Home Depot CREE LED bulbs discounted

Archived From: Expired Deals
  • Go to page :
  • 1 2
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Not sure if this is nationwide, but in CA, the Cree energy rebates have kicked in and the 6, 8.5, and 9 watt Cree LED 10-year bulbs have gone on sale. 
6 watt is $4.97 (was $9.97)
8.5 watt is $7.97 (was $17.97)
9.5 watt flood is $14.97 (was $19.97)
13.5 watt is $9.97 (was $19.97)

Discovercard also has 10% HomeDepot CashBack for the holidays. Free store pickup.
 

Home Depot
See Home Depot discounts that earn 2.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

LED bulbs (12.77kB)
Thanks Wemic
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
I bought a 8.5W (60W equiv) for $8 in central PA area. It is the best mimic of a traditional incandescent that 'I've s... (more)

ranger203 (Jan. 05, 2014 @ 11:25a) |

At the $9.97 price point, not better than the WalMart 60w equiv at $8.88, which I've used here.
The WalMart bulb is quit... (more)

adorable (Jan. 05, 2014 @ 1:27p) |

It is the sun that warms Earth, not humans.

Toddler (Jan. 05, 2014 @ 6:20p) |


"Not available in your currently localized store"

Must be local

Thanks OP...I love these lights but the price is crazy considering I'm looking at replacing 15-20 bulbs throughout the house. This just made it a whole lot easier....glad I waited. Thanks! Bummer, but the floods aren't coming up for me. Got a few spots in the house I could use those, but they are coming up as full price. Only 40w and 60w coming up on sale.

Hmm...must be regional in CA...doesn't seem to be coming up at the OP's listed prices down here in the LA area...testing a zip for the Bay Area in NorCal it seems to work. Is this subsidized by PG&E in the Bay Area?

I believe it is national.

in Baltimore area some Full price others showing :

Item is not sold at your local store.
Please choose an alternate pickup store

Watch out if you are planning to use these with a dimmer.  Even though they are listed as compatible with Lutron dimmers (on both CREE and Lutron websites), the current revision of these bulbs has been changed since Lutron tested them, and they hum like crazy with all Lutron dimmers - possibly others as well.  The bulbs are great without dimmers, but I had several applications that needed dimmers and all three spots, using 2 different wattages of these bulbs, were hummers.

Lutron Tech Support didn't know what was changed, simply that they were different from what they had originally verified as compatible.

The good news is the HD took them back without any question.

These are available in my area (Jacksonville, FL) but at the was prices.

Some are available in Providence,
Cree 9.5-Watt (65W) Soft White (2700K) BR30 Dimmable LED Flood Light Bulb $13.97
Cree 6-Watt (40W) A19 Soft White (2700K) Dimmable LED Light Bulb (E)* $6.97 / each
the other two are not

No discounted prices showing up in North Atlanta suburbs (Cumming, Alpharetta, Dawsonville, etc.) Most of the bulbs aren't even available for purchase.

No Discounts Shown in Ohio River Vally

in DC metro:

6 watt    is $5.97 (was $9.97)
9.5 watt flood    is $11.97 (was $19.97)

UPDATE:
Maryland prices above
DC - 6 watt a dollar cheaper, no 9.5 watt
Virgina - full price

My local Costco had Philipps 13.5 watt (60 watt equivalent) on sale for $4.50 (after $10.00 AEP instant rebate). I bought 3, they are excellent. This is my first LED bulb purchase, I am totally happy. But one thing, is they say they are cool for the touch. When I touch the glass part, they are just warm, not hot but when I touch the metal housing that holds the glass, it is freakingly hot. Is it normal?

They do put off some heat...

I live in So Cal and they come up full price at local store, unless in-store price is different. Been waiting for a good sale on LED light bulbs.

No discount in Atlanta.

@donrull
I do not see them in Jax (32256). Which zip did you search?

$9.97 Cree 13.5w (60w) Soft White TW series dimmable   
$7.97 Cree 8.5w (40w) Soft White dimmable TW series   

I live in SGV area of Socal and I am pretty sure the OP's prices came up for me last night; however, this morning only 2 of the bulbs are on sale for my zip code, and they are the newer versions of the bulbs.  The TW series has a CRI of 93 (vs. 80 for the original bulb), is dimmable and has a multi-color band across the front of the package. 

 

Only 8.5W and 13.5W are on sale for stores in Alhambra, CA (S. Cal)

The Cree 13.5W (60W) LED bulbs doesn't make much sense. We could get the CFL 14W 60W 4 pack for $9. .5W energy saving for 1 bulb doesn't make much sense to me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-14-Watt-60W-Daylight-CFL-Lig...

Not sold in Tampa, FL area

psxzombie said:   in DC metro:

6 watt   is $5.97 (was $9.97)
9.5 watt flood   is $11.97 (was $19.97)

  No-go in NoVa however.

SSi, there are more differences between CFL and LED than purchase price and energy consumption. You're right that in most cases, CFL costs less in the near term, and probably are never a horrible option long-term.

But LED lights should last significantly longer. Ratings vary and may not always be reliable, but an LED might claim 2.5 to 5 times longer life than the CFL you linked.
LED lights also start up at full brightness immediately. CFL require a little warmup time.
LED lights work well in cold. CFL don't, taking even longer to get to full brightness.
LED lights require no special disposal. CFL bulbs have a tiny amount of mercury and should not be disposed with ordinary trash.

Boochi said:   My local Costco had Philipps 13.5 watt (60 watt equivalent) on sale for $4.50 (after $10.00 AEP instant rebate). I bought 3, they are excellent. This is my first LED bulb purchase, I am totally happy. But one thing, is they say they are cool for the touch. When I touch the glass part, they are just warm, not hot but when I touch the metal housing that holds the glass, it is freakingly hot. Is it normal?
  If something it freakingly hot, some one is paying for the energy to keep it that hot.  And that my friend is you.  Put a watt meter and see how much are they consuming.

I would consider these over CFL any day even if they are double in price because CFLs do not last unless they are left turned ON most of the time. They cannot withstand frequent on/off switching and will die a pre-mature death. It feels as if I have trashed more CFLs than incandescent. Just waiting for a 100 and 150w versions of the LEDs

SlimTim said:   SSi, there are more differences between CFL and LED than purchase price and energy consumption. You're right that in most cases, CFL costs less in the near term, and probably are never a horrible option long-term.

But LED lights should last significantly longer. Ratings vary and may not always be reliable, but an LED might claim 2.5 to 5 times longer life than the CFL you linked.
LED lights also start up at full brightness immediately. CFL require a little warmup time.
LED lights work well in cold. CFL don't, taking even longer to get to full brightness.
LED lights require no special disposal. CFL bulbs have a tiny amount of mercury and should not be disposed with ordinary trash.


I use CFL bulbs mostly in the hallways and basements. One thing I've noticed is that over the years, bulbs sometimes tend to disappear. I think my tenants steal them when they run out of bulbs so it's not worth the extra expense if the bulb gets stolen. CFL bulbs can be had for 50 cents to $1 when the local utilities are chipping in for them. They used to be cheaper years ago, but I think some of the raw materials used in them have gone up in price. It's nice that LED bulbs have come down in price, when they first started out, they were $20-$40 each. Maybe if they come down a bit more, they'd be worth it.

king0fSpades said:   
Boochi said:   My local Costco had Philipps 13.5 watt (60 watt equivalent) on sale for $4.50 (after $10.00 AEP instant rebate). I bought 3, they are excellent. This is my first LED bulb purchase, I am totally happy. But one thing, is they say they are cool for the touch. When I touch the glass part, they are just warm, not hot but when I touch the metal housing that holds the glass, it is freakingly hot. Is it normal?
  If something it freakingly hot, some one is paying for the energy to keep it that hot.  And that my friend is you.  Put a watt meter and see how much are they consuming.


LED bulbs use a heat sink which is the metal part. That's supposed to be normal for an LED bulb but as mentioned earlier, if you think you have a defective one, you can put a watt meter on it.



  

None are carried in the stores near me in Spring, TX. Disappointing indeed.

drblevins said:   I would consider these over CFL any day even if they are double in price because CFLs do not last unless they are left turned ON most of the time. They cannot withstand frequent on/off switching and will die a pre-mature death. It feels as if I have trashed more CFLs than incandescent. Just waiting for a 100 and 150w versions of the LEDs
 

 I suggest you buy decent quality CFLs then.  I've had the same two 60W equivalents in my bedroom overhead for years now, and they get turned off and on all the time.  They've been there so long I was thinking about replacing them just because I heard CFLs start to dim after a number of years, even if you can't always tell.

As for the prices and life of LEDs... even though the LEDs last longer than CFLs (and cost many times more) the electronics driving the LEDs can fail too, even if the LED itself is still good.  So just like CFLs, they also fail sometimes before they should (sometimes long before).

All of them except the flood light are on sale at Camarillo, CA location.

Another thing that I hate with every CFL I have ever had is that they take a few minutes to get to full brightness.

no go in broomfield CO

The Cree 60W Warm White LED bulb seems to have disappeared from HD's web site listing.
The Cree 60W Warm White is what I'm currently using one of, and seems to be perfect, color wise.
They still offer the Cree 40W Warm White, but only in 6-packs, not singly. And those are temporarily OOS until mid-December.
The Cree 60W Daylight & 60W Soft White are still available as single bulbs & 6-packs, however.
"Philips 423244 10-Watt 60-Watt L-Prize Award Winning LED Light Bulb" seems to be even more energy efficient, except that the price has increased recently on Amazon from under $40 to now: $65.99 for a single bulb.

SlimTim said:   SSi, there are more differences between CFL and LED than purchase price and energy consumption. You're right that in most cases, CFL costs less in the near term, and probably are never a horrible option long-term.

But LED lights should last significantly longer. Ratings vary and may not always be reliable, but an LED might claim 2.5 to 5 times longer life than the CFL you linked.
LED lights also start up at full brightness immediately. CFL require a little warmup time.
LED lights work well in cold. CFL don't, taking even longer to get to full brightness.
LED lights require no special disposal. CFL bulbs have a tiny amount of mercury and should not be disposed with ordinary trash.

CFLs also put out UV light which degrades paint, photographs, paintings, etc. If you're dubious, find a frame near a CFL light that's on alot, remove it from the wall and you'll see an outline where the paint beneath the frame hasn't deteriorated from the UV light.

koss said:   "Not available in your currently localized store"

Must be local

  
All LED and CFL bulb discounts are provided by the utility companies servicing the areas. 

SSi said:   The Cree 13.5W (60W) LED bulbs doesn't make much sense. We could get the CFL 14W 60W 4 pack for $9. .5W energy saving for 1 bulb doesn't make much sense to me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-14-Watt-60W-Daylight-CFL-Lig...

  It doesn't make sense because you're not looking at the full picture.

  • This LED bulb will last 5x longer then the CFL.
  • This LED bulb won't break if you look at it funny and spill toxic mercury.
  • This LED bulb has far superior light quality (the one you mention is their high CRI model).
  • This LED bulb isn't temperature sensitive like a CFL
  • This LED bulb reaches full brightness immediately unlike CFL
  • Finally This LED bulb isn't intermittent use sensitive like a CFL.

okashiraaa said:   
SSi said:   The Cree 13.5W (60W) LED bulbs doesn't make much sense. We could get the CFL 14W 60W 4 pack for $9. .5W energy saving for 1 bulb doesn't make much sense to me.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart-14-Watt-60W-Daylight-CFL-Lig...

  It doesn't make sense because you're not looking at the full picture.

  • This LED bulb will last 5x longer then the CFL.
  • This LED bulb won't break if you look at it funny and spill toxic mercury.
  • This LED bulb has far superior light quality (the one you mention is their high CRI model).
  • This LED bulb isn't temperature sensitive like a CFL
  • This LED bulb reaches full brightness immediately unlike CFL
  • Finally This LED bulb isn't intermittent use sensitive like a CFL.


  
There is absolutely no evidence to suggest LED bulbs last 5x longer than CFL.  Do they last longer probably.  2x longer, maybe...  3X, who knows...  5x I seriously doubt it.  Even if they do last 2x longer, by the time that the CFL fails, LED prices will be half what they are now.

I've been using CFLs for years, and in only one case did it actually "break" and spill toxic mercury.  The amount of toxic mercury spilled was trivial.  This whole toxic mercury thing is really a red herring pushed by luddites.  Not one of the people complaining about toxic mercury say a word about the mercury in the thermometers they used as a kid or the mercury in the mercury switches they used in their thermostats for decades.  The amount of mercury in those is DRASTICALLY more, and all is likely to be released if one broke.

Your other complaints about CFL are somewhat valid.  Although if you use CFLs non-intermittently the turn on time becomes irrelevant.

Anyway, I'm a big proponent of LEDs, I own shares of Cree, but personally, I'm going to give it a few years for the prices to fall before I buy LED lights, til then I'll stick with CFL for most applications.

Hi all,
If you're in CA (silicon valley), I came across this page where you can get a rebate of up to $10 per bulb (limit 6). Link to qualifying bulbs
The exact model numbers are very close, but not exact. Still might be worth a try.

Overview of rebate page

 
n/m

SlimTim said:   SSi, there are more differences between CFL and LED than purchase price and energy consumption. You're right that in most cases, CFL costs less in the near term, and probably are never a horrible option long-term.

But LED lights should last significantly longer. Ratings vary and may not always be reliable, but an LED might claim 2.5 to 5 times longer life than the CFL you linked.
LED lights also start up at full brightness immediately. CFL require a little warmup time.
LED lights work well in cold. CFL don't, taking even longer to get to full brightness.
LED lights require no special disposal. CFL bulbs have a tiny amount of mercury and should not be disposed with ordinary trash.

  
Since LED lights are popular only recently, it is a myth that they last longer.
I have 2 CFL light bulb last longer than 15+ years and still going.
 

Skipping 18 Messages...
itsme13 said:   
ocarrymehome said:   who cares, incandescent for me..have about 300 of them..
  and you would also say Global Warming is not Human-Caused

  It is the sun that warms Earth, not humans.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014