display; 1024x600 pixel resolution at 169 ppi, IPS (in-plane switching) technology

I think this "generation" talk is causing confusion. The 1st gen device is just called the Kindle Fire. The 2nd gen is the Kindle Fire HD. The 3rd gen is the Kindle Fire HDX.

But anyway, like you said, since Stapl3s has officially posted their Black Friday ad, this discussion is kind of pointless now. The model number and the description they provide is for the 1st gen.

fantosho said:   
dennisfuller said:   I'm not an expert but maybe the 1st gen Fire HD had a camera and the 2nd gen Fire HD doesn't? Look at the Amazon Kindle page and you will clearly see that Fire HD has no camera.  Same for the Staples site.

I think this "generation" talk is causing confusion. The 1st gen device is just called the Kindle Fire. The 2nd gen is the Kindle Fire HD. The 3rd gen is the Kindle Fire HDX.

But anyway, like you said, since Stapl3s has officially posted their Black Friday ad, this discussion is kind of pointless now. The model number and the description they provide is for the 1st gen.

Wrong.  The new Fire HD has a faster processor, no camera, and slightly different case than the previous Fire HD.  This is not the HDX.

dennisfuller said:   
fantosho said:   

Wrong.  The new Fire HD has a faster processor, no camera, and slightly different case than the previous Fire HD.  This is not the HDX.

What the heck are you talking about?? Where am I wrong? And when did I say this was the HDX? I said it was the 1st gen. Why are we still having this discussion when Stapl3s has already released the ad anyway?

So now this is confirmed to be 1st gen (non-HD) it doesn't seem like such a hot deal... too bad.

Here's a link to help clear up the confusion about the different generations of the Kindle Fire. The new Kindle Fire HD is actually a replacement for the old Kindle, that's why it doesn't have a camera. The successor to the older Kindle Fire HD is the HDX.
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/specifications.html

I was able to purchase the new Fire HD for $84 (after gift card) with a targeted $40 offer and $15 gift card offer they were running that day. It was my plan to root and install a custom rom the day I got. I should have done my homework, the new Kindle's all have a new OS that is not rootable with the same methods from the older Kindles.  It has a locked bootloader that will be a bit of a challenge for an android dev to find a way to unlock it.  All is not lost as it appears that most launchers can be side loaded with the caveat that some of those won't allow for wallpapers or widgets. I have a daughter who loves books so I'll gift it to her for Christmas and look for something else.

dennisfuller said:   Here's a link to help clear up the confusion about the different generations of the Kindle Fire. The new Kindle Fire HD is actually a replacement for the old Kindle, that's why it doesn't have a camera. The successor to the older Kindle Fire HD is the HDX.
https://developer.amazon.com/sdk/fire/specifications.html 

I was able to purchase the new Fire HD for $84 (after gift card) with a targeted $40 offer and $15 gift card offer they were running that day. It was my plan to root and install a custom rom the day I got. I should have done my homework, the new Kindle's all have a new OS that is not rootable with the same methods from the older Kindles.  It has a locked bootloader that will be a bit of a challenge for an android dev to find a way to unlock it.  All is not lost as it appears that most launchers can be side loaded with the caveat that some of those won't allow for wallpapers or widgets. I have a daughter who loves books so I'll gift it to her for Christmas and look for something else.

Still people will argue on this without reading , Thanks

YES, there was a Kindle fire HD THAT WAS SOLD TWO MONTHS AGO, AND IT DOES HAVE A FRONT FACING CAMERA.  I purchased two of them.  I love them!!

Is this the same one on Best Buy for $99?

This was a very active quest amongst us....wow...now I have see this in person first after all this discussion.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014