• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Promo code EMCYTZT4883 (Good 11/24 only)
Free saver shipping.  1% FW brings it down a whisker too.
Linky 

Newegg
See Newegg discounts that earn 1.0% FatWallet Cash Back.
Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:

Last bf $99 for 3tb, so 4tb should be less than $133.

Non BF pricing for 2tb was down to around $60 before the thailand flooding. So should be $120 or less for 4tb, heck should be even less for BF, but they are trying to see how much they can get away with.

Is it feasible to pull the drive from this enclosure use it as an internal hard drive and then use this enclosure for something else?  $139 is a good price for a 4 TB internal drive.

BradMajors said:   Is it feasible to pull the drive from this enclosure use it as an internal hard drive and then use this enclosure for something else?  $139 is a good price for a 4 TB internal drive.

Yes I have done this and it works fine.  BUT you need to keep the enclosure for warranty purpsoes (a few years ago you were able to claim the warranty on the internal drive but no longer).  I have purchased probably a half dozen of the 3TB and 4TB versions of these drives.  I have had to RMA two already (one each of 3TB and 4TB) and one of the 4TB came with a dead USB interface (they can be swapped between these drives so I was able to test it).  I didn't care since I pulling the internal drive but just FYI.  I'd still buy one if I needed one.  Also these drives seem to do some odd things in the SATA/USB interface so that a drive that is partitioned in the enclosure will not be recongized outside of it so if you are going to use internally pull and then put your data on it. 

I don't think the 4TB drives are worth it this year. The 3TB drives are going for $27-$33 per TB. I'd stick with those.

As for pulling the drive, there are a few things to be aware of:
1. Some older computers won't recognize the drive, or the full size, when installed internally.
2. The warranty on the drive is usually shorter than on a bare drive - this one is two years, but many are only one year, versus three to five years for bare drives.
3. This enclosure should work fine with other drives if you want to reuse it, but others (western digital, in my experience) may be locked to the drive and useless.
4. As with any shipped hard drive these days, run a full test to make sure it's working. You don't want to fill it with data and then have it fail.

Back to $169.00

Teddy1547 said:   Back to $169.00
  It only shows that until you enter the promo code the OP listed.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

TRUSTe online privacy certification

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2014