• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:

Meritline.com
Need a Meritline.com coupon that earns 3.5% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
As long as I get a channel that has local news, it will be worth it.  One day I hope to go back to DSL and tell Comcast ... (more)

chrislk1986 (Nov. 17, 2013 @ 11:35p) |

To start with it's got a ready made coupler to fit to your TV so you're not just jamming a hangar in and hoping it'll st... (more)

bugsie (Nov. 18, 2013 @ 9:57a) |

Anyone else experiencing extremely slow shipping? The item has apparently been sitting about 2hrs away since thursday. D... (more)

chrislk1986 (Nov. 26, 2013 @ 11:42p) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

in for one, thx OP!

Thanks. In for one.

Just dropped cable TV today, so perfect timing! i41

Thank you, ordered 2, one for my elderly neighbor.

In for one.

I use this with an HTPC located in my sub-basement. It gets pretty good reception even though it is surrounded by concrete.

site is down?

just got one

Could someone tell me if I still need to buy the converter box in order to see the local channels? Or is this all I needed for me to drop my cable company?

Thanks

asnking said:   Could someone tell me if I still need to buy the converter box in order to see the local channels? Or is this all I needed for me to drop my cable company?

Thanks

Assuming that your TV has Digital tuner (any recent TV should have it), then yes this is all you need.
If not, then it would be good time (Black Friday) for you to pick up a TV with digital tuner.

Does a "digital" antenna pick up HD signal?

poordealguy said:   Does a "digital" antenna pick up HD signal?
  Yes, so long as the local station offers HD.  I believe not all local programming is HD, but it is now all digital.

jbserra said:   
  Yes, so long as the local station offers HD.  I believe not all local programming is HD, but it is now all digital.

So does an "analog" antenna.

Thanks! Am starting to wonder whether cost of cable is justified lol so ordered one just to have in case...

$7.99 for me

notnow said:   $7.99 for me
  Did you use the coupon code?

Slickone said:   
jbserra said:   

So does an "analog" antenna.

Right said! There's nothing "digital" about an antenna. It is the sending/receiving mod/demod that makes the difference.

@poordealguy;18101779 , It will pick up HD, your TV/tuner card/box will need to support ATSC

How does this compare with the RCA Basic Indoor Antenna ?

coupon expired?

dwayne33 said:   How does this compare with the RCA Basic Indoor Antenna     ?

Well to start with, this one isn't made by RCA.

Seriously though, you posted an Amazon link (with reviews) and there's a listing for this one (also with reviews) on the same site. Why not do a little reading and decide for yourself? I personally prefer to make my own decisions (even if based on other reviews) than to just throw out a general question and ask people who may or may not have experience using both (which you'd have to do in order to make the comparison you've requested) to tell me which I should buy. YMMV.

Worth a shot since the clear QAM channels are now scrambled (Comcast) and I don't feel like using their DTA to get non-HD local channels, when I can get them for free OTA.

What do I need to make this work with a computer monitor (has built in speakers & hdmi).  Is there some sort of tuner interface?

bugsie said:   
dwayne33 said:   How does this compare with the RCA Basic Indoor Antenna      ?

Seriously though, you posted an Amazon link (with reviews) and there's a listing for this one (also with reviews) on the same site. Why not do a little reading and decide for yourself? I personally prefer to make my own decisions (even if based on other reviews) than to just throw out a general question and ask people who may or may not have experience using both (which you'd have to do in order to make the comparison you've requested) to tell me which I should buy. YMMV.

A fair question? Why is this flat antenna better than a wire coat hanger?

You need a TV tuner between your computer and the monitor, or if you don't use a computer, you need one of these: http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/tv+tuner+for+monitor.html . I know. I had a brand new 23 inch monitor, so hooked it up to a tuner box, and the box to power and an antenna.  Works as well as a small tv. But you cannot do it without a TV tuner, unless your monitor has one built in, which I doubt.

chrislk1986 said:   Worth a shot since the clear QAM channels are now scrambled (Comcast) and I don't feel like using their DTA to get non-HD local channels, when I can get them for free OTA.
  Same situation I'm on. They just scrambled mine about 2-3 weeks ago. And I hate the DTA.
But I doubt this antenna is any better than an RCA branded antenna (which they don't actually make). Everyone says it's really about where you place it, your location, and luck. But I think a coat hanger antenna in the attic is the best choice.

Slickone said:   
chrislk1986 said:   Worth a shot since the clear QAM channels are now scrambled (Comcast) and I don't feel like using their DTA to get non-HD local channels, when I can get them for free OTA.
  Same situation I'm on. They just scrambled mine about 2-3 weeks ago. And I hate the DTA.
But I doubt this antenna is any better than an RCA branded antenna (which they don't actually make). Everyone says it's really about where you place it, your location, and luck. But I think a coat hanger antenna in the attic is the best choice.

As long as I get a channel that has local news, it will be worth it.  One day I hope to go back to DSL and tell Comcast to piss off.  Unfortunately the house we are renting was remodeled without phone, only cable.

rpi1967 said:   
bugsie said:   
dwayne33 said:   How does this compare with the RCA Basic Indoor Antenna       ?

A fair question? Why is this flat antenna better than a wire coat hanger?

To start with it's got a ready made coupler to fit to your TV so you're not just jamming a hangar in and hoping it'll stay. As to reception quality...it may not be better. Only you will know when you try it for yourself (as is the case with almost all external OTA antennas).

Anyone else experiencing extremely slow shipping? The item has apparently been sitting about 2hrs away since thursday. Doesn't seem normal. Of course, it will probably show up tomorrow now that I mentioned it.

NVM.  Just showed up, like I thought it might.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014