• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
      Link

• Dual Core 2.5GHz
  • 2GB RAM (DDR2)
  • 160GB HDD Capacity
  • Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit (CSR says you get disc as pictured in ad)
  • Benchmark cpu 1477
  • DVD/CD-RW
  • Small form factor
  • keyboard and mouse

Yeah, I know it's not a MacBook Pro but for less than the cost of a Win 7 license, your parents will love you!
If there is room for a second drive, install Linux Mint and it will fly.

Newegg
Need a Newegg coupon that earns 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back?
Member Summary

Lenovo Dual Core 2.5GHz 2GB 160GB
Thanks Valtron9000
Disclaimer
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Any Linky?

lovelybones said:   Any Linky?
  Added.

Pentium Dual-Core E5200 @ 2.50GHz passmark = 1,477 

Is this the right cpu?

At the price point, I wouldn't complain. Any higher and DDR2 becomes a factor - it's expensive compared to DDR3.

more than good enough for htpc duties!

Not a refurb but more like re-conditioned 3 yr old corporate lease return. 

brusbrother said:    If there is room for a second drive, install Linux Mint and it will fly.

Your post prompted me to burn an ISO to DVD to try out on an idle machine.  What was this supposed to do for me?  It tells me it's booting, then nothing.  Not looking for tech support... just curious what this distro is supposed to be/do that's so special.

labboypro said:   
brusbrother said:    If there is room for a second drive, install Linux Mint and it will fly.

Your post prompted me to burn an ISO to DVD to try out on an idle machine.  What was this supposed to do for me?  It tells me it's booting, then nothing.  Not looking for tech support... just curious what this distro is supposed to be/do that's so special.

If graphics engine is not loading, you need to use command line entries and troubleshoot.

Linux mint is light weight when compared to Ubuntu. I assume that you wanted to know what is special about Mint....

ussvoyager04 said:   
labboypro said:   

If graphics engine is not loading, you need to use command line entries and troubleshoot.

Linux mint is light weight when compared to Ubuntu. I assume that you wanted to know what is special about Mint....

Did you verify the MDDS sum of the burn? There is a Linux forum that will guide you through any difficulties with older boxes.
Mint 15 Cinnamon works well with Dual Cores like thie machine in this post. If you are using a Pentium box, try Mint 15 Xfce version. Works fine on every older box I've tried.
If installed correctly, (not just run from the Live CD which is much slower),  Mint is a very lightweight distro of Linux that gives a novice a taste of what a FREE OS can look like.
The graphic user interface will be familiar to those coming from Win XP. Somewhere between MS and MAC in feel.
Mint 15 comes preloaded with open source programs like Libre and Gimp 2 which easily substitiutes for Windows Office and Photoshop as well as VLC Media Player and Brassero for most all of your media/burning needs.
If you want to have a distro without much maintence, Mint 13 LTS (long term support) is supported until 2017 unlike Win XP or earlier versions of OSX which lose support on systems that are otherwise still more than adequate for their purpose.
I started experimenting with Linux many years ago but these latest versions are much more friendly.
I am using it right now on an HP dual core refurb machine from a post last week and everything boots and loads faster than my XP machines. Boot time is about 40 seconds with non SSD drive.
Oh, and did I mention... it is FREE.

I feel like phenom ii x4s are similar vintage, where are those refurbs at!!

can you use the window license on another computer ?

Sold out.

ussvoyager04 said:   

I gave up (easily) and tried Ubuntu 13.10.  Basically the same thing... only the "welcome" screen was purple instead of mint green.  After I tell it to install, the screen turns off and nothing.  The machine is a generic Dell 400SC (an ancient FW mega-deal) machine that has been running W2K8 for MANY years without issue.  Machine is fine.  I was hoping for a quick and easy install... not having to deconstruct some obscure keystrokes for my particular machine.  I haven't done anything meaningful with Linux since Redhat 2 and 3 days, when I did this kind of stuff on purpose.  Now I'm old and crusty (and tired), so it needs to be idiot-resistant or I'll get distracted by some other shiny object in the room

labboypro said:   
ussvoyager04 said:   

I gave up (easily) and tried Ubuntu 13.10.  Basically the same thing... only the "welcome" screen was purple instead of mint green.  After I tell it to install, the screen turns off and nothing.  The machine is a generic Dell 400SC (an ancient FW mega-deal) machine that has been running W2K8 for MANY years without issue.  Machine is fine.  I was hoping for a quick and easy install... not having to deconstruct some obscure keystrokes for my particular machine.  I haven't done anything meaningful with Linux since Redhat 2 and 3 days, when I did this kind of stuff on purpose.  Now I'm old and crusty (and tired), so it needs to be idiot-resistant or I'll get distracted by some other shiny object in the room

I too reside in the Land of Geezer.
Try Linux Mint 13 Xfce version as described above and report back while we are both this side of the grave.

would this guy from Tiger Direct be better at being a media center?

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details...

ricoscoro said:   would this guy from Tiger Direct be better at being a media center?

Don't forget Amex offers $30 off $100 if you link TD to your account (Account page / Your Offers) which would sweeten this deal.
A similar unit sold at NE last few weeks for $139 without wi-fi but with larger HD and Win 7 Professional 64 bit that included the installation discs.
It is a solid unit and Windows 7 seems a good fallback for those who hate Windows 8.

brusbrother said:   
ricoscoro said:   would this guy from Tiger Direct be better at being a media center?

Don't forget Amex offers $30 off $100 if you link TD to your account (Account page / Your Offers) which would sweeten this deal.
A similar unit sold at NE last few weeks for $139 without wi-fi but with larger HD and Win 7 Professional 64 bit that included the installation discs.
It is a solid unit and Windows 7 seems a good fallback for those who hate Windows 8.

That deal keeps popping up on Newegg, but this guy appears to be even smaller and maybe already has an HDMI output on it.  I was thinking about this TigerDirect HP vs. the Newegg HP.  Just not sure which would be better especially due to size.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014