• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Effective 11/15/13, Sprint and Best Buy have come together to launch Unlimited, My Way Student Promotion, which gives students up to 12 months of free talk, text and 1GB data on the Unlimited, My Way plan with the purchase of a smartphone at Best Buy. That’s a savings of up to $70/month off the base monthly rate charge!

Students preferring a basic phone can also get 12 months of free talk and text with blocked data for $50/month. All students can add unlimited data for an additional $10/month. All lines can enjoy unlimited talk, text and data with the Sprint Unlimited Guarantee — not just for now, but for life.

Also, for every additional new phone line of service (referral lines) activated on Unlimited, My Way or My All-in on the account with the student line at Best Buy, the account gets an additional 12 months of free talk, text and 1GB data for the student lines to share. Only student lines share free service.

faq   

Potential deal: Get Nexus 5 for $349(may need price match) and free service for a year. 

Sprint
See Sprint promo codes that earn Up to $125.00 FatWallet Cash Back.
Best Buy
See Best Buy promo codes that earn 1.5% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary

sprint (53.80kB)
Thanks BMWLVR82
Disclaimer
Most Recent Posts
Stay away from Sprint as far as you can. They hold your phones hostage. And never unlock them for domestic service. You ... (more)

mickey75 (Jan. 03, 2014 @ 3:30p) |

All the Nexus 5 are carrier unlocked so no worries. The others on the list, however are locked to Sprint.

sprof (Jan. 03, 2014 @ 3:35p) |

Did anybody try the price protection on Discover CC with play.google.com store? Does it work?

fhfg (Jan. 04, 2014 @ 12:34a) |

Hmm.

I plan on ditching Sprint for Verizon, but I still have a year on my contract. Might be worth doing this to get a phone for the kiddo and then move them all when my contract is up.

So anybody figured much you have to pay every month (tax, FCC ect)?

ramtor said:   So anybody figured much you have to pay every month (tax, FCC ect)?

Depends on the free plan you sign-up for (data or non-data). Data Plan $70/month value ~ $11/month in fees/taxes... Non-data plan $50/month value ~ $8/month fees and taxes.. Here is the info from Sprint's website in the OP's FAQ link:

Do I have to pay any taxes or fees?Yes. Sprint surcharges (including USF charge of up to 15.6% of your charges, up to $2.50 Admin and .40 Reg./line/month) and any taxes and local fees that apply. See www.sprint.com/taxesandfees  for details. 

Direct Linky from Best BuyEligible Phones for Sprint Student Offer
Model Student Offer Price Open-Box Price
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 $749.99  
Samsung Galaxy Note II $699.99  
Samsung Galaxy S 4 $649.99  
Samsung Galaxy S III $549.99  
Samsung Galaxy S II $549.99  
Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini $449.99  
Samsung Galaxy Victory $299.99  
iPhone 5S 16GB $699.99 $649.00
iPhone 5S 32GB $799.99 $749.00
iPhone 5S 64GB $899.99 $849.00
iPhone 5C 16GB $599.99 $549.00
iPhone 5C 32GB $699.99 $649.00
iPhone 4S 8GB $499.99 $450.00
LG G2 $599.99  
LG Optimus G $599.99  
LG Nexus 5 $449.98  
LG Viper 4G LTE $449.98  
LG Rumor Reflex $329.99  
LG Rumor Reflex S $279.99  
HTC One $599.99  
HTC EVO 4G LTE $599.99  
Motorola Moto X $599.99  
Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE $449.99  
Kyocera Rise $299.98  
Kyocera Kona $249.98  

Was thinking of getting two phones for my kids, but doesn't look like the 2nd line would count as a referral. From faq, sounds like the referral lines need to be regular accounts with a 24 month commitment. With Best Buy's higher price on the Nexus 5 and taxes on service, the T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan still looks like the better deal.

in the more info area: All student lines can add unlimited data for $10/month.

Some have had success getting best buy to price match google play store on nexus 5 to $349.

so based on the FAQ, it appears I could get my kindergarten student a phone for me...

Is the Sprint Galaxy 5 also GSM capable????

LG Nexus 5 also supports GSM.

i bought the nexus 5 on the 9th at best buy anyway to sign up for this?

NewToFatWalletUser said:   i bought the nexus 5 on the 9th at best buy anyway to sign up for this?
  Return it and repurchase under this program.

"with the purchase of a smartphone at Best Buy"

well that kills it

if they allow pricematch & you use the $25 amex sync then you're down to $324.99 + tax for the nexus 5. Add $121 for the years worth of taxes and you've got a pretty decent deal. Out of pocket of $38 a month and you get a free phone.

Does anyone know if you could cancel the service in the middle - say if you're not happy w/ the reception?

Does anyone know if you could cancel the service in the middle - say if you're not happy w/ the reception?

You can cancel any time.

How do we tell if the phones can convert after the year to use on a different provider?  I.E. I like verizon coverage better, but for 1 months free, it is good enough for my kid.

bbymvr said:   How do we tell if the phones can convert after the year to use on a different provider?  I.E. I like verizon coverage better, but for 1 months free, it is good enough for my kid.

Sprint is pretty restrictive on this. For example with iPhones they will unlock the phone for use with international SIMs but not domestic, even after the 2 year contract is up.

How do we tell if the phones can convert after the year to use on a different provider? I.E. I like verizon coverage better, but for 1 months free, it is good enough for my kid

Nexus 5 is not locked. You can use it with any GSM carrier. All other phones beside Nexus 5 are CDMA only. You can not use it abroad.

Is this a better deal than going with a prepaid MVNO? Seems a little high given that you have to buy an un-subsidized phone.

Same or better as an MVNO depending on what MVNO you look at. 

$699 for an iphone 5s.  Can get it for $199 on a 2 year renewal, or $99 for a port in or maybe even free under certain referral programs.  But for our sake assume $199, with a 2 year contract.  The contract will run you $50+ a month if you share with others or $90 if you do not.  So $600-$1000 for the first year or $799-$1200 with the phone, just for the 1st year (and you still have a year left on your contract).

Or, you buy the phone for $699, and pay say $200 in Sprint fees ($10 for unlimited data a month plus fees), so $899 for the 1st year and non contract.  Then at the end of the year you go month to month, or cancel this plan, and sign a 2 year deal then and get another iphone 5s and have one for backup. Or sell it in a year for $200-$300 probably 

Any phones that work with Sprint Spark Data?
Also - how much would it be to add a tablet?

Wish I could do this in a Sprint store rather than BB

Some Credit cards offer price protection. You may try it with Nexus 5 by matching google's price and get $100 Back. YMMV

Effective Nov 15, Sprint to Block Its MVNOs from Activating Galaxy S4, HTC One, Nexus 5 and Others   

It is reported that Sprint relaxed this rule for Nexus 5 sold directly by google. 

What is the return and exchange policy for Unlimited, My Way Student Promotion?

Customers will be subject to Best Buy’s return and exchange policy for their phone purchase. The service on the line will be subject to Sprint’s return policy (www.sprint.com/returns).

Receipt (2.27MB)
Disclaimer
The price is not that high. I got an LG G2 for $449 plus tax.

wuyili said:   What is the return and exchange policy for Unlimited, My Way Student Promotion?

Customers will be subject to Best Buy’s return and exchange policy for their phone purchase. The service on the line will be subject to Sprint’s return policy (www.sprint.com/returns).

I was told 14 days on the phone, but three days if you want Sprint to refund the $36 activation fee.

wuyili said:   The price is not that high. I got an LG G2 for $449 plus tax.

You got lucky. But according to the deal, if you receive a discount on the phone, you're not qualified for the student pricing plan. Good luck.

I do see that a few of the prices have changed since I posted the list above. IMHO, the best deal on this list is the S4 Mini, as it has Sprint Spark and is $50 cheaper than Sprint sells the phone for. I've highlighted the changes:

Eligible Phones for Sprint Student Offer
Model Student Offer Price Open-Box Price
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 $749.99  
Samsung Galaxy Note II $699.99  
Samsung Galaxy S 4 $649.99  
Samsung Galaxy S III $549.99  
Samsung Galaxy S II $549.99  
Samsung Galaxy S 4 Mini $349.99  
Samsung Galaxy Victory $299.99  
iPhone 5S 16GB $699.99 $649.00
iPhone 5S 32GB $799.99 $749.00
iPhone 5S 64GB $899.99 $849.00
iPhone 5C 16GB $599.99 $549.00
iPhone 5C 32GB $699.99 $649.00
iPhone 4S 8GB $500.99 $450.00
LG G2 $599.99  
LG Optimus G $599.99  
LG Nexus 5 $449.98  
LG Viper 4G LTE $449.98  
LG Rumor Reflex $329.99  
LG Rumor Reflex S $99.99  
HTC One $599.99  
HTC EVO 4G LTE $599.99  
Motorola Moto X $599.99  
Motorola Photon Q 4G LTE $449.99  
Kyocera Rise $299.98  
Kyocera Kona $49.99  

wuyili said:   The price is not that high. I got an LG G2 for $449 plus tax.
I wanted to get one too but it's $599 for G2 in my BB
You're lucky!

The Best Buy site says this offer ends on Saturday, 1/4/2014. If the Kyocera Kona isn't a misprint (it was $250, now just $50), that's a heck of deal. A regular phone with a year of unlimited talk and text for $50 total is, without a doubt, the best deal I've ever seen.

ramtor said:   So anybody figured much you have to pay every month (tax, FCC ect)?
  On the $70 plan form my Nexus 5 it's $7 and change in Massachusetts.
cgott42 said:   Any phones that work with Sprint Spark Data?

The Nexus 5 works with Spark.

lambo881 said:   Was thinking of getting two phones for my kids, but doesn't look like the 2nd line would count as a referral. From faq, sounds like the referral lines need to be regular accounts with a 24 month commitment. With Best Buy's higher price on the Nexus 5 and taxes on service, the T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan still looks like the better deal.
  Stay away from Sprint. Sprint data speed is a joke.

mickey75 said:   
lambo881 said:   Was thinking of getting two phones for my kids, but doesn't look like the 2nd line would count as a referral. From faq, sounds like the referral lines need to be regular accounts with a 24 month commitment. With Best Buy's higher price on the Nexus 5 and taxes on service, the T-Mobile $30 prepaid plan still looks like the better deal.
  Stay away from Sprint. Sprint data speed is a joke.

Sprint data speed varies on your location.

cjbell said:   
bbymvr said:   How do we tell if the phones can convert after the year to use on a different provider?  I.E. I like verizon coverage better, but for 1 months free, it is good enough for my kid.

Sprint is pretty restrictive on this. For example with iPhones they will unlock the phone for use with international SIMs but not domestic, even after the 2 year contract is up.

Stay away from Sprint as far as you can. They hold your phones hostage. And never unlock them for domestic service. You better off to any other providers but Sprint. I left Sprint for TMO and never look back. Very happy camper now.

All the Nexus 5 are carrier unlocked so no worries. The others on the list, however are locked to Sprint.

Did anybody try the price protection on Discover CC with play.google.com store? Does it work?

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014